China... Taiwan?

To the Moon

 

The two of you were sitting on your couch in the living space. “Could you tell me about Tae Hee now? I’m not angry; it’s perfectly normal for you to have a past lover. I just want to know about her and why you broke up with her.”

“Tae Hee… She went to school with me when we were in high school. She was like a sister to me, I guess… We ended up dating for 6 years. I was in training to become an idol but she always hated that idea because she didn’t think it was possible for me. She always tried to make me quit. She would always say ‘I won’t date someone who is unsuccessful’…”

High School (6 years before debut.)

“Tae Hee!” Hakyeon waved his hand at the short girl who stood on her tiptoes to find him. “Over here, idiot!”

Tae Hee bounded over to Hakyeon with a smiling face. “Hakyeon-ah. Are you still doing stupid training to be an idol?”

“Yah, it’s not stupid.” Hakyeon put an arm around Tae Hee’s shoulders with a wide smile. “Why don’t you believe in me?”

“Because becoming an idol is for people who are talented.” Tae Hee crossed her arms to her chest. “Hakyeon-ah, you don’t have a chance.”

“Tae Hee!” Hakyeon paused, looking at Tae Hee. “Can’t you just play along and make me feel better about it? I have talent so why isn’t it for me?”

“Just be a lawyer.” Tae Hee brushed Hakyeon’s arm off of her shoulder and then smiled. “Lawyer’s are hotter than idols.”

Hakyeon pouted, holding Tae Hee’s hand. “I won’t quit. Just believe in me.”

Tae Hee sighed and nodded. “Fine, don’t quit. I can’t wait to say I told you so when you do down the road.”

“You won’t!” Hakyeon chuckled, walking with her all the way to the school they attended, a stupid smile plastered on his face.

“… The day I was finally recognized as a possible idol and offered to debut with 5 other guys in a group called VIXX, I went straight to Tae Hee to tell her she was wrong and that I finally did it. So…”

2012 

“Tae Hee-ah!” Hakyeon called her cellphone but only being sent to voicemail. “I’m heading over! I made it! I’m just outside the hall!” Hanging up the phone, Hakyeon knocked on the door.

When no one answered, Hakyeon entered the house cautiously. Tae Hee had told him she was at home a few hours ago.

Hakyeon’s eyes fell on Tae Hee, who had stood in alarm at my sudden entrance, an unfamiliar man sitting on the couch next to where she just sat. “Hakyeon-ah!” Tae Hee grew flustered, heading over to Hakyeon. “Why are you here? I thought you were training until later tonight?”

“I wanted to tell you something…” Hakyeon moved his gaze to the man who was getting to his feet. “Who’s he?”

“My friend.”

“Boyfriend.” He corrected. “Who are you?”

Tae Hee froze, glaring at the man. “Boyfriend?” Hakyeon narrowed his eyes at Tae Hee. “Isn’t that what I am?” Anger boiled within Hakyeon.

“Boyfriend?” The man approached Hakyeon. “Are you accusing her of cheating? She clearly said she was single.”

Tae Hee sighed, shakily. “Hakyeon-ah… You can’t tell me you didn’t see this coming.” Tae Hee’s voice shook. “I told you… I don’t date unsuccessful men. I can’t date someone who doesn’t have a future.”

“How long have you been cheating on me?” Hakyeon kept his voice in check and remained as calm as he could. “Is he the only one? What does he do?”

The man looked to Tae Hee, curious as well. “3 years…” Tae Hee stared at her feet. “He’s the only one. He’s a doctor, from Seoul.”

“3 years?” Hakyeon chuckled, darkly. “You’re telling me… The 6 years we’ve been ‘dating’… 3 of them you were unfaithful to me? How many times did you tell me that you loved me and didn’t mean it? Why’d you have to cheat on me? Why not just end it so I don’t have to feel this pain?”

“Hakyeon, I wanted to give you a chance. I do love you just… I can’t love someone with all my heart when they have no future. I told you this and I begged you to just become someone worth something.”

“Someone worth something?” Hakyeon exhaled slowly. “Right… To you, I was worth nothing. Tae Hee, do you know why I came here? Not to just see you, I don’t have time for that but clearly you didn’t mind all these years. But do you know why? I made it. I did it. I’ve been training hard basically my whole life and guess what? I made it. I was given the chance to debut with 5 others in a group called VIXX. ME! I was. A man without a future… Finally became a man with a future.”

“You won’t make it far.” Tae Hee frowned. “Just save yourself the embarrassment.”

“Maybe I won’t but I’ll sure try hard for it. I almost quit so many times for you, now I’m glad I didn’t. How didn’t I realize that you were this sort of person?” Hakyeon turned to leave, Tae Hee speaking first.

“Are we done?”

“Of course we’re done. Don’t even try to contact me. You’ll regret this, I can bet my life on it.” Hakyeon shook his head, leaving the apartment before he exploded on them.

“…Tae Hee ended up breaking up with that doctor she cheated on me with when she saw that VIXX was actual a group and I was the leader of it. Just after our first album was released, she came running back to me…”

“Hakyeon!” Tae Hee ran at Hakyeon with tears and embraced him. “I love you… A day hasn’t gone by that I haven’t thought of you.”

Hakyeon shoved Tae Hee off, Tae Hee falling onto the sidewalk in surprise. “Leave me alone.”

“Hakyeon-ah!”

“Don’t call me that! You don’t deserve it!” Hakyeon growled at her. “How did you even know I was here?”

She pointed at the VIXX van outside the dance hall, picking herself off the ground. “Don’t you miss me? I miss you… I love you still. You love me still, right? It hasn’t been that long! I ended it with the doctor and I paid for what I did to you. I’m truly sorry. I can’t be happy without you.”

“Stop lying.” Hakyeon exhaled slowly. “I’m sick of your lies. I blocked your number and if you keep stalking me like this, I’m going to get a restraining order filed. I’m going to live happy without you.”

“Hakyeon, please…”

“Tae Hee. I want nothing to do with you anymore. You made a mistake and I’m not accepting your apologies. You put me down for years and cheated on me, I’m done with you. I can’t trust you nor do I want too. Just leave, you’ll only embarrass yourself.”

“You can’t live happily without me. All those times you told me you were happy living with me. You told me that we would get married.” Tae Hee swiped at her tears.

Hakyeon felt his heart ache as he shook his head. “I’d be insane if I went back to you. If you meet me somehow in the future, don’t you dare acknowledge me. Only trouble can spawn from you. I’m happy and I’ll continue to be happy.”

“… ‘Hakyeon-ah, you know me. I can’t even bare a person without a future, let alone be with one.’” Hakyeon recited her words. “She told me this all the time and I ignored it because I knew I had at least a chance to prove her wrong. But I didn’t know what was truly behind those words.”

You put your hand on his knee, comforting. “Tae Hee was like that? She sounds like a gold digger… I imagined her, for the short time I even knew of her, as a sweet lover that broke up with you because the two of you were too busy… I never imagined her as this person. She almost prevented you from becoming N, the leader of VIXX, as well… What a horrible woman.” You sighed.  “I’m glad you got around her, even if it hurt you a lot.”

He shook his head as if to clear his mind, his eyes watering slightly from the refreshed pain. “Honestly… I can’t say I’m 100% over her. But I can say that I like you.” He glanced at you. “I feel like… If I’m around you and devote myself to you, I can let go of Tae Hee and like you more. But I’m afraid too. I don’t want to get hurt again and I don’t want to hurt you. It won’t be easy dating me, with the media, the schedules, everything.”

Your heart ached but you pushed it away with a smiled. “I understand. You dated for 6 years and probably knew her long before then, especially if you say she was a close friend of yours. And then breaking it off like that… I can understand.”

“Are you upset?”

“Of course I am, a little.” You agreed, using your thumb to wipe away the tear that strode down his stunning face. “I can see how much it hurts you still. I’m more upset that she hurt you so much.”

He chuckled, turning away from you to hide his face. “Your turn. Tell me about your mother.”

“My mother… Did I even have one?” You joked. “My mother was basically my best friend before my father died. We did everything together. I remember helping her cook dinner for my father before he came home from work…”

First Year of High School

“Mom!” You yowled at your mother as she started dinner.

“Hm?”

“Let’s go to the park and walk Ozzie.” You patted the head of your dog as you held him. “Ozzie wants to see his little girlfriend that meets him everyday.”

“Ozzie can wait.” Mom smiled at you, nodding her head towards the stove. “Stir that for me, please. I’m cutting the vegetables.”

You pouted; putting Ozzie down and watching him waddle away before doing as your mother told. “Hey mom, when I’m older, will you help me go to college?”

“Can’t you get a job? You’re almost of age for that sort of thing.” She hummed as she chopped up the food. “Make sure you stir it gently or else it will taste funny.”

You calmed your stirring and giggled. “Of course I’ll get a job but do you know how much college costs? There’s no way!”

“Of course we’ll help you, dear.” Mom giggled. “Why are you asking me this?”

“Because now you’ve promised.” You smiled at her. “Don’t break it!”

“I won’t.” She nodded, leaning over to kiss you on the cheek. “You’re stirring it wrong again.”

“…She would always joke that I stirred food wrong. The only time where I actually did stir it wrong was when I was angry and I tipped over the pot while stirring.” You giggled a little. “Even though we were that close, we didn’t stay that close as my second year of high school rolled around…”

His Death Day

“______-ah, hurry up!” Mom waved her hand at you from the parked van.

“You drove today?” You spoke with shock, climbing in the backseat and throwing your backpack in the far back of the van. “What’s the rush?”

“It’s my birthday today and your father wants us home before he gets home.” She reminded you.

“Oh yeah! Happy birthday, mom!” You kissed her cheek as she drove down the busy road of Suwon, heading towards the outskirts of the town.

“Sit down and put on your seatbelt.” She warned, you doing as she said because you hate when she gets angry.

You stared out the window with a smile, feeling as if today would be the perfect day to take Ozzie to the park with mom and dad after you ate for mom’s birthday.

A stray cat crossed in the road and you widened your eyes with shock. “Mom! There’s a cat! Be careful!” You yowled, startling your mother who slammed on her breaks.

Without even a moment to react, another car rammed into the back of the van and caused your car to skid off the road and hit a tree.

“_____, are you okay?” Mom asked, frantically.

You rubbed your head and nodded, unbuckling your seat belt and getting out of the van as your mom called the ambulance in case the other driver was hurt.

You trotted over to the other car that lay in the ditch, it’s front all smashed in. You hurried as you saw that the car was smoking slightly.

“Excuse me, are you okay?” You called, reaching the side of the car to see your father’s pained face. “Dad?”

You froze. “Honey, get your mother…” He grunted, the steering wheel pinning him to the seat. “Hurry.”

“I can’t leave you! We have to get you out of there!” You protested as your mom came over, tears b your eyes due to fear.

“Honey…” Mom’s voice shook. “An ambulance is on its way… I’m so sorry, _____ startled me…” She trailed off when the front of the car caught fire.

“Get away from the car!” Father groaned. “Get back, now.”

Your mother and you shook heads, not wanting to leave. “I can’t.” Mom cried.

“Now!” He warned.

Finally, your mother dragged you very far away from his car as sirens were heard down the road. But they weren’t fast enough as father’s car was engulfed with flames and exploded.

“MOM!” You yowled with fear and anger. “He was alive! You left him when he was alive!”

Mom’s face was wet with tears. “He was pinned… I couldn’t have gotten him out if I tried, dear…”

“You liar! He was alive and you left him! Now look…” Your voice faded into a wail of panic.

The rest of the day was hazy to you.

“… It’s my mother’s fault he’s gone.” You fought down the urge to cry. “She could have gotten him out if she tried but she just walked away, defeated before she even tried.” You shook your head. “I don’t remember what happened the rest of that day because of shock. I just know my father was gone and my mother was to blame. I remember telling her that as soon as I could, I would move out. And I did. Right after his funeral, I moved in with Ha Yi and her family until we were old enough to move into our own apartment. I told myself I would never contact my mom again after what she did to my dad.” Hakyeon watched you calmly as you went on. “I went to college for a few years but ended up dropping out because I didn’t have the money to support myself. I was in college to become an English teacher in Korea. I always fancied English.”

“But don’t you think it was also your fault, not just your mother’s? You said he was pinned; you wouldn’t have been able to get him out without tools. You also said you’re the one that screamed about the cat and startled your mother.” Hakyeon spoke smoothly. “I’m not trying to shift the blame to you. I don’t think it’s anyone’s fault. I believe it was just an unfortunate accident. I want to help you reconcile with your mother.”

You shook your head. “I won’t change my mind. My mother killed my father and that’s that.”

Hakyeon nodded. “If you want to believe it that way. But don’t get angry at me if I tell you to give your mother a chance every now and then.” He offered you a smile. “Let’s do this more often, talking I mean. I feel like we can connect more now.”

You nodded in agreement. “When do you have to go back to Seoul?”

“Soon.” His smile faded. “And when I go back, I probably won’t be able to hang out with you for a few weeks. We’re getting ready to release another album.”

“OH! What is it?” You pushed onto another subject. “Tell me!”

He shook his head, bringing his face close to yours and causing your face to grow hot. “You’re still a fan, I can’t spoil everything. It’s unfair to you and other fans.”

“F-fan?” You hesitated, unable to think with him so close to you like this. “I-I’m more than a fan now!” Why is he so close? Is he going to kiss me? …Can he kiss me?

“____-ah, you’re a wonderful person. Call your mother tonight.”

You scowled, pushing his face away. “Hakyeon.”

Hakyeon sighed, glancing at his phone. “I have an hour until I have to go. Let’s do something fun so we can end this date on a good note.”

You stood when he stood. “Like what? I don’t have money and you said you were broke.”

“Want to dance?” He offered, shrugging. “Not like I know how to dance or anything.”

“You’re right, Leo is a much better dancer than you.”

“Yah!”

“I’m kidding.” You giggled, nodding. “Teach me the dance to the chorus of On and On. You know the ‘I need therapy lalalalala therapy’ part.”

Hakyeon burst into laughter, falling back onto the couch. “Should I teach you how to sing, too?”

“HEY!” You swatted his head. “Teach me! It looks silly.”

“And matches you perfectly.”

“What does?”

“The dance and the lyrics.” Hakyeon stood again, chuckling still.

“Oh shut up. You need therapy.” You crossed your arms to your chest. “Teach me, go.”

He stood there, blinking at you like an idiot. “Teach you what?”

“Stop being stupid!”

“What?”

“HAKYEON!” You yowled with frustration. “Teach me the daaance!”

He laughed again. “You expect me to teach you to dance without the music?”

“Yeah, do it.”

“It’d just look weird.” He demonstrated part of the dance from the song and you couldn’t help but giggle even though he looked perfect doing it. “See? It’s just weird.”

“Okay fine, you make a good point.” You ran into your bedroom and came back to Hakyeon with your Bluetooth speaker. “Lucky for you, I happen to be a VIXX fan and have that song.”

Hakyeon smiled at you. “Yes, very lucky for me.”

The two of you played the music loudly and failed miserably at teaching you how to dance for an hour. He grew frustrated every now and then but would soon get over it and try again. You even tripped over his foot once. You just weren’t the dancer and Hakyeon was beginning to accept that.

“Do you have two left feet?” Hakyeon yowled as you tripped once more, still trying to get the one part of the dance done.

“Don’t yell at me!” You whined, plopping yourself on the couch and pausing the song, fanning yourself. “It’s hot. This is too hard.”

“You didn’t even do anything!” Hakyeon pointed out. “I’m accepting defeat, I can’t teach you.”

You pouted. “Let’s try again another time.” You nodded at your phone. “Your hour is up, sadly.”

Hakyeon nodded, slipping on his shoes at the door and waited for you join him at the door.

“Call me when you can, okay?” You sighed, rubbing your arm nervously. “I would say that I’d forget what you look like but you’re everywhere.”

Hakyeon chuckled again and patted your head, ruffling your hair slightly. “I’ll call, ____-ah.”

You were about to respond but stopped when you heard a thump on the other side of the door. Rolling your eyes, you opened the door and heard a thump as the door hit Ha Yi’s head. “Ha Yi-ah…” You sighed, knowing that any chances of getting a kiss were completely gone now.

Ha Yi rubbed her forehead and smiled, awkwardly. “Hey.” She waved at Hakyeon. “I just got here, I promise.”

“Lair.” You and Hakyeon spoke at the same time, chuckling.

“See you, _____-ah.” Hakyeon waved at you and then at Ha Yi before leaving the apartment and heading down the complex stairs.

You yanked Ha Yi inside and shut the door, glaring at her. “You were eavesdropping?”

“You two are so cute…” Ha Yi whined, slipping her shoes off and heading over to the couch. “Did he kiss you?”

“NO! He might of if you weren’t there!”

“You’re not even dating yet. You shouldn’t kiss without dating first.” She pulled out her phone as it buzzed.

“Who’re you texting?”

“Hakyeon.”

“WHAT?”

“We exchanged numbers at the café. He told me that if I told anyone that he’d kill me. I’m assuming that excluded you since you already know of him and have it as well.” Ha Yi smiled. “We’re all friends now. You’re not special anymore.”

You rolled your eyes, plopping back down on the couch beside her. “What are you talking about?”

“Nothing.” Ha Yi closed her phone and stretched. “Let’s eat some ramen!”

“For once… I agree!”

--

You rubbed your eyes as you got out of bed, yawning. “Ha Yi-ah, I don’t work today. Let’s get some food together…” You grumbled as you exited your room and entered hers. “Let’s get…” You stopped when she wasn’t there. “Huh?”

Checking the clock mounted on her wall, you saw that it was almost noon. I slept this late? Sheesh… Was she working? You saw an envelope on her desk in the corner along with a small note.

Yawning once more, you picked up the letter and began reading it.

Hakyeon told me about your mother having cancer and about her being in China. Go to her. I won’t come home until you go be with her. Treasure your mother before you lose her. Don’t make the same mistake I did, okay? Go to China!!! This envelope is money that I’ve been saving to buy a new apartment but I feel like going to see your mother is more important. Hakyeon even pitched in a little. I refused to let him pay it completely. This should get you a plane ticket to China and enough for a taxi fare to the hospital. Though… I talked to Hyun Shik about this hospital in China and had him talk to his brother, Hyun Bin, about the street and he confirmed it’s a street in China and that it is definitely the Chinese area code but Hyun Bin didn’t know there was a hospital there. But he also said that he doesn’t usually visit that street in China so he could be wrong. Hyun Bin said he would meet you at the street if you decide to go. He lives a few hours from the location given to you so make sure to tell Hyun Shik, okay?

You stared at the envelope with a scowl, putting the letter down and rubbing your head with a yawn. Your hair was a mess but you didn’t care since you had nowhere to be.

Should I go? It’s only right to go… Right? I should… Shouldn’t I?

You went back into your room and grabbed your phone from its charging spot on the floor.

To: Yeonie

Yah, you want to die? Take your money back! I’m not going.

To: Ha Yi

Come home! Where are you? Hyun Shik’s? Come take your money! I won’t go. Did you see that? I will not go!

You stared at your phone with surprise as the same number from that Chinese doctor from yesterday called. “Hello? This is _______.”

“Your mother is in critical need for bone marrow.”

“Critical?”

“Since you are her only relative, you are the only one qualified to have a bone marrow transplant.”

“I’m not the only relative though.” You answered with confusion. “And yesterday you just said she collapsed, how can she be in critical need already?”

“You’re the only relative that she left information for.”

“Can I speak to her?”

“I’m calling from my office, Ms.”

“Oh, right, I’m sorry. Is she in really bad shape?”

“Yes, Ms. I’ll hook you up with plane transportation so you can make it here faster if you choose to come.”

You stared at the ground for a while, sighing briefly. “How fast can a plane fly from Korea to China?”

--

“Hello?” You called the doctor’s office number. “I took the plane fair you suggested and I’m on the road. Where is the hospital? I can’t find it?”

The line disconnected before he could answer. “Hello? Hello?” You spoke into the phone, receiving only beeps of a disconnected line. “What in the world…?”

You tapped an elderly ladies shoulder as she passed. “Do you know Korean?” She looked at you funny.

“No Korean.” She spoke in broken English.

“Wait, English? You know?” You spoke in broken English as well. Your English didn’t have time to improve since you were only in college a few years but it was still pretty good from all those lessons in high school.

“Little.” She shrugged. “Lost?”

“Hospital. I need hospital.”

“Hospital? Which?”

“_____ hospital.”

She gave you a funny look and shook her head. “Sorry, I don’t understand.” And she walked away, ignoring your pleas for her to stop. How could she not understand?

You pulled at your hair, frustrated. Every person you asked either couldn’t understand you or had no idea what you were talking about.

You tapped another should of a younger lady. “English? Hospital? Where?”

“No English.” She shook her head and continued down the sidewalk like the other person.

“Me either…” You sighed, pulling out your phone.

To: Ha Yi

I went to China. I told Hyun Shik to tell his brother. I told him right when I landed so if he lives far it’ll be a while. But I don’t understand, no one seems to know of a hospital and I’ve searched this entire street, block even, for a hospital. I can’t find it.

From: Ha Yi

Look it up on maps. You probably just over looked it. *wink*

“Over looked it my left foot.” You grumbled, opening the maps app and typing in the address.

It loaded a second before saying ‘no matches’. What? You took out the Chinese area code and just typed in the street name and the hospital name. After loading, it took you all the way to Taiwan.

You froze. It can’t be… You exited the map and opened Ha Yi’s contact.

To: Ha Yi

When I type it with the Chinese area code, it says no matches. When I type it without the Chinese area code, it takes me to Taiwan. The street I am on and the street shown on the Taiwan path are very similar but different by one character. Do you think this is false? Why would they lead me to China with a Taiwan hospital? How did they know my mother’s name and my number?

From: Ha Yi

False? It can’t be. Hyun Bin would have told us it was a Taiwan hospital.

To: Ha Yi

He did say that he didn’t know there was a hospital here. There’s only one way to check…

You opened your mother’s contact and called her, her voice completely surprise. “____?”

“Where are you?” You were panicking slightly.

“I’m at home. Is there something the matter, ____?”

“Home? In Suwon?”

“Where else? Honey, are you okay?”

Your heart completely stopped and you hung up, biting your lip. It was all false. My mother isn’t dying and I’m stuck in China. I believed that stupid doctor and flew here without any luggage or extra money… I’m so stupid… How could I trust a stranger like that and get myself all worked up over that woman?

To: Ha Yi, Yeonie

YAH! YOU TWO! HOW COULD YOU FORCE ME TO GO TO CHINA?!?!?! THIS WAS A SCAM!

From: Ha Yi

Yah, how could we know?

From: Yeonie

Scammed? You brought clothes and money, right?

From: Ha Yi

Of course she didn’t. She rushed out of Korea like it was no one’s business.

From: Yeonie

Kekekeke

To: Ha Yi, Yeonie

YAAAAAAH! I’LL KILL YOU BOTH!

From: Ha Yi

How, exactly? I do believe you’re in China.

From: Yeonie

I believe Ha Yi is correct. We are in no threat.

To: Ha Yi, Yeonie

*sigh* You guys… You should be helping me get back!

From: Yeonie

What can I do?

From: Ha Yi

I gave you all my money for that plane ticket! Let’s ask Hyun Shik.

To: Ha Yi, Yeonie

NO NOT HIM!

*Ha Yi has added Hyunnie to the group chat*

To: Ha Yi, Yeonie, Hyunnie

I swear…

From: Yeonie

Hyunnie… -_-

From: Ha Yi

Oh look at that, he does get jealous.

From: Hyunnie

_____? Are you okay?

To: Ha Yi, Yeonie, Hyunnie

Oh look, someone cares! Hyunnie! Get your brother to hurry up! I’ve been scammed.

From: Yeonie

Boo-hoo! I’m leaving, I’m busy.

*Yeonie has left the group chat*

From: Hyunnie

Is Yeonie HaJoon?

From: Ha Yi

Yes.

To: Ha Yi, Hyunnie

Is Hyun Bin’s number still the same? I still have his number in my phone from high school.

From: Hyunnie

Yes. How come you saved his but not mine? ;_;

From: Ha Yi

Ha! HA!

*Ha Yi has left the group chat*

To: Hyunnie

What in the world is she laughing at?

From: Hyunnie

Me. Hehe. Hyun Bin is on his way. He lives 2 hours from that location and he said you called him an hour ago. Kill some time; he’ll help you get back. After all, he grew rich when he moved to China after graduation.

To: Hyunnie

He’s RICH?

*Hyunnie has left the group chat*

“What sort of group chat is this if I’m the only one in it?” You grumbled at your phone, deciding to walk into a nearby bookstore and sit in the back of the store against the wall.

From: Yeonie

Tell me when Hyun Bin finds you. I won’t be able to answer but at least I will know that you’re not lost anymore.

You smiled like an idiot at your phone. This whole scam thing really ticked you off but at least you knew someone was in this country to save you.

From: BinBin

Where are you? I’m almost there.

You giggled at his name. Oh his nickname… I totally forgot I set it to that. I’m glad he saved my number. Hyun Bin was 6 years older than Hyun Shik, Ha Yi, and you. Come to think of it… Hakyeon is only a year older than me… Cute…

To: BinBin

I’m in a bookstore on the same street I was on. I’m in the back like a lost child. I MISSED YOU BINBIN!

You sat there and waited for him for a long time before you saw a familiar, tall figure walk towards you. His hair was still cut the same. He’s aged so much…

“BINBIN!” You yowled, running and hugging him. “Look how tall you are! You’ve grown so much!”

Hyun Bin laughed, shushing you. “You’ve grown too.” His voice was deeper than you remembered and now it had a slight Mandarin accent to it but it was still the same voice you’ve known and missed. “Hyun Shik says you’ve been getting into a lot of trouble lately.”

“Liar.” You laughed, letting him go. “Should I go straight back to Korea or should I stay here with you? I kind of want to stay. My friend said he won’t be around much in Korea so it’d be easier to accept that fact if I’m here in China with you.”

“Stay as long as you want. I run a restaurant over where I live. You could help me run it. Of course, you don’t know the language so you can just smile or have them talk to me if someone were to need to ask questions.” He smiled at you, leading you out of the bookstore and down the sidewalk a little ways before showing you two his car.

“Hyun Shik says you’re rich.” You commented as the two of you climbed in the car, Hyun Bin starting it.

“Rich enough.” He chuckled, starting out on the road. “I run a restaurant and I co-signed with a major company along the way. I’m not rich but I’m well-off.”

“Same thing. 20000 won is rich to me.” You joked.

“Are you living with Ha Yi? I haven’t seen you since you were in middle school. That was always what you dreamed of.”

“Yeah, I am. Ha Yi and I have lived together since we before we graduated.” You watched out the window as the car drove out of the major city and into more country land. You snapped a few pictures of the scenery and sent them to Hakyeon, making sure to tell him Hyun Bin had picked you up.

“Is that your friend you’re texting?”

“Yeah.”

“HaJoon?”

“How do you know so much?” You giggled, snapping a few more pictures and drawing stick figures on the scenery picture and labeling them after you and Hakyeon.

“Hyun Shik just informed me of everything that’s been going on when he called earlier. He wanted me updated incase I hit a sensitive subject, then I’d know why.”

“True.” You nodded, snapping a picture of your face and drawing sunglasses on yourself and a heart on the side of the picture before sending it. “Hyun Shik treats Ha Yi and I like we never split ways after high school. I like it.”

The two of you fell into silence and drove a few hours until your phone went off.

From: Ha Yi

VIXX is in trouble again. Seems to be Hakyeon's end once more.

To: Ha Yi

Hakyeon? Why? What now? 

From: Ha Yi

That Tae whatever chick was asked for an interview somehow and she claimed herself to be mystery girl.

To: Ha Yi

WHAT? But what about my long hair that is clear in this picture? 

From: Ha Yi

She claimed that she cut her hair or something. She's claiming that Hakyeon and her have been dating all these years after high school.

To: Ha Yi

What a LIAR! She frustrates me so much. Was it not enough to rip Hakyeon's heart to pieces? What else did she say? Anything?

From: Ha Yi

She said a lot of useless crap to make it more reasonable on why she has just now shown up. It's all a bunch of bull really. But, Hakyeon is rumored to be having an interview following what that chick said in a few hours. Make sure to watch it, I know I am.

To: Ha Yi

Of course I'm going to watch it. We're almost to Hyun Bin's house. Is it on the usual channel?

From: Ha Yi

Yeah. Hakyeon's name is everywhere. If he wanted fame, here it is.

To: Ha Yi

Not funny. This much be horrible for him and s must be so upset. 

"Hyun Bin." You glanced at him as he drove. "Would you go to Korea if I asked you too?" 

"Why?" 

"I'm curious."

"If you needed me, yes. But I wouldn't go to just go. I told you, I'm a busy person." Hyun Bin glanced at you briefly before setting his eyes back on the road. "Can you tell me why?"

"No because I don't know if I need you yet." You sighed, glancing out the window as we entered another large city. 

"Another one of those secrets Hyun Shik warned me about?"

"I guess you could say that. To Hyun Shik, I must talk in some sort of weird code."

"True."

This Tae Hee chick needs to learn to quit... He's not a person she can just mess with because she's upset that he doesn't want her back. Why now? Is it because she ran into him that she's suddenly attacking him like this? Why? Why would someone want to hurt Hakyeon? AGAIN?

You found yourself scowling out the window the rest of the way as Hyun Bin pulled into a driveway, parking his car on the side of the building. "Here we are. I run a Korean place so that people in China can eat Korean food. My home is above the shop. It may look bad on the outside but the inside is truly something, I promise you." Hyun Bin smiled, getting out of the car and opening your door for you, "I have a guest room that you can stay in. If you need clothes or anything, just steal some of my money. You can pay it back by helping me out with the shop."

You nodded, exiting the vehicle and making your way into the shop, smiling at the interior. "It really is something cool." 

"I meant my home but yes, this is cool too." Hyun Bin chuckled, locking the door behind him. "I closed shop for today since you were coming to China."

You nodded, seating yourself at one of the tables along the wall. "I'm going to make a phone call."

"Okay." He nodded, heading back into the kitchen in the back of the building. 

You dialed Hakyeon's number, hoping he would answer this time. And he did just that.

"____-ah." His voice sounded nervous.

"Where are you?" You sat up straight. 

"I'm outside of the building where they're going to interview me. You heard right? What do I do?"

Why ask me!? Like I know! "I heard."

"Why is she attacking me now?"

"Maybe because she ran into you..."

"Maybe, right?"

"You sound really nervous. Why?" 

"Because... It's an issue I thought would never come up. I can't just brush it off because she has pictures of us back then." 

"The photos have a date they were taken, right?"

"Well yeah but this isn't a trial."

"Then just say you knew her when you were younger. Don't lie, just tell the truth. Don't tell what you don't want too either. If they don't believe you, then so what? If you lie and they prove that you lied then you'd really be screwed."

