Kim Jung Shik

To the Moon

You handed out the bottled water, flinching with every brush to your arms or shoulders. "Aren't you VIXX's new manager?" One of the fangirls asked you, talking over Hyuk who was talking with the microphone. VIXX was having a talk show or whatever with the fans. First time I've ever heard of that. And since it was so hot, you were told to get rid of the extra waters, so you gave them to the fans instead. But they were too close for your comfort.

You didn't respond and gave up trying to hand water out, letting them just grab it from the cooler instead. "Yeah, she is. N saved her a couple of days ago before the concert." 

"You two speak Korean?" You smiled at the girls. 

"We're from Korea. We came here to see VIXX." 

What die-hard, rich fans they are. One of them grabbed onto your wrist and you flinched. "What are you doing?" You asked almost instinctively. 

"We were just moving you out of the way before you got ran over." One of them smiled at you. "You don't like being touched, do you? I can understand." 

She let go quickly, grabbed her water, and the two went off. Once all the waters were gone, you dragged the empty cooler back out of the stage room and all the way around to the back stage door. You didn't use to flinch whenever someone touched you but ever since the incident with your stalker, you've been paranoid, to say the least.

Even the simplest touch to the wrist, arm, or shoulder sent you into a slight panic and made you flinch. That day when it happened, you thought nothing of it and thought it would pass as you forgot about it. But instead, it just left you extremely paranoid about everyone. 

"____!" The manager called, jogging over to you. "They're almost done, do you want to drive them back to the hotel? Since this is their last full day here, they have nothing else scheduled."

"Don't they have a photoshoot though?" 

"Tomorrow." He corrected. "Tomorrow before we leave for Korea. I trust you to take over the rest of the time here. Take the boys where ever you want afterwards, I'm going to go finish my job in my hotel room. Call if you need anything." 

You nodded and watched him exit backstage before looking back at the boys, who were saying their goodbyes. Hakyeon was the first one to exit the stage and the rest followed quickly, excited to get out of here after a long 3 hours talking and being on stage, of course an intermission between. 

They finished off the waters they had and threw them away, Hakyeon making his way over to you. "Were you bored without me?" He teased almost immediately. "Was it fun?"

"Totally." You mocked him in return. "The manager said you have nothing else to do today so take it as you wish." 

"Do you want to go on a date?" Hakyeon winked at you, his smile just melting your heart all over again. 

"A date? Where?"

"Hmm... We can eat sushi again."

"It's always sushi with you." You mumbled, nodding. "But I like sushi." 

"Hey, do you remember those little gifts we gave each other a long time ago?" Hakyeon suddenly brought up the topic out of no where. "The ring and the necklace?" 

You nodded again. "Yeah but why bring them up?"

"You never wear your necklace." He narrowed his eyes at you, holding up his hand. "But I still wear the ring. How unfair is that?"

"I didn't throw it out or lose it, I promise. I just keep forgetting to put it on." You sighed. "Necklaces are a pain." 

"Then should I get you a ring?" Hakyeon pouted. "A cheap one and have it cheekily engraved to display my name?" 

"Yah, I only did that so you'd remember me when we went our seperate ways." You crossed your arms to your chest. "If you remember correctly, you're the one that didn't want to see me after our first meeting and then suddenly kept trying to get me back in Seoul."

He chuckled, throwing an arm around your shoulders. You flinched slightly, Hakyeon noticing. "Did that hurt you? Are you weaker than I thought?" 

You shook your head. "It's nothing, don't worry about it." It'll be nothing as time passes. I'm just a little paranoid, that's all. It's nothing to worry Hakyeon about. 

Jaehwan came over. "Ms. Prettylady? When are we leaving?" He batted his eyes at you. 

"When I say so." You shrugged Hakyeon's arm off your shoulder. "Which is now because I'm bored. You're finished up here, right?"

When the two of them nodded then you did as well and led them to the van, letting the rest of the boys come out on their own. 

I haven't gotten much of a chance to see Tokyo. I'm so taking this chance to drag Hakyeon around.

--

"What the hell is this?" You spat, covering your mouth immediately. 

Hakyeon stared at you, shocked, for a moment before laughing loudly and taking the object from your hands. "It's for your face. They say it's supposed to slim out your face but it's total lies." He placed the object back where you grabbed it. "You swore today, that's a first." 

"I didn't mean it." You giggled, following Hakyeon as he moved out of that store and into another along side it. "Why do they sell it if it's a lie?"

"Why do they advertise medicine that doesn't always work?"

"Good point." You nodded slowly, taking in all the clothes.

The two of you were in a shop center type thing. Multiple, different stores connected to each other but all selling different things. It was quite cool, actually. The two of you had eaten before you decided to come to this area, which was probably a good idea because that meant you didn't have to watch how much you spent for food. But so far, you two haven't bought anything anyways. 

Hakyeon stopped and glanced at you, causing you to stop as well. "Why do you keep looking at me?" You mumbled. 

He shrugged. "Why not?" He reached out and touched a grey sweater. "Do you like this?"

"It looks exactly like the one you wore yesterday. I don't want to match with you." 

He let it go and moved on. "I'm just trying to figure your style out. You dress cutesy a lot but you also dress like you don't care half the time." 

"Yah, what's that supposed to mean?" 

He chuckled and stopped to look at another sweater. "Do you even like sweaters?" 

"Yeah but it's Summer right now, why would I wear a sweater?"

"It still gets cold at night." He pouted, moving back towards the exit of the store. 

"Hakyeon-ah, do you want to buy couple rings?" You latched onto his arm. "You can get rid of that horrible ring and get a new one. And I'll even match you." 

He twisted the ring on his finger and nodded. "Let's do that, but I'm not getting rid of this ring."

"But it's not even worth keeping."

"Yes it is." He spoke quickly, not giving you room to insult your gift again and led you down the sidewalk a ways, searching for a jewelry store. 

"Aren't you hot?" You sighed, letting go of his arm. "Wearing a hoodie in the sun doesn't sound very pleasant." 

"It's not that hot." The two of you finally found one and entered it, Hakyeon moving around the room with one thing on his mind. 

Why is he so eager to keep that ring? We're getting a new one anyways. I literally just bought that at a common market and had them scratch my name in it. 

You saw his phone light up in his back pocket, since it was on silent, he never realized it. So, you went up and took it from his pocket, answering the call that caused it to light up. "Hello? This is _____." Hakyeon glanced at you briefly and went back to browsing rings, an employee helping him browse and asking questions. 

"____? Where's Hakyeon?" It was Wonsik. 

"He's looking at something. Why is it you always call when we're on a date?" 

"Have you seen the news lately? Hakyeon is gaining a lot of attention for saving you from the stalker at the hotel and a few reporters have been following the two of you around. They have shots of you and Hakyeon. People are getting suspicious." He warned. 

"What, really?" You glanced around the store, your eyes catching a woman with a camera hiding near the entrance. When you met her gaze she bolted. "Never mind, I believe you. Are some posted already?" 

"The only ones they posted were of you and Hakyeon eating together. But I just know they're still following you two. You can't let them suspect anything more or else the director will start questioning you and Hakyeon will get involved in another scandal." 

"Thanks for the warning." You hung up and went back over to Hakyeon. "Hey, let's do this some other time, okay?" 

"Why?" He took the phone back and slipped it into his pocket. "Who was it?"

"Wonsik. Apparently reporters have been following us this whole time. They posted pictures of us eating and I just scared one off by mistake." You stepped back from him, not wanting to stand too close. 

He sighed and nodded. "Just pick out a ring set and we'll go back to the hotel." 

You glanced at the rings grouped in twos. They were all so pretty. You went with a simple silver ring band with little gem stones engraved in them, the band twisting a bit where there was the stones. It was cute and not too girly. 

He smiled and nodded, pointing to the ring set. You let Hakyeon check out and waited for him outside the jewelry shop, eyeing around you. I wonder if they saw Hakyeon coming out of the hotel room so that's how they knew it was him. No... It was probably me who gave it away this time. I've been announced as the new manager publically now and then to have someone who covered their hair and their face with fake glasses walking around me all the time probably gave it away. Dating in public is just a hard thing to do now. 

Hakyeon joined you, putting the ring set in his jacket pocket and setting off with you following behind him. The two of you were both cautious and decided not to talk to each other the whole way to the van. 

As the crowd thickened, more and more people kept brushing into your arms, making you feel extremely vulnerable and uncomfortable. But, for Hakyeon's sake, you hid it as well as you could and pushed on in order to keep Hakyeon in view. 

You glanced behind your shoulder for a moment to see the woman you saw outside the jewelry shop following you guys. You ignored it though. The two of you were just walking and you were even walking behind him so there was no way they could take it from an angle to make it look different. 

Hakyeon veered off the sidewalk and onto another sidewalk that led you to where the van was parked. When the two of you reached the van and got inside, you both let out an annoyed sigh. You started the van and peeked out the tinted windows to find the woman gone. 

"Reporters are annoying." You mumbled. 

Hakyeon pulled the ring set out of his pocket and placed your ring in your palm while putting on his. "Agreed."

You slipped the ring on and smiled. "How'd you know my ring size?" 

He shrugged, playfully. "Magic." 

"How much was it? I'll pay you back half." 

"It wasn't very expensive." He shook his head, twisting his new ring like he did his older one earlier. "Look, now I have two." 

You rolled your eyes and backed the van out of the parking spot and steered onto the rode. "Why do you want to keep the old one so bad?" 

"Because I like it." He whined. "Why do you keep insulting it?" 

"Because it's no good!" 

"To you." He glanced out the window. "It must be the hour where everyone in Tokyo goes shopping. Look at all these people." 

"It's like Seoul. It's what happens in cities." You mocked him, playfully of course. "At least the traffic isn't as bad though since everyone seems to be walking." 

"____-ah. You can't even look at other guys now, okay?" Hakyeon joked. 

"I can't help it that I look at guys, you know." You played along. "Especially Taekwoon. Jaehwan is starting to look better now as well, now that I think about it." 

"____-ah!" Hakyeon laughed, leaning his head against the window and gazing at you. "You're a difficult person."

"You're just now realizing this?" You mumbled. "Don't look at me like that. Sit normally. I'm trying to drive!" 

"Then drive."

"You're just asking for an accident." You nodded. "You staring at me isn't an easy thing to ignore, you know." 

He moved slightly and pulled his phone out of his pocket, answering it as it had apparently been ringing. "Yes?" 

Could it be Wonsik again? Is he telling Hakyeon about new pictures that they caught us with? Is it his manager yelling at him? Did the director figure out that I'm false? 

"Yeah, we're heading back to the hotel anyways. We'll pick it up. What?" Hakyeon gave an odd look as he reacted to whatever they were saying. "Yeah, sure, whatever. Just tell him to find his own way back to the hotel, we're not driving all the way over there. How'd he even get there?" Did one of the boys get lost or something? That would hilarious... "Ah, well, he can get back the same way he got there then. I'm hanging up, you guys owe me and ____ money." 

When Hakyeon hung up, you spoke quickly. "What are we spending money on and who's lost?" 

"Jaehwan got lost." Hakyeon chuckled, putting his phone back into his pocket. "And the kids want food, so, we'll just go get take out for them." 

You nodded. "Do you know where one is?" 

"Do you remember where our venue was for the concert?"

"Yeah."

"Go there and then I'll lead you the rest of way, it isn't far." 

Jaehwan got lost? How did he manage that? Who knows, it's Jaehwan we're talking about. Anything stupid is possible with him. 

--

You fanned yourself with papers as you sat in one of those foldable chairs, watching the boys do their own poses for photoshoots. When it came to Hakyeon alone, you found yourself engulfed in what he was doing, which was normal considering that you liked him. You even shocked yourself about how mesmerized you still were when Jaehwan had his own photoshoot. The photoshoot itself was boring and way too hot in this cramped building. 

When I get back to Seoul, I need to get Ha Yi to help me buy a phone. You suddenly remembered your mother. Should I go see her? I don't want to go alone but if I go with Ha Yi, she'll push me into somethings I won't want to do or say to her. Should I take Hakyeon? Would he reject? Probably... Enough people know that he's by my side and just adding another, especially someone you have no trust in what-so-ever, might be a bad idea. But you couldn't just go alone. It was either go or take Hakyeon. Well, maybe Hyun Shik would go... No, not Hyun Shik. I don't want to drag him into my life drama, plus, I haven't even talked to him since the whole moving to Seoul thing. I just don't know. Maybe I just won't go at all... I mean, I don't even know why I'm considering it. I shouldn't. 

You snapped back into reality and watched as the boys did poses all together now. They were all so cute... "____." The manager approached you, sitting in the foldable chair beside you. 

"Yeah?"

"The director just called for you. Is there a reason why you're not answering your phone?" 

"Ah, I don't have one anymore. It broke and won't turn on." You frowned. "Is it something bad?" 

"It's not as bad as you might be thinking but I would say it's not good." He frowned as well. "The pictures of yours and Hakyeon's date are circling about the internet. Of course it's only pictures of the two of you getting in the van together and eating sushi but he was concerned when a new picture popped up of you and Hakyeon in a jewelry store. It shows Hakyeon looking at rings and you standing near the entrance on the phone. It's nothing serious and the fans are a little skeptical but he wants to confirm that you were just accompanying him there." 

You felt your heart race. I know he said it didn't mean much but the fact that reporters are trying to prove our relationship is getting scary... "When should I call him back? Has he talked to Hakyeon yet?" 

"Yeah, he's called Hakyeon. Hakyeon shut down his ideas of course but he wants to double check with you as well." The manager offered a quick smile. "Don't worry. You've been acting like a manager lately so you're not completely false." 

"Completely..." You emphasized the word. "But I still am false." 

"Well, yeah." He nodded. "You can call him before we leave Seoul, alright? I'll loan you my phone instead of Hakyeon's that way any suspicion is gone in that regard." 

You nodded and thanked him, watching him return to his spot beside the photographer. Well, no more public dates. I knew this would happen eventually, Hakyeon is always too careless. But so am I so I can't completely blame him. 

I just really hope we can continue our relationship like this and throw off the director... At least a little, anyways. 

--

"Are we almost there yet?" You whispered to Hakyeon, careful since all the members were asleep. 

You had set off for Seoul around 9pm and was only an hour into the flight. The members of course were tired so they slept and so that left you and Hakyeon up. 

"It's only been an hour." He mumbled, shifting his position so that you could use his lap as a pillow and stretch out a bit. "We still have at least an hour to go. Why? Got a hot date in Seoul waiting for you?" 

"No." You looked at Hakyeon. "Hey... I was considering this early but could you go see my mother with me? It doesn't matter the day... She called the first day we were in Tokyo after you left to sleep and said that she needs to talk to me about something. I really don't want to go and I don't feel like I should go but... For some reason, I feel like if I don't go, I'll regret something later. I don't want to take Hyuk Shik or Ha Yi with me and I don't want to go." You made sure not to raise your voice above a whisper, Hakyeon doing the same thing. 

He ran his fingers through your hair and nodded. "I'll go. I probably shouldn't go but I want to go." 

"If you'll get in trouble then don't go. I just barely got the director off of our backs when I called him at the airport in Tokyo." 

"I won't, don't worry about it." 

"Are you tired? You should sleep. What if you get sick again?" You changed the subject. 

"I'm a little tired but I don't want to leave you up alone." He shifted again, sinking a little bit in his seat and still keeping him as a pillow for you. 

"Are you comfortable at least? I'll go to sleep but I don't want to go to sleep like this if you're uncomfortable." 

"Planes are always uncomfortable." He smiled. 

"Okay, whatever you say." You sighed, poking his nose. "I'm going to try and sleep then. You too, okay?" 

He nodded and you closed your eyes, trying to actually fall asleep but you couldn't. Thoughts of your mother just kept circulating around in your head.

"_____-ah, why don't you call your coach and get him to sign the slip for you to play in a higher soccer league?" Mother smiled at you a crossed the dinner table as you stuffed ramen into your mouth. 

"Mom, do you think I could play a higher league? Dad says that soccer won't get me into college and that I should study more." You mumbled around your food. "I don't know if I want to play soccer anymore."

"It'd be a shame if you quit but your father is right, you should work on your grades so that you can go to a good college." She sighed, sliding you a glass of milk. "You shouldn't eat ramen all the time, you'll get sick." 

"Don't worry so much." You stuffed more ramen into your mouth and sipping the milk before speaking again. "Where is dad? Isn't he supposed to be out of work?" 

She smiled. "He's out buying you a birthday gift. You know what it is already, don't you?"

You thought for a moment before shaking your head. "I have no idea what he's going to get me. Is it something cool?" 

She covered and stood up, heading back into the kitchen. 

"Mom! You have to tell me now! You jerk!" You yowled, finishing off your meal and throwing them into the kitchen sink. "What is it? My birthday is tomorrow, I'll probably forget what it is when you tell me." 

"You're going to be 14, start acting like it!" She giggled, kissing your cheek. "You're growing up." 

"You're avoiding the subject. It better be cool or I'm going to run away!" You tried to stay serious but you couldn't help but giggle when she did. That's one thing you loved about your mother. Her smile and her laugh was contagious. Your dad always said that you reminded him of your mother because you had similar laughs. 

"____-ah, when you get a boyfriend that you want to marry when you're older, you have to tell me first, okay?" She began to wash the dishes in the sink, you helping her out a bit. "I have to be the first one. Run to me and scream your head off about how much you love this boy and want to marry this boy. I won't accept the marriage unless you do just that, okay?" 

You nodded. "If I get married."

"If?"

"I don't want too. Having boyfriends is already annoying, could you imagine marrying one willingly?" 

"You think that now but once you meet someone you love dearly, you'll want to marry them as quick as possible so that they can't run off. You'll want to become like glue to them." 

"Glue? Eww!" 

"You get the meaning." She chuckled once more. 

That year was the year you got Ozzie, the only dog you've ever had in your life. It was the best gift you have ever gotten for a birthday.

But, yes... Your mother and you use to have a relationship like this... It seems like forever ago... How could such a relationship grow toxic though? 

Easy question; Death of a loved one. Especially when it's the other party's fault. 

You snapped back out of your memories and became aware of Hakyeon's hand resting on your cheek. You peeked open your eyes to see that he was asleep with his head resting against the wall. "You think that now but once you meet someone you love dearly, you'll want to marry them as quick as possible so that they can't run off." 

For once... Your mother's words from the past seemed to make more sense. 13 year-old you didn't know what love was but... The you now is in love. You were doubtful if you actually loved Hakyeon the way he seemed to love you and you didn't, for some reason, want to admit that you were. But looking at him now and thinking of your mother's words, you realize what he actually is to you. 

It's too soon to even consider now, I get that but... Will we stay together long enough to consider marriage? Would I be able to marry him even if we did? He's an idol... I'm sure he wouldn't want to be married while he was still a member of VIXX... 

____, stopping thinking about that. It's way too soon to be consideringt that. You only just started dating a week or so ago. 

With a final smile, you closed your eyes again. 

You never actually did fall asleep. You just stayed awake and thought about your life up until now basically.

--

"______-ah!" Ha Yi screamed as you walked through the doorway around midnight, her sudden embrace causing you to drop your suitcase and flinch a little. "Oh my god I missed you! And then you stopped answering your phone and I saw the media where Hakyeon saved you from some creepy stalker guy and then I saw pictures of you and Hakyeon in Tokyo and I grew worried because someone might catch on to your relationship... Oh my god!" 

"Ha Yi-ah, calm down!" You laughed, pushing her off of you only to have her cling to you again. "I didn't answer because my phone was broken." 

You pushed her away again and reached into your pocket, pulling out the cracked phone. "Oh! Wow... What did you do to it?" She grabbed it and stared at it, shocked. "I hope you won't ask me to helpyou buy a new one." 

You pouted and hung your head. "Ha Yi-ah... I need a phone..." 

"_____-ah! How dare you leave me for a week and then come back and beg me to buy you a phone! Are you crazy?" She growled, putting your broken phone on the coffee table in the living space. 

"Only a little." You slipped off your shoes and dragged your suitcase into your room, storing it into a corner before coming back out and sitting on the couch beside Ha Yi. "You bought curtains for the window. Nice!" 

"Do you like them?" She smiled again. 

"Yeah. Aren't you tired though? It's nearly 1 in the morning." You yawned. 

"I am very tired but I couldn't sleep knowing that my wife would be coming home tonight!" She hugged you again before you pushed her off. 

"Yah, you're being so clingy right now!" You scolded her but then hugging her when you felt bad. "I missed you too, Ha Yi-ah! You would've loved Tokyo." 

"Don't rub it in, you know that I've always wanted to go there." She sighed, pushing you away this time. "Did you and Hakyeon have fun yet? Did you two kiss yet?" 

"We kissed before we even left for Japan..." The words slipped out and by the time you realized it, it was too late. 

Ha Yi glared at you. "AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO TELL ME?" 

"Calm down!" You blushed a little. "It wasn't even that deep of a kiss. It was just a little peck... That lasted a little longer than a quick peck. It was a long peck." 

"A long peck? What the hell is that?" She burst out laughing. "Whatever, pecks don't count. But it's a step." 

You nodded. "I'm going to bed." You stood and went to your room, jumping onto your bed and pulling out your laptop from underneath your bed, searching Hakyeon's name for any new scandal pictures. 

It showed a picture of you and Hakyeon walking out of the jewelry shop with the title 'Is the new manager N's mystery girl?' and of course there was the space that described their thoughts that everyone seemed to believe with a space for comments below. 

"A new manager was announced around the time N announced his feelings for mystery girl, this seems suspicious for sure."

"They came out of a jewelry shop in Japan? Suspicious!" 

"I'm willing to bet my life she's mystery girl." 

"I want N to be my husband, no fair! I hate her already."

"She's not even pretty enough to be mystery girl so it's not hurt. N wouldn't date someone so ugly." 

"Ugly?" You grumbled. "I didn't think I was ugly. You're all just jealous." 

You scrolled through the hundreds of comments, all saying that it wouldn't be you because you weren't pretty enough. This picture doesn't even imply anything, how can they just suspect me like this? 

You closed your laptop and changed into your pjs, switching off the light and crawling into bed. 

People are so judgemental... I am not ugly! 

--

Ha Yi burst into your room, waking you up with her loud voice. "____-ah! Your lover is calling for you! Wake up!"

"Ha Yi-ah..." You groaned, stretching out your limbs and yawning. 

"Come on, it's noon already! Your lover has called twice already and I had to deny him the first time because it was too early. He's waiting for you!" Ha Yi handed you her phone and skipped out of the room.

Lover? Why use such a name...? It makes me nervous to hear that. "___-ah?" His voice woke you up completely. "I didn't mean to wake you up." 

"Hakyeon, you meant it, don't lie." You sat up, combing your hair down with your fingers.

"I can tell you're up now, you're already calling me out on things." He chuckled, his voice still perfect even though it was through the phone. "Do you want to use today to see your mother? We have today off, I'm guessing you knew that since you slept until noon." 

"What if I don't want to see her?" You got up, making your bed sloppily and started sorting through your drawers to find clothes. "Why don't we just go on a date? We can go to a karaoke bar in Suwon or go to Namson tower. I've never been there."

"Too bad, we're going to see your mom. It'll be good for you to see her." He sighed. "___-ah, you shouldn't hate your mother like this." 

"If you're going to be like this then I'll leave you behind." You sighed, picking a bright yellow skirt and a white tanktop to wear for today. "Anyways, I'll meet you outside."

"Oh, okay!" He sounded shocked. 

"Why so shocked?" 

"Nothing! See you." He hung up and you ran Ha Yi's phone back to Ha Yi and then went back into your room to get dressed. 

Why is he so excited to go see someone I resent with all of my heart? 

You got dressed quickly, brushed your hair out, brushing your teeth, and grabbed your purse, slinging it on your waist. "Ha Yi-ah, Hakyeon and I are going to Suwon!" You called as you slipped your shoes on at the door. "I'll be home later."

"Bring me home food!" She called as you extied the apartment, running to the elevator. 

I want to beat Hakyeon there! I'd be weird if he beat me. 

You arrived on the first floor and stared in shock at the reporters sitting in the lobby. Why are they here? Don't they know VIXX's dorm is a crossed the street? 

You walked out of the elevator and towards the door. The reporters watched you, a few snapping pictures and only one actually approaching you. 

"You're VIXX's new manager right?" She smiled, snapping more pictures. "Are you N's mystery girl? What's your relationship with him?" 

"I don't want to answer you." You sighed, holding onto the hand with the ring on it to hide the ring. "I'm just a manager." 

You pushed away from her and was happy that none of them followed you. What the hell? One picture and reporters are now hanging out in my lobby? The media is no joke.

You went a crossed the street just as Hakyeon made his way out of the dorm building. He waved and smiled. "____-ah, you look cute today." 

You blushed a little and smiled. "Let's just go to my mother's house. I'm in a good mood right now but I promise you I won't be very happy afterwards." 

He led you behind the dorm and let you drive the van. "Look, I bought a gift for your mother."

He held up a dark pink scarf. "Why'd you buy her a gift?" You grumbled. 

"It's not a big gift." He ignored you and put the scaf back into the bag on the floor of the van. "I didn't know what she liked so I just got her a scarf. Does she wear them?"

"How would I know?" You started the van and took off. 

He gave you a sad look and then watched out the window, letting you collect your thoughts before you went to see your mother.

A gift? Why? She doesn't deserve one from him.

-- 

"You know what, I suddenly feel like this is a bad idea." You mumbled, trying to run away from the front door but Hakyeon blocking you. 

"Too late." He knocked on the door and gave you a satisfied smirk. 

"I hate you." You grumbled, turning as the door opened to reveal your mother's pleased face.

She's aged so much... 

"Oh, ____, who's this?" She smiled at Hakyeon. "He looks familiar." 

You grabbed Hakyeon's arm and pulled him into the house, seating yourself on the couch with Hakyeon beside you. Your mother joined the two of you with glasses of water, setting them on the coffee table. She sat a crossed from you two, smiling at Hakyeon. 

"Cha Hakyeon." He smiled in return. 

"Cha Hakyeon... Yes, I know you." She chuckled, embarrassed. "You're the guy who the media is going crazy over right now."

"_____-ah is a manager for VIXX now." Hakyeon explained. 

"She doesn't need to know about my life." You mumbled. "She already knows I'm a manager. Details don't matter."

Your mother's smile disappeared and she nodded slowly. "Well, Hakyeon, I don't mind if you stick around here. It seems like you two are close." She gazed at the couple rings you two had on. "I'm glad that you two seem to be happy."

"Oh, yeah!" Hakyeon widened his eyes. "I forgot it!" He stood up and hurried back outside. 

You glared at your mother. "What do you want?"

"Is he your boyfriend?" She asked simply. "The couple rings are cute. When did you get them?"

"Stop meddling." You sighed, crossing your legs in a pretzel like position on the couch. "What did you call me here for?"

She sighed sadly. "I wanted to have you meet someone. He'll be here any minute."

"He?" You narrowed your eyes at her. "Who's 'he'?" 

"Kim Jung Shik." The corner of twitched. "He's my husband of two years." 

"Husband? You got remarried after what you did to dad?" 

"I didn't do anything to your father and you know that." She frowned. 

"No, you're right. You didn't do anything and that's why he's not here anymore." You smiled. "At least you acknowledge what you've done." 

"____-ah, Jung Shik is a nice man. You'll love him once you get to know him."

"Wait, wait." You paused, your heart pounding. "You got married right?" You glanced on at her ring. "2 years ago... Do you have a job?" Maybe my stalker knew more about my mother than I did... 

"Yeah, I got a job downtown." She gave you a confused look. "Why?" 

Hakyeon came back in the room and sat beside you, setting his gift on the coffee table and pushing it towards her. 

She got distracted and looked at Hakyeon. "What's this?" 

"I bought you a gift." He chuckled nervously. "I can't date your daughter and not give you a gift."

"Oh my, thank you." She flushed a little. "Do you mind if I take a look later?"

"It's your gift, look at it whenever you want." He shook his head as she placed it on the floor beside her feet. "I didn't mean to interrupt." 

You shook your head and asked your mother more questions. "Do you have a co-worker that talks to you a lot?" 

She nodded. "I have quite a few co-workers I talk a lot with." 

"Any that you talk about Ha Yi and I with?" 

She shrugged. "I talk about you two a lot. Why?" 

"I have a stalker. He called me to China that one time, Hakyeon thinks it was to see if I'd listen to him, and then he followed us to Japan. He told me that you talked often of me, Ha Yi, and father and he ended up trying to kidnap me if it weren't for Hakyeon." You explained, grabbing a pillow and hugging it as you spoke. You mostly just did that so you had something to hold on to while you talked. "I didn't believe him at first because he started talking about father like he was alive but now I'm starting to think that he mistaked your current husband for my father." 

"Kidnap you?" She gasped. "One of my co-workers did?" 

"Apparently you peeked an interest in him of me and now he's after me." You stared at her. "Why would you talk about me like we're on good terms? Especially Ha Yi." 

"Of course I'd talk about my daughter." She shook her head. "How would I know he'd come after you? He just seemed like an ordinary friend to me." 

You rolled your eyes. "Anyways, what about this new husband of yours? Why should I meet him?" 

"Because he's your step-father. You have to at least have met him once." She sipped her water. 

"No. You might've moved on and forgotten about dad already but I won't." 

"I haven't forgotten about him, ____. Meeting Jung Shik won't cause you to forget your father. No one could forget him." 

"Then how can you move on?" 

"I'm human too, ____. People move on and it's not a bad thing to move on. Your dad would want you to move on and be happy." 

"You don't know what he wants." You snapped. If I meet this Jung Shik then father would be really upset with me... He doesn't want me to forget him, I know it. 

Hakyeon glanced at you blankly as your mother spoke. "____, all he'd want is for you to be happy. And to be happy, you need to move on. You're stuck in the past and you'll never go forward if you don't move on." She sighed. "You can't grieve him forever, he wouldn't want that." 

You ignored her. "I'm not meeting this Jung Shik no matter what you say. Go ahead and keep insulting dad, let him see the true person you are." 

She bit her lip in frustration. "I'm not insulting him. Your father is happy that I was able to move on. Now he just wants you to move on." 

You glanced at Hakyeon but he just nodded, agreeing with her. That ticked you off so you just rolled your eyes and stared at your hands, twisting your ring with annoyance. I can't meet him. Dad wouldn't be happy. But if I don't meet him, Hakyeon will scold me. I can tell. 

"____-ah, you should listen to your mother." Hakyeon whispered to you. "You only have one mother, don't ruin it by blaming her for something out of her control. Try listening to her and hear her out." 

"Why are you siding with her?" You hissed. 

"I'm not siding with anyone." He shook his head. "Just hear her out and meet this man. You'll regret it if you don't." 

"What do you know?" You pushed him away and then smiled. "Yah, how about we go to a karaoke bar? I'm in the mood to drink." 

"No." He spoke quickly. "You're not drinking."

You rolled your eyes again and looked at your mother. I promise I won't stay long, dad. If Hakyeon thinks I should meet him, then I'll just meet him once. There will be no reason for me to ever come back to this house after today so just look away for now, okay? I promise I won't forget you. "Fine, I'll stay. But I'm leaving after I meet him. Hakyeon and I have places to be." 

Hakyeon stared at you blankly again and just shrugged, throwing a smile at your mother. "Not really, she's lying." 

Mother giggled and nodded. "I'm glad that you will at least meet him." 

You nodded. "Yeah, whatever." 

You sat there and hugged the pillow to your chest, resting your chin on the top of it as Hakyeon and your mother talked. Does he just talk to anyone like this? Well, he's an idol, he's probably use to talking to strangers. 

"So, Hakyeon, you're in VIXX, right?" Mother asked him.

"Yes, I'm the leader of VIXX." He nodded. 

"I'm not as young as the people who listen to your band so I'm very glad to just know this." She chuckled. "How'd you meet my ____?" 

"My?" You grunted. 

Hakyeon gave you a disgusted look before speaking again. He gives that look to the boys on film a lot... It's cute and annoying at the same time. "I actually met her online." He admitted. "I told her that I didn't want to meet with her anymore once I met her in person but she ended up dragging me around a mall. She was really ticked off at me for lying to her about who I was online but she got over it eventually and then somehow I became the one that kept wanting to see her." 

"That's adorable." Mother smiled widely. "It must've been a diffcult time for when reporters started catching on to your relationship." Mother glanced at his rings again. "But what's that second one underneath the couple ring?" 

"Ah, this one?" He pointed to the cheap one you gave him. "____ gave it to me after a concert that she saw me in when we first met. She told me that if I could find her after the concert that she'd allow me to keep seeing her. But when I found her, she had this. It's really cheap actually and she had her name cheekily engraved into it. I usually don't wear such things but it was too cute not to." 

You flushed. "Yah, shut up. You don't have to tell her everything." 

Your mother beamed proudly. "I'm glad ____ has someone like you by her side." 

Hakyeon flushed a little and chuckled nervously. "Me too. She's a handful, it takes skill to control her." 

You stared at the front door as it opened, revealing a tall, older man with brownish hair that was cut neatly. He slipped off his shoes and hung up his jacket, catching your gaze as he walked over. 

"Jung Shik, this is my daughter, ____. And this is her boyfriend." Your mother beamed. 

Jung Shik arced his lips into a smile and held out an arm to shake hands with you but you just stared at his hand. Should I take it? Seeing him should be enough, right? "It's nice to finally meet you." His voice was calm and collected as he withdrew his arm and extended it back out to Hakyeon, Hakyeon shaking it easily. "I know you, I've seen you all over the internet, Mr. Cha Hakyeon." 

Hakyeon bowed his head slightly and smiled as well. Hakyeon glanced at you and urged you to shake his hand at least but you refused, watching as Jung Shik sat beside you mother. 

"I won't push you into accepting me. I came from a divorced family, not quite the same as your situation but fairly close. When I first met my step-mother, I wasn't too happy either. It took me years before I could call her my step-mother." He spoke easily as if he was use to speaking to people. "Your mother told me about you and you seem like a very pleasant young lady. I'd love to get to know you if you'd give me the chance." 

You reached out for your water and downed it easily, feeling suffocated. I want to leave. I can't take anymore of this. "I'm stopping by here anymore. This was a one time thing. The only reason I agreed to meet you is because I don't want to fight with Hakyeon." 

Hakyeon hung his head slightly. "That's perfectly understandable." Jung Shik surprised you with his words. "At least see your mother here and there but I totally understand. You don't ever have to accept me if you don't wish it. I'd like it if you did but if you don't, I won't be offended since I've been in your shoes before. It's tough." 

You stared at him with shock. He's taking my side? Someone is actually taking my side in this? Not even Hakyeon took my side but this guy... He took my side easily and without hesitation. 

"Thank you for stopping by, ____-ah." Your mother smiled as you stood, dragging Hakyeon to his feet. "It was nice to meet you Hakyeon. I really like the gift, I peeked a little." 

Hakyeon smiled widely and nodded. "I liked meeting you too." 

Jung Shik stood as well and bowed his head slightly to Hakyeon and you. "It was nice seeing you, ____." 

You nodded hesitantly. Stopping midstride in front of Jung Shik and turned to him. "You'll never be my dad..." You hesitated. "But, you took my side even when this idiot wouldn't." You motioned towards Hakyeon, Jung Shik chuckling while Hakyeon just rolled his eyes. "I find that kind of cool. Thanks." 

"I'll take that as a compliment." Jung Shik smiled once more and you led Hakyeon to the door, the two of you slipping on your shoes. 

"____..." Your mother grabbed your arm gently as you started out the door. 

You flinched away from her violently and shocked her. "What?" 

Hakyeon spoke before she could. "She's sensitive when it comes to people touching her arms." 

"You're my daughter and I didn't even know that..." She frowned. "But, anyways, I hope to hear from you soon, okay? I really missed you and I love you still. Jung Shik and I will be waiting for you with open arms, okay?" 

"Yeah whatever." You turned and left, letting Hakyeon drive this time. You him when you were both in the van. "How did you know I was sensitive to people touching my arms?" 

He frowned at you. "You have such little faith in me, _____-ah." He started the van with a sigh. "I noticed that ever since your stalker grabbed onto your wrists, you've flinched away from everyone. I noticed it when I accidently brushed your hand at the talk event, I noticed it when we were walking away from reporters in the big crowd, I've noticed, trust me."

"It'll pass." You mumbled as he pulled out of the driveway and headed into Suwon more. 

"It's okay to be a little paranoid. I agree, it will pass." 

"Hey, why didn't you take my side?" 

"I told you, I didn't pick a side." He mumbled, his eyes sticking to the road as if someone would be dumb enough to walk out in front of him. "You did really well today, ____. I'm not praising you or scolding you either. I thought you would lose your grip a few times with your mother but you kept it relatively controlled." 

"You're talking like my dad." 

"Sorry." 

"Hey Hakyeon... Thanks for coming with me." You sighed, gazing at him as he drove. "I'm really happy you came. Truth is... If you weren't there, I would've either left before my mother even saw me there or I would've lost control. I wouldn't have been able to stay collected by myself. You being there really helped me." 

He smiled practically from ear to ear and giggled. "You're being all sentimental." 

"I am not. I'm just saying what comes to mind." 

He glanced at you with that stupid smile plastered on his face. "Let's go to a karaoke bar. That sounds like fun." 

"Good, I'm in the mood to drink." 

"No drinking. I'm not fond of drinking." 

"Nor am I but today is a must."

"Too bad." He snickered. "My money, my rules." 

"You're paying? Sweet then no alcohol for me!" You didn't really want to drink anyways. Drinking always reminded you of all the idiots that go out and get drunk everyday, winding up in places they have never even seen before. That didn't interest you.

I wonder if Jung Shik knows what my mother did to my dad? If he knew then surely he wouldn't be together with her... Maybe I should tell him sometime so he can escape while he can. 

But, he has the same name is Tae Hee... Kim Tae Hee... That could be a coincidence. Hakyeon would've recognized her father if that was true. Plus, he never said he had children. 

Many people have the same last name, ____. Don't worry about it.

 

 

So... This one turned out a bit longer than I expected, but hey, that's alright with me! Thursday's update might be a little short because I'm fairly busy this week. I'm even posting this chapter early in the morning instead of at night like usual. XD Anyways, thanks for reading as always and thank you for subscribing! Look forward to Thursday's update! :) ~PandaBiscuit~