Midnight invitations

180° GIRL

It was early in the morning and Chorim was on her way to the campus when it started raining. It wasn’t very heavy rain but it was enough to make Chorim go hide under cover to avoid her perfectly styled hair getting ruined so early in the day. She rarely carried an umbrella on her because she learnt that when you’re extremely pretty, someone will always be generous enough to offer an umbrella to you even if it meant getting wet themselves and it was something she guiltily abused. She could imagine for someone like Jin, girls and guys would desperately sprint to him just to offer him an umbrella if he was ever caught in the rain without one. Chorim took cover at the entrance of a small convenience store not too far away from the university. She was wiping the rain off of her bag when she happened to see the person standing next to her. SH*T, IT’S THE DENSE HIGH SCHOOL KID. He had his hands coolly tucked away in the pockets of his pants and was bobbing his head up and down to the music being blasted through his headphones. I need to get out of here…

It was as if the universe was cursing Chorim because as soon as she was prepared to run through the rain in an attempt to escape, a sudden downpour came down. Really? Reaaalllyy?? Chorim took a step back under the roof again and angled herself away from the high school boy. Some of the rain started leaking through the roof and landing on the boy’s hair. He took a small step to the side and bumped into Chorim and turned to her, immediately ready to apologise.
“Oh sorry…” He cut off his sentence as soon as he saw her familiar side profile. Chorim stiffened up and tried to casually turn away even more. It’s okay Chorim, he can’t possibly recognise you… She didn’t know whether or not he did recognise her as the ‘homeless’ lady because as soon as he opened his mouth to say something, another sight caught his attention and distracted him. There was another high school boy in the same uniform without the tie just walking past them in the rain without a care, absolutely soaked. Chorim couldn’t see well because of the rain but it seemed like there was washed out blood coming from his lip. He had a very intense set of eyes which Chorim accidentally made direct eye contact with for a brief second before he continued to stroll past. What’s his problem? Chorim couldn’t help but glance up at the boy next to her and could see his seething expression. All of a sudden, he ran off into the rain and followed the other guy around the corner. Alrighty then… She checked the time on her watch and panicked. HNGGG, MY CLASS STARTS SOON!

~

Hoseok rang the bell and waited around nervously in front of Taehyung’s apartment. This place is old but it’s quite homely… He was partly there to return the favour to Jimin but it was quite unlike Hoseok to have an ulterior motive. He still hadn’t given up on the girl next door and wanted to investigate further, sensing something was fishy with his passing out incident.
“Can I help you?” Taehyung said in his deep booming voice as soon he opened the main door.
“Oh, I…” This is the right place, right? “I’m after Jimin?”
Taehyung stayed quiet for a while but then opened the security door and revealed himself. Hoseok cheerfully greeted him even though Taehyung had his asocial front on. Woah, he’s a good looking fellow…but he looks intimidating... Taehyung called out to Jimin who lazily made his way from the couch to the door without taking his eyes off his phone.
“Jimin!” Hoseok happily exclaimed. Jimin glanced up for a millisecond and then returned his attention to his phone. However, at the second glance, he realised it was Hoseok, the guy who passed out the other day and dropped his arm with the phone to the side.
“Oooohhhhh, it’s you.” Jimin said. Sh*t.
“Yes! I just wanted to thank you for helping me the other day.” Hoseok dug into his pocket and took out a card similar to the one he gave Chorim. Jimin pushed Hoseok’s hand away and shook his head.
“It’s fine. You’ve thanked me enough. I don’t need anything.” Jimin said, feeling a bit guilty that he was receiving gratitude for something that didn’t even happen. Hoseok insisted Jimin take the card and put it in his hand. In that very moment, a loud squeal came from Chorim’s apartment. They both looked over to her place and awkwardly listened on as she screamed with joy and began to excessively swear and yell out ‘YES!” several times.
“I thought you said a guy lives next door.” Hoseok innocently remarked, adding a light chuckle to ease the awkwardness.
“Ummm…” Jimin madly darted his eyes back and forth, “yeah, he’s probably just having a good time with his girlfriend, you know?” Jimin laughed nervously, feeling a sweat drop from his temple down the side of his face whilst Hoseok nodded slowly with uncertainty. Finished with what he wanted to do, Hoseok bowed once again and walked towards the stairs. Jimin examined the card which didn’t have anything written on it.
“Wait, what’s the card for?” Jimin asked just before Hoseok fully disappeared down the stairs.
“Oh, sorry, I forgot to tell you. It gives you free unlimited access to the buffets at any HOPE group hotel.” Hoseok stated very casually as if it wasn’t a big deal. Thinking that Jimin was so poor he couldn’t afford food, Hoseok was just very glad to have found the perfect way to return the favour to the stranger who helped him. Hoseok stood around awkwardly as Jimin stayed very quiet, trying to process what he just heard. Only when Hoseok was gone did Jimin come to his senses and realise the amount of power that had suddenly been bestowed upon him.

~

Later that night, Chorim was laying on her stomach on her bed and swinging her legs in the air in a giddy manner. She was absorbed in a flirty conversation with none other than Jin who was also being quite responsive. She wiped her dirty fingers on her pants and happily shoved more potato chips into with crumbs falling everywhere as she poured all of her attention into the conversation window.

Jin: where are you now
Jin: i’ll come to you

Chorim sat up and brought the screen up to her face. No no no no no…

Chorim: what? now?
Chorim: it’s nearly midnight!
Chorim: im sure you can wait till tomorrow to see me ^^

Jin: i know but

Chorim tensed up as she saw the dots show up, indicating he was writing something. “I want to see you now”? She let out a dorky chuckle.

Jin: i need to give you something

Chorim squinted at the message. The heck do you need to give me at this time? Chorim weighed up all her possible responses and the consequences in her mind before facing the challenge.

Chorim: im actually not at home right now

She stared blankly at what she just wrote with her thumbs hovering over the screen. Chorim, you ing… Where the heck are you at this time then? Chorim planted her face into her pillow and tried to think of a way to save herself.

Chorim: im at the convenience store getting some stuff
Chorim: we can meet up somewhere nearby?
Jin: sure
Jin: :)

After arranging a meeting place that was conveniently near her actual apartment, Chorim tried to put on her best ‘oh-im-not-even-wearing-making-up’ makeup despite it being so late in the night. There was no way she was going to meet Jin as she was at home. She excessively sprayed dry shampoo in her gross hair and tried to make it look naturally pretty. She left the house in her expensive slimming black tracksuit pants and a simple but tight fitting grey shirt. She didn’t want to look too glammed up, thinking that Jin would find it offputting considering this was supposed to an impromptu meeting in the middle of the night.

Ah, it’s pretty cold… Chorim was eagerly waiting at a small court near the convenience store when she realised what had been bothering her the entire time she was there. She madly dashed off and then returned to the meeting place with a bag full of random snacks she just bought in her hand. She had remembered that she told Jin she was out getting stuff and how stupid it would look if she didn’t have anything with her. Dodged a bullet there Chorim... Just in time, Jin pulled up in his sportscar and got out to greet Chorim. He was in a pair of black pants with a white shirt and a grey long coat. Damn it, I feel underdressed now…
“Sorry, did I keep you waiting?” He asked.
“No, not at all!” Chorim cutely shook her head and Jin smiled at her. He took off his long coat and popped it around her shoulders.
“Oh, you don’t need to, my place is near here so…”
“It’s what I wanted to give you.”
“What?” Chorim asked, quite perplexed. His coat? Jin chuckled and lifted up one side of the coat and dug his hand into one of the inside pockets. He then took out an envelope and gave it to Chorim. She looked at him still a bit confused and then opened the envelope and looked at the card inside.
“It’s an invitation?” She said out loud as she read the through the card.
“For a wedding.” A small smile appeared on his face, “Will you be my plus one?” Jin asked quite sincerely. Chorim’s face froze up at first but then she burst into bright laughter and had to modestly but prettily hide her smile.
“You came all the way here to ask me that?”
“Well, I was meant to do it last week but I missed my chance. I didn’t want to leave it too late because the wedding is quite soon.”
“I’ll have to check my schedule.” I will ing cancel everything I have on that day, don’t you worry. “I’ll let you know.” Chorim tried to restrain her smile as to not creep Jin out. There was no way she wasn’t going to go but she didn’t want to come across as too keen. Chorim was about to take his coat off when Jin suddenly held the two sides of the coat and pulled her in closer to him.
“No, keep it on. I don’t want you to get sick again.” Jin’s angelic smile pierced through Chorim’s sanity. She held her breath and could feel her heart already getting overwhelmed. “Are you sure you’ll be okay here? I can drive you home no matter how close it is.”
“I’ll be fine. I know this area like the back of my hand.” She confidently held up her hand in front of her. Jin let go of the jacket and then held her ice cold hand with his large and warm hands.
“Be sure to keep your hands warm then.” Jin instructed before heading to his car. Chorim shyly nodded and thought he was just going to head off but he leaned back against the door and continued to look at her.
“What’s wrong?” SH*T, IS THERE SOMETHING ON MY FACE? DID I STUFF UP MY MAKEUP!?
“I don’t really want to leave you just yet.” Jin smirked with his arms crossed.
“It’s late. You’ve got a morning class tomorrow.” Chorim smiled and ushered him to get into his car. Jin held up both hands to wave to her in a cute manner before getting into his car. So handsome but adorable at the same time…this is too much, I can’t handle it… Chorim did her best not to lose her cool and continued to wave as he drove off. She made sure Jin’s car was completely out of sight before doing excessive side fist pumps to unleash her joy. Chorim, you ing legend!

As she turned the last corner on her way home, she spotted a suspicious figure standing near the mailboxes and slowed down. The person brought a phone closer to their face and the light illuminating from the screen revealed their identity. HOSEOK? Chorim stopped midway and quietly backed away, making sure she didn’t draw any attention to herself. Why is he here again!? Why, why, why!? As soon as she was back at the corner, she frantically ran away down the street.

