Play For It

Marked By Kim Namjoon

"Namjoon!" I shouted before running across the field. He stopped almost instantly when he noticed the crumbled sheet in my hand. He slowly looked at the paper before looking back at me.

"You read it?" Was all he muttered before turning his back on me running his hands through his drenched hair in distress. I took two more steps forward. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" 

"Sujin, just leave." He spat before walking away to retrieve his ball. I chased after him pushing his shoulder, forcing him to look back at me.  I'd waited long enough for this moment of truth and I wasn't going to let him slip away again.

"You can't run away from this anymore, its all on paper." I shook the wrinkled paper at him. He furrowed his eyebrows before snatching it out of my hand and ripping it in half. 

"What paper?" He snapped like a two year old with a bad temper.

"You can rip it, shred it, burn it, run it over with your motorcycle, and spit on it...It won't change what I know."

"Then, what do you want, Sujin? What do you want from me?" He shout impatiently. What did I want? I wasn't even sure myself in fact. I didn't know why I came here to confront him in the first place. So what if he thought those things about me! It meant nothing. All I wanted was peace, but how could something so rare be obtained?

"I don't know..."

"You don't know, but you came all the way down here looking for me with that stupid paper. Do you wanna blackmail me, make me your slave, or maybe you just wanna me." He smirked. My cheeks became warm and I avoided eye contact.

"Why do you always have to be ual?" 

"Oh please, don't act innocent, Sujin. I know you fantasize about me. I know you have pictures of me in your camera. I know you use to write about me in that ugly journal and now its your perfect time to pounce, huh?" He moved closer and closer to me causing me to back up until my encountered the bench. 

"Tell me how do you want it. Do you like it from behind or face to face?" He continued to tease. I shoved him away from me.

" you!" I began to leave knowing that his tendencies would never change. When he called my name again I stopped.

"I'll give you whatever you want, but there's a catch." I turned around to face him, my arms folded across my chest.

"I'm listening." 

"You have to beat me in two rounds of soccer." I scoffed automatically. What was this love & basketball, soccer edition? There was no way he were serious about this.

"You must be joking? You know my leg isn't well. I'm still healing. I haven't even practiced!" I complained.

"Well then, I guess you can't handle a challenge. Maybe next year, kiddo." He continued to play as if I weren't there. 

"Screw you, Namjoon! I'm gonna show you that even when I'm slightly handicap I can kick your !" I threw my bag down onto the grass before pulling my shirt over my head revealing my under shirt. He half smiled. 

"Don't think I'm gonna go easy on you." He got into his stance and I grinned.

"I dont expect you to. So how many points do I have to score?" 

"Three.." 

"What happens if I don't?" I asked.

Lee Hae Ri- If you loved me

"You have to leave me alone, never talk to me again, forget everything that ever happened between us, and pretend I don't exist. I'll do the same to you." He replied before biting his lower lip, a nervous habit I assumed. My mouth fell agape slightly and I in air.  It was a bit of a shock to hear those words from him. I never begged him to become apart of my life as a bully, friend, enemy...Crush. I didn't ask him to save me, yet he did. Why did he want to erase me from his life so badly? Was I really that much of a burden? I furrowed my eyebrows and nodded. This was more than a game to him. Whoever wins can change everything.  My heart tightened, the pressure weighed me down, and an overwhelming feeling rained on me. He stared at me anticipating my approval of his challenge. 

"Okay. Deal." I hesitantly put my hand out to shake his. Once his hand touched mine my heart stopped. It was done. The deal was officially sealed. I had to give this game my all or we'd have nothing.  We both walked to opposite sides of the field placing the ball in the middle. On the count of three we ran as fast as we could until our sneakers encountered the ball. I was the first to kick the ball as he trailed behind me pulling at my shirt to steal the ball. My adrenaline rushing with my every sprint as I switched the ball in between my feet. There was a panick sensation flowing through my veins as I struggled to keep up with the soccer. Namjoon tracking my every step. He stole the ball from me scoring his first point of the game. I placed my hands onto my knees while bending over panting. This was very strenuous for someone who hadn't played soccer for a month. I was out of shape and that's when the pessimistic demon crawled into my head. You can't win, Sujin. You should forfeit. Let him win. I squint my eyes while rubbing my temples to shake away the negative thoughts. Namjoon caught onto my situation. 

"Don't tell me you're giving up already, Sujin. You're a fighter, remember?" He teased before sticking out his tongue slightly and retrieving the ball from the net.

"You cheated there is no shirt pulling in soccer! That is a violation!" I stalked over to him starting the game off as a sore loser.

"In your dreams, Sujin. This is street soccer. There are no rules." He replied.

"That's not fair!" I whined.

"I never said there were rules." Namjoon was now smirking before pulling his shirt over his head revealing his glistening chiseled abs. I gulped. He were going to utilize his God-like body to distract me from the actual game. I wasn't going to allow that. Come on, Sujin! Come on, you're stronger than this!  The angel motivated me as I watched the streaming water from his bottle wet his body. He shook his wet hair before brushing it back with his hand in a seductive way and I in air. My body felt on fire. 

"Two more, Sujin. Two more and we will have never met." He reminded and I quickly pulled myself together. 

The ball was placed in the middle again as we both fought for our desire. This time I was the one to make a point. 

"We're tied. Not bad for a handicap, huh? Two more and you'll be my slave." I joked around and he smiled slightly...

"Alright, prepare yourself. I really won't go easy." He smirked...And he didn't go easy on me, not one bit. I realized that when he scored the second point of the game. I was covered in sweat, aggravated tears, dirt, and grass. Only one more point and it would be the end of every improvement our relationship made. Why did that bother me? He was just an enemy after all...But, no this situation was more intricate than that.

"Are you even trying? Beat me, Sujin! Beat me!" He shouted while throwing his hands up to give his sentence emphasis. 

My weak legs were shaking and all I wanted to do was lay in my bed with these aching muscles of mine. On top of that, I was parched, completely deprived of water, because joon had to dump the whole bottle on his body ( a tactic I believe he used to sabotage me). The only thing I wanted now was for this game to end, but the fight wasn't nearly over. I peeled my sweating body away from the bench walking over to Namjoon like a dried up prune. 

"I'm ready." my voice a panting mess. Namjoon nodded with a defeated expression as he backed away from me, staying on his side of the field. It felt as if time went in slow motion as I watched his lips countdown. One. Two. Three. An alarm went off in my head as I ran as fast as I could to get the ball from him. I tugged his shirt, I pulled his pants, pushed him, but nothing seemed to work. As soon as I thought I had the ball he would steal it right back. It was a never ending tug of war. And as if it couldn't get worse, it began to rain. No, not drizzle, but pour rain heavily. We slid around in the mud, but that didn't stop us from the goal. Namjoon sprinted across the field stopping at a certain point to kick the ball. My ankle couldn't keep up with the speed anymore and I found myself falling flat onto the grass. My fingernails digging into the ground as I panted and cried hot tears of frustration. He scored the last point. He beat me. I lost. He faced the net for what felt like minutes before turning around to face me dully. His eyes were looking down at the wet grass as the rain plummet down on his face. His wet bangs rooping ver his eyes. He his bottom lip in between his teeth with his hands stuffed into his pockets. It looked like he too were in shock of his triumph. He lift his heels off of the ground a few times before beginning to walk away. It was as if he were at a loss of words. 

"Namjoon! Namjoonah, wait!" I sobbed and gasped for air occassionlly only to see his back disappear from my sight. I slammed my fist into the grass while cursing myself and my ankle. I almost won. I almost had him.... 

After several minutes of crying, I stood up, grabbed my shirt, and the ripped up paper before walking home. We had met at the soccer field and now we were parting ways there as well. Numb was the only way to describe my body.

                                                                                        One Week Later

"Sujin-ah!" Hongbin ran across the hallway to embrace me into his arms. I blushed while inhaling his scent.

"It's so strange to see you in school.  It's been a while." He acknowleged and I nodded awkwardly. The school had completely changed the anti-bully program worked and had a positive effect on every single person at school. No one left with bruises, sctraches, or wounds anymore. Things were perfectly healthy in the high school that use to be my hell. 

"It's actually great to be back. This place is different now." I smiled slightly while tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. As we roamed the halls there were no students giving me dirty looks or saying snide remarks. It felt refreshing and satisfying to know my story had an immense impact on the school. 

"Yeah, it's all thanks to the princess. In fact, the school is having a carnival next week for charity. It's raising money for all of the fallen victims around the world who were bullied. We should go together....You know as friends." Hongbin stopped as we reached my locker while rubbing the back of his neck shyly. 

"Friends...Right, definitely...I'd love to go with you!" I accepted his offer whilst going through the books in my locker. My hand stopped at my Advanced English Book. I opened it up slowly reminiscing the day, Namjoon officially marked me as his target. The dead rose still inside. Hongbin noticed almost immediately as my expression changed.

"Hey, you don't have to worry about his anymore. No one is allowed to bully in this school without getting expelled." He respond in a gentle voice and I nodded before looking over my shoulder at Namjoon's locker. 

"Yeah..." Was the only response to escape my mouth.  My eyes still fixated on his graffiti covered locker.

"Namjoon hasn't been to school all week. There are rumors that he is never coming back. Others have said he will only return for the next soccer game." Hongbin filled me in on the juicy gossip and I slammed my locker shut. That was one thing that would never change about this school.

"What do you think?" I asked.

"I think Namjoon is spontaneous and insane. Who knows where he is. For all we know, he could be in jail again." He continued to walk next to me.

"I bet Leo knows what's going on. They're co-captains. Namjoon had to have told Leo something or maybe Hope knows something." My mind was going sporadic as I tried to figure out any connection I could make to Namjoon and make sure he were at least okay. After seeing his suicidal episode, I'd hoped he weren't lying around in a ditch somewhere half dead. Hongbin grabbed me by the elbow causing me to hault any further steps.

"What's going on with you? Tell me you're done with all of this bad blood and since when have you and Hope even spoke? He's practically a mute! Sujin, are you in there?" He acted as if he were knocking onto my skull and I chuckled.

"Sorry. Maybe, I just didn;t get enough rest...I'll see you after class, ne?" I walked away from the scene not wanting to dig my grave any deeper.

"Okay! See ya! Be safe!" He shouted from across the hall whilst waving.

No ones opinion mattered right now as I snuck off to the soccer field to see Leo, who had been M.I.A ever since my meltdown.  I spotted him lying down on the bleachers with earbuds in his ears as he listened to music. I approached him slowly before pulling the chord from his ear causing him to jump up instantly whilst groaning. When he turned around to face me the angry expression on his face softened. His eyebrows relaxed and his eyes had a slight sparkle in them. He engulfed me with his arms as he squeezed all of the air from my lungs. 

"Yah! You can let go! You're crushing my bones!" I complained. As he pulled away the stunned expression was replaced with a smile.

"Sujin...I can't believe you're here. I haven't seen you since---" His tone relieved before I interupted. 

"Fall Fling...I know. Why didn't you visit me?" I began to interrogate with my hands behind my back and he exhaled before biting down on his jaw. The guilt was sinking in and he didn't like the taste.

"I...I didn't know how to react, Sujin. Me and you both know very well where I stand with my feelings for you.. I couldn't see you in that condition so I decided to wait. Give you time, give you space, let you process everything." He explained himself. What he did wasn't irrational, but it did a great deal of harm to my spirit.

"Didn't you think I needed all of the support I could get? You left me alone that night as I suffered. Hongbin dragged me out of the tub, it was televised on the news and you said nothing. Not even a text message...You know what? It doesn't matter. I came here to ask about Namjoon." I pushed the hair away from my face in frustration.

"I'm sorry, Sujin!" He reached his hand out to touch me and I backed up, my foot colliding with a rock as I fell to the floor. My backpack hit the ground and busted open allowing everything to fall out, including the clothes Namjoon let me borrow. Leo's eyes narrowed at me before he looked back at the folded clothing. He kneeled down picking them up before analyzing the owner.

"No, don't touch it!" I shrieked trying to fan him away but he held the clothing higher in the air. 

"Why do you have Namjoon's clothes?" He asked as the tears began to well in my eyes.