Chapter 18

JUST Common Sense

Soyoung’s POV

“Are you ready for college?” he asked me as we lazed around on the couch. I sat back and leaned against the couch while he laid back with his legs over my lap.

Typical Saturday.

“Honestly, no,” I replied curtly, because I’m really not.

I still have to get my schedule and roam the campus once more before school really starts. I’ve seen it once, but that was only the outer part and the fact that it looked big scared me just a bit. I never did like big buildings. I hate getting lost in some place you’re not familiar with. And that is why tomorrow, Zico, Kyung, and I had planned to go take a look at it tomorrow.

“And you’re not either,” I continued with a huge sigh. “Who is ready for college?”

“Kyung is,” Zico responded.

I did a double take upon his answer.

*Kyung?!* My mind shouted but my expression remained neutral.

“You lie too much.” I know Kyung’s not ready for college. He’s way too immature to be ready for college. If I’m not ready, then of course he wouldn’t be ready.

“I’m not lying right now,” Zico chuckled. He slid his legs off of me before sitting up and crossing his legs. He gave me a curious look. “You don’t believe that he’s ready?”

“Please, if I’m not ready, there’s a 99% chance that he’s not as well.” I reached forward and grabbed the bowl of chips off of the coffee table before I started munching on it.

Zico leaned forward to take some too and carefully ate them. “Let’s say that that 1% happens to be the outcome that he is ready and you're not.”

“So he isn’t?” He seemed to be quite serious about this. Wonder why.

“He is,” Zico said. “He’s actually become more mature than the last time you’ve seen him. He’s actually been studying.”

I stopped munching. He’s kidding, right? I mean, Kyung? Study? Pfft. Yeah.

“Studying for what?” I questioned.

“For college, duhh.” He made it sound as if it was the most obvious thing ever.

“I mean, why?” I emphasized.

It just doesn’t make sense. Why, all of a sudden, would Kyung take school serious and actually study? It’s not a bad thing, honestly, but it was never me who said studying is useless. Kyung said so himself. I still remember his words back when we were in 11th grade.

 

                | ‘Studying is stupid. It’s useless. You either know it, or you don’t. End of story.’ |

 

Yup, it’s still loud and clear in my head. That was what he said.

“Because he wants to take college seriously, duhh.” There he goes again with his ‘Oh-so-obvious’ attitude.

Tsk.

“But isn’t he majoring in music? What is there to study for if you’re majoring in music?” That’s a question that I didn’t even think about. It just shot out of my mouth. You know, sometimes, they say, your mouth is smarter than your brain. Hehe.

I could hear Zico give a slight scoff. “You know nothing about music. In case you didn’t know, it’s typical to study for music just like any other subjects. Music isn’t all about lyrics and tunes and feelings. In order to produce good music, you have to be open with other types of music and know what makes each different. You have to study all of this to understand.”

“Are you studying?” I mocked him. He sounded quite intelligent with such an answer, so I felt the need to mock him. I already knew his answer though.

“I wish,” he laughed before quickly returning to his normal state. “Right now, Kyung’s having a hard time. I’m surprised that he can even study in this state.”

And at the mention of that, the part of me that wanted to joke around vanished. Of course I knew what Zico had meant. And now, I know why Kyung was studying.

Mrs. Park was still in the hospital and we’re not sure when she’ll be released from there. Kyung has it hard right now because of the state his mom is in and it saddened both Zico and I that this is happening. His mom was practically everything to him. Mrs. Park would either leave our world soon, or either be able to fight off cancer. The thing that about this is that none of us knew the answer to if she would live long or not. This was why Kyung’s studying. To show her that she can rely on her son to wake up on the bright side of life by doing well in College.

*He must really be taking everything serious now.* I thought sadly. I miss Kyung, I realized. It's only been some days that I haven't seen him, but I miss him. Maybe it's because I know that he wouldn't be the playful Kyung I once knew, but a now more mature student who's going to start taking life more serious. Whatever the unknown reason may be, I truly miss Kyung.

The atmosphere quickly turned solemn. It has happened many times since the day Mrs. Park entered the hospital. The room would easily turn to a state that makes us sad and frustrated. Whether if Kyung was with us or not, Zico and I were always reminded that we have one best friend that’s emotionally depressed right now because his mother was fighting for her life. This was what made us uneasy every single day.

 

“Have you…” I hesitated on my question. Should it be asked? Should it not? “Have you seen Songhye since the last time?”

Because I knew that they didn’t get along. Zico and Songhye. Because I knew of Zico’s dislike towards her, that was what made me uneasy of asking the question, but if I don’t ask, who will? As much as I didn’t want to bring her up to Zico, I had to. I actually don’t even know what happened to the two in the past after they broke up that made them so bitter towards each other, but it was a matter that Zico didn’t like to speak of. Because I respect him, I didn’t push his buttons to ask what had happened.

Zico stayed silent for seconds before answering. “No and I don’t want to. Taeil and the others have been talking to her lately though.”

“Oh,” was all I could say.

Songhye, to us, isn’t just any girl that Zico once dated, nor is she just the sister to my best friend, Park Kyung. She’s also someone I used to look up to. And a lot to that, actually. Sure, as a kid, I didn’t talk to her much nor did I have any sort of interaction with her. Maybe from time to time we’d talk, but that was time to time. I wasn’t necessarily close with her, like how Zico was. Back then, Zico and her were like paper glued to each other, while me and her were more like paper beside paper with no specific attachments besides the air itself.

Songhye was someone I saw as my role model. She was smart. She was pretty. She was kind. And most of all, she was the eye candy for all guys out there. I used to envy her and wanted to grow up to be like her, but the day she left for the U.S, I stopped envying her. Since that day, I stopped seeing her as my role model.

Why, you might wonder?

“I hate her,” Zico said after we shared minutes of silence. His voice sounded bitter, yet, I could hear it filled with sorrow. “I don’t just dislike her, but I truly hate her with a strong sense of passion.”

Because she left her family, only being her mom and Kyung, when they were at their worst. Because she didn’t even look back at them as she moved forward.

“She has the worst timings ever,” I heard him mutter. “She shouldn’t have come back.”

Because that very day that she left for the U.S, Kyung had begged her not to go, but even his tears didn’t stop her from leaving her own family.

“She had to come back,” I prompted up something to say. Anything to say. “Her family’s here.”

And when she left, she smiled. She was happy. She was glad. But when she left, he cried. He was sorrow-filled. He was in pain. Both Kyung and his mom were devastated, and just like that, they were abandoned.

“You know that that isn’t what you want to say,” Zico sighed. He looked at me with sincere eyes. I could see the pain that was built up inside him. “You know that, like me, you don’t want her to come back.”

I looked away, averting eyes from him.

                ‘He’s right, and you know it. You don’t want her to come back. You know you once wished that she would disappear forever.’ A voice in the back of my head voiced.

And I was troubled.

“You know that you once wished that she would disappear forever.” Zico took my hand gently and brushed his thumb over it. It shocked me that his words matched my conscience. I could hear the guy beside me swallow. “And you know that you hate her just as much as Kyung hates her.”

“I --“ I stuttered, “I don’t hate her.”

I don’t want to think that I hate her. I don’t hate her. I have a surge of dislike for her because of what she’s done, but I don’t hate her.

                ‘You hate what she did.’ My conscience voiced again.

“I hate what she did,” I helped back myself up. “But I don’t hate her.”

I still didn’t meet his eyes, and because of this, Zico brought both hands up to my face and turned my head so that I would look at him. It hurt me even more to see that he looked beaten. He looked lost.

“Lighten up,” Zico managed a smile. I blinked.

What?

*Lighten up?*

“You look too down to do anything today,” Zico chuckled as his hands left my face, and he scooted away to give me space.

“Uh…” I was left speechless. What a change. “I don’t have anything planned for today though.”

“Then plan something,” Zico suggested. “Or should I plan something?”

“Well, that depends on what you’re planning to plan.” I know what he’s doing. This is why he’s my best friend.

Because he knows when to stop and lighten up the mood.

*He’s lightening up the mood. Oh, Woo Jiho. Can anyone get a better friend than me?* A smile suppressed onto my face.

“What do you want to do today?” Zico then asked me, a blank expression on his face.

“I thought the plan was to stay home and laze around,” I whined playfully. Just to lighten up the mood, you know?

But I wasn’t joking. I just felt like lazing around today. My head has gotten a lot better, thanks to the medicine. It’s as if the pain was never there and no scars were left either, so I’m all good. Now if you talk about the bruise that I received from Songhye, it was still there, but it was faint so I’m good there too.

“Oh no!” Zico suddenly bursted out, making me jump from shock.

“What?!” I shrieked back, alarmed.

“Summer has turned our Soyoung much lazier than usual,” he laughed. Immediately, he earned punches on the arm from me.

That scared me sh*tless. That scared the living spirit out of me. Ughh.

“Don’t do that!” I punched him one last time. “You’re gonna make me get all paranoid and crap.”

“Your expression was priceless though!” And there goes his unstoppable laughs. I’ve got to admit though; I love it when he laughs. It tells me that everything is okay and it warms my heart.

I sighed dramatically.

That stupid outburst he gave though.

As I opened my mouth to speak, I was interrupted before I could begin by Zico’s phone. His text tone rang loudly but quickly. I’m still amazed with his new text tone, making it that his ring tone also. He had changed it two days ago, he told me.

 

 

Zico zipped out his phone and glanced at the text that he had received.

“Who texted?” A common question I would ask when someone texts him when I’m with him.

“Kyung,” he replied briefly before his fingers got moving and he texted back.

“What did he say?” Instead of letting Zico answer for himself, I leaned over and glanced at the text. A frown came upon my face.

“Wonder what’s wrong,” Zico muttered. I could hear the concern in his voice, but I can’t blame him for being concerned. This isn’t usual for Kyung.

Within seconds, Kyung texted back and I stayed quiet as I watched Zico reply to his texts.

 

This went on for 10 minutes. Yes, ten minutes of me being filled with curiosity and being alert every time Zico’s text tone went off, telling us that Kyung had texted back. Since the first few texts, I stopped reading because I felt that Zico wasn’t comfortable with me being so close to him when he texts. That was just like how Zico is. When people are too close to him when he texts, he gets annoyed. He, for some odd reason, likes a lot of space around him before he can text freely. Odd fact.

“Let’s go,” Zico said before getting up. I followed suit, not sure of what was going on.

“Go where?” I asked. Questions starting shooting out of my mouth. “I mean, why? Is something wrong? What did Kyung say?”

And instead of answering me, Zico gave me his phone instead. I took it, putting on my shoe and leaving the house after him, locking up securely.

When Zico gives me his phone, it means two things. Either, one, hold it, or two, use it, and I’m sure that this is meaning to use it. And I know exactly how to.

I entered his text messages and clicked on Kyung’s name as it revealed the messages that they had just passed to each other. I seated myself in the passenger’s side of Zico’s car before settling myself down and actually reading the conversation.

I frowned upon reading the first few texts. I knew something was wrong. Kyung doesn’t just text anyone to go away and forget about the world. In fact, whoever does do that? Not Kyung, for sure.

But now, I know why he had texted that. I glanced over at Zico who got the car starting right away before leaving my driveway. His expression wasn’t so pleasant either.

I sighed inwardly before turning back to his phone, reading the remaining texts.

 

 

“And you still don’t hate her?” I heard Zico mutter under his breath. I still heard it though and I knew that he was directing the question towards me.

In this situation, I could only swallow and stay silent, because I knew Zico was beyond mad and this time, he had a direct and legit reason to be.

No one, not even me, wants someone as precious to us as Mrs. Park, to leave us, and for some weird reason, I had a feeling that Zico rather have her lose to cancer than let her leave with Songhye.

 


 

Author's Note♥:

Yay! I got a chance to update! I know, some of you guys must be wondering where Luhan is in this chapter, but hey, I want to give some parts to our lovely Block B leader too. I'm still not over the AWESOME fact that Block B is back! Haha!

As for the text above between Kyung & Zico, I just decided to add another of those in it for you guys, just so some of you can actually feel the conversation. I'm not sure if you guys like those text messages or not, but I'm planning to use them for the future, so if you guys don't like it, voice out now so I can refrain from using them! Of course, the conversations won't be this long though. It will just be little bits of the text convos. If it's going to be as long as this one, I will inform you guys first hand! :)

I hoped you guys enjoyed this chapter? & Don't worry, Luhan lovers~ He will definitely be in the net chapter ;)

I was planning to make this chapter a more laid back chapter, but I was listening to a more solemn song and that brought the mood of the chapter down so... it was my fault for listening to that particular song. Yes, songs actually do affect me and what I write. Haha. I was listening to M4M's song, 'When You Leave Me', if you guys are wondering. I recommend that song & group though. They're pretty talented & I love their songs, even Athough their songs are Chinese songs :)

As for the "Movie's Over" Ringtone!!! Don't you guys like it? :3

I honestly think it's cute when I thought of it, so I thought, why not put it here for the heck of it? I'm thinking of giving Soyoung a ringtone now too. What do you think? ;)

Don't forget to COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE & OR UPVOTE on your own will. I'd very appreciate it though ;D

 

 

Thanks For Subscribing∞:

Thanks to these BEAUTIFUL people who subscribed to 'JUST Common Sense'!

| roxxanne | carpediiem | unrequited-lover | kkatherina | kmarieily | reina-k-D_O | CITYOFJOANNE | KittyC | MsAwesomeTokki | pandamaomao | venasan | Imjustagirlnextdoor | htethnin | Lunew21 | iambrielleiant | Alicevandort | blueisland101 | xkimchi | asian_ninja712 | pandalolove | saranghaexo88 | Lynnda | Chubbiee | avisdawn | Jiyeon_JN | -Anita | Micha0524 | isabelleloveluhan | KPOPCHICKKAA | snadya | xSungYoung | ChaCha24 | 2pmfan4ever | rheesmiles | asdfjkl_unknown | absadeeheng | i-am-serene | hungryPie | kawailu | rainbow_bananas | AkaruiHoshi | liralyre | SMfan4evrAKB48 | Hellogec4 | Clou9Nine | dreamandshine | KaeJae | Yue97BAL | jungseungyeon | pretty_pamela | Putri02 |akpopfan | jain127 | jujube1908 | laceyblare | Cold-TowardsYou | Natalie_phuah96 | fangirl2000   | ExoticBabyArmy | kimminjung112 | chineseandkoreanboys | dbsk_cassie | oranghead | jia_loveluv | minhyuk-baegopa |