Chapter 50

JUST Common Sense

 

Everyone abandoned the art gallery the second Zico and Suho got a call from the hospital about Soyoung's and Baekhyun's condition. Although the evening was all planned out, no one had expected this tragic event to happen, and they all have forgotten about it when they came to know about the shocking news. No one looked around the gallery to make sure everything was in place. They just ran towards their cars and drove off the the hospital. 

Zico had notified Soyoung's parents, who immediately boarded an emergency flight home, canceling future meetings. Suho, on the other hand, notified Baekhyun's family, who also rushed to the hospital.

They all stood outside of the emergency room, waiting anxiously for further news. 

They've all been told that surgery was still undergoing, and it has been an hour since they've arrived. No one was sitting still. Everyone, whether sitting or standing, were all fidgeting, uneasy of the current situation.

Kai held Eunbyul's hand tightly as she shook of fear and concern. Whenever she released a small cry, he would wrap his arms around her and pat her back softly.

Zico and Kyung continued to heave heavy sighs as Kyung would once in a while curse while Zico would hit his head against the wall, secretly wishing that God switch him and Soyoung's places; that he'd rather take the pain for her.

Taemin, Tao, Sehun, Chen, Kyungsoo, and Xiumin continued clenching and unclenching their tightly closed fists, hoping that the two would be okay.

Chanyeol and Yixing continued to fidget with their hands as concern filled them up.

Suho and Kris wouldn't stop glancing over at the emergency doors.

Baekhyun's mother and younger sister couldn't stop crying as his father tried to comfort the two, at the same time as worrying for himself.

No one knew what the results would be, and they could only hope that the results would come out positive. If they were to come out bad, if, then none of them would want to know the truth; they'd rather not know of the results.

Luhan sat against the wall, his face buried in his hands, his eyes tightly closed. So this was what he felt. When he had felt as if something would go wrong today, this was what he was feeling. The indescribable pain Luhan was in right now was utterly horrible and terrifying. He couldn't help but blame himself for what has happened.

He could've prevented this somehow. He should've done something the second he felt the odd feeling earlier that day. He shouldn't have just let it be and dismissed it. Now, he was regretting his actions.

The person he loved was currently in a situation he would never wish upon her. The person he had yet let her know that he loves her was currently in a life or death situation. Not only was the person he loved in this situation, but also one of his best friend too. If only he could take both of their places, he would.

He really would.

Despite the many times everyone joked of how selfish he could be, despite the many times everyone joked of how unmannerly he could be, Luhan never felt such jokes hit him in so many sincere ways. His selfish self of wanting to be with her, and the unmanerly ways he treated his best friend, he regretted now. If he could turn back time, he would turn it back to the time when was still in Beijing. He would turn it back to the time when he chose not to confess. He would turn it back to the time when he still fought his feelings. He would turn it all back if he could so that these two peope, who he greatly cherished, wouldn't have to be in this position because of him.

It was all his fault, and there would never be a day when he wouldn't blame himself.

All he could do now was hope and hope that both Soyoung and Baekhyun would be okay,

Everyone stood up immediately and fled towards the surgeon who came from the emergency room.

"How is my son?" Baekhyun's mother desperately asked. "He's alright, isn't he? Please tell me he's alright."

"Is Soyoung doing okay?" Zico had the same desperate tone as the elder did. Everyone silently stared at the surgeon, all in desperate hopes. Everyone, except for Luhan.

Luhan didn't dare question. He didn't dare get up to ask. He didn't dare to look at the surgeon. Instead, he stood up slowly with red eyes as he had been shedding tears of worries, and went the opposite way and left the hospital. He didn't deserve to question about their well-being nor did he deserve to know about their well-being either. After all, this was all because of him.

The surgeon sighed, "The surgery for Kim Soyoung went well and was a success. She hasn't gained conscious yet, but I can guarantee that she is fine and stable as of now. For Byun Baekhyun, however, the surgery is still going on. He has lost too much blood, and blood is scarce right now. The surgeon who is doing surgery on him says we still can't tell his condition as of now. We'll have to wait a bit longer to see what will happen."

Some of them quietly sighed in relief at the mention of Soyoung's well-being, but they didn't dare to show some of that relief as they all heard that Baekhyun was still in surgery.

The surgeon's words towards Baekhyun was basically saying that the chances of him not making it was quite high, and none of them are ready to prepare for a funeral yet.

 

 

Hangout. Traffic. A child. The accident.

Everything rushed through Soyoung's mind before she jolted awake with heavy breaths.

"Soyoung!" Zico rushed to her side as so did the others who decided to watch over her as the rest went over to Baekhyun's room.

