Aftermath 2

Marked By Kim Namjoon

.

It took me a few seconds to process his sentence. Leo was moving to America? He was leaving me. He was leaving behind his soccer team that had a big game soon. He was leaving me to die at the hands of Bora, who was now returning. Leo is like a brother to me. He was one of the first to stand up to Namjoon when he bullied me. He was the one who carried me across the soccer field and took me to the nurse. Although he turned his back on me twice for a few incidents, I knew he still cared. 

"America? Leo, you can't leave! A soccer game is coming up! The team needs you....I need you! You can't just appear back into my life and deliver news like this! Why are you leaving and for how long?" I explained hoping he would hear my pleas. He held my hands on top of the table rubbing tiny soothing circles on my skin's surface.  His eyes sparkled slightly as he looked down at me.

"I'm leaving in a week. I'll be gone for four months at the most...You're the first person I've told, Sujin and I hope you can keep this a secret until I deliver the news to the team myself." His tone was bittersweet as he continued to try to comfort me. I shook my head violently. It was one nightmare after the other and I couldn't handle it anymore.

"Keep this a secret? Are you insane? Have you completely lost your mind, Leo? Namjoon is your co-captain and after everything that is going on in his life, do you think he will be able to handle this news and pressure? He is confused about so many things, he's in a grieving stage, and his evil ex-girlfriend is coming back in three days to make his life hell again." I argued removing my hand from his in frustration as the hot tears slid down my face again.  I was shaking at this point and surprised at my response. How was Namjoon still the main thing on my mind? He hurt me today and a thousand times before that. What was wrong with me? The very few people in the ramyun shop stared at me and him with worried expressions. Leo cleared his throat and his jaw bulged in anger.

"Spoken like a true girlfriend. So, I'm guessing Namjoon opened up to you and revealed everything, huh? Well, I hope you two will be happy together." Leo got up from his chair pushing it in. I stalked behind him as he exit the shop. 

"Please, stop! I don't want this to be how you remember me." I begged making him stop in his tracks.

"I thought you'd be supportive of my news, because you've lived in America for many years." He explained and I exhaled in defeat.

"I just think it's all bad timing. Why are you going to America anyways?"

"It's a business trip for my soccer. I was given the opportunity to play and train with very famous soccer players. I couldn't decline. An opportunity like this only comes once in a lifetime, Sujin." The dedication in his voice was evident. This was something Leo was genuinely passionate about. As a friend, I should be happy for him, but my mind still couldn't boggle around the fact I would be losing a friend. Selfish. I should be supportive.

"We have three games left and I kinda assumed you would help fill in my slot." Leo explained his idea.

"I can't play. My leg is weak." I scoffed before bursting into laughter. Did he find this amusing or what?

"Then train it, I have faith in you, Sujin. Besides, you're the only person I can confide in now." He half smiled. His hands grasping onto both of my shoulders tightly as he looked me deep in the eyes. A yearning expression on his face.

Although the idea sound completely insane to me, letting Leo down was the last thing I wanted to do. I agreed to his proposal, hoping not to regret it later.

"You're the best, Sujin-ah! I promise I will repay you." He pat my back before putting his fist up as if he were saying 'hwaiting'. 

"Just promise me, you'll train hard." I smiled before embracing him.

"Of course." He gripped onto me tightly his fingers playing with the locks of my long hair. This was really going to happen. I was back on the soccer team whether I liked it or not.

"When will you deliver the news?" I asked. That was when he released his grip from me then began to scratch the back of his head as if he were unsure. This was more stress than I could handle considering me and Namjoon's situation that wasn't yet solved. "Our next practice. I want them to mentally prepare and adjust quickly to these changes." Leo nodded confidently.

"I should head home, my parents will wonder where I've been." 

"I'll give you a ride, least I can do." Leo offered and I agreed. 

The ride to my house was completely silent except for an occasional sigh between the both of us.

 All I could think about as Leo pulled into my driveway was what Namjoon did to me. I wondered if he were thinking of me too. Did he regret it? Does he care for me or does he see me like the others? Only time would tell. I sighed knowing there was no way to escape this reality. My expression must've showed my fears when I got out of his car, because Leo grabbed my hand causing me to gasp.

"Promise me one thing, Sujin....When I'm gone, stay away from Namjoon. He's a terrible influence and there is still alot you don't know about him." The desperation in his eyes almost brought me to tears. Knowing what I've done, there was no way back. I couldn't pretend that our lips didn't touch. I couldn't pretend the pleasure and chemistry between me and Namjoon didn't exist. I couldn't go back to hating him...Did I ever hate him? My brain was split into a million pieces. All I wanted was for it all to go away.

"We have therapy together...I can't keep my distance." I nodded bitersweetly before my bottom lip and zoning out into space.

"Outside of therapy...Don't go near him." He demanded and I nodded. Even I knew I wouldn't be able to keep his promise and it hurt me to see Leo thought the same. We exchanged tight hugs before I snuck into the backyard to climb up the tree that led to my balcony.

When I finally made it to bed, I cried myself to sleep. Nari was a deep sleeper anyways. She didn't hear a thing and it felt great to release all of my pent up pains and frustrations.

--------------------

At school Hongbin waited by my locker, his back turned to me. I tapped his shoulder only to have him turn around slowly with a bouqet of red roses. The dimples in his cheeks prominent and his eyes turned into tiny slits as he continued to smile. Hongbin was seriously perfect. Perfect grades, charming personality, handsome, and caring. Why couldn't I fall for him instead? 

"Hongbin-ah! Omo! It's for me?!?" I gasped in astonishment, it was the first time I received a live flower from any boy. My ex didn't even get me flowers.  Hongbin nodded whilst smiling brightly. 

"Ne, my date for the carnival tonight. I just wanted to show my appreciation." He explained with a shade of pink sweeping over his cheeks.

"Appreciation? For what?" I giggled. He held the back of his neck, his most used nervous habit while looking down at his sneakers before bringing his eyes back to me.

"I get to go with the prettiest girl in school." He chuckled and I joined in. It was all very flattering and I was happy to be going with him as well. That was until Namjoon waltzed down the hall with Taehyung by his side. The two were laughing and high fiving about something. Self-conciously I assumed Namjoon were bragging about using me. I tried my best to ignore the two of them and only focus on Hongbin. 

"You're so sweet, Bin-ah! We're gonna have so much fun tonight." I reassured him and he nodded.

"Want me to walk you to class?" He offered and I declined wanting to eavesdrop on Satanjoon's conversation. By the time I was ready to listen Taehyung had already left and it was just me and Namjoon. I turned around to face him our eyes locking almost instantly. His lips parted slightly as if he wanted to say something, but instead he slammed his locker and stalked off to his class.  I held my english book against my chest while watching him disappear around the corner. What will become of us?

---------------------