The Messenger

Marked By Kim Namjoon

Dear Diary, 

My life isn't simple...I can't remember a time when it was. But, for the past few weeks, things have been a struggle. It has been a month and half since the accident at the soccer game. My new nickname at school was "wheels" because of my wheelchair. All of the student body seemed to have forgotten about me scoring the last point of the game. The posters of my "ion service" were up again. The school President took most of them down, but there were too many to toss in the trash. These posters were in the girl's bathroom, the boy's bathroom, the cafeteria, the hallways, the library, my own classroom. There was still no justice for me with no one stepping forward to testify against Bora and her wrong doing. Bts continued to strut the halls preying on the weak as usual. Namjoon and Bora broke up for the fifth time this week. Five minutes didn't pass before he had a new piece of on his arm. My brain continued to stay scattered with my feelings torwards Namjoon although it didn't matter since I had become invisible to him again. All of my favorite activities seemed impossible to do, the only person who kept me positive through this atrocious week was, Hongbin, who I spent most of my days with now.  Nari was always busy with dating, now that she'd given up on Hongbin. Being pretty and popular, it was all she cared about. My father continued to curse me while in his presence, but didn't dare to lay a finger on me because of my injury. It was hell, but Hongbin took me away from that. He made me forget my problems with his jokes, smile, pictures, art, and songs he played on his guitar. 

"Hongbin-ah!" I called his name as he ran around the meadow.  The sun lighting up his complextion. I stared at his glowing skin. He is truly beautiful I could see why Nari fancied him.  He turned around quickly with his hands closed together. 

"I got you something." He smiled making his dimples prominent again.

"What is it?" I asked in an intrigued tone as he bowed down slightly to show me. He opened the palms of his hands revealing a butterfly. 

"Make a wish before it flies away." He demanded and I closed my eyes whilst exhaling, complying with his request.

"Lemme guess, you wished for us to get married and have ten kids?" He teased me and I hit his shoulder playfully.

"In your dreams!" I chuckled and he joined in.

"Who wouldn't want to marry, the breath-taking Lee Sujin?"

"A lot of people." My smile had now faded as I thought about how Namjoon fooled me. He made me believe he cared, when initially getting me in a wheelchair was his big plan. I kept asking myself how much of it was real. The almost kiss we shared before the soccer game, his apology, the way he stood up for me against BTS. My heart was aching to know. Yes, I hate Namjoon and he is my enemy. I really couldn't explain why it was such a disappointment to me. Maybe, it was because when I first saw him I found him attractive. Whatever the reason I needed to snap out of it. 

"Come on, that's not true. Why would you say that? You're wife material." He ruffled my hair.

"Really?" 

"Yes, that's why one day I plan to make you mine." He kissed the back of my hand and I blushed. 

"We'll see about that, prince charming." I teased.

"Which leads me to the big question." He kneeled down on one knee holding up an imaginary box, "the fall fling is coming up soon and you know there's no one else I'd rather go with." His cheeks turned a shade of pink and I giggled. He was so adorable who could turn him down? 

"I really appreciate the offer and I'd love to go, ut I'm in a wheelchair."

"So what? Your doctor said your bandage comes off in two weeks. The dance isn't until three weeks from now."

"Meaning? He's only removing the bandage because I healed faster than he thought, he said there is still a lot of therapy sessions I need to take in order to gain strength. My foot won't be the same for months."

"All you need is someone to lead you through the dance floor. I'll be that person." He persuade me and as much as the thought of loud music, dancing, wearing a dress, and accidentally drinking an alcoholic punch beverage scared me, I agreed. What was the harm in one dance?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It was later in the day that the rain decided to pour. Luckily, I was safe inside looking through my balconys' window, watching the rain drizzle down the glass looking at Namjoon's house. He were never home anymore (probably at the cabin in the woods). The strange thing was the obsession my mind created with him over the span of a couple of weeks. Because, he ignored my existence I craved more of him and felt the need to keep tabs on him. He saved me twice and I never got an answer why.  Then, he decides to break my foot...He left me with nothing. It was mysterious and all I wanted was answers on whether or not what we had before the actual game was real.  I bit my lip whilst looking through the glass door in our room. It was the first time in a while that Namjoon actually came home and he wasn't alone. Bora was on the back of his bike wearing his helmet and rain coat. They were both laughing and smiling trying to run inside the house before getting more wet. For a second I could've sworn Namjoon's eyes looked up to my window, and I backed away quickly hiding behind the silk beige curtains, hoping my face wasn't seen. I guess they got back together...What a surprise! Yeah, right we all saw that coming. They were the Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber of the school. Forever on and off.

Seconds later Nari entered the room releasing a long sigh before plopping down on her bed face first. She raised her feet in the air before banging her fists on her pillow and screaming into it.

"...Are you okay?" I asked already knowing what this conversation were going to be about. She sat up quickly getting ready to pour her heart out.

"It's just, I don't think he's the one for me. " Nari cried and I rolled my eyes.

"Hold on there, Nari. Isn't this the fourth guy you've dated this month? What's wrong with this one?"

"He's too masculine and not in a y way."

"The last guy was too feminine."

"I just can't seem to find a perfect balance with these guys. Maybe, I'm not over Hongbin." She cried into her pillow now and I wheeled over to pat her back. 

"It's okay, Nari. It's okay. Hongbin, isn't like the other guys at our school. He's better, that's why it's so hard for you to let go."

"I know!" She blew her nose into her pillow case and I cringed my nose in disgust before wheeling backwards.

"I mean, I've been reading seven magizine for like ever and it clearly states the more a guy pushes you away and ignores you it means he really wants you, but wants you to try harder. He wants to see how far you'll go for him and I'll go as far as the sun!!" She said dramatically and I bursts out laughing. Who actually could be so foolish to follow a magizine's advice? In fact, it's usually just the opposite.

"Nari, you can't be serious right now."

"I am dead serious. Look, it says it here. The magizines don't lie everything is real. He's just playing hard to get and I'm sick of the games. Why can't he just love me?" She began to sob again and I exhaled not wanting to deal with her love issues anymore. Isn't there more to high school then love, popularity, and ??  If so, then why did people make it seem like a big deal if you weren't "ually active" and why does everyone at my school try so hard to fit in? Why are they afraid to stand out? The constant questions in my head drove me absolutely mad. There truly was more to high school than this hell and drama they've created. High school is about finding yourself, finding your path, expressing how you feel, learning your limits, becoming more educated, joining your passions. Nari had everything in the world where I was considered nothing and it still wasn't enough. She wanted to have my best friend too. 

I were in the midst of wheeling myself away when she grabbed onto my arm and stared at me with her mascara covered racoon eyes.

"Please, Sujin. I'd give anything to have him as my date for the dance. Talk to him, please?" She sniffled the look in her chocolate orbs, desperate.

"And if you get him, will you be happy with everything else in your life? Will everything finally be perfect or will you still want more?" I asked and she didn't respond. I pulled my arm away before continuing to push the wheels on my chair. Walking around the house was easier now, I didn't always need my chair. Sometimes I would use crutches and that's what I were going to use now down the flight of stiars until I reached my second wheelchair that would take me to the lake near our house. I adjusted the camera wrapped around my neck as I wheeled myself along the wet grass. There were a giant tree right next to the lake. At the top branch I noticed a bird's nest with several eggs inside along with the mother bird. It was a beautiful scene to capture and I couldn't miss the opportunity. Not using common sense, I decided to stand without my crutches and hop my way over to the tree I attempted to climb. My doctor was right there was absolutely no strength in my foot, but the stubborn part of me screamed keep pushing so like the biggest idiot on the planet, I continued. I was so close to the scenery I could taste it, but one bad branch is what made my whole world turn upside down, literally. The branch snapped and I found myself falling in mid air when something amazing happened. 

Someone caught me. I could hear them panting with adrenaline as they held me in their arms bridal style. 

"Yah! What were you thinking? Why would you climb a tree with a cast on? You really are insane aish!" The boy complained and I recognized his voice right away.

"Hobi?" I asked and he placed me down into my wheelchair.

"You're lucky I was here to save you." 

"Why are you here? This is my property. Why are you on my property?" 

"Would you prefer I never crossed your 'border' and you end up in the hospital with another broken leg?" He retorted and I scoffed. This seemed like another set up and I decided to wheel away without giving him thanks even if I were grateful. I would never show respect, feelings, or trust torwards Namjoon and his evil disciples. They've only caused me pain and suffering. 

"So, you're just gonna leave without thanking me? What a brat!" I turned my chair around to face him.

"I never asked for your help. I just want you and your little dumb friends to stay away from me. All you do is cause trouble. I'm sick of seeing your dumb posters all around school and most of all I'm tired of seeing your dumb faces!"

"Is that really how you feel?" Hobi asked with his hands in front of him now and I nodded with a serious expression.

"This is my senior year! My senior year and you've ruined it! My dreams are ruined because of you and your psychotic friends!" I tried to hold back the tears, but they rolled down my cheeks as all of the events played through my head. Senior year is suppose to be the year everything feels wonderful, it's suppose to be epic not tragic. 

"Can we talk, Sujin?" Hobi begged.

"No...I never want to hear your voice again. Please, get off my property before I call my dad, he's a sherrif." I turned my back again promising not to wheel in his direction again, but my body couldn't resist when he said his next sentence.

"It's about Namjoon." With that name leaving Hobi's mouth I couldn't help but come to a complete stop. My shoulders tensed for a moment and I became breathless before exhaling. I turned my head in Hobi's direction seeing the sincerity in his eyes and I rememered the day Namjoon took things too far with me and hobi always looked genuinely concerned. Could it be possible he were concerned again? Maybe, something serious were going on that I weren't aware of.

"We have to talk about this quickly since he is your neighbour. I don't want to be seen."

"Spit it out then." 

"You're the first girl to ever stand up to Namjoon, because of that he reacted badly. He's pushed you on the ground, sabotaged your photography, made up rumours about you, destroyed your diary, sent you to jail, but breaking your leg isn't something he wanted. He didn't want to hurt you like that."

"So, what you're the little owl from Harry Potter delivering the message for him since he can't speak up for himself?" I retorted with a snooty expression. 

"You really don't get it, do you?" He asked whilst shaking his head in disapproval. There was the sound of a front door opening followed by giggling.

"Oh my gosh. Namjoonah, you're so funny. I never get tired of your jokes." Bora giggled and I rolled my eyes. 

"It's all for you babe. You make me a comedian." Namjoon lied making me scoff. It was at that moment their eyes landed on me and Bora cringed her nose in disgust. I turned to my side to see Hobi gone. He must've taken off as soon as he heard their voices. What is he a ninja?

"What is that disgusting wilder beast doing outside? I didn't know there were a farm near by, it must've escaped from it's cage." She remarked while Namjoon stood beside her quietly.

"I didn't know there were a brothel near by to have such a y person walking around in a beautiful neighbourhood like this. Wow. Amazing."

"Shut up, wheels! At least I can walk and play soccer if I wanted to. All you've got is your ugly little camera and fugly diary."

"I rather have a fugly diary then a nasty personality. Looks only go so far, Bora and as far as I can see yours are starting to fade. Maybe you should cut down on the makeup." We continued to go into the wrestling ring using our tongues as our weapons. We both narrowed our eyes at one another waiting for the next diss. 

"Oh, Sujin. I really don't know what I need to do to shut you up. I beat you up, I helped ruin your photography, and I broke your foot, but it's not enough is it? Maybe you just need to be put into a casket that'll make you stop. Won't it?"

"Maybe you should have your tongue cut out so no one can hear your annoying voice sounds good to me."

"You snarky little . You think you're better than me? You're nothing but a speck of dust. Everyone at school wish you were dead. Why won't you just end yourself already? Just do us the favor and die. Better yet kill yourself before the Fall fling. We don't wanna see you on our dance floor." She spat.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm gonna tear that dance floor apart."

"Is that so and how will you accomplish that, wheels?"

"Well, I've got the best date in the world. Hongbin and I both will be blowing your minds with our awesome moves."

"You and Hongbin? Awww two of the most hated people in school that's adorable. Maybe, you can even run for King and Queen." She laughed.

"Maybe."

"That's enough, seriously why are you wasting your time on that thing, let's just go." Namjoon grabbed Bora by the wrist gently guiding her to his motorcycle where she made sure to flick me the middle finger as they sped off. I sighed that's when I realized, the dance gave me an opportunity to perform my ultimate revenge...