Tae Hee Returns

To the Moon

"____-ah, are you up yet?" Ha Yi's voice woke you with a start. "You weren't? Hakyeon has been blowing up my phone since 7am dude!"

You rubbed your eyes and rolled onto your side, facing away from her. "I didn't sleep well last night."

Ha Yi sighed and sat on the edge of your bed. "You went other places that just to the karaoke bar with Hakyeon, didn't you? You used the bar as an excuse to why you were gone all day yesterday." 

"Well, we did go to the karaoke bar, just after we went somewhere else." You got home last night after a fun night with Hakyeon at the karaoke bar. You didn't realize how upset you actually were with your mother until you got home last night. When everything just stopped moving and when everyone was away from you and you were left alone... It got you to think about what happened and the more you had thought about it, the more worked up you were. You were furious that your mother has moved on already, you were furious at Hakyeon for keeping you there, and you furious at your mother for talking about you to her co-worker. But... Most of all, you were hurt. You knew that you didn't care what your mother did, who she was with, what she thought, any of that. You just didn't care. But having heard that she was remarried 2 years ago and didn't even bother to tell you, hurt. But worst of all, it was your fault. You were the one who broke contact. You were the one who didn't care, she was just listening to you and respecting you.

It all came down to you. You were the root of all your issues today. You were the reason your mother was afraid to talk to her own child, you were the reason she got into the accident, you were the reason Ha Yi had to give away what money she had because you listened to some stupid stranger on the phone, and now you were the reason why you are upset now. You made yourself this way but yet you blamed your mother to lesson the blow. How childish. 

"You went to your mother's, right?" Ha Yi asked after a while of silence. "Yes?"

"Yeah, I did." You felt like crying again but held it in as much as you could. 

"You met her new husband, right?"

Even Ha Yi knew she was remarried... "Yes."

"Isn't he handsome? He's perfect for your mother."

You sat up and looked at her. "How can she move on so quickly?"

"Quickly? It's almost been 10 years since your father died." 

"She can't move on. She killed him. She didn't help him. He's not here because of her. How can she move on?" You got a little choked up on your words from trying not to cry. "It's not fair to dad." 

Ha Yi bowed her head with a frown. "I guess it's time to correct my mistakes."

"Your mistakes? What are you saying?" 

"I let you blame your mother far too long." She sighed once more. "When you came to me, in shock and in tears... You told me how your father died. You told me everything and how it all happened. You blamed yourself so harshly and it was killing you inside to blame yourself like that. I didn't want to see you like that... So you started talking about how it was your mother's fault he died, how she didn't get him out and instead just ran away from him, pulling you along."

"I don't understand what you're saying. I don't even remember me telling you this or going to you that day." You interrupted her. 

She shook her head. "I let you blame your mother. I knew you were wrong when you blamed her but I didn't want to see you hurt like that so I agreed with you. I didn't think it would go this far... You hating your mother like this, I mean."

"When did this happen?" You asked again, a tear escaping your eye by mistake.

"You were in shock. You were just coming from the hospital after getting checked for injuries." She explained. "I helped encourage you to blame your mother just so I didn't have to see you hurt." 

"Stop thinking you did something wrong. She killed him and now she's moving on, that's all that matters." 

"____-ah. If you got into, let's say, trouble in which you were pinned under a cement wall while the building was on fire. You somehow survived the wall coming onto you, but you realize that Hakyeon or myself was there with you, completely fine but the fire was spreading into dangerous levels..."

You interrupted again, "What does this..."

She continued like you never interrupted, leaving no choice but to listen. "Wouldn't you tell them to get out of the building? Would you expect Hakyeon or myself to lift that cement wall off of you? At that point, you'll know that there is no way to save yourself and you'd yell at us to get away from you. Correct?" 

"Well, yeah, but..."

"No it's not a different scenario." She spoke harshly now, startling you. "Your father was pinned to the point where only tools could get him out safely. Do you expect your mother to tear him out of that car successfully? She could've made his death more painful or gotten all three of you killed. But she listened to him because she knew there was nothing she could do for him. Just like the senario I gave you, Hakyeon, no matter how much he would want too or may try, wouldn't be able to lift a piece of that wall of you. He would understand that and get to safety even though it might kill him to do it. But he would know that there is nothing he can do but call an ambulance and hope they come fast enough. I would do the same thing."

You bowed your head. "So..."

"So it's not your mother's fault. It's not your fault. It's not the EMT's fault for not getting there fast enough. It was simply an accident and there was no way for your mother to help him. Please, understand that and forgive her."

You thought a moment, letting yourself cry because it was pointless hiding it anymore. "Then how can she move on from dad? You're supposed to grieve your lover for longer than 10 years before you move on... How can someone call themselves a wife to someone else after having their first husband die?"

