Welcome Back

Petrichor: Rainy With A Chance of Park Chanyeol
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She hadn’t made her first visit to Café Halcyon despite having tried almost all of the food on their menu – thanks to Chanyeol – until test season finally ended and she found herself wandering around downtown one afternoon when Chanyeol was hanging out with Joonmyeon and Kyungsoo.

Once she pushed open the doors of the café, the sweet chime of a bell announcing her entrance, she immediately fell in love with everything about the place – from the pleasant aromatic smell of coffee beans that seemed to fill the shop, the simple and aesthetically designed interior down to the white noise that floated around and into her ears.

“Haneul?” A familiar voice said.

She turned her head and immediately recognized the man standing behind the counter, he gently placed the cup of latte on the wooden countertop. A waitress came by and took the cup for serving as Haneul walked over to the barista, who was already beaming at her with a warm smile on his face.

“Minseok oppa.” She sat on an empty stool, placing her bag on her lap. “I didn’t know you work here.”

“I actually started last week, when the other café I worked at changed their operating hours and I couldn’t fit my schedule to accommodate it.” He said while taking a cup from the rack and drying it with the towel in his hand.

“Do you like it here?”

“Yeah, definitely.” Minseok smiled. “Despite the rolling of customers, it’s not as hectic as my last job and the atmosphere here is very nice. Everyone just seems really laid back here, you know?”

She nodded.

“What would you like to eat or drink by the way?”

Haneul looked up at the chalkboard that hung above behind the counter and scanned through the lists, she wasn’t particularly hungry so she opted for something less heavy. “I’ll have a hot green tea latte, thank you.”

Nodding, Minseok put away the cup and turned to the sink to wash his hands. Haneul let her eyes wander around the coffee shop, she understood why Minseok liked working here. It was almost as if the wooden door was a portal which granted access to a place of tranquility and ease from the other side in the midst of  the busy and dense downtown. Even the air that was pulled into her lungs seemed different, and it wasn’t just because of the coffee scent.

Minseok soon returned with her order, he placed the cup in front of her and on the side was a small but delicately made strawberry fruit tart. “Since it’s the first time seeing you here, it’s my treat.”

His tone offered no room for Haneul to argue, plus the happy grin that he flashed her stopped all words of protest that were ready to leave . Her lips cracked into a smile as she looked at him. “Thank you.”

He waved her thanks away w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter