The one

Series of One shots

Based on a quote that says "One day, someone will walk into your life and make you see why it never worked out with anyone else"


---You---

*slam*

You slam your door causing the walls to shake. You knock over the many colored bottles on your dresser, not that you cared. You throw yourself onto your bed and lay there, motionless, as your tears soak your baby blue comforter, turning it navy. After you have cried yourself out, you sit up and walk over to a corner of your room that still houses the stuffed animals from your childhood. You push aside your big blue bear to reveal a list. It’s not just any list, this is a list of every guy that has ever broken your heart. It starts with the first man you have ever loved, your dad, who walked out when you were 10. The list goes on and on, some 20 odd names, each with a date. You grab the marker you keep on the floor and write on the wall.

KIM HIMCHAN- DECEMBER 2013 (2 YEARS)

You sit back and admire your work.

You: “*leaning back on your hands* I gave you two years of my life. I gave you my heart. I gave you my all and what do you do? You cheat on me….with my best friend.”

That night you vowed that you would never give your heart to another man again, just as you have every time a man has taken your heart and crushed it.

---Him---

*bam*

A young man is punching a punching bag with such force that it looks as if it might burst.

Boy: “*hitting the bag* How dare you? *hitting the bag again* You cheat on me and then expect me to take you back?”

The boy hits the bag again with such force that it knocks his friend, Kris, over.

Kris: “*getting up and dusting himself off* Yo, Kai. Chill out dude. It’s just a girl. You can have any girl you want.”

Kai: “*dropping to the ground* I don’t want any more girls. They are all snakes and foxes. I am never going to fall for another girl.”

Kris: “*rolling his eyes* You said that last time and the time before that.”

Kai: “I mean it this time. *gets up* I am going to shower.”

Kai heads to the showers. As he lets the hot spray wash over his head, he lets the tears he didn’t know he was holding back to fall. He exits the shower and heads with Kris to their shared apartment. The two boys enter the apartment where Kai heads straight for his room and grabs a box and a marker. He walks outside with the box and sits on the ground and writes on the box.

SON NA EUN- DECEMBER 2013 (3 YEARS)

After he finishes, he opens the box and drops a lit match into it. Kai watches as the flames dance across his memories, reducing them to ash. As the flames start to die down, Kai closes the box and buries it.

Kai: “This is the last time I give my heart to a girl.

---One month later---

---You---

You: “*running down the hallway* TAO!!”

The boy in question turns around at the sound of his name. You reach the boy out of breath and smiling. Tao returns your smile with a smile that doesn’t quite reach his eyes. You look up at Tao and hug him. When you don’t feel him return the hug, you release him and look up at his expressionless eyes.

You: “*smile fading* What’s the matter babe?”

Tao: “*looking away* Let’s end this.”

You: “What? *getting chocked up* End this? Wae?”

Tao: “*placing a hand on your shoulder* Because my dating you was a bet with my friend to see if I could make you fall for me since you are such an ice princess all the time.”

You: “*starting to cry* Ice princess? You think that’s a good reason to play with someone’s heart? *smacking Tao* Well I have new for you Huang Zitao, my heart was not a toy for you to play with. You can consider was broken up.”

---Him---

Kai: “*turning red* FINE!! LEAVE!! SEE IF I CARE!!”

Kai’s face turns redder, the louder he yells at his girlfriend, Bae Suzy.

Suzy: “*moving towards the boy who backs up* Kai, calm down. This is best for both of us.”

Kai: “BEST?! FOR BOTH OF US?! YOU MEAN BEST FOR YOU! I’M DONE!”

Kai storms off, tearing up as he starts walking towards the annex of your school.

{Kai POV} I can’t believe she broke up with me because there is a guy she might like. I…. *trips over something* What the? {End}

Kai: “*lying on the ground* YAH! Why’d you….. *sees your tear-stained face* Ah, mianhaeyo. Gwenchanayo?”

You nod at the boy as more tears paint your cheeks with black stripes from your running eyeliner.

Kai: “*grabbing your face between his hands* You don’t look okay. You look like someone just broke your heart.”

You look up at Kai like is speaking another language.

You: “How did you know?”

Kai: “*smiling* I just looked at you. It’s kind of obvious. *helping you off the ground* By the way, I’m Kim Jongin but you can call me Kai.”

You: “*standing up and brushing yourself off* Thank you Kai. *Kai asks your name* (Y/N).”

Kai: “Pretty name for a pretty girl. *you blush at Kai’s comment* Would you like to grab a coffee?”

You agree to Kai’s invitation and the two of you head to the local coffee shop. You talk for hours until you notice the sky getting dark.

Kai: “*standing up and grabbing your hand* Let me take you home.”

You stand up and the two of you walk to Kai’s car. He takes you home and gives you a hug.

Kai: “*hugging you* No guy is worth staining a pretty face with tears. No guy.”

Kai pulls away with a smile. He bids you good night and waits until you are safely inside before pulling away.

---One week later---

You are sitting in class, stressed about the final you are about to take. Just as you are about to sigh for the nth time, you feel a tap on your shoulder. You look up to see a large vase of flowers and a male voice speaking from behind them.

Voice: “A little birdie told me you could use something to bright your day.”

After the male utters the sentence, he sets the vase on the table to reveal your boyfriend.

You: “Kai? You didn’t….”

Kai: “I wanted to. *smiling at you* I like seeing you smile. *kissing your cheek* Good luck, babe. *waves to you* Bye.”

You wave to your boyfriend with a blush dusting your cheeks. You take your test and finish early. You grab the vase and head to the annex where you see Kai, enjoying the chilly breeze in the air. You set down the vase and pull out your camera. You snap a picture of Kai.

You: “*looking at the picture* Perfect.”

Kai: “*finally seeing you* What’s perfect?”

You show Kai the picture you just took of him. He smiles and pulls you into a hug that makes you feel warm despite the chill in the air.

---6 months later---

*knock, knock*

{Your POV} *still in bed* Who is that this freaking early in the morning? {End}

The knocking continues until you give up and answer the door.

You: “*opening the door, irritably* WHAT?!”
Visitor: “*backing up* Sorry babe. I didn’t know you were sleeping.”

You: “Kai? Mian.”

Kai: “*smiling* It’s okay. *grabbing your hand and pulling you out into the cold* Follow me.”

You: “*being dragged* YAH! PABO! I’M STILL IN MY PJS!”

Kai: “*putting you into the car* It’s okay. You don’t need to be dressed up for this.”

Kai drives you to the school and then drags you to the annex. He pulls off his coat and wraps it around you, just as the first snow starts to fall.

Kai: “*getting down on one knee* (Y/N), do you remember? This is where we met 6 months ago for the first time. *you nod* I want this also to be the place you remember as the place I asked you to be my wife. Will you marry me?”

You nod, teary-eyed, at the boy. He gets up from the ground and hugs you tight.

---One year later---

You are walking down the aisle at your wedding, watching Kai smile like a proud man in love. You smile back at him. When you finally reach him, he grabs your hand and leans close.

Kai: “*clutching your hand* You are trembling. Calm down. We are going to be happy.”

You smile up at Kai and as the two of you exchange your vows, you realize that Kai’s understanding and reassuring nature is exactly what you need to heal your broken heart and love again. Kai made you realize why it has never worked out with anyone else.