First Day pt 2

Marked By Kim Namjoon

"We're not even at the school, yet!" Nari hissed.

"So? We'll hike it. It's two more blocks, right?" I asked in confirmation.

"Eung." We walked together side by side in the blazing sun for eleven minutes until we arrived to our destination, school.  Somehow Nari managed to stay dry while I had my face covered in sweat. I was almost positive the sleeves of my armpits were drenched as well. She embraced all of her friends as she entered the hallway, failing to introduce me to any of them. So, like the outcast I am, I decided to rush into the bathroom and fix myself up a bit. Afterwards, pulling out my butchered journal.

Dear Diary,

      I've only lived in Busan for two days, and I've already made an enemy. Why am I a walking target? I don't know what to do if I come face to face with him again. He's a criminal, what if he shoots me or stabs me? A very cringeworthy thought. Please, save me from myself and this school.

"Nice diary." A girl came out of the stall behind me now, washing her hands. I looked down at my book, the pages were filthy, some even ripped. 

"Yeah, it was."

"Are you new here?" She asked with a polite smile.

"Huh?"

"Don't be scared. It's just I've never seen your face before, but you remind me of someone." She walked circles around me trying to figure out my resemblance. Apparently, a light bulb dinged in her head because, she said

"Ah, now I know! You remind me of Han Nari, except you're not tall, your skin isn't as pale, oh and your lips aren't thin, you're not as skinny, you're hair's not light brown, your teeth aren't as straight as hers, and you're eyes aren't as big as hers, but they're pretty big---"

"Okay, I get it. She's my cousin. I'm Lee Sujin." I interjected tired of being compared to the golden child. 

"Ah! I thought so. I'm the school president, it's my job to know all the faces of this school, including new ones like yours. I have to make sure your transition runs smoothly. My name is Jung Eunji. Call me, Eunji."

"Pangawoyo!" I bowed slightly before returning my book to it's rightful place, my backpack.

"How about we get out of this smelly restroom and chat huh?" I nodded in agreement following her out to the hall. Jung Eunji also has long hair, long , straight, dark brown and down to her tailbone with bangs across her forehead. Her face beautifully round. 

"So, step into my office." She opened the door for me and I took a seat. 

"How has everyone been treating you so far, Sujin? Good? Bad? In between?" 

"Good...Very good." It was good to have no one notice your existence.

"No trouble?" She continued to interview me. 

A flashback came to mind of Namjoon threatening me.

"Oh no. Everything is fine." I stuttered now tapping my finger nails on her wooden desk. Apparently, this was convincing because she did not further pry into the situation.

"Great, because this school doesn't tolerate bullies. If someone is bothering you tell us, okay?" I nodded.

"this is one of the people we are currently having trouble with, I'm telling you this because, he is returning today. He was suspended for a while. His name is Park Jimin." She typed on the computer before turning the screen to me. It was the same guy from yesterday who played on the soccer field. "Oh and Kim Namjoon is also returning today." I almost screamed when his name met my ears. When I saw the boy in the image was indeed the same boy who ruined my journal. Nari wasn't lying. 

"Have you met him yet?" She asked. Beads of sweat petruded my forehead and I gnawed on my bottom lip nervously. My hands fidgeting with each other.

"Tell the truth." the voice in my head shouted, but the fear inside wouldn't allow it. I was never a snitch and I wasn't going to start today. What;s the worse that could happen?

"Nope, I've never seen him in my life!"

"Good, if you do see him, just stay away. He gets angry easily, okay?" I nodded, my heart pounding in my chest. 

"Looks like we're all done here. You know where your classes are, right?"

"Yes." I headed for the door, pausing as my hand reached the knob.

"Eunji?"

"Eung."

"What if someone did meet Kim Namjoon and made him angry? What do you suggests they do?"

"Run as fast as they possibly can or leave the city."

"MWO?!?" My heart stopped and she giggled.

"It was a joke. If it happened on school grounds just tell me or the principal, and we'll handle it. Anything else?"

"No. Thank you!" I rushed out of her office shutting the door behind me. The halls were empty just before the bell rung and that was my cue for being late to class. Yay!

   My first class was science, second was english II. Which, I told them wasn't necessary since I'm fluent both in Korean and English. Third class algebra II. Fourth Physical Ed, Fifth Social Studies, Sixth cooking class which I was actually thankful for. 

   At lunch time I avoided the cafeteria, there was no one I felt comfortable sitting with. Nari's table was full so, instead I went to the library. I ate my tuna kimbap while reading books about Korea's history. There was an overwhelming amount of things to learn for my course. We didn't learn about the korean war or gwangju massacre in California. It was fascinating and sad to know how many people suffered during these times. I closed my lunch box after eating and placed it into my backpack before getting up to grab another book. My english teacher told me there was no way to escape the class. It was mandatory, but I could study advanced english. 

I skimmed through the book shelf looking for the textbook. There was only one left labeled "Advanced English" satisfied, I removed the book, leaving a large gap on the shelf, revealing a pondering Namjoon in the next aisle. I gasped hoping he didn't see me before hiding behind several other books. Just stay quiet Sujin, he probably won't even notice you, my concious told me. He pulled a book from the spot I hid behind making me gasp his eyes landing on me now.

"Ige mwo ya?" he said under his breath while staring at me before purposely knocking down the others like dominos. I stood there frozen.

"Yah! It's you!" he frowned disappearing around the corner that led to my aisle. I tried to run away but, found myself bumping into something hard, collapsing to the floor with my books scattered everywhere.

I was now on all fours trying to retrieve the precious text books when a foot stepped on top of my advanced english book. I looked up to meet the eyes of the owner, of course it was Namjoon. He slid the book over to him before picking it up.

"Advanced English? Isn't this book to sophisticated for an under developed brain like yours?" He asked whilst reading the title before flipping through the pages.

"Aren't you in the wrong place? This is a library, not prison." I spat snatching my book from his hand. "I heard all about your little record." 

"My record? Wow, you're not as stupid as I thought. How did you find out, huh? Our school president, your classmates, Nari?" 

"How do you know Nari?"

"Who doesn't know her? Pale skin, long legs, angelic smile. She's beautiful." he sighed acting is if he were day dreaming about her.

"You're a sicko! You better stay away from my cousin you'd never have a chance with her!"

"Is that a joke? I don't even have to try. One look in the eyes and she's done. But, don't worry she's not the one I want. She may be beautiful, but she has one flaw..., she gossips way too much."

"What do you want then?" I asked my lips trembling as he pushed me against the shelf forcefully. He ran the back of his hand down my cheek whilst clicking his tongue.

"First, I want my cigarette back. So, give me a cigarette." 

"And I want my journal back, but that's not gonna happen is it?" I retorted and he exhaled before pulling me closer to him by the waist. I gasped when he leaned towards me looking at my lips then, eyes. He bit his bottom lip then smirked whilst slipping his hand into my jacket. 

"Yah! What are you doing? I don't have cigarettes in there.  I don't smoke! " I asked in fear thinking about stories.

"Don't flatter yourself, Sujin." he huffed before taking out money from my wallet then, throwing it on the floor. When I looked up he was gone and I wondered how he knew my name.