Chapter 25

JUST Common Sense

No One’s POV

 Of course, the first month was hell for Luhan and Soyoung. The two haven’t talked since the night before the first day of class. None of them thought much about it.

Assignments that were given out were always so confusing and they always had to try at it. They were only lucky for every assignment, getting a B or C on them. Of course, they always took it out on their parents. Hence, if it hadn’t been for the adults, they’d be in their desired classes already.

As much as they were lucky for that one month, their luck was going to take a full 180 degree turn because things won’t be like what they’d thought it’d be.

“I don’t want to do this, but it was asked that the Arts major section do a big project for our upcoming showcase,” the professor announced.

Everyone turned their attention towards the professor immediately.

“Whether this project will be easy or not, it’s up to you all to decide,” she continued. “Because we’re in the Music department of Arts, we will be doing music related projects for the showcase. We'll be the department that the showcase focuses on the most, so beware of your behaviour for this showcase.”

Voices of excitement filled the room as huge grins were shown everywhere around the room.

BUT,” the professor silenced them, “Not everyone is going to be performing.”

Confusion came across every students’ face.

“Only the chosen people will be performing, so choose wisely of what you want to perform,” she continued on. “Everyone will have to prepare something and show it to the class. It will count as a grade and an assignment, so don’t think that you can show the class an ugly performance just so that you don’t have to perform on stage. You must take this seriously. Even if your performance for the class isn’t chosen to be performed on the Showcase’s night, it won't mean that all your effort is put to waste. If you do well in performing for the class, you may get an opportunity to perform for the Showcase. If you don't get that opportunity, you will get agood grade on that performance. You will get something out of it either ways if you do well. Please take this seriously and think hard about it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask any instructors. Oh, and the Showcase Night is on December  1st. You must show the class your performance by the 10th of October.For those of you who don't know the reason why the two dates are a month apart, I will explain now, so listen well. We need to know the performers way ahead of time, so we can let them know. Afterwards, the chosen performers will need to practice well for the showcase, thus the reason for having the lengthy wait. We need our Showcase performers to represent our University well, so the practice needed is important. Now back to the point, you all need to perform for the group, at least. If not, you’re automatically off the list for performing for the Showcase and you will be given the grade of an F for it. Class dismiss.”

The room became alive at once when the professor dismissed the class. Students packed up their belongings and left the room, only leaving Soyoung behind as she was still packing up her things. She was as slow as a turtle doing the process, but she didn’t care. Why should she care? Her next class doesn’t start till an hour after.

She heaved a sigh and slowly exited the room.

*Performing? For the class? Great. Just great, because I just have that much talent, you know.* Soyoung wasn’t pleased about the news that she had just heard from the professor. She hated it, in fact. For one, she would have to perform well in front of class just to get a good grade. Two, she doesn’t have that type of talent. For what is she going to perform anyways? Singing? Dancing? New song composition? *How do you even perform a new song composition?!*

She sighed one last time before passing through the door only to find someone waiting for her.

“Baekhyun?” She muttered as the said male looked up from his phone and a great grin found itself to his face.

Baekhyun was one of Luhan’s friend, Soyoung knew this and of course, she remembered. Heck, she even had the previous class with him, but the two barely spoke to one another. It wasn’t that they didn’t want to. They just don’t have much to say and plus, Baekhyun was always bombarded with people in that class.

“Soyoung!” he exclaimed as he put the device into his pocket. “You finally came out.”

She raised her brows. “You were waiting for me?”   

“No other,” Baekhyun gave a cheeky grin.

“Why?” she questioned. This was a first. Baekhyun had never waited for Soyoung before. Soyoung was almost always last to leave the room and no one ever did wait for her in which she didn’t mind.

“Can’t I just wait for a friend?” he grinned sheepishly.

Suspicion grew upon Soyoung as she eyed the latter. *Friend…?*

“Um, I suppose,” she muttered as she continued onward with Baekhyun beside her.

