Why can't it be me?

Goddess's Oneshot CHRISTMAS GIFT

1. Username: iera_jun
2. Featuring male idol(s): Niel (Teen Top)
3. Featuring female :
4: Plot : Niel is secretly in love with his best friend's girl Haemin. But one day he cant take it anymore and just confessed his feelings towards haemin but she rejects him. their relationship becomes awkward after that. but one day, niel found out that his best friend broke up with her. so he confessed once again. will haemin accept him this time?
5: Genre: angst
6: Title: Why cant it be me?

 

-----

 

"Hey dude."

Niel looked up and naturally smiled. His best friend Jungho plopped himself next to Niel and grabbed one of the car magazines Niel had on the table and casually flipped through it.

"What's up?" Niel looked at his best friend. "It's after school, you usually disappear by now. Unless..." he grinned cheekily. "You want to join us for basketball?" he gestured to his other Teen Top friends.

Jungho shook his head. "Nah. I prefer baseball." he grinned. "Anyway I'm going off soon. I'm just waiting for Haemin to get off from class. She's too much of a goody two shoes sometimes. Says she has some questions for the teacher, hah!"

Niel frowned. He didn't like how his best friend was talking about Haemin. If he loved her, shouldn't he accept every one of her traits?

But perhaps he was a little sensitive on the Haemin topic. He was, after all, in love with his best friend's girlfriend. Which, putting it plainly, . Big time.

"I don't think so." Niel blurted and Jungho turned to look at him. "I like how Haemin's always so studious, it's just the way she is don't you thin-"

"Jungho!"

Both guys turned to the sound of her voice and Jungho sprang up from his seat. Niel's knee jerked as well but he forced himself to stay seated, plastering a neutral smile on his face. "Baby!" Jungho pulled Haemin in for a hug and kissed her on the cheek wetly.

Niel looked away, wincing. He had to endure this every single time and it . And the worst thing was that he liked Jungho enough to care about his best friend, and he had to endure all the pain by himself, hiding it away.

Haemin backed away from Jungho, embarrassed. "Jungho! I thought I told you not to do that in public." she whispered. She saw Niel and smiled. "Hey Niel."

"Hey." Niel smiled back, his eyes twinkling too brightly to be saying hi to a mere female friend. "So baby," Jungho spoke, snatching away Haemin's attention from Niel. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah." Haemin nodded. She waved at Niel. "Bye Niel!" And the couple walked off hand in hand. Niel let out a little sigh as he watched. Days like this . Everyday .

-----

One day after his basketball practice, Niel finished washing up and went to grab his bag. He was surprised to see Haemin walking along the corridor and he quickly rushed to say hi. "Haemin!"

Haemin turned around and smiled pleasantly. "Hi Niel. Finished practice?"

Niel was glad he decided to wash up with more soap than usual that day. "Yeah." he fell in step with her. When he was with her, everything felt so easy. Talking, breathing, smiling. But at the same time everything felt electrified. Being with Haemin was everything he wanted, and everything he couldn't get.

"Why are you still in school?" Niel asked her curiously. He couldn't help but feel glad that his best friend wasn't around.

"Art club." Haemin beamed. Niel was relieved to hear that her answer didn't respond with his best friend's name either. "I saw you practicing a little just now when I went to the storeroom to get my art supplies." Haemin looked up at him. "Wow Niel, you're pretty impressive."

Niel reddened. "Ah.." he rubbed the back of his neck. "Not really."

"Haha are you being shy now?" Haemin laughed. "Aigoo, that's cute. Jungho doesn't know how to be shy no matter what I say. I'll bet a lot of girls fall for you when they see you playing basketball huh?" she teased.

Niel bit his lip. "I don't care about other girls." he muttered under his breath, shooting her a glance. Damn, why did his best friend have to get to her first? He knew Haemin before Jungho, he met her first. He had fallen in love with her before Jungho knew anything about her, but his best friend had acted so quickly and so furiously with his pursuit that Haemin ended up his. Niel had regretted more than anything about that.

"Why not?" Haemin smiled at him. "I'm sure you'll find a nice girl for yourself, Niel. You're a really nice guy and I'm sure you'll make a perfect boyfriend."

"So why him? Why not me?" Niel blurted.

Haemin stopped in her tracks and blinked at him in confusion. "Excuse me?"

"I said, why Jungho? Why not me?" Niel repeated, this time louder. He didn't know what he was doing anymore, and he didn't care. All these months of frustration had to be released somehow.

"Niel." Haemin whispered, shocked. "What are you talking about?" she laughed uneasily. "Is this a joke?"

"This is anything but a joke." Niel murmured, swallowing hard. "I love you alright? I've fallen in love with you even before Jungho knew your name, but I was too slow. When he met you, he started flirting with you the first moment you two met and started sending you flowers and gifts." he raked his fingers through his hair. "Before I could do anything, you were gone. You were his." he winced and closed his eyes.

"Do you know how hard it has been for you?" he whispered brokenly. "To see you two together, laughing and cuddling when I wish I could be Jungho? Sometimes I wish I could just kill my best friend because he doesn't deserve you. He doesn't treat you well enough." He opened his eyes and stared at her. "But I do. I love you more than you can imagine, Haemin."

Haemin swallowed and took a step away from him. "But I'm dating Jungho now, this doesn't change things." she croaked. "I'm really sorry Niel, I wish I had known before."

"But can't you consider at all?" Niel pleaded. "Please?"

"I'm sorry." Haemin her heel and ran out of the entrace. Niel watched her go with a heavy heart, knowing that things actually did change with his confession.

Not Jungho and Haemin's relationship, no. They would still be together.

But Haemin and his relationship would be a goner from then on.

-----

He was right.

Haemin and his relationship turned extremely awkward from then on and there was no saving it. When they met in the hallways, Haemin would give him an awkward polite smile and quickly dart away. When their eyes met in the middle of the cafeteria, she would look away as quickly as possible.

Niel didn't want her to avoid him but he knew that one day he loved her meant another day which she couldn't face him properly while being romantically involved with his best friend.

He thought that this was the end of his first love, his first ever heart break. Until one day.

Niel was preparing for basketball practice when he saw his best friend Jungho hooking up with one of the cheerleaders. The girl's hands were on Jungho's belt and Jungho whispered intimately in her ear, an action that meant anything but platonic.

Niel saw red and he immediately stormed over, prying Jungho away. "Bastard." he cursed. "What the do you think you're doing?"

The cheerleader quickly took the opportunity to run away as Jungho faced Niel. "What the hell man? I was going to get her number!" he spat.

"Her number? I would have thought you were getting lucky tonight." Niel snickered. "What the hell are you doing with another girl when you have a girlfriend?"

"I don't!" Jungho shook Niel's grip away. "I broke up with Haemin alright? I've been thinking about doing it for a long time and these few days, she doesn't give me the attention I need. I figured I deserve another girl-"

Before he could finish, Niel's fist connected with his face and sent him sprawling on the floor. Niel let out a growl and stormed away without a backward glance. He quickly ran to the art room to look for Haemin, knowing that she liked to go there when she needed peace and quiet.

She was. Sitting there hugging her knees and silently crying. Niel cursed under his breath as he approached her.

"Haemin." he murmured softly as he squated in front of her and lifted her face. He flinched when he saw her tear stained cheeks and red eyes. "."

Haemin looked away, wiping at her eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"To find you, silly." Niel turned her head to him and wiped away her remaining tears. Why did the tears keep falling? "I heard from Jungho. He's a bastard, he's not worth your tears, Haemin."

"But he's your best friend." Haemin bit her lip that started wobbling again.

"Best friend or not, he's a bastard." Niel declared. He softened at her sight and gathered him in her arms. "Don't cry, please."

"I.." Haemin's voice was muffled against his chest. "He said I didn't give him enough attention, but he didn't even realize that sometimes I was angry with him because he flirted with other girls. And sometimes, I was just plain distracted because...because..."

"Because?" Niel prompted.

"Because of you." Haemin whispered. "After you told me how you felt, I couldn't stop thinking about you. I found my thoughts being occupied by you and because of that, I felt guilty and I didn't dare meet Jungho's eyes, even. That was how we started drifting apart I guess. And now I lost both of you."

"You never lost me, babo." Niel murmured, a smile curling onto his lips at her confession. "I'll always be here for you."

Haemin blinked up at him with wide hopeful eyes and Niel knew, from that instant, that he had a chance. A chance to change his future.