Club Week

Marked By Kim Namjoon

"Club week has started!" Nari squealed with excitement. She pointed to the bulletin board and poster plastered on the school wall.

"Meaning?" 

"Meaning, if you want to join a club, now is the best time. This is the time they are actively selecting people. Any other time they will have no interest in candidates." She traced her index finger along the outline of the bolded letters.

"That sounds...Stupid." I grumbled now turning my back from the bulletin. 

"It's not stupid, Sujin. These clubs determine your social status. Like me, I'm joining drama club, fashion, and tennis. I'll be in the popular social class as usual."

"So, you chose the social group you wanted to be in?" A smile tugged at her lips as she tried to hold back her laughter at my question.

"You don't choose your social group. They choose you, but I know I will automatically be accepted as soon as my name is mentioned.  You should join one, you'd make a ton of friends." She handed me the pen waiting for me to sign my name.I sighed whilst rolling my eyes before, snatching it from her hand. None of these clubs held my interest. Karaoke, drama, fashion, art, poetry, dance, football, chess, volleyball etc. 

I was great at painting, but it wasn't something I needed a club for. Poetry is my best friend, but it didn't mean I wanted to share it. Dancing involved rhyth, something my body lacked. Soccer...I like soccer. It's something I could do forever. Photography and cooking as well. I signed my name under all three clubs before smiling in satisfaction. 

"Ige mwo ya? Those are three completely different social groups." She acknowledged.

"Your point?"

"Don't you want to be popular and have guys confessing to you everyday like me?" 

"The club I choose, doesn't determine the kind of person I am." I walked away from her now going to my locker. Which of course, she followed.

"It does here at this school...You're already marked by Namjoon. I don't want to see you get targeted by other people too." Nari stated while leaning against the lockers.

"That won't happen. I know what I'm doing." I shuffled my books around in the locker trying to find my advanced English book. 

"Do you really?" Nari asked, and I slammed my locker before walking away. The whole situation frustrated me to no end. She doubted me. Yeah, I don't know what Namjoon is capable of, but it doesn't matter. I'm strong, I won't give up.

Classes were hell. Once again I was the odd ball out. No one talked to me, they only stared and whispered rude things about me. My English book was nowhere to be found, even though I was positive it was left in my locker along with my other text books. When our free period came around, I went through my locker again. Everything scattered on the floor, my notes, my textbooks, my pens, and my paper. My mind raced along with my heart beat as I fell to my knees. Beads of sweat pertruding my forehead as I continued to toss my books and papers around. The hallway was a mess and passing classmates stared at me as if I were a lunatic. There was no way it could be gone and if it was I owe a debt to our librarian. A group of laughing boys came to a hault behind me, witnessing my panic attack.

"Did you lose something?" Namjoon asked in a taunting voice. The boys bursts into laughter other people soon gathering around us in a circle. People took out their cellphones and began to film as I sat in my crumbled sheets of paper. 

"Give it back, Namjoon." I panted. 

"What is it that you want back, huh?" He stepped towards me now pulling me off of the ground by my shirt. Students in the crowd laughed and took pictures while others remained quiet and filmed. Namjoon pushed me against my locker while clinging on to my shirt.

"You took my book! I know you did!" There were tears of humiliation forming in my eyes as his scorching eyes burned into mine.

"And what if I did? What are you gonna do, tell your daddy?" He chuckled before turning around to face the rest of BTS nodding his head as if he were giving a cue.

"Let's take this outside, huh?" Namjoon pulled me along with him by my collar. The rest of the crowd followed us to the courtyard. I groaned when my body hit the hard ground. My uniform was now covered in dirt and grass. 

"I told you we were going to have a problem, Sujin." He walked circles around my still body. 

"Just give me back my book, please!" I tried to pull myself off of the ground and found a shoe press down on my gut. I looked up to see the head cheerleader standing over me. She smiled before flipping the blonde hair off of her shoulder.

"We'll give it back when we feel like it!" She snapped while I lied in the grass helplessly. There was no one to protect me and that's when I realized I underestimated Namjoon and his disciples. 

"Is this what you're looking for?" Namjoon smirked, now pulling out my Advanced English II book from his backpack. I lift my body up slightly only to be pushed back to the ground by the evil girl's foot. 

"Give it to me!" I shouted as the tears now slipped from my eyes.

"You know, you really shouldn't leave your combination number on your locker. People might break in and take things." He stepped forward cueing the girl to let me go. 

"Actually, I'm so sorry, Sujin. I shouldn't have taken your book to prove how sorry I am I got you a present...It's inside your book." Namjoon apologized while handing the book to me.  I snatched the book away, getting up before trying to run away, but the crowd blocked me from leaving the circle.

"Open the book, Sujin." The evil blonde cheerleader grimaced. 

My hands shook involuntarily. This definitely wasn't a gift. He didn't give me a peace offering. My heart beat increased as I slowly opened the book cover revealing a dead rose. A girl in the crowd screamed making me drop the text book. 

"You've been marked, ." The cheerleader smiled before patting me on the back and leaving. Namjoon smirked at me before kicking the book into a pile of mud. 

"Enjoy club week." He chuckled.  

The text book was covered in mud. All of the pages had a little residue and I knew the librarian were going to charge me a lot of money.

-------------------------------

At dinner time Mom didn't even notice my uniform were in terrible condition, so I quickly showered and washed my clothes, folding them at the edge of my bed for tomorrow. 

"Do you want to talk about school? Nari told me you guys were joining clubs." My mom pryed while flipping through her magizine. 

"She chose soccer, cooking, and photography." Nari volunteered my info, sipping on her bubble tea. She plopped down onto the sofa turning on the tv in the living room and I scowled.

"I didn't know you found those interesting." My mom replied in astonishment.

"I played for a soccer team in San Diego, Mom. You didn't come to any of my games." I scoffed, opening the fridge, looking for a snack.

"You never invited me. Your life is in that book you carry around. I have no idea what's going on in your head. I've tried numerous times to reach out to you, bond with you, every single time you push me away." She ranted once again. 

"I've pushed you away? Let's just admitt it. You don't want anything to do with me. You wish I weren't even born. You want to throw me away just like you did Isseul!" I shouted. All of my emotions were on overdrive. The humiliation I felt today at school, my last school, my ex boyfriend all of the memories were coming back.  I ran up the flight of stairs to my room, slamming the door behind me,  tearing down the posters on my wall. No one understood me. No one wanted to. No one tried. Once again I was left to fend for myself because my parents couldn't do their job in raising me. My anger was put to a hault when the sound of two men yelling caught my attention. I walked out to our balcony that Nari left open. The sound of dishes and glasses breaking followed behind their yelling. I climbed down the tree next to the balcony moving towards the fence, our only barrier from the neighbors. 

"You're drunk! All you do is drink! No wonder Mom is gone!" The young boy shouted the sound of a blow met my ears followed by the sound of a body falling. Namjoon walked out of the house adjusting his jacket before taking off on his motorcycle his bottom lip busted...Was his father abusing him? I ducked down low making sure he didn't see me. For some reason, my heart sunk.