“So, what class do you have next?” he asked, trying to start a conversation with her.

“Dancing,” she pursed her lips. She despise that class a lot. She was never a good dancer and even though she was getting better with lots of help, she always felt uncomfortable in there. Having to be the only person in there who couldn’t dance right was just uncomfortable.

“I see. So how’s that class?”

“It’s okay, I guess,” she replied, wondering why the latter was so intimate. She stopped walking and looked at Baekhyun. “Don’t you… Don’t you have class you need to attend?”

He shrugged. “I do, but the class doesn’t start till 30 minutes after so I have some free time to spare. I’m guessing you have a free hour right now too?”

She nodded slowly before sighing. *Why does he keep following me?*

“Want to spend some time together then?” Baekhyun asked. “Since, you know, we both have enough time before our next class starts.”

“Sure,” she replied hesitantly. It wasn’t that she was uncomfortable with Baekhyun. She really wasn’t, but it was just a bit weird, nonetheless awkward. Why, of all days, does he ask her today to spend time together? It just doesn’t make any sense.

Baekhyun could see the confusion on her face and let out a hearty laugh. “If it makes you feel any better, today isn’t my first day waiting for you after class.”

“It’s not?” she voiced her thoughts. “But—“

“You just never see me when I wait for you because I stand too far away from the door,” he explained. “But today I stood next to the door waiting. I made a change today.”

“Oh…” Now she felt slightly bad. How many times have he waited for her anyways and for what reason would he wait for her?

“Luhan told us about your schedule change, that you were supposed to be majoring in visual art,” Baekhyun told her.

“Yeah, I was supposed to—“ Soyoung realized what Baekhyun had just said and stopped talking abruptly. Suspicion crossed her face. “How does Luhan know?”

Baekhyun shrugged, “Because he’s majoring in Visual art and not music. He said something about the parents.”

Realization struck Soyoung. *So it wasn’t just my parents! His parents did the same thing to him! But why?* For once, this whole month, Soyoung felt relieved. She wasn’t the only one going through the same thing. She wasn’t the only going through the whole schedule change.

For once this whole month, Soyoung felt relieved.

 

 

 

 Luhan cursed a trillion of times in his mind. *Damn! Damn! Damn!*

His professor had just let them on the news about the showcase and Luhan was not happy with the news. He didn’t want to fail any of his classes even though he despise of visual art. How was he to paint a descriptive painting when he can’t even paint or draw for ?

He sat on the bench and hunched forward, putting his face into his hands.

“Luhan?” a familiar feminine voice spoke from behind him.

Luhan sat up and looked behind him. His troubled expression relaxed upon seeing the female.

“It is you,” she smiled before walking forward and seated herself next to him.

Luhan sighed and looked forward. “Aren’t you having a hard time in your classes or are you good at music too?”

“Nope, I at music,” Soyoung replied honestly.

After thirty minutes of spending time with Baekhyun, he left for his next class. As for Soyoung, she had another thirty minutes to wait for her class and luckily, she found Luhan here, which was quite unexpected. The two haven’t seen each other since forever and they even live across from each other.

She frowned. “Why would our parents change our schedule like that? It just doesn’t make any sense.”

“Didn’t I tell you already? Our parents want us to become closer,” he replied, annoyed. When he was tired, stressed, or even troubled, Luhan was one to easily get shot off.

“But how? They totally changed our schedule. We don’t even have any classes with each other!” she exclaimed. Like Luhan, Soyoung felt annoyed, but of course, not because of Luhan himself, but the situation instead.

“Haven’t you heard about the stupid Art showcase?” Luhan asked. “That was one of the opportunity they wanted us to have.”

Now, Soyoung was just clueless about where he was getting at. How does the Art Showcase have anything to do with this.