The sight of Zico and the others, and the fact that she was safe and sound, filled Soyoung with relief. Never in her life had she missed and yearned to see the people she loved so much before. 

The second Baekhyun jerked his car to the left to avoid the child, Soyoung had a feeling it would be the last thing she experiences on earth. She had thought that would be where her life ends, so seeing that she had made it after all filled her with relief; Seeing that the people she loved was all here by her side made her emotional.

She looked at each and everyone's faces, and when she met her mother and father's gaze, she bursted into tears. Her mother grabbed her hand that stretched out to them and she wrapped her arms around her mother as so did her father. Her parents. How much she had missed them. How much she loved them. How grateful she was for having to have made it here.

Never in her life had she ever wished to live so much.

 

 

Darkness. All Baekhyun could see was darkness, and he couldn't feel anything around him at all as if he was alone. 

"Baekhyun," a soft familiar voice suddenly called out gently. "Byun Baekhyun. Hey, little brother, you need to get up."

A strong beam of light cracked through the darkness, blinding baekhyun as he brought his arm up to shield the strong light.

"Baekhyun."

Once he was used the the light, Baekhyun made out the familiar figure standing not too far ahead of him, and when he made out the man's face features, Baekhyun's eyes filled with tears. "Baekho hyung."

He stepped forward, but the man stepped back away fom him.

"You can't come to me yet, Baekhyun." The man smiled a sad smile. "Not yet. You need to go back. They're all still waiting for you."

"I'm not going back without you!" Baekhyun argued, anger filling him. All these years of missing his older brtoehr so much and to finally see him agai, Baekhyun wasn't going to go anywhere without him. "You have to come back with me. Everyone misses you so much, hyung. Mom and dad still hasn't forgotten about you. Jihyun grew up wishing she had known you. Her desire to meet you is strong, and knowing that you left us when she didn't even get the chance to get to know you, she's hurt. It's never too late to come back, so please come back, hyung. We need you."

The man with soft features stood silent for a few seconds, then he shook his head. "It's too late. I can't come with you as much as I want to."

"If you grab onto my hand, I'll help you to come back!" Baekhyun stepped forward once more, but like before, the man stepped away. "Hyung!" He shouted, irritated.

"You don't get it, my precious little brother. I can't come with you, but I don't want to take you with me either. At least not yet. You have to go back now before it's too late. Don't come after me, and don't grab my hand. Turn around and walk back. Mom, Dad, Jihyun, and everyone else, they're all waitiing for you."

"I told you. I'm not going back without you!"

"You have to. I'm never going to come back with you, Baekhyun."

"Then take me with you!" Baekhyun fell to his knees and bursted into hot tears. "You left me for all these years. You left me to be responsible for Jihyun and I. You left to be responsible with things I wasn't even ready for. You just left without any good byes. Do you have any idea how much I missed you? Do you have any idea the hardships our family went through since the day you left? Life was so hard for us."

The man frowned deeply, swallowing back his own tears. "I'm sorry that I've tired you out, but you have to continue being strong for everyone. It is not time for you yet, so I can't take you with me, Baekhyun. Now go before it's too late. The door will close soon."

Baekhyun wiped away his tears that continued to wash down his face, and where his brother pointed was a door that light shined on; the door really was closing.

"Now, Baekhyun. Go."

Baekhyun choked on his tears, but he stood up nonetheless and headed towards the door as if his brother was possessing him to move. "I don't want to go," Baekhyun cried, but his hand grabbed the knob and pulled the door open a bit wider. "I don't want to leave you, hyung. Please don't make me go."

"You have to. You must go, Baekhyun."

"Come with me, then. Please, don't make me leave without you." But Baekhyun had already stepped through the door to the other side.

"I love you, my little brother, and I love Jihyun too. Tell her that Byun Baekho loves her a lot. I love our mom and our dad too. I love you all very much, and I miss you all. It's only a matter of time when we all will reunite, so until them, take care of them. I'm sorry, my little brother."

Baekhyun stirred awake as he heard whispers of voices around him. His eyes slowly opened, his breathing evened.

When he was able to make out everyone's faces, Baekhyun realized it was all a dream.

The darkness. The strong beam of light. The shining door. Byun Baekho.

Once baekhyun recalled the dream, his eyes frantically searched for his brother's face, hoping that it wasn't a dream, and that his brother really was here. But he knew he was back in reality when he couldn't find his older brother's smiling face and only tired faces of his friends and family as they sighed in relief at his awakening.

"Baekhyun!" Jihyun, his younger sister, hugged him tightly, forgetting about the pain that his injuries gave him. Baekhyun didn't feel any of it though.

Just hearing his little sister's voice filled him up with so much warmth, and it was only then that he remembered where he was and why he was here.

The accident.

A tear rolled down Baekhyun's face as he recalled his brother pushing him to go through the door. *So this is what you were talking about. This was why you kept telling me to come back, Hyung.*

His weak arms wrapped around his little sister and his mother as she cried. "Thank you," Baekhyun whispered as he cried quietly. *Thank you, hyung, for telling me to come back.*

 

 

Luhan strolled around town lifelessly. It was already super late, past midnight. He had left before he heard about Soyoung and Baekhyun's condition. He didn't want to, but he forced himself to. The others must've noticed his absence, because some of them even tried calling him, but he ignored their calls.

It was Kris who texted Luhan that Soyoung was fine and had already gained consciousness; Baekhyun  had some complications with his surgery, but it was a succcess and his condition was currently stable; he just hadn't gained conscious yet.

At least that filled Luhan with relief, knowing that they were going to live and that they were okay, but that didn't make him feel better about himself.

Luhan walked into the gallery that they all worked hard to decorate.

His eyes brimmed with tears. This was the cause of why Baekhyun and Soyoung were in the state they were in.

"You win," Luhan's voice echoed through the walls. "You made it known that I'm not the one for Soyoung, so you win. I won't try to win her heart anymore. I won't tell her about my feelings anymore. I won't try anymore, so just promise me that Baekhyun and Soyoung won't have to go through such dangerous acts in the future because of me. I won't try anymore."

Tears rolled down his face as he cried softly.

One by one, he took off the hearts that were stuck to the wall, then he took down the banner and the paintings they had all put up. With just himself, Luhan cleaned up a week's worth of work within one night.

There would be no more confessions.

Luhan gave up.

For the sake of friendship, and precious lives.

Luhan gave up. 

 


 

Author's Note♥:

I finally had time to write! Yay! Now you guys won't be mad at me because I didn't make them die-- But Err, I can't guarantee you what you want with Luhan. The poor guy has officially given up. Yes, yes, I know. "AUTHOR WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO OUR POOR LUHAN". I know. It's okay. We can all share his pain together. Shh. It'll be okay. Just writing this chapter touched my heart though. I felt really strong about this chapter even though I probably wrote it really crappy & it was short. I was literally bawling my eyes out when I wrote Baekhyun's part & by the time I wrote the last line of this chapter, I wanted to slap myself because I've put Luhan into too much misery that even I'm hurting. OTL. Luhan, I love you. Heuheu.
Anyways, some of you are wondering where I get my inspiration for playing the piano other than KPOP & what type of piano music I listen. I usually go to YouTuber GBE Piano Garden for their piano pieces because, LORD, IT'S FREAKING BEAUTIFUL. The song I used for this chapter was from pianist/composer, Pray, which was posted under GBE Piano Garden, so do check out their beautiful compositions!
By the way, I've surpass the 300 Subscribers mark & I've hit 35 upvoters! Thank you, you beautiful & Lovely people! I love you guys so much. You guys are awesome. Thannk you for sticking with me for this story! I love you guys, too! :') 

 

