Layer by Layer

Marked By Kim Namjoon

"Namjoon?" I gasped slightly while staring at his balled up fists. Rage in his eyes he quickly grabbed me by the arm ignoring my pleas and cries to let go of me. His grip was so tight I couldn't break free as he dragged me through the crowd as if I were a rag doll.

"Yah! I said let go!" I shouted again as we stood outside of the club now. The bouncers  ignored my situation as Namjoon opened a taxi door before gesturing me to get inside. 

"There is no way! I'm getting inside that---" my sentence was completely cut off when he shoved me inside then closed the door getting into the passenger seat.  My hair no covering my face as I laid down in the backseat. I had no idea where he were going to take me or what he were going to do to me. 

"So stubborn." He mumbled as he put on his seatbelt in the passenger seat. Namjoon never told the taxi driver the address of where we were going instead he gave directions like turn left, turn right, keep going straight, and make a u-turn. This only made it more horrifying as I anticipated our destination that could lead to my possible death. Was Kim Namjoon capable of killing? Yes, he'd bullied me a plethora of times, but could he murder someone on purpose? No, that doesn't seem right. He wouldn't have saved me if he wanted to kill me, right? All of this was much too intricate for me and I found myself losing my mind. There was no way out of this car, no way to call for help because it's dark and I had no idea of our current location. So, I did what any other drunk person would do...I slept in the back seat until Namjoon grabbed my body and carried me bridal style into what appeared to be his cabin.  

Once he placed me on the brown sofa I looked up at him instantly seeing him go away to a closet where he gathered towels, body wash, other toiletries, and a shirt of his paired with sweatpants. 

"Do you wanna tell me what I'm doing here?" I asked and he threw the items into my lap. 

"You smell like booze. Shower and change into that." He demanded.

"Over my dead body! I want answers! What were you doing at the club? Why did you save me and why did you bring me here? Are you planning to have with me? If so, that is a complete violation of property not to mention illegal, seeing the fact that you don't have my consent!" I whined like an annoying child to find his back turned to me as he now leaned against the counter top. He exhaled as his hands tightened their grip around the counter's sharp edges. Afterwards, he moved to his refridgerator adding ice into his glass before pouring water taking a few sips. His head now turning to me and I gulped.

"The real question is what the hell were you doing at the club with a fake ID? Are you an idiot? I know you've been reckless lately, but you really took it too far Ms. Choi SukMin the organ donor."  He snapped. For some reason his statement made my head upwards slightly for a second. It was peculiar to see him this way. Not to mention completely out of his propensity. He genuinely cared and was in fact concerned about my well being. I couldn't quite put a finger on why that was. Maybe, it was out of pity after the multiple breakdowns and meltdowns he's witnessed from me or maybe he really was worried....Nah...Namjoon doesn't care for anyone it's always just games, right?

"Nari said it was a good idea to take my mind off of things." I admitted sheepishly whilst rubbing my cast.

"Nari is a shameless ."

"Don't call my cousin a ! You don't even know her!" I defended and he smirked before finishing the last few gulps of his drink. He slowly made his way torwards me, his pointer and middle finger mimicking a walking manner on the counter until his feet met the end of the brown sofa.

"I know a lot more about her than you do...As far as the reason you're here it has nothing to do with . If I wanted to you I'd done so a long time ago. All I have to do is give you one look and say one thing and your will be so wet you'd beg me to pleasure you." He said cockily making me scoff.

"Fine...I'll take a shower. Thanks for saving me." I spat in an ungrateful tone unamused with his disgusting nature. It was after I finished showering that I remembered Nari were still at the club I quickly put my wet hair into a towel  before clothing myself with Namjoon's oversized clothes before running out into the living room to find a topless Namjoon wearing sweat pants, the top half of his gray calvin klein underwear peeking through. For some reasons my cheeks became a shade of red and my heart beat increased as my eyes scanned up and down his body several times before he acknowledged my presence. That y  annoying smirk on his face. 

"Did you want to join me? I were just going through your text messages?" He teased and I snatched my phone away immediately feeling as if my privacy had been invaded.

"So you text Hongbin 911....Was he suppose to save you? If so, he failed terribly." Namjoon elaborated before rising from the sofa revealing his beautiful chisled abs. I tried my best to avoid staring, but found it almost impossible and apparently he found this amusing because a small chuckle escaped his mouth. Surely, he'd been use to receiving attention like this from girls. I would just be another one on his list and that was something I would deeply regret. 

"I think he's sleeping."

"Did he even check on you after he dropped you off the other night? Did he call to see if you'd make it out the fire alive?" Namjoon interrogated and for a second I questioned myself of how he knew of my whereabouts that night with Hongbin. 

"Why does it matter? I mean what do you have against Hongbin anyway? You guys use to be friends. " I asked defensively knowing Hongbin hadn't checked on me once.

"Just curious, besides the duel between me and Hongbin is none of your business."

"There's a lot of things I'm curious about, but you never answer the questions and it is my business because he's my friend and you beat him in front of me." I plopped down onto the couch next to him. Apparently, this made him uncomfortable because he jumped up almost immediately as if I were an incurable disease.

"I'm glad you finally understand me. You should rest up there's still alcohol in your system." He tossed me a blanket and pillow. As he were walking away to his bedroom, I couldn't fight the urge to ask this one question.

"Namjoon, will you act the same tomorrow or are you going to change again?" There were desperation in my voice. He paused as his finger reached the light switch.

"Good night, Sujin." He turned off the lights before entering his bedroom and closing the door. I sighed in defeat knowing I'd never get an answer out of his sly and decided it was best to just sleep off my poison.

--------------------------------------------------------------

When morning came Namjoon was no where to be found at least that's what I thought until he came out of the shower with a towel wrapped around his lower half. A red haired girl following out behind him her body also wrapped into a towel. 

"You weren't lying when you said you were a morning person. It was amazing!" The sleezy girl giggled and I rolled my eyes.  

"That's just a fraction of what I can do, baby girl...You were lovely...Here, you're gonna need this," He put a shirt over her towel wrapped body allowing her to drop it once she were completely covered by the black cotton materialed tee. "I'm sorry about your clothes. I couldn't resist ripping them off." He continued to flatter her. Another giggle escaped and I was ready to head out the front door. 

"Promise to text me?" She asked in an innocent tone. 

"Of course babe, always." He kissed her forehead before showing her out. I scoffed in disbelief as he turned around after closing the door his face emotionless now as he went into the kitchen to brew coffee. His charade over. 

"Wow, you have so much class and respect. I mean you had with another girl in the shower while I'm sleeping on the couch. You were raised well." I remarked slowly clapping my hands in a sarcastic manner. He continued to brew the coffee as if he couldn't hear me.

"Hellooo? Is anybody in there?" I waved my hands at his face waiting for him to make a snide remark, but instead he uttered

"You can leave now." His eyes fixated on the coffee pot and mug placed in front of him.

"Wh-What?" I replied flabbergasted. 

"Show youself out." He repeated. I paused for a second watching Namjoon slowly transform to the beast I knew. 

"I said go!" He shouted before throwing the mug across the room. I watched it hit the wall next to me. The pieces shattered on the floor. He were panting with frustration his hands tangled in his blonde locks. 

"Oh...Ok. I'll leave...I'm sorry for being a burden." I replied softly before gathering my things and heading to my home. Of course I used the balcony's door not wanting to hear my parents question where I've been. To my surprise Nari was home laying in bed reading a magizine. 

"Nari-ah?" I asked in a shocked tone and she hugged me.

"Omo! I'm so so sorry! I don't know why I acted the way I did last night. I was drinking and I lost my mind! I thought you got murdered or . I felt so bad coming home without you." She cried onto my shoulder and I rubbed soothing circles on her back.

"It's okay. Gwenchana. I'm okay. I'm glad you're alive." 

"Me too. Wait...Why are you wearing boy clothes? Where are your clothes?" She asked and my eyes widened. Was she trustworthy enough to know my actual story? 

"I uh...I...." My voice became unsteady as I stuttered trying to think of a white lie nothing came to mind.

"Don't you lie to me, Sujin-ah! Did you lose your v-card? Did my late boomer have ?" She teased and I frowned slightly.

"I lost my 'v card' a while ago and I'm not a late bloomer, you !" 

"Ahhh there's the Sujin-ah I know. You were starting to get too mushy gushy I had to put you back in your place....But, seriously who's the lucky guy?" She sat on her bed legs crossed, elbow on the knee as she waited for me to spill all of the juicy gossip. 

"These are Namjoon's clothes..." I admitted sheepishly and she shook her head in disapproval.

"Did you have with Namjoon?" 

"No...I didn't and I never will."

"That's good to know, because who knows what kind of STD's he has. He's slept with all of the women in Busan just about...You don't need to be on that list." She brushed her hair back and I nodded while gnawing on my bottom lip...

"Did mom and dad notice I was gone?"

"Not at all. They've been busy discussing bills, but you have to get dressed for therapy. I'll do your hair." Nari offered and I nodded in agreement. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

DAY THREE (THERAPY)

It was the third day of my therapeutic group session and today Mrs. Kang thought it would be a great idea to do exercises to express our feelings and let us gain trust with one another. Namjoon sat right across from me as usual his eyes avoiding mine. 

"I have wrote each of your names on the piece of paper pinned to the bulletin board and who I pair you with to complete these exercises based on your history.  With these exercises you will open up and gain a closeness that you never believed could have existed. So...Carefully walk to the bulletin board and read your partner's name. There will be no changes and no refusing or you will have ten  more hours added to your file." She sneered. 

Of course it just so happened that me and Namjoon were paired together. Apart of me was thankful, because I wanted to talk to him, but another part resentful because I knew his nature and how he would act towards me. 

"Now, that you've found your partners I will pass out two pieces of paper, one for each of you, which you will fill out your answer to the question. Understood? Great. Get started." She explained before leaving us all in the room alone. 

We all completed the assignment without a word answering the questions on the sheet of paper. When it was time to share many were hesitant, especially Namjoon, who shut down completely.

"Namjoon its your turn, if you don't participate I'll be forced to add ten more hours to your file." Mrs. Kang threatened and he sighed in exasperation.

"What's the point of this stupid exercise anyway. It doesn't change anything! It doesn't change what happened! I will always be me!" He argued.

Roy Kim- The Great Dipper

"It will clear things between you and Sujin...Isn't that what you want?" She continued to nag and he shook his head bittersweetly. 

"Sujin, read the question from your sheet and he'll read the answer."

"I didn't agree to this! You can add ten more hours to my file...Ask me if I give a !" Namjoon stormed out of the room I chased after him again finding the crumbled sheet on the floor. I watched his back disappear through the glass doors. I unraveled the paper reading the questions and answers repeatedly.

 

1. How do you know (insert partner's name)? 

I know Sujin from school. 

2. Why do you dislike (insert partner's name)?

I don't dislike her...I envy her. I envy her talents (photography, soccer, painting). I envy the way people perceived her...When she first arrived people looked at her as if she were an angel from heaven. Her reputation was pure. Her slate was clean. She didn't have to worry about negative comments from others. 

3. Did you bully (insert partner's name)? If so, explain your reason below.

Yes, I did, but I never imagined that I would take it this far. I never imagined her harming herself. It was all because, of envy. I'd never met a girl so brave before in my life. I felt inferior to her and wanted to show who was boss.

4. Do you regret what you've done to (insert partner's name)?

100%, but I would never tell her that, because I am not weak. I will never be weak in front of her again.

5. Is there anything you like about (insert partner's name)?

Sujin has a lot of great qualities...Besides being beautiful, she is witty and clever, she's funny (especially when she tries to act tough). I like those things about her. 

6. Is there anything you dislike about (insert partner's name)?

I don't like how she trusts people who don't deserve it. She tries to see the good in everyone it gets her into trouble and then I can't help but want to save her....

7. Could you imagine you and (insert partner's name) being friends or something more?

Yes, but I can't change who I am.

8. If you could say something to (insert partner's name) right now, what would it be?

You're an amazing girl who is stupid at times, but I regret everything I've done to you. Deeply...I thank you for saving my life that night in the fire. I thank you for brightening my day and amusing me with your witty personality when I lose my mind. I hope one day we can move past this and you can forgive me.

Mrs. Kang quickly followed me and I placed the paper behind my back crumbling it almost immediately. 

"Is he gone?" She asked and I nodded with my mouth slightly agape.

"Are you really going to add ten more hours to his file?" 

"I have no choice. He is not progressing in this program he'll need more time." She replied before heading back into the class. My heart tightened...Where could he have gone? It was my heart that led me to the park where we first met and it hadn't failed me as I watched him kick the soccer ball across the empty  field repeatedly.