Mixed Signals

Marked By Kim Namjoon

"Sujin! Sujin-ah!" , Hongbin shook my shoulder as my eyes pierced into Namjoon's. I quickly looked back at Hongbin. His expression was pensive as he drawed his eyes at Namjoon then, back to me. I wondered if he connected the dots between us. Was it obvious to other people or was I imagining the whole thing? Beads of sweat petrude my forehead and the nauseating feeling returned. I couldn't speak, I couldn't move, all I did was stare at him...He danced with her, he touched her, he kissed her, he ran his fingers through her hair as if that day never happened between us. I guess he received what he wanted all along. Hongbin grabbed my elbow this time to gather my attention. I looked back at him quickly flashing an apologetic smile. 

"If seeing him bothers you, we can do something else. We can see a movie, go on a ride, play a game, or even leave this place. We can grab something to eat if you want. I don't care about what we do, as long as we're together." He gave suggestions. He knew I was hurting. Of course, he did. My first real best friend ever. The first guy who actually treated me with respect at this school. He could read my every emotion and expression by now. I was positive that he knew I had fallen for my bully. Maybe he didn't have every detail, but he sensed something. More than anything, I wished I could reassure him that everything was fine. Reassure him that before I went to sleep Namjoon wasn't on my mind. But, he was. Maybe, this obsession of mine is simply because, I've never met a person so complex and unreadable in my life. Despite my feelings, I needed to be okay. Even if it was pretend. I needed to be tough and to put Namjoon in his place. I needed to show him what he did doesn't affect me anymore and it never will again. I exhaled before putting on my poker face.

"Ani, let's stay here. I don't want to ruin tonight for us. Why don't we get some cotton candy?" I smiled and he nodded his head agreeing with my suggestion. Hongbin put his hand into mine before leading me to the fried food and treats booth. I didn't dare to take another glimpse at my bully as I walked away with my one true friend. Apparently, Namjoon noticed this and felt the urge to confront me. Hongbin's steps haulted when he heard the bully call my name. We both turned around slowly to face the demon child.

"Sujin, I'm surprised to see you here. I didn't think this was your scene." He remarked while holding the purple haired girl's hand. I scoffed and opened my mouth slightly, preparing myself to fire off at him, but instead found Hongbin taking my job.

"Yeah, it's our scene. I'm surprised to see you here alone. Did your posse finally realize how ty you are and kick you out?" Hongbin snapped. I my bottom lip while smiling in astonishment. Namjoon rubbed his mouth while laughing and nodding his head.

"Well, you got me there, Bin. I missed your snarky comments, but unlike you I actually have a date. I'm not alone, I'm with my girlfriend, Jade." He introduced the girl and she bowed slightly.

"Ah, it's very nice to meet you, Jade. How long have you two been together?" I retorted. 

"Oh...Me and Namjoon Oppa have been together for two days now.  We've talked online, and he decided to finally make it official. I'm so happy!" She kissed his cheek and Namjoon smirked at me. I wanted to slap the dumb look off of both their faces. How idiotic can a person be! Isn't it obvious that he just wants to use her? Isn't it obvious that Namjoon doesn't have a soul? He is a ruthless, ignorant, arrogant, piece of crap. My anger was getting the best of me as my fingernails dug into the palm of Hongbin's hand. He winced while jerking his hand away from mine slightly. His way of subtly telling me to stop. I mouthed the word "sorry" to him before looking back at the couple in front of us. 

"Enjoy it while it lasts." Hongbin sneered making the girl's expression become perplexed.

"Anyways, how did you two meet? You guys look like a match made in heaven!" The girl giggled. Why were all of the girls Namjoon dated either brain dead or dominating? I shook my head in disgusts.

"Oh, no no no baby. You see you got it all wrong. They're not together. They're just friends." Namjoon pitched in. My mind went blank for a second as all I could think of was revenge. I wanted Namjoon to see for the first time one of the girls on his long list weren't begging for his attention. I knew that was the only thing that could hurt his ego.

"Actually, you're wrong." I smiled at the two before pulling Hongbin by the shirt and pressing my lips against his. His eyes grew wide as he stared at me. A pink shade sweeping over his cheeks as our soft lips collided slowly and passionately. I could hear the girl giggling and clapping as our kiss deepened his hands now playing with my hair.  I couldn't elieve what I had just gotten myself into and neither could Namjoon as we both pulled away breathless. His eyebrows were furrowed and his jaw muscles bulged with anger as he squeezed his suppose girlfriend's waist. 

"Ah! Joonie, you're hurting me!" She whimpered making him release.

"I'm...I'm sorry baby. Hey, why don't we just go back to my place?" Namjoon stuttered over his words while his girl's cheek. 

"Joonie, you promised me we would go on a few rides first. We haven't even eaten anything!" She continued to whine like a three year old. This made Namjoon roll his eyes and sigh before grabbing her hand.

"Okay, fine. Let's play a game. I'll win you a teddy bear! " He gave in to her request. 

"Yah! Sumin and Hongbae you should come play at the basketball booth with us! It'd be fun!" Jade invited us. I exchanged looks with Hongbin in order to make a decision. His cheeks were still flushed from our kiss. 

"It's Sujin and Hongbin.  But, babe they aren't good at games. I forgot to tell you how Sujin broke her leg this year playing soccer. She's really clumsy." He retorted. His eyes were narrowing at me now and I wanted to wrap my hands around his throat, but decided the most civil and logical thing to do was accept Jades offer. It was clear Namjoon decided he didn't want me to participate. So what is a better way to get under someone else's skin? I think I found the answer. 

"Actually, me and Hongbin would love to join you guys." I sneered and Hongbin's mouth fell agape in confusion.

"Mwo?" He exclaimed.

"Yeah, babe. There's nothing better than a little friendly competition, right?" I kissed Hongbin's cheek selling the show. Namjoon balled up his fist and exhaled before walking towards the booth with Jade. Bin and I followed them.

The attendant greeted us with a fake smile before handing the ball to me and Namjoon. We both stood on opposite showings as we threw the ball an dining for the net. There was thirty seconds on the clock. In order to win a stuffed animal, I would need to make three baskets. 

"Watch me win you something babe." Namjoon said while squeezing her and she giggled. I rolled my eyes before bringing my attention back to the net. The thirty second clock started and I began throwing the ball repeatedly like a mad man. One....Two....Three. The alarm went off along with horns notifying me of my win. I smiled before choosing my prize, a stuffed koala bear. I looked over to my right to see Namjoon hadn't scored one basket. His girlfriend now patting his back.

"Wow, Sujin. I didn't know you were good at basketball." Hongbin acknowledged before wrapping his arm around my waist. I squeezed the bear in my other arm allowing the opposite arm to caress Hongbin. 

"Thanks...It's a hidden talent I guess." I smiled. 

"Yeah, Sujin just loves to put big things in tight holes. Maybe she should've been on the basketball team instead." Namjoon remarked with a smirk on his face. Hongbin's grip from me released immediately as he stepped toward Namjoon. 

"Dude what's your issue? It's not her fault that you at basketball."

"Hongbin, it's okay. What he says doesn't bother me anymore. I don't care. Let's go on a ride?" I said whilst grabbing Hongbin's hand.

​ A smile on his face as he looked at me and nodded okay. 

"Do you wanna go on the carousel?" He asked. Before I could respond, Namjoon said the one thing that turned this whole night into a disaster. 

"Nah. You see the one thing about Sujin is she doesn't like slow rides. She likes it hard, rough, and fast. Right, Sujin?" Namjoon his lips tauntingly.  That was the moment Hongbin snapped. He pushed Namjoon against a booth and punched him repeatedly. I ran after the two trying to break up the fight 

​​​"What the  is wrong with you? How dare you talk about Sujin like that? How dare you say those filthy things? How dare you?" He punched him after each question. Namjoon smiled with blood dripping from the corner of his mouth. A scar above his eyebrow from the impact. 

"You should ask Sujin.  I'm sure she can fill you in on everything." He chuckled bitersweetly. Hongbin turned around to face me slowly. His fist covered in blood and bruises. His eyes filled with pain and betrayal. My eyes filled with tears as I watched my best friend stand in agony. 

"Hongbin-ah. " My voice as quiet as a whisper. He rubbed his hands through his hair in distress before walking the other way. Namjoon left behind in the grass. I shook my head at him in disapproval. Why was I surprised that he took it this far? He put me in jail for s sake! He's ruined my life and apparently he's not done. I chased after Hongbin who was now in the parking lot headed for his car.

"Hongbin-ah! " I called his name again and he stopped at the drivers side. His key already inside the lock.

"Mwo?" His tone exhausted.

​​​​​"Can you please let me explain?" I begged. He didn't verbally respond he instead gestured for me to get inside the car. I complied with his request. Once again the ride to my place was silent. Hongbin didn't utter a word. He couldn't even glance in my direction. It wasn't until he reached the curb of my house that he said something.

"If you like Namjoon, please don't use me to make him jealous...I'm not a toy." His tone soft as he continued tone avoid eye contact. I nodded.

"I like you, Hongbin. I really do."

"But, you like him more..." He uttered. I exhaled before getting out of the car knowing I couldn't deny that statement. I watched Hongbin speed off into the night before heading to my room using the tree to my balcony of course. I was surprised to see the blonde haired demon standing on my balcony. A bandaid now covering the scar above his eyebrow. Without thinking I punched him in the chest.

"I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!" I screamed only to find his lips press against mine roughly.

"Never kiss him in front of me again." He whispered before climbing off of the balcony, jumping from the tree, then, running to his motorcycle next door. What is going on?