~

Yoongi was at the corner light on the other side of the street, watching as everything happened. When he crossed the road, he saw the person Chorim seemed to be hiding from near the mailboxes. Without knowing who it was, Yoongi pulled him back by his coat and slammed him against the metal fence. Out of fear, Hoseok held both of his trembling arms up in the air with his eyes shut. This ing guy again, is he following me? Yoongi aggressively leaned in with his hand grabbing onto Hoseok’s jacket and his arm tucked right under Hoseok’s chin.
“You better tell me what you’re up to if you want to leave in one piece.” Yoongi threatened with a cold stare which made Hoseok shake with anxiety. He had always been the type to avoid confrontation ever since he was young, especially physical ones. One peek of Yoongi’s tattoo sleeve was enough to make Hoseok wish he hadn’t returned to the place. Throughout the day ever since the morning, Hoseok was determined to go back and meet the girl, thinking that she was the girlfriend of the tenant that lived next to Jimin. It was just how Hoseok was. He never wanted to feel indebted to anyone for long and was always going out of his way to return any favour, big or small. Hold on...he knows the girl!
“W-w-wait, I can explain.” Hoseok stuttered with his hands shaking violently in the air. Yoongi let go of his grip on Hoseok’s jacket to let him calm down first and waited for an explanation. All Hoseok could manage was “I’m looking for someone” whilst he tried to  catch his breath which made Yoongi even more suspicious of him. Hoseok pointed to the Chorim’s apartment, “The girl who lives there. I just want to meet her.” He wants to see Chorim? Is he a stalker?
“I better not see your face around here ever again or else.” Yoongi sternly warned him. Hoseok immediately cowered away and unwillingly nodded. He happened to see the takeaway fried food that was now soggy in the bag Yoongi was holding.
“I’m sorry for any inconvenience. Here, I’ll pay for the food since it’s my fault.” Hoseok said, quite sincerely. Yoongi raised a brow as he watched Hoseok take out his wallet. Is this guy an idiot? Yoongi’s eyes bulged out as soon he spotted all the cash in Hoseok’s fat wallet. He suddenly felt intense anger towards Chorim, knowing that he could have gotten away with all that money from ages ago if she hadn’t interfered. Hah...Yoongi suddenly put a hand on Hoseok’s shoulder and moved his gaze from the money to Hoseok’s eyes. Hoseok’s body was paralysed from the fear that he was about to get brutally bashed up.
“You just want to meet the girl who lives there right?” Yoongi pointed to Chorim’s apartment. Hoseok’s slow nod turned into quite an enthusiastic one, actually believing that Yoongi had had a change of heart. Yoongi slung his arm around Hoseok’s shoulders with an evil grin melting into his face, “Don’t worry, I think you and I are going to get along very well.”

~

Chorim stood in front of a closed cafe with her hands in the pockets of Jin’s coat. I wonder if Hoseok is gone yet… She bounced up and down on her sneakers whilst thinking about how Jin had asked her to be his plus one. I’m totally in, right? Kim Seokjin wouldn’t ask just anyone to go with him. She kept picturing the moment Jin pulled her in closer to him and started giggling to herself.
“Chorim?” A deep voice called out. Chorim snapped out of her daydreaming state and looked up to see Taehyung.
“Oh! Taehyung! What the heck are you doing?” Chorim jumped down the steps in front of her.
“I think the fact that you’re just idly standing here is more questionable.” Taehyung retorted. Chorim pouted, refusing to respond to him.
“Alright, well I’m heading home. Laters.” Taehyung left without even looking back at her, knowing that she would eventually join him anyway. The neighbourhood they were in was quiet now that it was past midnight and despite the dimly lit streets, Taehyung could see the expression on Chorim as she walked beside him.
“You’re awfully happy.” Taehyung commented, trying not to sound too curious. He had also noticed the grey long coat she was wearing which was obviously too big for her.
“Oh, you can tell?” Chorim cupped her warm cheeks and gleefully swayed her head side to side with a goofy smile stuck on her face, “I’m just so close Taehyung.”
“Close to what?”
“Snagging the guy of my dreams.” Chorim triumphantly held the peace sign out in front of him. It wasn’t really jealousy that Taehyung felt at that moment as he watched Chorim cup her face with her hands, stupidly embarrassed by what she just said and did, but it would be wrong to say that Taehyung didn’t feel anything. As soon as he saw her happily glowing face, he did feel an unfamiliar sense of mild discomfort. It was discomfort derived from the fact that he had never previously seen her with such a genuinely happy expression or rather he had never done anything that made her this happy before. It was a side to her he was unfamiliar with.
“Hah, good luck with that.” Taehyung said with the slightest tinge of bitterness that he didn’t realise himself.

 



A/N: FIRE!!!

Hello! Just really wanted to release a chapter to celebrate the comeback of our boys which is going to be released *checks imaginary watch on wrist* very very very soon! There may be a few awkward errors in the chapter which I may or may not fix later. :P The story is coming along nicely and the puzzle pieces are falling into place according to plan. Hehehehe. Hope you are enjoying it!

WHOOOHOOO! *waits giddily by laptop*