Tae Who?

To the Moon

"So. Tell me. Are you two dating?" Ha Yi smiled at you before taking another sip of her coffee you made for her. 

"Nope." You sighed as you wiped down the counter. "He avoids the subject." 

"Well, on the bright side, you two made up and now you know each other's feelings." Ha Yi shrugged. "And the scandal is winding down since there was no other evidence of N and 'mystery girl'."

You shook your head, handing a napkin to Ha Yi. "I'm glad it's winding down. It's been nearly two weeks."

"I wonder what would happen to you two if I didn't drag him inside when I saw him." Ha Yi hummed. "He got so discouraged when he saw you and Shikkie. It was adorable." She let out a sigh. "Has he contacted you like he promised yesterday?" 

"No!" You grumbled. "I wish he would."

"Didn't he delete your number?"

"Did he actually?" You panicked, pulling out your phone from your work apron. "I should text him first then, right?" 

You waited for Ha Yi to nod, bit your lip nervously, and opened his contact. "I can't..." You whined. 

"Just do it already!" 

You nodded and your phone once more. 

To: Yeonie

Hey! You never texted me like you promised! Let's break up.

You giggled at your text and sent it. "There. I did it."

"____, should I apply to work here too?"

You nodded. "Joon is looking for more employees. I can only work so many hours." 

"Joon is your boss, right? Is he hot?" 

You glanced nervously around your shoulder, knowing your boss was on the otherside of that wall. "He's kind of cute. He's a little older than us but he's cute." You muttered. 

"Maybe I should date him too." Ha Yi giggled. "I'm kidding. I'm not that type of person." 

You froze when your phone buzzed and quickly turned it on to view the text. 

From: Yeonie

Yah, it's only 2:20pm, the day isn't over yet. Break up? Break up what? What are we?

That's a good question. What were you? 

To: Yeonie

Let's be a couple and then break up.

"____!" Joon yowled, startling you as you hurried to put your phone back into your apron pocket. "There's been a customer standing there while you were on your phone." 

You glanced back at his face that peeked out from the door behind you. "I'm sorry." You bowed your head for a moment before turning to the customer that you hadn't noticed was there. "Hello, I apologize for the wait. What would you like?" You felt your phone buzz but you couldn't answer it. 

"Just an iced black coffee." The lady smiled brilliantly. 

"Okay. I like your hair by the way. I could never pull off short hair like that." You smiled at her. "It looks lovely."

"Thank you." She chuckled. "Put it under Tae Hee." 

"Tae Hee? You even have a beautiful name." You chuckled as well as you typed her order into the computer. "We're short staffed so I apologize if it takes a moment."

"Take your time." Tae Hee bowed her head at you before turning and walking over to the window seat.

"She's pretty." Ha Yi grumbled. "Her hair is almost too perfect." She turned to you. "Should I cut my hair? Hm?" 

"No. Don't cut your hair." You pulled out your phone. "I've seen you with short hair and it wasn't too good. It doesn't suit your personality."

"Blah blah."

From: Yeonie

Are you working? I tried to surprise you by visiting your house but I was the one surprised when you weren't there. Come to think of it... You're never at your house! Why are you always away? That's not safe you know. Why so busy?

To: Yeonie

Me? BUSY? Speak for yourself. Anyways, yes I'm working. I get done at 3 though if you want to come here and wait for me, obviously you have time. Remember the sushi place we ate at? Just go down the street from that and it's the only cafe in the area. You won't get lost, right?

From: Yeonie

Jerk. 

You smiled and put your phone back in your apron, beginning to make the iced coffee. "Ha Yi-ah, let's start saving our money and move to Seoul."

"HA! Funny. That'll only take 40 years." She sighed. "But, sure. I work enough as is and now you have a job. Rent costs more in Seoul but let's shoot for it."

You finished making the iced coffee and set it on the counter, starting to ring up the bill on the register. "Tae Hee." You called and watched her as she made her way over to the counter. You pointed to her the total on the screen that faced towards her and waited as she dug out the money from her purse.

The door opened and you looked up to see Hakyeon in a white hoodie with sunglasses. OH! I still have his sunglasses from the last time! You waved him over and he began his way over, casually. The few people that were in here were either chatting among themselves or reading so no one really cared who he was.

Tae Hee gave you the money and thanked you, turning to leave but ending up frozen to the spot. Hakyeon had frozen too. Ha Yi and you stared at the two in confusion. "Do you know her?" You asked, cautiously. Does she recognize him as N? 

Tae Hee reached her hand out to him slowly but pulled back as if rethinking. Ha Yi stood up from the chair she had brought over to the counter and leaned close to you. "Do you think she recognizes him?" Ha Yi whispered.

You shrugged. "HaJoon." You waved at him but he didn't move an inch, their eyes stuck on each other. He must know her. 

"Are you happy now?" Tae Hee finally spoke, low enough to where you had to strain to hear her. 

You shifted uncomfortably and watched them, Ha Yi as well. "I am... Happy. I am very happy." Hakyeon kept his voice low as well. 

Tae Hee looked frustrated yet... Sad at the same time. "I'm not happy. I never was happy and I never will be."

Hakyeon's shoulders drooped slightly. "Tae Hee, don't acknowledge me. I spent the past year trying to get over you." ~Side note, not in story. The VIXX era that I'm having take place *as if you couldn't tell from N's silver hair* is the On and On era, one year after VIXX's debut. I thought that would be key to the story. Okay, moving on! :)~  "Please, don't ruin everything now. I don't want to be swayed by you." 

Past lover? Sounds like it. "If you loved me then why did you break it off?" 

"Let's not talk about this." Hakyeon insisted. "I'm not hear to be brought down by you."

"I deserve an answer, don't I?" Tae Hee grabbed his arm when he tried to walk towards you. "Please."

"You didn't love me then. You realized you loved me too late. That's the issue. You treated me poorly while we were together and then realized you loved me when I was fed up with it." Hakyeon spoke calmly. "You stood in my way and didn't believe in me. That's why, Tae Hee. If you want to talk more on that issue, then seek me another time. I have someone else that I'm trying to prioritize now."

They did date... Is Hakyeon completely over her...? I want him to explain further to me but will he be willing too? That's why he doesn't want to date me, right? Cause he's afraid I'll treat him poorly like Tae Hee apparently did... I don't want to assume. Tae Hee looked back at you. "You came here for her, right? She waved at you and called you HaJoon."

You bit your lip and stood there awkwardly, Ha Yi's mouth wide with shock. "Tae Hee, I'm done talking." Hakyeon moved her arm off of his and pulled a chair up the counter next to Ha Yi and seated himself. "I have nothing more to say to you. You've made this awkward for those two." 

Does he like me as much as he clearly loved Tae Hee? Probably not, we haven't known each other as long as they apparently did. The year I spent playing games with him sounds like the year he was getting over her. 

"I have a feeling I'll be seeing you around then." Tae Hee sighed, nodding slowly. "Let's talk some other day then." With a final look back at you, Tae Hee left the cafe quickly, Hakyeon watching her leave. 

"Tae Hee..." You mumbled to yourself, going to the back wall to wash some of the mugs that were dirty still. Don't let her ruin your mood, _____. "I have competition, huh?" You mumbled as you cleaned the mug. "Do you want something?" 

"Let's talk about Tae Hee later, okay? I don't want you to be confused. I wasn't planning on telling you about her but since she just happened to show up, I guess I have too." Hakyeon sighed.

"As long as you tell me." You sighed as well. 

"Don't worry about Tae Hee. You treated me far better online than she ever did."

"Was she abusive?"

"No. You don't have to be abusive to treat someone poorly." 

"True." You smiled. "I'm glad she wasn't abusive." 

"You won't scream, right?" He pointed at Ha Yi, jokingly. 

"Nope. Now... Other VIXX members... Probably would. But you? Nah. You're in our friend circle now." Ha Yi smiled, sipping her coffee. "Even the famous N had love issues, huh?" 

"I changed your contact." You changed the subject, speaking to Hakyeon. "It's Yeonie. Since you got jealous of Hyunnie."

"I did not get jealous." He grew defensive.

"Liar."

"Yeonie is cute." Ha Yi joined in. "Hyunnie is cuter though."

Hakyeon glared at Ha Yi, causing you to giggle. "See? Jealous." You glanced around at the few people that remained. "I wonder when they will leave..."

"If I get coffee, do I get it for free?" Hakyeon asked. 

"Nope." You smirked at him. "Want one?"

"Nope." He gave you a look before smiling. "I'm broke."

"You? Broke?" You giggled, beginning to make him black coffee. "I'll pay for it, don't worry. Everything I get personally comes out of my paycheck." 

"You'll pay for his but not mine?" Ha Yi pouted.

You nodded, prepping the coffee before handing it to Hakyeon. "Let's go on a date. My shift ends in..." You glanced on the clock mounted above the entrance door. "10 minutes." 

"A date?" Hakyeon raised an eyebrow above his sunglasses. You giggled at how silly his face looked.

"Not a romanic type date but a talking date." You corrected. "Deal? You can tell me about this Tae Hee then." 

The three of you spent the 10 minutes joking around since there were no costumers. Your shift ended so you went in the back, checked out, took off the apron, and joined them. "Ha Yi, I'll meet you at home later." You looked over at Ha Yi and waved. "Come on, idiot." You grabbed Hakyeon's wrist and pulled him to his feet, leading him out of the cafe. 

"So where are we going?" Hakyeon pulled his wrist away from your grasp and instead held your hand. You flushed slightly. 

"Right now, to the bus stop." You pointed down the road a little at the bus stop sign. "But we're going to a park that I like." You glanced at him. "You're not the only one refusing to date me. I'm refusing to date you now. At least for now. There are 3 main things I have to know before I date you. 1; You love me. 2; You're completely over Tae Hee. 3; You tell me more about Hakyeon, not N, like you promised." 

"Those are fair." He nodded. "I'd be lying if I said I knew you well. You have to tell me things too."

You nodded as well, pausing as you waited for the bus together. "Your hand is soft." Hakyeon mumbled. 

"Yah, that's an awkward compliment." You flushed anyways.

The bus arrived shortly after and the two of you got on the bus, heading towards the back of the bus. You shoved Hakyeon a little when he sat too close to you and recieved a pouting look from him. "Are you the clingy type?" You grumbled, jokingly. 

"No." He smiled at you, causing your heart to race. "I just really like you right now."

"Right now? What about other times?"

"I like you other times. But right now, I really like you." 

"You're confusing me." You looked at the two ladies sitting in front of you. "Hey, those are the same two ladies that first informed me about the scandal." You commented, tapping one of them on the shoulder. "Hey, do you remember me? I'm the lady that you showed VIXX's scandal to." 

"Oh, yes! I remember you." The lady smiled. "You started crying soon after." 

Your smile faded and you leaned back in the seat, sighing with embarrassment as she turned back around. "That figures." 

Hakyeon snickered. "Yah, I'll kill you." You warned, hitting his shoulder. "If you want to live, pretend like you didn't hear a thing." Your phone started ringing from an unrecognized number but you answered it anyways. "Hello?"

"Is this Ms. ______?" A male's voice spoke a tthe other end.

"Yes this is she." You mumbled, shrugging at Hakyeon's mouthed words of, 'Who is that'. "Who are you?"

"I am Dr. Cheng calling from _____ hospital."

"Isn't that in China?" You asked, Hakyeon pressing his ear to the phone, your face flushing at his sudden nearness but ignoring that fact for now. 

"Yes. I was warned you were Korean but I'm fluent anyways." 

"That's good, I guess. But why are you calling me?"

"My patient left your number as her only contact."

"Patient? I don't know anyone in China."

"She said you were her daughter."

"What is her name? My mother lives in Korea."

"____ Eun." 

Your heart nearly stopped, Hakyeon looking at you with curiousity and concern. "T-that's my mother's name. Why is she in China? Why is she in the hospital?" 

"She has stage two myeloma."

"What is that?"

"Bone marrow cancer."

"Cancer?"

"She collapsed last night at a national park here in China and was rushed here in an ambulance. This is her first diagnosis and I'm afraid it wasn't caught soon enough to be treated early."

"Thank you for calling me, I will see what I can do to get there." You bowed your head as he hung up and looked at Hakyeon. "China?"

"That's not important." Hakyeon took off his sunglasses with a sigh. "Your mother and you don't get along and now she's in China with cancer, this much I know."

What can I do for her anyways? I haven't talked to her since father's funeral and she's all the way in China... I don't know how to feel. "I'm confused." You muttered. 

"_____-ah..." Hakyeon touched your shoulder. "Can I help you? Tell me how to help you."

You shook your head. "I just don't know what to feel. I'm shocked and I feel a little guilty but... I'm confused on so many other things that I can't think about my mother." You looked at him. "I'm more confused about Tae Hee than mother."

"Tae Hee?" Hakyeon grumbled. "That isn't important right now, ____." His voice was soft but you could still hear some irritation there. "Let's just take you home. This bus leads to the bus stop near your home, right?"

You nodded. "Let me think." You smiled at him, not forced, but genuine. "I'm confused on so many things right now, Tae Hee seems to be at the top along with mother..." Your heart sank a little. "I haven't called her mother in a long time."

"Tell me about your mother then." Hakyeon insisted. "Please?"

"Not now. Let's just get home and we can talk there." You sighed, looking out the window. "Right now, I'd rather be concerning over Tae Hee than my mother. Thinking about my mother, even though I dislike her, makes me upset and worried for her. Can't we just forget that call happened?"

"If it makes you feel at ease." Hakyeon sighed as well, patting your knee gently. "Let's talk about a lot of things. I want to know more things about you."

You nodded and smiled once more as you watched out the window. 

My mother is in China, she has cancer, and she could possibly be on her death bed. How would I afford to get there? How do I react when I see her? There are so many things running through my mind right now that I don't have time to feel sorrowful or scared, just confused. 

Maybe talking everything out with Hakyeon will be better. Let's hope.

 

Alright guys, this is another super short chapter but this time it was on purpose. I have a lot planned for the next chapter so I plan on making that one much longer! Thank you for subscribing and thank you so much for continuing to read this! I'll update the longer chapter on Tuesday then! Thank you! ~PandaBiscuit~