Seeing that she didn’t understand what he was trying to comprehend, Luhan rolled his eyes. “I at Visual Art. You at Music, yet we’ll both need to work hard to get a good grade for our classes. Since you’re good at Visual Art, I can come to you for help. Since I’m good at Music, you can come to me for help. We’re going to need each other to survive this semester. That’s what the parents are trying to do thus the reason why they had us change our schedules.”

Soyoung shaped to an ‘O’ shape as she finally caught onto what Luhan meant.

*Wow. They’re smarter than I thought.* Soyoung had to give credit to the adults. Even she would never think of that.

“What’s the criteria for your classes?” Soyoung wondered.

“We have to create a descriptive painting and displaying it on the night of the Showcase,” he replied as Soyoung’s eyes sparkled.

“Really?!” She exclaimed. “What! That’s not fair! That’s so easy and fun to do!”

Luhan scoffed. *Did you already forget that you’re the one good at painting, not me? Dummy.* “I’m guessing you guys are performing?”

Soyoung nodded. That was an obvious giveaway.

Luhan stayed quiet for a minute or two before pursing his lips. “Soyoung?”

Soyoung humbled a ‘what’ in reply.

“You’re house, or mines?” Luhan questioned, causing Soyoung to whip her head to look at him. He sighed and looked her in the eyes. “I’m gonna have to surrender to the parents on this one, so are you going to help me with that painting or not?”

A bright light emitted in Soyoung’s chest upon hearing him.

*Is he serious about this?!* Although she was shocked to hear him say that, she couldn’t help but feel giddy. She smiled. “I’ll help.”

 

 

 

Luhan’s POV

I don’t know what led me to asking her that. I’m not sure what led me to wanting help from her for a stupid painting. Maybe it’s the fact that I want to satisfy my parents and do something for them. Maybe it’s the fact that I really do need help on the painting.

Whatever the painting was to be, all I do know right now is that Soyoung will be over any minute now and I don’t even know what I need in order to paint that stupid descriptive painting of mines.

After several minutes, I heard the doorbell ring and I knew that my mom has invited her inside, telling her that I’m in my room. I sighed quietly.

I’m not quite sure what to call this feeling. Nervous. Yeah, that’s what they call it. I’ve never had a girl over at my place before, specifically in my room. I only have the right to be nervous, but of course, I won’t show it when she comes in.

Before I knew it, the knock to my door came and I opened it. Standing there with an awkward smile, Soyoung waved at me. I knew she was nervous too, but for what reason? It’s not like she hasn’t been to a guy’s place before. I’m sure she went to her friend’s place more than once. I opened it wider, inviting her to come in.

Understanding my actions, she came in. That was when I noticed the materials in her hands and a leather case swung over her shoulder that looked rather heavy. That was when it hit me hard.

*She prepared painting materials for me.* She quickly settled the materials in the middle of my room, not that I minded. As long as it wasn’t on my bed.

“So, do you know what you’re gonna paint?” she asked me as she prepared my painting space. She ped the leather case and out she took a painting stand, unfolding it and made sure it was stable.

I didn’t know painting stands had a case.

“Nope,” I replied honestly. How am I supposed to paint when I don’t even know what I want my painting to portray? Plus, I don’t even have the right materials to paint…

I could see her frown slightly. I wasn’t sure it’s because I have no idea what I want to paint yet, or the fact that she brought a whole bunch of her materials over when I don’t know what I want to paint… No, let’s just say it’s because she feels bad for me for not knowing what I want to paint. I’ll consider her pity towards me as a nice thing. Yeah.

“Haven’t you even thought about it?” she asked as she laid things out for me. I wasn’t sure if I should help or not, but considering the fact that I don’t even know what to do, I just watched her do it for me.

“All day long,” I admitted the truth, because I really did think about it non-stop.

She stopped in her tracks and looked up at me. “Do you even know what a descriptive painting is?”

I was about to answer, when a mental force stopped me. Now that I think about it, I hadn’t really thought about what it is. I only thought about different kinds of paintings it is. Isn’t it just a painting that portrays something with a deeper meaning?

Soyoung sighed heavily before getting up. “Okay, let’s say you don’t know what it is. What have you been thinking about all day then?”

“What I should paint,” I answered. I found it quite funny, really. She seems to be so annoyed right now. Just wait till we get to music.

Heh.

She won’t be the only one annoyed then.

“And nothing came up?” her voice sounded as if she was concerned, but I dismissed it. It wasn’t like the painting was due tomorrow or in two days. I practically have a whole week left. There’s no need to panic right now.

“Nothing,” I admitted. “You help me think of something.”

She gave me a glare before sighing once again. “Well, I don’t know what you want to show through your painting, so how am I supposed to help you?”

“How about you list ideas? Maybe then, I might get an idea,” I replied with that conceited tone. I’m not conceited. I’m just suggesting ideas, okay?

“Hm…” I never thought that she’d take my words seriously, but seeing her now, it seems like she took it for real. “Well, what do you enjoy doing?”

“Music,” I replied flatly.

“Okay, so how are you going to show that in your painting?” she questioned me.

“Add music notes?” I answered with an unsure answer. Isn’t that how you portray music? I only get in return, her eye rolling. Sheesh. It’s not like it was my choice to take Visual Art.

I can’t wait for Music time.

“Must I remind you that it has to be an abstract idea?” she told me.

“Yes,” I rolled my eyes this time. “Because I just happened to major in Visual Art and know everything about it, you know?”

I knew I had hit a spot when I saw her shrink in size. Not literally of course. It’s just like those moments when you say something to someone and they realize you’re right and they somehow feel guilty for saying whatever they had said before.

“Okay, let’s say you want to portray your love for music,” Soyoung continued, not wanting to think about what I had said to her. “What colors do you think would fit best for a music theme?”

I shrugged. “What do you think?”

Soyoung glared at me. “I’m not going to do this for you, Luhan.”

“I never told you to,” I muttered with a sigh following suit. “Look, I really don’t know anything about this whole descriptive painting thing, so if you’d give me some space to breathe, I’d really appreciate that. Plus, stop pushing it onto me as if it’s so easy. I grew up with education and music. Not painting and drawing. It may be easy for you, but unlike you, it’s complicated for me.”

“Well then what have you been doing in your classes since the first day?” she questioned me, not finding any effect in my words. “You must’ve learned something, right?”

“Of course,” I gave a cheeky grin. “I learned that Visual Art really isn’t included in my path of life.”

“You know what? Never mind,” she rolled her eyes, again. “Forget that I even asked. I guess I have no other choice but do it for you.”

A sly grin came upon my face. “Exactly what I’ve been waiting to hear.”

She shot me a look, but before she could say anything about changing her mind, I continued.

“You just need to finish your portion for me. I’ve already done yours.”

I could see the confusion that struck her. A smirk came upon me as I walked over to my studio room door before pulling it open. I could literally feel her eyes widen behind me as I walked into my mini studio room. She followed suit quietly after me. I walked over to the music mixing board and lifted my hand, my finger lingering over the play button. I glanced over at her with a tight grin.

“Ready?” I asked her.

“Huh?” she blinked at me, not sure of what I meant.

I laughed subtly. “Are you ready to hear your song?”

“My song?” she asked once again in which I nodded. She was still as confused as ever but nodded slowly.

I smiled. *She’s going to love it. I just know it.* I put force onto the play button and immediately, beautiful music started to play.

[I'm not sure if Luhan composes or produces, but let's just say that this is what he produced to give a visual & feel :)]

I looked over at Soyoung to see her expression and just like how I imagined, was agape. She’s liking it. I’m proud then.

Yet, I grew more nervous as I saw a smile spreading across her face. I know she likes it. She probably even loves it, so why am I suddenly nervous? I shouldn’t be.

“It’s beautiful,” she let out a beautiful whisper.

*I figured.* I thought. My creations are always so nice.

She turned to me as her eyes were filled with sparks. “You… produced this?”

I nodded. “This is yours.”

“Mines?” I could tell she was still confused.

“I got home… and I felt like doing this. I figured you’d probably know nothing about music, so I decided to produce this, just in case it's needed. I know it’s not all too good yet, because I was just messing around at first, but I’m sure many others will like it. And since, you know, you mentioned that you’ll do the painting for me, I decided to show you this.”

“So… you sorta planned ahead?”

Sort of,” I grinned. “It’s for you though. I never thought about taking credit for it even though I produced it. Use it for the performance. Plus, don’t feel burdened by it or anything. I only produced the music. You’re gonna have to come up with lyrics yourself.”

Her smiled faltered as she seemed troubled once again. I chuckled lightly.

“I’ll help you on the lyrics part. In return, you can do the painting for me while I suggest to you what I want on my painting, deal?” I asked her.

Immediately, she nodded.

I didn’t think she’d give in that easily, but I guess it sure does tell me that she meant it when she said she at music.

Oh well, whatever. For the first time, I felt glad to have done something to make her feel relieved.

To be honest, since the Mei Lien accident, I’ve always felt something for Soyoung. Admiration? Yeah. Respect? Of course. Responsible? … I’d argue that, but if I have to face the truth, yes.

I know, it’s a weird thing for me to feel responsible for Soyoung, but I just do. It’s weird. It’s awkward, but it’s just one of those feelings. Plus, I know I owe her. I always feel like I need to do something for her for risking her life.

This is one of them.

I’m proud of what I did.

I’m proud that I made her smile.

I’m proud that I’ve righted her for once.

*Kim Soyoung, please stay happy like this.*

Only then will I be proud of myself.

 


 

Author's Note♥:

I've updated. I was planning to yesterday, but it was late so I couldn't. I updated today instead because I owe it for you guys & plus, I've reached 90 Subbies! Thank you so much guys! I love you guys!

Don't forget to COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE & OR UPVOTE on your own will. I'd very appreciate it though ;D

 

 

Thanks For Subscribing∞:

Thanks to these BEAUTIFUL people who subscribed to 'JUST Common Sense'!

| roxxanne | carpediiem | unrequited-lover | kkatherina | kmarieily | reina-k-D_O | CITYOFJOANNE | KittyC | MsAwesomeTokki | pandamaomao | venasan | Imjustagirlnextdoor | htethnin | Lunew21 | iambrielleiant | Alicevandort | blueisland101 | xkimchi | asian_ninja712 | BlingBlingTiger | pandalolove | saranghaexo88 | Lynnda | Chubbiee | avisdawn | Jiyeon_JN | -Anita | Micha0524 | isabelleloveluhan | KPOPCHICKKAA | snadya | xSungYoung | ChaCha24 | 2pmfan4ever | rheesmiles | asdfjkl_unknown | absadeeheng | i-am-serene | hungryPie | kawailu | rainbow_bananas | AkaruiHoshi | liralyre | SMfan4evrAKB48 | Hellogec4 | Clou9Nine | dreamandshine | KaeJae | Yue97BAL | jungseungyeon | pretty_pamela | Putri02 |akpopfan | jain127 | jujube1908 | laceyblare | Cold-TowardsYou | Natalie_phuah96 | fangirl2000   | ExoticBabyArmy | kimminjung112 | chineseandkoreanboys | dbsk_cassie | oranghead | jia_loveluv | minhyuk-baegopa | PressPlay |jasminejane | krisgangsta | berry1207  |Chocolithugs| yukiandini | leehyunae_pearl |I-Love-EXO | bacon9 | hanxing | itzailee | Tokkichu | LilRosiie | pupamika | Kpopsizzle | BBgirly | TheRedEyedWolf | xingxingbaekhyeonnie | cutielove1108 | lolydev | Heyinpiniteu | ronnieee | blueskyy | Cakepopsareawesome12 | infinitybaby | LoveKpopBoyBand |