Crimes of Passion

Series of One shots

Italics is a flashback 

 


 

A young boy sits on the plush white sheets and stares from the gun in his hand to the figure on the ground. He watches the blood paint the once cream carpet a cherry color.
Boy: “*holding his head* I didn’t mean to. *shakes his head* I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.”
Just as the boy is on the brink of a nervous breakdown, the door is broken down. A team of police officers pour into the room, followed by a coroner.
Officer 1: “*gun trained on the boy* Drop your weapon and put your hands behind your head.”
The boy does as he’s told and is quickly handcuffed. He is sat on the floor up against the bed.  Tears stream down his cheeks as he repeats his apology like a mantra. The arresting officer stoops down to the boy’s level and lifts his head up so their eyes meet.
Officer: “What’s your name?”
Boy: “*hiccupping* I-I didn’t m-mean t-to. I-I didn’t m-mean t-to.”
Just as the officer is about to ask the young boy what he meant by that, a female voice dripping with confidence and authority echoes in the room.
You: “Get him off the floor. Don’t you see it is covered in blood? Is there your first time in the field?”
The officers scramble to place the boy in a chair. The arresting officer moves to stand beside you and explain the situation.
Officer: “*staring straight ahead* We received a call from this hotel room about thirty minutes ago saying someone was murdered. We came in and found this boy holding a .22 caliber. We don’t know his name or the identity of the victim.”
You: “*glaring at the officer* And what took you so long? Why don’t you know his name? Is there your first day on the job or are you just waiting for me to call you an idiot?”
Officer: “*flinching a bit* Every time we ask the boy, he starts mumbling something about not meaning to do it.”
You give an exasperated sigh to the officer as the coroner walks over with a piece of plastic in his hand.
Coroner: “Our John Doe is Lee Jung Hoon. *hands the plastic to you* This was found in his pocket.”
You take the ID and look over it. You then turn your attention to the boy who is in tears, muttering. You drop down in front of him and realize how young he is. You pull a smile and lift the boy’s head, forcing him to make eye contact with you.
Boy: “I didn’t mean to.”
You: “*rubbing his arm* I know. *turning to the arresting officer* Get these cuffs off of him.”
The officer removes the cuffs, grumbling under his breath, and the boy mutters a thank you while rubbing his wrists.
You: “*still smiling* Can you tell me your name?”
Boy: “*sniffling* Lee Taemin.”
You: “Taemin, do you know that man over there?”
Taemin: “Nae, he’s my boss.”
You: “*raising an eyebrow* Your boss?”
Taemin: “Nae. I am….was…a runner for him.”
You: “So he’s a drug dealer?” *Taemin nods* Okay, can you tell me how you ended up in this situation?”
Taemin stares off into the distance before telling you what happened.
Taemin walks out of this house with a suitcase trailing behind him and a frown on his face. He starts walking through the yard to the main house. He reaches it and sees four guards stationed at the door.
Taemin: “I need to speak to hyung-nim, it’s important.”
One of the guys goes into the house and comes back a few moments later, ushering Taemin to come in. Taemin walks into the sprawling mansion and is led upstairs. He is then lead into an office that is as big as an apartment. Taemin bows to the man behind the desk and the woman perched atop the desk.
Jung Hoon: “*tapping the woman’s thigh* Why don’t you wait outside?”
The woman pouts before sliding off the desk and sauntering out of the office, pecking Taemin’s cheek on the way out. Taemin wipes the bright pink lipstick off his face as he clears his throat.
Jung Hoon: “What’s up Min? Ready for another job?”
Taemin: “No, hyung-nim. I would like to tell you, I quit. I can’t do this anymore.”
Jung Hoon looks slightly irritated but quickly recovers. He smirks at Taemin before responding.
Jung Hoon: “Fine. I’ll come search you out when you are a little older. This may have been too much for you. You can leave.”
Taemin thanks Jung Hoon before bowing and exiting the office. He leaves the house and just as he is exiting the gates, he receives a text messages.
To: Taemin
From: Hyung-nim
Go to Seoul International Hotel. Wait in room 202. I have something for you.
 
To: Hyung-nim
From: Taemin
Nae hyung-nim.
 
Taemin catches the bus to the hotel. He goes up to the front desk and tells them the room number. Taemin takes the key and heads up to the room. He pulls the pistol from his waistband and sits it on the bed. Within a few minutes, Taemin hears the door being opened. On instinct, he grabs the pistol and lays it flat again his leg. The door is opened to reveal Jung Hoon with a .22 caliber gun trained on Taemin.
Jung Hoon: “*wicked smirk plastered on his face* Did you think it would be that easy to leave?”
Taemin: “H-Hyung-nim….I-I…Y-you said y-you had something for me.”
Jung Hoon: “I do. A bullet.”
Jung Hoon releases the safety on the gun, drowning out the fact that Taemin is doing the same. Jung Hoon tilts the gun slightly and Taemin closes his eyes. A shot rings out and Taemin’s eyes snap open.
Taemin: “…and hyung-nim was lying on the ground. I called the police and waited. Am I going to prison?”
You: “I’m afraid so but only for a little while since you are still a minor and this was self-defense.”
Taemin immediately bursts into tears. You comfort the boy as he is once again handcuffed. He is taken to the police station where he is processed and booked.
---One month later---
Taemin has been in prison for one month and you have become extremely close with him. You tap on the cell bars causing the young boy to stir. A small smile breaks out across his thinning face when he lays eyes on you.
Taemin: “Good Morning Officer (Y/N).”
You: “Morning Taemin. *opening the cell door* You are being released for good behavior.”
Taemin walks out of the cell and follows you out to be processed and receive his belongings. While he is making sure all of his things are there, you tap him on the shoulder. He turns to you with a smile on his face.
You: “*smiling in spite of yourself* Taemin you will be staying with me until we can find a foster home for you. Since you are still a minor, we can’t allow you to stay on your own. Are you okay with that?”
Taemin nods as he grabs his things and follows you our to your Mercedes. He gawks at the car as he slides into the passenger seat. You drive him to your house and set him up in your guest room.
---2 years later---
Taemin has been with you for two years without anyone wanting to take him in. He is now 18 years old and is of legal age to live on his own. While he is at school, you find a job and an apartment for him. Once everything is done, you wait at home for him to come home from his last day of school. You are fixing dinner, when Taemin bursts through the door with a huge grin on his face. You look at the smiling boy who pulls you into a hug.
You: “*hugging Taemin back* I take it you had a good day.”
Taemin: “I did. I realized something today.”
You: “*pulling back* And what is that?”
Taemin: “*smiling wider* Now that I have finished high school and gotten into a good college, I feel like a man. And as a man, I’d like to ask you to be my girlfriend.”
You drop the folder you picked up as Taemin was talking and whip around to face him.
You: “*staring at the boy with wide-eyes* What?”
Taemin: “*blushing* Will you be my girlfriend?”
Will you say yes or give him the papers for the apartment and turn him down?