Chapter 37: I Wonder If You Hurt Like Me

LOVE NEVER SLEEPS (My Heart's Candy)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 December 12, 2011...

After more than a month, things started going back to normal. SoHee went back to school and even though she’s having a difficult time catching up, she’s still able to pass her subjects. Business is doing fine for their companies and GaIn had her comeback promotions last November. JunHo’s been spending a lot of time in JYPE composing songs and also for personal reasons. Suzy and Sun have been spending more time getting to know the bachelors their brothers have introduced, and it seems like Sun is having a more special connection with Cho KyuHyun. Khun and Vic also have taken the next step in their relationship as they now live together (occasionally going back to their own families’ homes) in a medium-sized apartment in the same subdivision as Taec’s.

That morning, a flight from South Korea arrived in Haneda Airport and after about twenty minutes of its arrival, a man in black trench coat with black suitcase walked out from the gates.

“Good morning, Ok Sajang-nim.” A man in grey suit bowed to him. He then moved near the car and opened the door for the young executive.

“Good morning to you too, Director Jung.” Taec greeted back as he went in the car. The said director also rode the car. “So, YunHo-ssi, is everything alright here in Japan? Nothing omitted from the reports?” He asked as the car started driving the roads of Tokyo.

“Yes sir. Everything is going smoothly sir.” The subordinate replied.

“That’s good to hear. It seems you’re doing a better job after you’ve been transferred to the Tokyo office.”

“Uhmm, ne.” He smiled at the compliment. “But sir, we might need extra help in the Marketing Department since the company is expanding.” YunHo proposed.

“I understand. Just make a proposal and send it to the Seoul office as soon as possible so we could make arrangements.” He added. “How about you, are you living well here in Tokyo, hyung?”

“Yes, I actually am, TaecYeon-ah.” The director responded. The two continued talking about business and personal issues as the college sun-hoobae relived their friendship.

After more than twenty minutes of driving through busy roads of Tokyo, they arrived at the office building and headed straight to the conference room to commence the meeting. The meeting ended after lunch time and Taec bought the employees some light lunch. He then proceeded to prepare for the next day’s meeting with some investors.

December 14, 2011...

Taec was done with all his business transactions in Tokyo and it was time for personal matters. He took the bullet train to Osaka and arrived there at around 1pm. He called Chan’s mobile phone but there was no answer. He then called his office, and found that he’s actually in a meeting. He had no choice but to roam around Osaka alone and wait for his dongsaeng to be free for his surprise visit. Good thing he was still fluent with Japanese as he had no problem in discovering more about Osaka just like a tourist.

He got back at Kita-ku by 4:40pm and decided to call his dongsaeng again. No one answered his call so he called his office. Chan’s secretary told Taec that he’s currently sleeping and that Taec could drop by his office, and that Chan would love it if he sees him again. In no time, Taec arrived at the Hwang’s office building. He approached the front desk and he was told to proceed to the 22nd floor and look for Miss Choi SooYoung. Upon exiting the elevator, he was welcomed by silent and dimly lit halls walled with dark brown oakwood and gold bearings. He spotted a lone woman behind her desk at the end of the hall and assumed it to be Miss Choi.

“Good afternoon, are you Miss Choi?”

“Yes sir, and you must be President Ok. Good afternoon sir!” she returned the greeting and he nodded.

“Is ChanSeong inside?” He straightforwardly asked.

“Yes, but he is still sleeping sir. Will you please wait here while I wake him up?” she replied preparing to go inside Chan’s office.

“Wait!” He stopped her. “I’ll wake him, he sometimes punch people around him when he wakes up unwillingly. But may I ask, does he always sleep in his office?”

SooYoung chuckled before answering Taec. “He’s stressed a lot these days. After the Chairman died, the board has been pressuring him and the Madam. He’s not even used to living here in Japan yet and he’s being held responsible for the entire company and more than 1500 employees.”

Taec was shocked at what she had said and some of her words did not register in his head with the shock. “What did you just say? What do you mean the Chairman died?” He asked anxiously and SooYoung was left confused.

“The Chairman died about two weeks ago. It was reported in the news, did you not see it?” She asked and he just shook his head.

“He didn’t even tell me when we talked last week.” He answered softly. He looked at the door to Chan’s office and gave his attention back to the secretary. She gave a weak smile telling Taec to go ahead and comfort ChanSeong. He went inside the office and stared at Chan sleeping on his office chair. He could see darker eyebags, thinner face and weary ChanSeong. He looks way worse than the pictures he had sent. It was so different from the Chan three months ago. He could not believe that the bright, energetic and always healthy Chan is the same man he’s seeing right now.  

He was worried as hell for ChanSeong. First was leaving his friends and breaking up with SoHee, then living in an unfamiliar place and now his dad leaving him forever. No matter how old and mature Channie looked and sometimes acted, he was still the group’s maknae and their “baby”. As a big brother, he did not want to see his little brother be in pain and also try with all his might to hide the pain.

All of a sudden, ChanSeong slowly opened his eyes. For a few seconds, he didn’t notice that Taec was there, until his eyes had fully adjusted to the light in his office.

“Hyung?” Chan blurted out in surprise. He couldn’t believe that Taec was there so he kept on rubbing his eyes, thinking that he was imagining things. “Hyung! It really is you!” He rejoiced as he wrapped the older man in a tight hug. “Hyung, what are you doing here?”

“Surprising you and getting choked by you, I guess?” He joked as he tried to release the hug.

“No, really? Why are you here? Are you not busy? Did you come alone? How are the others doing?” He shot a lot of questions which made him look more like the Channie he had known for a long time.

“First, I’m really here. Second, I had a business meeting two days ago and I thought of visiting you here since I still have time. Third, a bit busy, I guess. I just finished some business deals before I flew here. Fourth, I did come alone since the rest are also busy with work, and JunHo flirting around JYPE. Fifth, they’re doing fine, better than you’re doing, I suppose.” He answered with the last one making both of them turn their smiles upside down.

“Chan-ah, why didn’t you tell us?” Taec started the serious conversation.

“What didn’t I tell you?” Chan played innocent.

“About uncle. Why didn’t you tell us when we called you last week?”

“Cause I can’t... I can’t bring myself telling people that... that my dad died. I don’t wanna talk about it because all I remember is the fact that... I wasn’t there for him.” He started and tears slowly formed.

“For twenty years, I’ve lived away from him... and I didn’t even realize that he’s sick... I didn’t even bother asking him, or my stepmom on how they’re doing..., how’s dad’s health...” Tears fell from his weary eyes and Taec comforted him by rubbing his back.

“Without telling you guys..., I would feel that he’s still there..., that he hasn’t left me... Saying it out loud..., that my father’s dead..., makes me realize... that he really is... and that he would not come back to my side... that he had left me forever...” He broke into tears as Taec hugged him.

“Hyung, I miss him... I want to tell him that I’m sorry... I’m really sorry... I want to call him ‘dad’ one last time... I want to rest in his arms again... I want to tell him how much I love him... I’m sorry...” He sobbed in Taec’s arms as the older continued his back, hushing and calming him down. However, he continued sobbing and even louder, saying how he misses his dad and how he’s sorry.

Outside Chan’s office...

“Noona, are you ready for...” MinHo and Sulli approached SooYoung’s desk and saw her wiping her tears and with reddish eyes and nose. “Noona, are you okay? What happened?”

“Gwaenchanha...” SooYoung replied.

“Are you sure? Why are you crying?” MinHo asked again and SooYoung just waved her hand saying that she’s fine.

“Unni, I’ll just call Channie oppa, he can join us right?” Sulli was three feet away from Chan’s door and was about to head inside his office when SooYoung pulled her hand and covered Sulli’s mouth.

“Noona, what’s wrong?” MinHo asked and SooYoung also told him to shut up.

When the three were finally silent, MinHo and Sulli heard sobs coming from their boss’ office. Stubborn Sulli was about to turn the knob when SooYoung pulled her once again.

“Unni! That hurts.” She whined while she rubbed her wrist.

“Stay away from his office.”

“But he’s crying again, I just want to comfort him. I always do that, so why are you stopping me?”

“Someone’s already inside comforting him, so he doesn’t need you anymore. You two go ahead, I’ll wait for them to come out.”

“Is it a girl?” Sulli asked with a pout.

“Ani, it’s one of his hyungs back in Korea.” SooYoung replied and then the door to his offce suddenly opened.

“SooYoung-ssi, can I get a cup of hot cocoa?” TaecYeon peeped through the door and SooYoung immediately made a cup of instant choco. He noticed the two unfamiliar faces and greeted them. “Annyeong-haseyo!”

“They’re my siblings, Choi MinHo and Choi Sulli. MinHo also works here and Sulli is preparing to work here.” SooYoung introduced. “Sulli is also a close friend of Chan, she’s been making him smile for quite a while now.” She continued as she handed him the cup of hot cocoa.

“Is he alright?” Sulli asked.

“A little better than a few minutes ago. He’s stopped crying now. Why don’t you guys see him inside?” He offered as he opened the door.

They walked inside and Chan hurriedly wiped the tears and mucus dripping on his face. He was clearly embarrassed to let his employees see him like this, especially since he was trained to look respectful in front of subordinates. Taec handed him the cocoa and he sipped it enjoyingly like a little boy. The Chois were touched of their brotherhood upong seeing them. From other people’s perspective, the picture of Taec caring for Chan seems like a dad or a big brother caring for his little one.

Sulli sat beside Chan and dabbed Chan’s face with tissue to dry him from tears and sweat. She also fixed his hair and patted his back. When he finished his cocoa, that’s when he remembered the Chois.

“What are you guys doing here, anyway?”

“We came to have dinner with noona, then we saw her crying outside, then we heard you sobbing, then we met President Ok, then we were invited here to comfort you.” MinHo responded.

“Why were you crying?” Chan asked.

“You heard him, didn’t you?” Taec asked and SooYoung nodded. Chan smiled shyly and tried to hide his sadness.

“Oppa, do you want to come with us for dinner?” Sulli wrapped her arms on Chan’s and showed aegyo.

“President Ok, do you have prior engagements? Do you mind eating with us?” MinHo asked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter