Stress

Frozen Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ha!! I'm back!! How was Christmas for all of you lovely readers out there? Mine was good, I think I gained about 5 kg just from eating Christmas cookies alone. Eeek!!!

Welcome 13 new subbies and thanks to sagigirl94, EUNHAE_biased and vince1108 for upvoting!! :)

 

Donghae’s POV

Freaking pigeons wouldn’t stop fluttering in my stomach.

I didn’t want to think about it anymore. Every single revelation seemed to deem us doomed; and there I was, thinking that humans were far superior than tiny microorganisms that could barely be seen even under a microscope.

Oh, how wrong I was.

Seeing Hyukkie all stressed out on the black leather chair made my heart crack a little every time without fail. He was working so hard and I couldn’t even do anything to help him in the lab. He refused my help whenever I offered, saying that he didn’t want to risk me being exposed to all four current different kinds of virus if he could help it, just in case. I huffed when he said that, some kind of lame excuse it was.

Our boss finally snapped out of it when Hyukkie told him about the recent discovery and ordered every single available person on the case. Bummie then decided that he needed my help in conducting some sort of background research about the pathogen so I didn’t get to help Hyukkie out with his antidote. Note that he probably would have refused help, again.

The clock struck five, and I couldn’t be any more thankful. Throwing a somewhat forced grin to Bummie, I quickly turned off the computer screen and waltzed my way out. I mentally prepared myself for what I was going to get myself into and took in a deep breath. Stopping outside Hyukkie’s door, I lightly knocked exactly three times before I heard him calling me in.

That’s it, time to start the plan.

Hopefully, we wouldn’t be so tense and be more relaxed after everything.

At least, I really, really hoped so. If only hyung’s advice turned out to be right.

“Hyukkie?” I put on my sweetest smile and pushed open the door. Hyukkie was currently faceplanting on the desk, kissing the polished surface through his mask. I crouched over to catch his gaze. “What are you doing?”

“What do I look like I’m doing?”

“Sleeping? I don’t know…” I scrunched my eyebrows together, knowing exactly what was bothering him. He just groaned in response. I bent down and leaned my cheek against the cool desktop inches away from him.

“Hey…” I started. “As much as this is surprisingly really comfortable, it’s time to go back. We’re over. Done. You can stop thinking now because we’re going home. Now.”

“…”

“Wouldn’t you prefer kissing something else other than cotton and wood? I’m right here, you know… and I’m getting jealous of your desk already.”

“Mmh.”

“Come on!!” I stressed, getting up and pulling him up from his chair. He then decided to go all jellyfish on me, leaning against me heavily as he flailed his arms about. “You know very well that I want to kiss you senseless right now and this mask just isn’t working out very well with me; and you know how boss is with his orders!! Just freaking move, Hyukkie!!”

At least he decided to sober up, but not before wrapping his arms around me and pressing me down against the desktop, facing him. To my surprise, a fat tear was rolling down his cheek and soon others followed, rolling off his nose and soaking the cotton material in small splotches.

“Hyukkie? A-are you alright? I didn’t mean to sound so harsh… I’m sorry!!”

“No, I’m sorry… Baby I’m so sorry…”

“Wha-? Why?”

“I… I… I’m sorry for being a failure to you…”

I scrunched my eyebrows together. What was the matter with him? “What… do you mean?” I asked slowly.

“I’m sorry for failing to protect you.”

I hummed, my fingers tangling in his bright pink hair. “It’s not your fault.”

He hugged me even tighter and we stayed in that position for a while, letting him calm down and collect his nerves first. Hyukkie finally smiled wanly and stood up, bringing me with him. “I’m sorry; let’s go. You must be starving.”

I smiled and leaned our faces close together. “I want tacos tonight. Please?”

Hyukkie grinned that grin that made me melt inside. “Anything for my baby.”

* * *

Hyukkie drove us to that famous Mexican place quite near his apartment. We were regular customers there, and I practically had their menus memorised already.

“Ola, may I take your orders please?” A bubbly waitress suddenly appeared at my side and asked me enthusiastically. She seemed like she was really high on sugar a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter