My Enemy, My Trainer

Marked By Kim Namjoon

Dear Diary, 

The negotiation was already made, it was now up to me to make sure things ran smoothly through the soccer game next week. The thought of playing at an actual pep rally brought butterflies to my stomach. It reminded me of sweet sweet California. My soccer team was the only place people truly accepted me. It was only then, that I became a character of importance other than that it was no different than the way people treated me now. I sat on the bleachers waiting for Leo to take me home when Namjoon suddenly pulled me up from the bleachers by my wrist. 

"Yah! What's your problem?" I whined. His expression was unamused as he dragged me to God knows where. I tried pulling his hand off of my wrist but his grip was too tight to reject. 

"Do you wanna stay on the team?" He asked me. This was a rhetorical question, of course. He knew there was no other place I'd rather be, besides Photography club..Which wasn't possible after the stunt he pulled last time.

"Ummm yeah, that was the whole point of me showing up today, remember?" I retorted with an attitude and he rolled his eyes.

"Then, you need to practice. Come on!" He led me to the parking lot near the soccer field, where his motorcycle reside. My eyes widened in shock when he placed a helmet into my hand. 

"Are you insane? There is no way, that I'm going to ride this thing! I'm not your ty cheerleader girlfriend who loves the feeling of fear and adrenaline. I actually have that thing in my head called a brain." I remarked with one hand on my hip.

"If you don't get on this bike, Sujin. I swear to God I will humiliate you in front of the entire school tomorrow. Don't tempt me." He threatened and I gulped. Not liking either of these scenarios, I tried to make a deal with the devil.

"Where are we going to? I'll just meet you there." 

"Not an option. Do you really mistake me for an idiot, Sujin? I know you'll run off and not show up." He rationalized and I chuckled nervously. It was then he took matters into his own hands quickly sitting on the bike and starting the engine before forcing me to sit on the back. I squealed startled by the sudden action. My body shook involuntarily and I was positive this was the last time I would breathe delightful oxygen and see beautiful blue skies. I was going to die in Korea. I was going to die in Busan. I inhaled and exhaled repeatedly in attempt to calm my nerves and anxiety. Was this really going to be how my life ended? Being known as the new girl from California, who became targeted by the infamous Kim Namjoon, who she has with in the woods during a camping trip, and also is a stripper in Seoul on the weekends. Not the best way of being remembered. Namjoon hesitantly grabbed me by the hands forcing me to wrap my arms around his waist. He looked over his shoulder slightly as if he were trying to see my reaction to our sudden interaction with eachother. He brought his bottom lip in between his teeth before reving the engine and I shut my eyes tightly whilst gripping onto his waist more than before. I was absolutely terrified.

"You better hold on, tight." He said in a teasing tone. This clearly amused him. I opened my eyes one last time to look over my shoulder. Leo was standing on the soccer field watching this entire scene between me and Namjoon. This did not help proving my innocence against the rumours about our relationship. I bit my lip slightly nervously while staring back at Leo. His expression disappointed. His mouth parted slightly as if he were going to say something, instead he closed his mouth turned his back to me and walked away before kicking one of the soccer balls into the goal. Which I believe was in frustration. I furrowed my eyebrows slightly feeling guilty. I hope the situation would all become clear to him soon.  

"Just drive already." I grumbled. He chuckled inwardly before pressing on the gas pedal and making us launch down the street. My hair blowing with the wind. I shut my eyes tightly. While squeezing his waist with my arms. I rest my head into his back as if he were a shield to protect me. The sweet smell of his cologne filled my nose and I found myself clinging onto his  warm body comfortably. The breeze brushed against my skin cooling me off instantly. My heart beat fast and my tummy tickled. I felt like a bullet being released from a gun. We were flying down the street and at first it was terrifying, but then I realized Namjoon wouldn't do anything to risk our lives. He's conceited and in love with himself. He's an experienced driver and he would know if we were in danger. He would know when to stop. He wouldn't do anything to hurt himself intentionally. Namjoon looked over his shoulder for a second and whispered

"Sujin, open your eyes." He smirked.

I opened my eyes slowly to look at my surroundings and I was glad I did. The scenery was gorgeous, absolutely stunning. There were butterflies dancing on the flowers' pedals and trees' leaves. There were beautiful little birds chirping in the cherry blossom trees and there was a giant pond with a bride overlooking it all. Ducks trailed behind one another inside the pond. The mother leading the ducklings along the perimeter. There was an open field perfect for practicing soccer and thats where we stopped. 

"You can let go of me now." Namjoon said cockily and I cleared my throat awkwardly releasing him from my grip before getting off the bike. My hair was messy from the wind and Namjoon took it upon himself to make this situation more awkward by approaching me slowly, exhaling, smirking slightly then, brushing my hair away from my face at a lingering speed. For some reason, my cheeks became warm and my heart beat increased. My chest moved up and down rapidly anticipating his next move. He brushed the back of his hand against my cheek and I closed my eyes for a second before opening again to look in his eyes. He leaned his head torward mine slowly. A tickling sensation now present again in my stomach. Why were my legs shaking and why were my lips trembling? My head leaned in slightly as well. What was wrong with me? Why was I under his love spell when we hate each other? 

"Your cheeks are red." He whispered playfully before backing away and I gasped covering my cheeks instantly.

"Yah! Shut up!" My face was now flushing in embarrassment. Why did I think something was going to happen between us and why did I want it?

"You need to focus on the game if you want to win. Leo isn't gonna go easy on you and neither will the team. So get your mind out the gutter and think about winning." He scolded and I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly. Was it obvious that I wanted to kiss him? No, stop he's your enemy. He's just being nice out of guilt. My inner voice told me. 

"Let's start with the basics, okay?" He continued with his hands clasped together and I nodded. We did several drills that reminded me of 'Hell Week'. First, he started me off with running back and forth to test my stamina, which surprisingly didn't fail me. I ran across the field like a bolt of lightning and it felt great. I practiced my kicking technique, running across the field while still having full control of the ball and when I got tired. We laid in the grass where he pulled snacks out of his backpack for us both to eat. It was strange to see him acting so sweet to me, but I liked this side of him better.

"So, I'm guessing you're wondering why I'm acting nice to you, right? You're thinking. Does he want to have with me? Is he only acting this way to get into my pants? Is this his evil plot to go against me later? Is he telling me everything I want to hear? I can assure you I'm not trying to do any of those things....This is strictly business, Sujin. We need to win the game." He ran his fingers through his hair while sitting in the grass next to me.

"And what happens after we win the game? Will you just beat me up and break me down like before?" I asked and he paused.

"....No. I'll treat you like you deserve."

"Really? Can we shake on that?" I laughed and he chuckled before complying with my request.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riding home on a motorcycle wasn't the best plan for a girl who just got into a disagreement with her father, but that's what I ended up doing anyway and I was very shocked to find Leo and Nari sitting on the stair steps together. My eyes widened when their eyes fixated on me and Namjoon. I quickly unraveled my arms from his waist before standing up and walking torwards them.

"Um, thanks for the ride, Namjoon...See you at practice tomorrow." I stuttered not knowing how to react in this situation.

"Whatever. Same thing tomorrow, got it?" Namjoon reminded before speeding off. 

Nari and Leo both stared at me awkwardly. They too were uncomfortable and I could tell by the looks on their faces they thought me and Namjoon were a couple. Nari was the first to storm off into the house angrily. You could say she was disappointed in my decisions.

"Leo, I can explain. " I began and he shook his head.

"You don't need too. Your actions have really said enough."

"Just come inside and stop being a stubborn little !" I shouted. I was tired of not being heard especially by him, someone who was suppose to have my back practically til death.

"I'm the ? The guy you're having with is an !" He matched my tone.

"!?! I'm not even sleeping with him,Leo."

"Then, why in the hell did you ditch me to be with him today?"

"I guess you missed the part where I refused and he forced me on his motorcycle. He was helping me train for the game. He wants us to win, Leo." I tried to reason and he continued to rebuke everything I said. He lost all trust and belief for me.

"Sujin, I want us to win too. But I just, I don't know where your head is at. I don't know what happened that night at camp."

"Then, let me explain it...Then, you'll understand everything. Please, Leo. I don't want to lose our friendship over a silly rumour."

"Well, you're not helping the rumours by running around with him."

"I know that...I know. Please, come inside. We can talk this all out, okay?" I persuaded him and he nodded finally accepting my offer now, I just hoped he would believe in my story and help me find the one who caused this mess.