"True but..."

"Yeonie! Just do it! If no one believes you, then know I do. I'm going to be watching you so just look at the camera and pretend like you're talking to me."

"You're watching?"

"Yes. I promise. Just pretend like I'm the only one listening."

You heard him sigh at the other end. "I have to go. I'll try that."

"Fighting, Yeonie!" You let him hang up on you before running to where Hyun Bin disappeared. 

You saw a door towards the back of the kitchen and decided that must be where the stairs were, and you were correct. You climbed the stairs quickly and opened another door, being brought into a large living space. 

"Hyun Bin!" You called, taking off your shoes at the door. And was he right about the interior. It was very cool. The wooden floors were smooth and the walls just a plain white but covered with colorful paintings. But you didn't take too long to admire the interior. You had to watch Hakyeon.

"Yes?" Hyun Bin walked out of another room and smiled at you. 

"Do you have a TV?" 

"Who do you think I am?" He chuckled, pointing into another room. "It's in the guest room."

You nodded and hurried into the room, shutting the door, and turning on TV. It took you a little bit to find the channel but eventually, you did. 

You found it right as they showed Hakyeon walking stage type thing, showing his manager waving as well. Hakyeon looked stunning. 

When he sat, the lady interviewing gave Hakyeon a smile. The two talked a little before getting to the things about Tae Hee. "I interviewed a woman by the name of Kim Tae Hee. Do you know her?" 

Hakyeon laughed nervously and nodded. "I know her." 

"Do you? Is she someone special?"

"No, she's no one special to me anymore." Hakyeon glanced at the camera and smiled a little, causing you to giggle. "We knew each other in high school and dated a little. Due to complications, we broke up a before I debuted as leader of VIXX." He waited for the people to stop clapping at the word VIXX before he continued. "Right now, I don't know why she's saying such things but we have had no communications since the break up and a little run in at a cafe." 

"Is this true?"

"Yes." Hakyeon nodded. 

"Who was mystery girl then if it wasn't Tae Hee? Do you have someone else special?"

Hakyeon let out a relaxed sigh and fixed his posture. "Yes, I do have someone I consider special at the moment." Your face grew hot and your eyes wide. Was he going to admit about his meetings with me? Didn't he tell me he wouldn't release it to the public? 

"Oh? Was this girl that mystery girl?"

Hakyeon nodded. "She did visit the dorm but only briefly."

"Who is she to you? Friend? Best friend? Girlfriend?"

Hakyeon seemed to think a moment. "You know, I don't know. Someone I'm interested in, maybe? But for now, she is my friend."

The set went silent and the interviewer looked at the audience with a shocked expression. Hakyeon looked at the camera as well and offered a wide smile. Your heart tingled at his smile. "Is she watching? Is that why you keep smiling at the camera?" The lady went on, smiling as well.

Hakyeon chuckled. "Yes, she's watching. She told me to look at the camera if I get nervous."

"How cute..." The lady chuckled as well, the audience clapping. 

Hakyeon seemed a little flustered but nodded. 

The two of them moved on from the topic of Tae Hee and went on to talk about the new album they would soon drop entitled Jekyll. 

Didn't he do exactly what he didn't want to do? Why would he tell them about me? Of course he left out my name but... Still. What is he thinking? 

From: Ha Yi

____... You saw, right?

To: Ha Yi

Yeah, I did... 

You stared at your hands, your face hot. "What are you thinking, Hakyeon?" You mumbled. 

"This interview is coming to a close, but before then, I have one more question for N." The lady looked back to Hakyeon. "N, or, Cha Hakyeon, who is this special person you mentioned?" 

You froze and you saw Hakyeon move a little out of discomfort. "Is that an optional question?" 

"Everything is optional but I feel you would have a lot of fans asking you constantly. Why not just get it out now?" 

Hakyeon thought a while, looking at the camera. Don't say it. It'll only become hectic for you. Please... Hakyeon chuckled and looked back at the lady. "I'm sorry, I don't feel like you should know her name. She isn't a celebrity and she wouldn't like the attention. Just continue calling her mystery girl if you wish." 

Good... It would only be worse on him. Though, now... We have to be even more careful since everyone knows Hakyeon has someone he likes. 

But... I feel like this also opens doors for us. Maybe now I'll be able to talk with him more... Who knows? 

 

Hey! I hope you like this chapter, I've been working on it since Friday and I nearly had a panic attack when I went to paste this in here and it wouldn't work. (Lazy me...) Haha, anyways, thank you so much for reading and subscribing! I love to hear your thoughts! ~PandaBiscuit~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-