Chapter 24

JUST Common Sense

 

No One's POV

It’s been a week since the day of Yun Yi & Mei Lien’s farewell party as well as Kyung’s ‘Hello’ party. The two Chinese female were sent back to China safely as the EXO boys bid goodbye to them.

The big day was finally only 8 hours away. The first day of college for Soyoung, Zico, and Kyung.

Of course, Soyoung was nervous. She was nervous to the core. She wouldn’t have to get up as early as she had to when she was in high school, but the situation was quite different now. College was different from high school and Soyoung wasn’t sure if she was ready yet. In fact, on this very night, Soyoung knew she wasn’t ready. Lying on her bed trying to get the most sleep while she can, Soyoung could do nothing but sigh from frustration.

She already knows that she won’t be getting any sleep anytime soon.

*HMPH! Mind, why won’t you just shut down already so I can get some sleep? I’m trying to get some rest so you can be all good tomorrow for the first day of college! I’m doing this for our sake!* Sighing for the umpteenth time that night, she rolled onto her stomach before giving a pout. “I’m going be a zombie by the time my alarm rings for the first day,” she muttered to herself.

Giving up on the fact that she won’t be able to get the amount of sleep she wants, Soyoung got out of bed. “I’m going to go crazy before I even get to see my first day of College.”

After a sweet stretch, she headed out to the balcony. Since the night when Luhan and she had fixed their problems, Soyoung often came out at night to see the sky. Even though the stars weren’t that bright due to living in the city, Soyoung enjoyed it. It was bright enough for her to see and it really was relaxing.

“At a time like this, I would’ve thought that you’re asleep by now,” a familiar voice from below spoke, surprising Soyoung.

In alarm, she looked down to the empty street to only become curious. “Luhan? What are you doing down there?”

“Same thing as you’re doing,” he replied. “I couldn’t sleep.”

She overlooked him with suspicion before realization hit her. “Don’t tell me; are you nervous of college too?”

Luhan wanted to laugh. He wanted to, but refrained from doing so. Instead, he gave an unsure scoff. “Nervous my ,” he denied. “There’s no reason to be nervous. I just couldn’t sleep.”

But of course, being in the same situation as him, Soyoung could see right through his lie. Instead, she laughed at him. “It’s okay to admit that you’re as nervous as me, Luhan. There’s no need to hide it, just because you want to keep your pride.”

Luhan rolled his eyes, “Like I said, I’m not nervous, okay?” He sighed and looked away awkwardly. Truth be told, he was nervous. This would be his first time to attend education in Seoul since the age of 8. He wasn’t sure how he was supposed to feel about this.

“Sure,” she teased, but didn’t push any further. A guy’s got to keep their pride, Soyoung concluded. “But why are you down there on the street? You’ve got a balcony that exposes you out to the world already.”

He gave her a flat look. “It’s totally because I want to expose myself.”

Soyoung stifled in a laugh upon hearing the sarcasm in his voice. “That’s nice to know,” she muttered with a grin. “Say, how are you feeling about tomorrow?”

“The natural feeling.” He gave a slight shrug and sat down in the middle of the street, his knees propped up and his arms resting on them. “Are you just going to keep shouting from up there? By the time you’re done, the whole neighborhood’s going to be awake.”

Soyoung was taken aback by his last words. *Is this an invitation?* She wasn’t sure if he had meant for her to go down there with him or to return to her room. “Let them wake up then.”

Luhan looked up at her with an ‘are-you-kidding’ look before snickering. “Might as well come down here to talk to me. Don’t you know how much people work their butts off all day long only to get so many hours of sleep? Are you really going to disturb them?”

As stunned as she was from his response, she did feel quite bad for thinking that. Of course she knew. Soyoung knew, but due to the nervousness she had in her, she wasn’t able to think correctly.

Seeing that she was still pondering to herself, Luhan gazed up to the sky. The stars sure knew how to calm him, but he still couldn’t shake off the nervous feeling he had. He would never admit it to anyone, but to himself, he knew exactly what the word ‘nervous’ portrayed. He was nervous. Of course, he had already memorized the school, but he didn’t know where his classes were. They haven’t gotten their schedule yet and were to get it on the first day by the front desk. His only worries were his classes. What will his classes be? He knew for a fact that his classes won’t be what he had in mind and that was what he was nervous about.

As he thought to himself, a presence made itself known by seating themselves next to him, pulling Luhan out of his thoughts.

“You really came down,” he mused, letting out a trifling laugh.

“I don’t want to wake up the neighborhood and I can’t sleep,” she tried making an excuse. Soyoung wouldn’t want to tell him that she wanted someone to talk to. “So might as well join you here.”

Luhan shrugged. “Suit yourself then.”

They both shared a moment of silence. The silence that they shared wasn’t uncomfortable though. It was actually more comforting than their rooms. Being here under a beautifully lit night sky filled with bright stars that lingered over them.

“What classes are you taking?” Soyoung suddenly wondered. She never really knew what he was interested in. She never asked nor was she ever told. Now, thinking about it, she became curious.

“It’s similar to your major,” Luhan hinted, “But it’s different.”

Soyoung took a minute to think about it but was puzzled. “I’m majoring in visual art. Are you sure it’s similar to my major?”

“Definitely.” Luhan couldn’t help but grin. Was she really this clueless?

Soyoung thought long and hard. Nothing came into mind. Nothing. *What is it that he’s majoring in? Maybe a specific type of visual art? Perhaps, painting? Mei Lien really likes to paint. Maybe she came to like it because of Luhan.*

Luhan rolled his eyes. How could she not have guessed it yet? “I’m majoring in music.” The tone in his voice clearly showed that he was quite annoyed by how clueless she could be.

“Oh…” Now she felt dumb. Of course she should. Zico and Kyung were to major in that subject too. Why didn’t she think of that? She cleared . “So, are any of your friends majoring in music to?”

“You can say we’re all more of the art type of people,” Luhan clarified. “Many of us are majoring in music and some are majoring in visual art like you too.”

“Is there a specific to music?”

Luhan nodded. “Of course. There’s singing, dancing, composing, producing. There’s a lot, actually.”

“Which field of music are you best at?” Now, she was just shooting questions at him. Soyoung knew that they weren’t close at all, but if they were to go to the same college, might as well get to know each other to some extent. They’re both majoring in some type of art, so they’ll be in the same section of the building. There might be a chance of even seeing him throughout the day.

“Singing and dancing,” Luhan answered honestly. “But I’m taking composing and producing class also because I want to produce my own music as well. Yixing does it very well and his compositions are amazing. If I can become as good as him, I’ll shine even brighter.”

Soyoung glanced at him, a though coming across her mind. “Do you… want to become a star?” The way he had explained himself made him sound so… proud, as if another light was shining down onto him.

A fragile smile came onto his face and he reverently shook his head. Confusion sprinkled itself upon Soyoung. She could’ve sworn she saw the twinkle in his eyes. *Whatever.* She quickly shrug off the thought.

“Well then, good luck on your first day tomorrow,” she wished, getting up. The situation, she found, had become quite awkward for her.

“You too,” Luhan replied back, not even looking over at her. “You’re gonna need it.”

*I know, I do. I don’t even know the place well.* She nodded. “Good– … Good night, Luhan.”

Without a mere answer from Luhan, Soyoung made her way inside, closing the door shut. Luhan glanced at her house and see the lights in her room flicker on. Within a minute or two, the lights were closed again and a smile came upon his face.

*Good night, Soyoung.

 

 

 

 

“You and dad did what?!” Soyoung shrieked upon hearing the dismaying news.

First day of college had just ended and right away, Soyoung came home to question her parents. It wasn’t fair and it doesn’t make any sense.

You’re wondering about what was she talking about?

Well, it first started out with Soyoung getting her up from bed to actually preparing for her first day. Like high school times, Kyung and Zico were waiting for her downstairs and they all left for the university together. Like expected, there was a huge amount of people getting their schedules and some of those people just happens to be everyone else who decided to start their college year the very same day.

Any who, after waiting for about an hour, the three finally got their schedules and to Soyoung’s dismay, her schedule was hectic. More like, messed up.

Classes she never signed up for were on her schedule. In fact, none of the classes she signed up for were on her schedule. Of course, Soyoung had to complain about it. She never signed up for such classes and she even paid for her classes. How could they give her a schedule like it? It wasn’t high school anymore, but college.

She was quite confused so Zico suggested she speak to the main office of the college and she took his advice. Much to her disappointment, she wouldn’t be allowed to change her classes for that day and they suggested that she stick with the schedule for at least a week due to so much work the college itself has going on. Only then did she find out about the reason why her schedule was as such.

“Honey, calm down,” her moms soothed, although showing zero care in the topic as she knew it’d come up today. “We just felt that maybe you’d be able to fit the category well.”

“Mom, what are you talking about?!” Soyoung couldn’t keep calm. She was freaking out. She felt the need to. “Both you and dad knew about my love for visual art since I was young and you were both okay with it. Why now, of all times? Seriously? You guys know how much I in Music.”

Her mom sighed and looked at her daughter. “Soyoung, you don’t at music. You’re just not letting yourself open up to it.”

“I don’t even want anything to do music,” Soyoung complained. “None of these classes fits me and I absolutely do not want a single thing to do with them. Seriously, singing? Composing? Producing music? Dancing?! Mom, are you out of your mind. Must I remind you about how bad I am at dancing?!”

The mini memory came upon the elder’s head and a laughed suppressed the room. “Come on, honey. That was hilarious!” Soyoung’s mom laughed, referring back to 11 years ago when Soyoung was still just 7 years old and she took her ballet class.

Soyoung rolled her eyes. “Mom, the point here is that I have no interest or whatsoever in music. Why would you and dad change my classes?”

“Oh come on,” her mother surged, “You’ll have a great time in those classes. Don’t you have handsome men in your classes?”

Soyoung was about to reply immediately but stopped shortly, thinking back to her classes. Okay, so maybe she does—no, she really does have handsome men in her classes, but that wasn’t the point. “Mom, I could care less about those handsome and cute guys. I want my chosen classes back.”

“Oh, honey, relax a bit, won’t you?” Her mom smiled. “Just give it a try. How about one semester? Your father and I have really talked about this and we want you to try this out.”

“What do you mean you really talked about this?” Soyoung slumped her shoulders. “I’ve been into visual art since forever and you talk about music now? Is it just me or do I smell something fishy here?”

“Honey,” her mom patted her back. “Just one semester. Try these classes out, won’t you? If you really don’t like it after one semester, then you are free to go back to your desired classes, okay? Plus, I want to have a handsome son-in-law, so why don’t you use that one semester to find one for me?”

Soyoung’s eyes widen upon hearing her mother’s words. “Mom!” The slight blush came upon her face and for that moment, she felt embarrassed.

“Kidding!” Her mother laughed before getting up. “Just one semester, what do you say?”

Finally giving up, knowing that her parents won’t be changing their minds anytime soon, Soyoung gave in with a slight glare and a loud sigh. “Fine. But only one semester only. And you better be grateful because one semester is a freaking long time.”

Without another word from her mother, Soyoung huffed up the stairs and into her room. Obviously, she wasn’t satisfied with her schedule. In fact, her college life.

She had never imagined a turn like this.

 

 

 

He cursed silently in his mind. He knew it. He knew this was coming for him and he knew he wasn’t the only one going through this. He walked into the house and ignored the eyes of his mother and father who looked at him intently as he made his way upstairs.

Before he made it halfway up, he heard his father ask the question he knew they were going to ask.

“How was your first day?”

Luhan stopped abruptly and turned to face them. He tried to stay calm and be patient. He had no reason to be mad when he knew this was coming. “I think you both know very well that I hated it.”

His father’s brows rose intently. “Oh, do you now?”

Luhan rolled his eyes. “I’d appreciate it if you don’t act like you don’t know what you did.”

His mother stood there by his father’s side with a huge smile. Obviously the mother was feeling giddy about the situation.

“So you caught on?” His father asked, trying to act casual as he sat down and faced the TV that was playing some random drama.

Luhan finally let out a loud sigh. He wanted to shout and he wanted to let all the stress out from his body. But he didn’t. “I’m not that stupid, but seriously, you guys would go through that much to get me and Soyoung closer together?”

“Well, that wasn’t the whole point,” his mother tried to change his perspective. “You know, you could improve your drawing skills too if you take those classes.”

Luhan’s jaw tightened and he swore a million times in his head that if he ever improve his drawing skills by taking such classes, he’ll kneel down in front of Kris, the worst drawer in his mini circle of friends. “I certainly am not entertained by this change nor do I look forward to improving my drawing skills.”

“You knew this was coming,” his father stated the obvious, “And that’s why you’re not making such a big deal out of it.”

Luhan sighed, knowing his father was right. “I knew you guys had something planned, but I didn’t know what it was, so I tried preparing myself for it, but this is … pure annoying. I’ll go through with this schedule for one semester. But just one semester. In return, I want you guys to not interfere with my dreams, mom and dad.”

“One semester?” His father looked over at him with a proud grin. “Your mother and I only had three weeks in mind, but if—“

Luhan’s mother’s hand slapped over his father’s mouth as she nodded her head quickly. “Okay, okay! One semester it is!”

Luhan rolled his eyes. For having such immature parents, he wasn’t sure if he should be glad that they’re not so strict on him when it came to his dreams, or should he be embarrassed to have such immature parents. He shook his head in annoyance and made his way up to his room.

One semester of Visual art. Just one semester.

*Luhan, you can do this!* he reminded himself clearly in his head. “I can endure one semester. I can do this.”

 


 

Author's Note♥:

I know, I didn't update again. I'm sorry. I know that apologizing in this instance is a bit over rated, but I truly am sorry. I always try my best to update. I'm not lying when I boast that I do try my best to update. Here's an update for you guys. I know it's not the best chapter, but I hope you guys enjoy it. By the way, I decided to add Sound Cloud music function because I know that some of you guys like to listen to music when reading to feel a certain mood refraining from the words itself. If you guys don't like the feature, do tell me so I won't add Sound Cloud playlist anymore :)

Again, I know the story may be boring because it's going pretty slow, but again, I'm doing my best to pace things up in a mannerly way :)

Don't forget to COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE & OR UPVOTE on your own will. I'd very appreciate it though ;D

 

 

Thanks For Subscribing∞:

Thanks to these BEAUTIFUL people who subscribed to 'JUST Common Sense'!

| roxxanne | carpediiem | unrequited-lover | kkatherina | kmarieily | reina-k-D_O | CITYOFJOANNE | KittyC | MsAwesomeTokki | pandamaomao | venasan | Imjustagirlnextdoor | htethnin | Lunew21 | iambrielleiant | Alicevandort | blueisland101 | xkimchi | asian_ninja712 | BlingBlingTiger | pandalolove | saranghaexo88 | Lynnda | Chubbiee | avisdawn | Jiyeon_JN | -Anita | Micha0524 | isabelleloveluhan | KPOPCHICKKAA | snadya | xSungYoung | ChaCha24 | 2pmfan4ever | rheesmiles | asdfjkl_unknown | absadeeheng | i-am-serene | hungryPie | kawailu | rainbow_bananas | AkaruiHoshi | liralyre | SMfan4evrAKB48 | Hellogec4 | Clou9Nine | dreamandshine | KaeJae | Yue97BAL | jungseungyeon | pretty_pamela | Putri02 |akpopfan | jain127 | jujube1908 | laceyblare | Cold-TowardsYou | Natalie_phuah96 | fangirl2000   | ExoticBabyArmy | kimminjung112 | chineseandkoreanboys | dbsk_cassie | oranghead | jia_loveluv | minhyuk-baegopa | PressPlay |jasminejane | krisgangsta | berry1207  |Chocolithugs| yukiandini | leehyunae_pearl |I-Love-EXO | bacon9 | hanxing | itzailee | Tokkichu | LilRosiie | pupamika | Kpopsizzle | BBgirly | TheRedEyedWolf | xingxingbaekhyeonnie | cutielove1108 | lolydev | Heyinpiniteu | ronnieee | blueskyy |