LI.

Love the Rain so You Can Love Me Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rain had stopped pouring the next morning yet its dark clouds still covered the sky. Cold winds still blew in whistles as the tree branches sway outside.


Like any other days, Sungwoo woke up the earliest to prepare a hot breakfast for everyone. However, she was surprised to see Seri up early with the stoves on and pots burning in the kitchen.


"Good morning."
 
"Oh, ajumma? Good morning."
 
"Aren't you up too early sweetheart?"
 
"Ahh. Just wanted to cook for everyone.", she answered with her wooden spoon stirring on the soup.
 
"Ah you're always so sweet Seri."
 
Though Sungwoo acted to believe her words, she noticed how tired the young girl's eyes still looked. The truth was, Seri couldn't sleep so well. Even when her body felt tired, her mind flew in thoughts all night.
 
After Seri's cooking, she invited everyone to share the meal she created. She was able to get to know the people who worked for the Park's who were all up and ready for the day's labor that morning. Seri will find herself smiling and giggling through their stories as they ate. Everyone seem to love working for them and Seri admired it so much.

 

"Ahh Ms. Seo, you're such a good cook."
 
"I envy Mr. Park so much. He never has to go hungry with Ms. Seo as his wife.", one of the drivers commented making everyone go awkwardly silent. He earned an elbow from the person sitting beside him when he didn't realize what he said.
 
A striking wave of anxiety hit her with a comment she didn't expect to hear. Besides halmeoni, no one else in the house knew of their supposed to be 'break up.' However, as the news spread about her and Kai, she also knew how people were thinking of the downfall with their relationship.
 
"Sorry Ms. Seo."
 
"Ah no need to apologize.", a faint smile she gave to them as she spoke.
 
"Well our Chanyeolie is a very lucky man indeed.", Sungwoo speaks with a gentle smile, trying to break the awkwardness.


Jaewon then gathered the house helpers together after their heartfelt breakfast. There he announced the accident Chanyeol had been through the night before. The whole room was filled with gasps and cries as he told them of what had happened. They all feared for his condition through question after question they asked. Being the head of the group, Jaewon easily managed to calm them down. Through him, Chanyeol gave the instruction of not letting his halmeoni know of what had happened. The meeting ended with further explanations and directions. When everyone felt assured that Chanyeol was in a good state, they all went to do their own share of house work.

 

 

**

 

 

With a bowl of hot soup, buttered toast with egg, and a glass of warm chocolate drink, Sungwoo goes to the room where Chanyeol was staying to deliver his breakfast when one of the helpers told her that he was already up. She quietly steps in, careful not to disturb him.

 

Chanyeol sat on his bed with his messy hair, massaging his aching arm. His eyes narrowed to check who came in as Sungwoo stepped closer with the tray in hand.

 

“Ajumma?”

 

“I see you’re up already. How are you feeling?”

 

Sungwoo noticed his eyes searching towards the door. She smiled, knowing how the young man expected for a certain someone to come in.

 

“Expecting for someone?”, she teasingly asked.


“Ah.. ani..”

 

“Ah Seri?”

 

With a mischievous smile on her face she called for her while staring at his face to watch his reaction. He suddenly lifted his head and waited for her to come in with much excitement.

 

“Ajumma..”, he said whining when she giggled to his actions.

 

“Not expecting for someone eh?”

 

“Aish. Where is she?” an annoyed tone he used as he asked for her.

 

“Who?”

 

His eyes widen when Sungwoo acted naively on his question, putting the tray of food  on the table beside him.

 

“Seri.”

 

“What about Seri?”

 

He face palmed, defeated by this old lady’s way of catching him.

 

“Aiii.. Where’s Seri, ajumma?, he finally asked.

 

“She’s with your grandmother. But she told me to make sure you eat these.”, she answered with a satisfied smile.

 

Chanyeol looked over to the tray, taking in what was prepared for him. Sungwoo, then arranged it on his bed so he could start eating.

 

“She strictly told me to make sure you finish it.”

 

“Thank you ajumma. I’ll eat but this is all too many.”

 

“You need it and besides, she cooked.”

 

With that said, Chanyeol starts to dig in slowly. He savored the flavor with each sip and bite he took. Sungwoo watched him with ease as he got himself full.

 

“How are you?”, she asked while she sat on the chair beside him.

 

“Aii ajumma, you’re really aging now. You already asked me that. I told you, I’m fine.”


“Aish this boy!”

 

Chanyeol chuckles with his own teasing.

 

“I didn’t mean you physically. I meant your heart.”

 

“Even if you don’t say anything, I know you and Seri are having difficulties in your relationship.”

 

“Ajumma, it’s hard now. But it’ll get better.”, he tries to comfort the lady who had taken care of him for as long as he could remember.

 

“I don’t understand why you’re aiming for a ‘better’ when you once had the best of it.”

 

“I know it hasn’t been easy for so many years. We all felt it but it should be the worse for you. But Chanyeolie, don’t let it hinder you from getting the happiness you also deserve.”

 

“I’m not asking you to get back with her because I don’t know the issue between you two. But I’m asking you to think twice.”

 

 

**

 

 

“He’s still not here?”, Halmeoni asked, looking for his grandson while Seri helped her finish her breakfast.

 

“Ahh he..”, Seri took a deep breath, preparing for a lie she’s going to tell her.

 

“Chanyeol couldn’t really make it. Something came up with work so.. but I’m sure he’d call when he’s available.”

 

“I see. Well that’s fine"

 

“But halmeoni, of course he wants to see you.”, Seri adds, wanting to cheer his grandmother up.

 

“Aish. He knows I’m better now. That boy is just using me so he could see you.”

 

“Halmeoni?”, Seri’s eyes widen in surprise with his grandmother’s words.

 

“Aigoo Seri. My grandson is really difficult I know.”

 

Seri giggles at halmeoni’s cute gesture.

 

“But he also loves you very much.”

 

“I know that. What I’m waiting for is for you to know that he also loves you very much.”

Seri could only give a mirthless smile over her words while halmeoni held her hand, caressing it softly.

 

“Aii when will I ever get my grand grand children?”

 

“Halmeoni?”, she calls, embarrassed this time.

 

“I’m sorry honey. You two are taking too much time to make up it’s frustrating.”

 

“I know how you feel halmeoni.”

 

They both giggle as their conversation went on.

 

“Eii.. could it be that you’re only using me too so you could see Channie?”, halmeoni teased.

 

“What?”, her jaw dropped with the teasing the old lady was doing. They both later on giggled together, having fun with their small talk.

 

“You know sweetie, he still doesn’t know that I’m aware of your little deal. Should I act now?”

 

“Halmeoni, what are you talking about?”

Even when her relationship with her grandson was unstable, halmeoni felt closer and closer to Seri. She was the grand daughter she wished she'd be able to spend a much longer time with. Her prayer, is that she stays to be a part of their family after everything that her relationship with Chanyeol had been through.

 

 

**

 

 

The sky suggests that the sun would not be making any appearance that day as the dark clouds still covered the heavens. Chanyeol could only see the unhappy clouds from his window. No birds would be flying high when it was too windy to do so. This day continues to feel gloomy without their sweet chirping and singing from the tree branches.

 

After a few minutes of sluggish staring, someone knocks on the door. He sits upright before giving the go signal to the person on the other side to enter. With much anticipation, he waited to see her face entering. But with much disappointment, it was only Sungwoo who entered again, giving him the medicine he needed to take. After drinking it, he was once again left to stare outside his window.

 

Three loud knocks caught his attention once more. Again, he sat straight up to check who it was with a wish that it would be her. And again, he was disappointed. This time, it was Jaewon holding a big box on his arm. He then remembered instructing him to come get his things from his car that the police held last night.

 

“Everything is here sir.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Are you okay Mr. Park? Is there anything you need?”, Jaewon asked, noticing his calm yet weary behavior.

 

“No. I’m good.”

 

“Very well then, I’ll be leaving now sir. Excuse me.”

 

As Jaewon left him alone with a box full of his things, he gradually stands up to check on it. One by one, he got his stuff out.

 

Can she really be still mad?

 

He can’t help but ask questions to himself when Seri still didn’t show up. He tried brushing the thought away thinking that she could only be spending time with halmeoni. Sorely going back on bed with his laptop and a few folders with him, Chanyeol tries to keep himself busy.

 

Is she really not going to check on me?, he asked himself while he typed with his bruised fingers.

 

Seeing his wounds, a rushing thought comes to his mind. They haven’t been cleaned yet.

 

If I shower now, she’s sure to come back and clean them.

 

He abruptly got on his feet opening the door to tell the helper there that he was going to take his shower. He orders her to come tell Seri about it before closing his door back, heading to the bathroom.

 

When he finished, he opens the door still drying his hair, presuming Seri to come anytime. He dresses with much effort due to his still aching muscles even in a simple shirt and sweat pants.

 

“Where’s Seri?”, he asked when he saw a house helper fixing his bed.


 
**

 

 

Small drops of the rain fall silently on the window as Seri watched the wind blow calmly outsid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter