Chapter 28

50 Moments to Show I Care

“Marry me?”


 

“Kwon Jiyong? Why are you moping around my store?”

Dami’s voice was teasing as she pulled up a chair next to her younger sibling. He had come by the store earlier to prowl through her new collection, mostly looking for new inspiration or something to steal, but he had suddenly decided to stay with her the whole day.

It was a little unsettling. Sure, she loved her brother, but he was normally too busy to spare more than a few hours.

“I’m not moping, just thinking.”

Jiyong's voice was treading on depressed and it struck Dami the wrong way. Something was really wrong with her brother and she didn’t know what. As his older sister, it was her duty to figure it out and to give wholesome advice.

“Alright, spill. The stores closed now so you have my undivided attention.”

He looked surprised as he glanced down at his watch before looking back up to meet her welcoming eyes. She didn’t know what he was going to say, but she was ready for it.

Anything for her brother.

“Seunghyun wants to get married.”

Had Dami had a drink in she would have choked. Marriage, a touchy topic for Jiyong. Marriage meant coming out to the public. Marriage ment damaging his career to almost unfixable levels. Being a celebrity, being loved by millions of fans, writing and producing music, was what Jiyong lived for.

“And you don’t want to?”

Jiyong looked down at the table, his brows furrowed as he shuffled through his thoughts.

“I mean, I do, but-”

“But you guys are celebrities?”

He nodded his head, looking ashamed that being a celebrity was stopping him from marrying Seunghyun. Dami couldn’t blame him. He had sacrificed his life to get where he was. He was finally achieving his long lived dreams.

This decision, for Jiyong, was too much pressure. Sure, he thought about himself, but Dami knew him well. She knew he took Seunghyun's career into consideration as well. He was finally becoming established as an actor.

“Well, I guess the question is what is more important, your career or your love for him. If Seunghyun want to marry you then he’s already decided.”

“It’s not that simple.”

Dami sighed and Jiyong finally lifted his gaze. Jiyong was stubborn, it was as endearing as it was annoying. It reminded her of what she went through with her husband to get married.

“Look, I’m going to let you in on a little secret. I didn't want to marry my husband either. Well, I was hesitant like you are. I was just starting my ‘fashion empire’ and I didn’t want anything to interfere or hinder me.”

Honestly, the fear was that If she got married she would have to put her dreams on hold to stabilize their family before starting again. By the time she would be ready to step back into the fashion worlds things would have changed. She wouldn’t be able to grow without facing more difficulties than she was now.

“Sure, I can’t compare my dreams to you coming out in this society, but I can sympathise to dreams versus love. Which to choose, which one is best for me?”

Jiyong nodded his head as he listened to her words and Dami knew he was really confused about what to do. He hadn’t even interrupted as she had expected.

“In the end I ended up choosing love. I had to re-create my business and start from scratch. It was hard and it was strenuous, but it was worth it because I got to marry my best friend. I choose love and I would choose it every time.”

“But how did you come to the decision? I love Seunghyun, I love him more then life, but I love what I do. I love being a celebrity. I don’t want to disappoint anyone.”

His eyes glistened as he continued to speak and Dami had to think for a while before speaking her response. Feelings were complicated, they always would be. People wanted one thing without having to give up the other.

“As mother used to tell me, ‘If you’re not going to marry him then take your hands off of someone else's future.’ Same things applies here, no?”

Stunned, he looked as stunned as she was the first time she had heard it. Is he ready to lose Seunghyun if he doesn’t marry him? Seunghyun would be patient, he loved Jiyong, but he wouldn’t be willing to wait for the rest of his life for something more when he wouldn’t get it. Jiyong needed to understand that. He needed to understand that choosing his career was suicide for the longtivity of their relationship.

“I think,” Jiyong stumbled as he stood from his seat, looking dazed. “I think I should go see Seunghyun. I, no, we have some things to talk about.”

She watched in concern as her little brother made his way out of the store. Hopefully he would choose Seunghyun. Jiyiong had dated a lot of people but no one treated him as well as Seunghyun had. It helped that their mother loved the man more than anyone. 

3 hours later, after finally finding inspiration to work on her new line, her phone buzzed.

Jiyongs name flashed across the screen but the content made her heart flutter. 3 simple words that held the weight of the world.

We’re getting married.



I think I want to add more family/member interaction