Being Free

Mommy's Girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WADf1tcZNs

 

The same day, Sumin had invited you to her house to do a project for school together. 

You gladly accepted after getting a permission from your mom like you always do. 

You rode her car and headed to her house. 

 

Once you arrived you greeted her parents and went to Sumin's room. There you started 

taking out the things you needed for the project. You two spend almost 2 hours for it. 

"Jieun-ah can we take a break? I'm tired." Sumin blew a raspberry. You chuckled. 

"Sure. I was getting tired too." you patted your face and sighed. 

 

You glanced at your bestfriend's window. There were a lot of students probably going home.

You carefully looked at them as they were laughing at some jokes some boys made. 

They seemed so happy and free to do everything they liked. 

 

Sumin glanced at your expression and looked out. "Oh those students?" Sumin asked. 

You looked at her waiting for an explanation. "They are some students from the nearby school." 

Sumin dranked her juice that the maid brought a while ago. "They always pass by this way when 

they are going home." she continued. You nodded understanding. 

 

"Sumin-ah." you called. "Uhm?" she raised an eyebrow. "Do you know the feeling of being free?" 

you asked out of the blue. "What question is that?" Sumin chuckled. "Being free like those students."

you pointed at their backs while the students continiously laughed. You saw them disappear at the corner.

 

Sumin pressed her lips in a thin line as he laid on her chair. "Honestly no. The both of us always

went to school were only rich kids went. With no boys either." she looked at you. You nodded

remembering your elementary days. "Wouldn't be nice if we were one of them?" you asked. 

Sumin titled her head confused. "What?"

 

"I mean experiencing how to be a student in public school." you explained with a lot of interest.

Sumin went near you interested with your words. "Experiencing how to go school by walking,

how to eat lunch with them, how those students act,well this is not so important but how boys

act around us." your eyes were shining from curiosity. Oh Jieun boys are just important as girls...

 

"So you mean you want to change school from private to public?" Sumin asked as she hugged

her pillow. "Do you want to?" you asked her. "Uhm...yeah we haven't tried something new.

We're 17. We have to try new things." Sumin pumped her fist. You chuckled at her answer. 

 

"So...shall we?" you gave her a playful look. Sumin nodded her head happily.

"But first we need to ask our parents." you reminded. "Oh yeah. I will ask them tonight." Sumin said. 

"Yeah me too." you high fived with her.

 

A few minutes later after finishing the project, you headed home with your driver. 

 

"Hey sweetie." your father kissed your head as you went in the living room. 

You threw your bag in the sofa and looked at them. "Umma appa can you do me a favour?" 

you lowered your head. It was usual for them asking favours from you. But it has been a

long time since you asked them to do something for you. And with such an important matter. 

 

"What do you want sweetie?" your mother asked smiling. *You can do this Jieun. Just tell them.* 

You clenched your fist tightly and spoke. "Umma appa. I want to change school." 

Husband and wife looked at each other. You were waiting for their response. 

"Did you cause trouble?" It was the first time 'Trouble' was announced from your mother's mouth. 

 

"No." you shook your head. Your parents sighed in relief. "Why do you want to change school?

Are your classmates treating you bad?" your father became worried. "No no nothing like that." 

you said. "It's just..." you titled your head. "It's just I want to experience how to be a student in 

public school." you admitted. 

 

Once again the parents looked at each other. Their daughter's petition was unusual. 

"Don't worry. Sumin is also coming with me." you tried convincing them. "Well if her parents let her." 

you whispered the last sentence. Your mother pressed her lips in a thin line. 

 

"Do you really want that?" she looked at you seriously. You nodded confidently. 

"We will talk about it and will tell you later." your father said. "Arasso." you nodded 

and went into your room praying they would accept.

 

While doing your homework a knock startled you. "Come in." you said still focused on your

homeworks. "Hey Jieun." your mother came in and sat beside you. "We thought about your 

petition of changing school." she spoke. You looked at her with anticipation. 

 

"We let you on changing school." she finally said. "Yes!" you clapped. "But which school do you

want to go?" she asked curious. "Uhm..." you tapped your chin. 

 

*"From what school are they?" you asked Sumin. "They are from Woolim High"* 

 

"I want to go in Woolim High." you smiled nodding. 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------