ThankFor Subscribing∞:
Thanks to these BEAUTIFUL people who subscribed to 'JUST Common Sense'! 
♥ | roxxanne | carpediiem | unrequited-lover | kkatherina | kmarieily | reina-k-D_O | CITYOFJOANNE | KittyC | MsAwesomeTokki | pandamaomao | venasan | Imjustagirlnextdoor | htethnin | Lunew21 | iambrielleiant | Alicevandort | blueisland101 | xkimchi | asian_ninja712 | BlingBlingTiger | pandalolove | saranghaexo88 | Lynnda | Chubbiee | avisdawn | Jiyeon_JN | -Anita | Micha0524 | isabelleloveluhan | KPOPCHICKKAA | snadya | xSungYoung | ChaCha24 | 2pmfan4ever | rheesmiles | asdfjkl_unknown | absadeeheng | i-am-serene | hungryPie | kawailu | rainbow_bananas | AkaruiHoshi | liralyre | SMfan4evrAKB48 | Hellogec4 | Clou9Nine | dreamandshine | KaeJae | Yue97BAL | jungseungyeon | pretty_pamela | Putri02 |akpopfan | jain127 | jujube1908 | laceyblare | Cold-TowardsYou | Natalie_phuah96 | fangirl2000   | ExoticBabyArmy | kimminjung112 | chineseandkoreanboys | dbsk_cassie | oranghead | jia_loveluv | minhyuk-baegopa | PressPlay |jasminejane | krisgangsta | berry1207  |Chocolithugsyukiandini | leehyunae_pearl |I-Love-EXO | bacon9 | hanxing | itzailee Tokkichu | LilRosiie | pupamika | Kpopsizzle | BBgirly | TheRedEyedWolf | xingxingbaekhyeonnie | cutielove1108 | lolydev | Heyinpiniteu | ronnieee | blueskyy  Cakepopsareawesome12 | infinitybaby | LoveKpopBoyBand | exoticstaorin  lisatran wariii YuNgWoNnIe Supafast_Jellyfish shin_chaye  scattered  ravenous_red  thekyuhyunie lin_ling9697 chiel13 | Kitty_Min | Haesica08 | CakePOP_Crush | Khimmie | thechanyeolvirus | ggie15 | sela_305 | Rielah| euniice9 | flammerablelovelove | aNDe4STAR | lucy_0960 | JeLLY_BeaNS | xxikpxx | miiskax | Vieffje | Millies | luckystar92 | november11 | shiki3600 | 999666 | natasyaain | MaRiA2000 | chaeki19 | CamillaN | LuhanLittleDeer | PanXxhsu | --bubbletea-- | Kosianfanfics | XXanimexliveActionXX | Iamgay1 | Teamin | louise_sone | djputitbackon | fxkrys | RiaSkittles| | Nubci4 | luhannieyy | Nabylah91 | NightPM | originme0324 | Yeonyeonna | nasaroytaki | Deeena | Joesphine | kwangmin2001 | chinkieachel | naham142 | dawnxiamara | dancingdeermachine | diemsee | yangyomine | sleeplessnight | Deeelfy | Nami_97 | arenith | bygluvar | choxaxa | raniaa | PaoLu42090 | chie22 | KL_PINEAPPLE | Solana401 | Cjayyy | Fishys_Wife | Oswins | chenniey | numico | luckytohaveu | Exo_Fighting | EykaaFinkuru | fian_octa | anvancaro | 10strawberri | Pikrachu | macky1989 | miraluhan | Tafunazasso | TheBlossom122 | venus1014 | lolipop_18 | kirakinz | Asiangirl_21 | kimyunmi | J-loves | RegitaS | chanluhan | kissmelover123 | Stef-Luvs-Kpop | ShadyCakes | ZackeryFrost | anasianlover | naa_ly88 | KaWing | Reyzus | BubblySnowflake | Zawmhan | Kpoplover1307 | bfb1a499 | Hunnnie | beantart | exopuzzle | sharsharr | evolkpop | maizaux | Sparklebutterfly | ManUnited | HyueSung | BANA_STARLIGHT | Yvaine | xxsyfaizh | bevbrandy13 | sweetieana | remyeollie | Aeviou | Vorticism | Kpopidolwannabe| BabyHan | Got7saranghae | seductive_fairy | evoleihsif21 | kpoprocks56 | asimpleasian | 574109 | aretirabell | kawaiifangurl4lyf | xoxo128 | bellaburn | chanyeolequallove | kha7irun96 | seosohee | forevaluvkpop | RosaKhang | joycetricia | Eunhee48 | lourdeslulu | hannamprasetyo | infinitehopes | LovelySoulmate | ekashafyka | zombieee | kiss_xander23 | exofantasticelfshine | -Snow_White- | Qiwenn | Taelin | ainluhanexo | byun_haemi | moonlight07 | Lealiss | peace1212 | myamya | alelealee | hellostrangersheart | oppajj | myamya | alelealee | hellostrangersheart | dodooro | raiza03 | KrYxing | luexoxiolu | nina3132 | Hotcakes1800 | Fluffy_bunny16 | FuzzyBall34| sparklingdresses | its_kimchixx | _yoonie_ | Nessal | fyminseok | Zilkeeny | livihwang | xinfinity2010 | kimchiiee | LollieCupcakes | Thewolf-whocried-ma | sparklingdresses | dekleene87 | squeakumz | Stacy-lacy | HyeMean | Chromic-Karneval | Dian821 | meinim | megan14 | lulumygosh | nakatsudesu2 | ShikshinLovesTurtle | ZLchin | Chocoholics28 | Derpyna | attatya | Grwlhan | SonJieun | babypandacakes | irenexo13 | xiaozharbor | gdlovesme | emeezed | leeyumi | hanasong | christinegorilla | exooverdose77 | wintermintcookie | Giggles02 | babyboo07 | sbroces | Sarnadh | sarishay | Renzo0o | Penbook | maryship | beejanmi | Fadilla | Kim_Joyce | randomlady | fi3srdn | Babey_Ella | rainbowunicorn1 | naegalaxy | kimmeth | patricianicole624 | pastel-sky | thrownhopes | BapUkiss | musicgurl | xoTANox | CNSD999 | EykaaFinkuru | denisse143 | vernfantasia | Dolphin_Uranus | moonlight_23 | playthepiano | Fei_Lin | SakunoEchizen | Zimin131 | hikaraexo| Mizuku |