"She moved on, she let him go." Ha Yi smiled, comfortingly. "Do you still cry over your first love back in high school? Do you still love him after all these years? You don't even remember his name, do you?" 

"But I wasn't in love with him."

"You were. You were back then just like how your mother is. Yes, she still misses him and mourns him. She probably still loves him. She just accepted the fact that he's gone and grieves him on the day of his death and on important dates." Ha Yi swiped at your tears with her thumbs. "She let him go so she can be happy again. And that's what you need to do." 

He's my only defense... I can't just let him go. "Why?"

"If you died, would you want Hakyeon and I to grieve you for the rest of our lives? Would you want to hold us back?" She asked gently. "Of course we'll grieve you for a few months, maybe even a few years. But we wouldn't forever. And that doesn't mean we just forgot about you. It just means that we've moved on. You'd then be in our hearts always but not a hinderance anymore." 

Dad... She wants me to forget you just like mom. What do I do? 

Ha Yi's phone rang in her pocket before you could say anything. She sighed. "It's Hakyeon again. He's really concerned, you know." She answered it. "Again?" 

You put your ear to the end of the phone to hear as well. 

"Again? How can you ask me again? Is she sick?" His voice was barely audible over people screaming in the background. And by people, you meant Jaehwan and Hyuk screaming. 

"No, she's fine. She just woke up and she's really snippy." Ha Yi mumbled. "I can't tell if she's angry or depressed."

"I called the director and told him that she had something come up and may or may not appear today. He told me that it was fine as long as it was reasonable and will need to talk to her when she can to confirm." He sighed before yelling at the boys to shut up. You tried not to laugh. "We're not doing anything productive until later today so I'll be over there soon."

"Over here?" Ha Yi smirked at you. "Are you sure you want to risk your life?"

"I'll be there around 1, an hour from now, okay?" Hakyeon mumbled over the boys who were still being loud.

"Sure. You might need to talk to her harshly about her mother. She might listen to you."

"Is that why she didn't come? Is she upset about her mother?"

"Yeah. I'll let her tell you the rest when you get here." 

You climbed out of the bed, swiping the remaining tears away, and grabbed the tissue box from your dresser before seating yourself back in bed as Ha Yi hung up. 

"You're going to get talked to by Hakyeon about this." Ha Yi stood up. "So, in that regard, I'll spare you. You just go ahead and wallow in despair, your knight is on his way anyways." 

She flashed a quick wink and exited the room, pulling your door shut. I don't want to cry in front of Hakyeon. Why does it even upset me so much? Your mother isn't talking to me because I told her not too, why am I so upset? Why does it hurt so bad? It shouldn't... It really shouldn't... 

You sat there, staring out your small window while thinking about what Ha Yi had told you. You tried to understand and convince yourself that it wasn't your mother's fault but it just wasn't working. For some stupid reason, you couldn't stop crying over this issue.

After a while, you heard a knock come to the door followed by Hakyeon's voice. You didn't know what to do so you slipped under the covers slightly and pretended to be asleep as he came in. I can't let him see me like this. I don't want to look at him.

"____-ah?" His voice seemed to linger longer than it was supposed to. You felt him reach over you to take the tissue box off the bed. "You fell asleep? I guess that's good." You listened to him walk around your room. Why aren't leaving? I don't want to cry and I know you're going to lecture me like Ha Yi... "How can you be crying in your sleep?" Hakyeon's voice startled you as his fingers brushed away tears that slipped down your cheeks without even realizing it. "You should've told me you were upset yesterday. You played it off well so I didn't even notice."

"I'm not in the mood to talk." You sighed, rubbing your eyes. 

"Then let's not talk." He smiled when you opened your eyes. "I'll just sit here with you instead and you'll talk when you're ready." 

He sat on the edge of the bed as you sat up, grabbing the tissue box that he moved from your bed to your night stand, placing it back in your lap. You stared at him as he continued to stare at his hands, patiently. Is Hakyeon really this patient of a person? He's always rushing the boys around... I never noticed how patient he actually was. 

I also didn't realize how much better I felt now that he was here. I'm not completely over it but I did feel better with him just in here with me. You smiled. "Aren't you going to lecture me? Why are you being so obedient?" 

"Because it's not something I can argue with you about." He nodded slowly. "All I can do is wait for you to want to listen to me. People don't take words to heart when they're forced to hear it. So, I want you to want to hear what I have to say so that you can understand where I come from more."

"Smart." You nodded as well. "Go, I want to hear from you. What would you do if I was the one in my dad's position and you were in my mom's position?"

He sighed. "I would do exactly what your mother did."

"You would leave me like that?"

"You can't tell me that you'd tell me to stay. Right?" When you nodded, he went on. "What more could I do? If I tried to help, I could injure you more. I'd do exactly what your mother did."

They both said the same thing... "Do you think my mother moving on is a good thing?"

"Of course. She can't be miserable forever." He offered another comforting smile towards you. "She's human too."

"Should I..." You hesitated, choking up again. "Should I let go of my dad, too?" 

His smile faded and he bowed his head slightly, speaking without hesitation. "Yes. You're only holding yourself and your mother back by hanging onto him. Grieve him when you miss him but don't hang onto him like this. It's not good for you the way you hold on to him."

"Then who will remember him if I let him go? Wouldn't you want to be remembered by the people closest to you if you were to pass away?" 

"Just because you let him go... Doesn't mean you'll forget him. Your mother didn't forget him. No one did. They just learned that he's no longer here and they accepted to let him go so that they can continue with their lives." He explained gently, not harshly like Ha Yi was. "They did it to be happy."

"But I'm perfectly happy now." You laughed as more tears accidently spilled down your cheeks. "I'm just worked up right now." 

"____-ah. Let him go." Hakyeon spoke firmly. "I want you to let him go. I'm telling you to let him go."

"But I can't." You took a moment to gather your thoughts. "He's been a wall for me. If I take away that wall then how can I stand?" 

"Use me. I'll gladly be your wall."

"What if you leave me? Then I'll be left without a wall again."

"Who said I was leaving? I don't have any plans to go anywhere as long as you don't." He sat up straight and stretched out his arms. "Try to forgive your mother but I won't force you. Though, I do want you to let go of your father. It'll make you feel much better. Okay?" 

You swiped at your tears and nodded. "I can try." Ha Yi opened the door carefully and pointed at her phone, mouthing the word 'mother'. 

Hakyeon nodded at her and got up, taking the phone from her and handing it to you. "Don't be rude to her. You told me you'd try literally 2 seconds ago, don't break it." 

You sighed, nodding again as you took the phone. "Hello?" Hakyeon sat back down on the edge of the bed and watched you. 

"_____-ah?" 

"Yes."

She giggled a little. "Ha Yi told me you didn't have a phone anymore because of my co-worker. So, I bought you a new phone. If you want it, you should come and get it. It's a pretty cool phone, I almost took it for myself." 

"When do you want me to come get it?"

"It's okay, I expected that you wouldn't... Wait, what?" 

"When do you want me to come get it?"

"Y-you want it?" She sounded excited. "You can get it tonight. I'll feed you dinner too!" 

"Okay." 

"You're really coming? Really?" 

"Yeah." 

"I'm happy... I'll see you tonight then!" 

You hung up and looked at Hakyeon. "Did I do good?"

"Do I have to praise you for being nice to your mother?" He nodded anyways. 

"Will you go with me to Suwon again?" 

"Of course. Let's just get back to my schedule for today and then we'll go when I'm done for the day." He smiled. "Deal?"

"Deal."

--

"How are you feeling right now?" Hakyeon asked as the two of you approached your mother's house. 

"I feel annoyed." You grumbled. "Only because you've been asking me that all day long."  

He chuckled. "I'm just glad you're not upset like you were this morning. I can tell you're not completely yourself yet because you're still quieter than normal but you don't lack at being snippy anymore." 

"Shut up." You smiled as you knocked on the door. "You're not even Hakyeon today."

"What do you mean?" 

"You're being all soft to me."

Your mother answered the door before he could answer, a smile forming on her lips. "You really did come. And you brought your boyfriend with you." 

You twitched a smile, trying to be happy that you were near her but you still couldn't forgive her as easily as Hakyeon and Ha Yi wished. "I said I'd come." You brushed past her, slipping off your shoes, and heading into the living room, pausing when you saw Jung Shik heading out of the living room and towards the kitchen, stopping when he saw you as well.

He smiled, waving at you slightly, and then continuing towards the kitchen. It hurts to see a man walking around this house and not having it be my dad. I don't like it. You simply let out a slow breath to calm yourself down and decided to follow him into the kitchen. I want to know if he's related to Tae Hee. It's been eating away at me ever since yesterday when I thought of it. 

"Hello, _____. Nice to see you." He smiled as he sipped his glass of water. "I didn't expect to see you around, especially so soon." 

"Do you have any daughters?" 

"Why do you ask?" 

"Do you?" You pressed on. 

He nodded. "I have a daughter." 

You narrowed your eyes at him. "What's her name?"

"She's coming for dinner tonight as well, you can meet her then. I think you'll like her." He smiled widely. "I'm a divorcee myself and she was my only daughter. But now I have two, including you." 

"I told you that I'd never think of you as my dad."

"But I can think of you as my daughter." He nodded. "I respect your feelings."

If it's Tae Hee... I think I might scream. 

You left the kitchen and joined Hakyeon on the couch in the living room, your mother not in sight. "Hey, Hakyeon-ah, does that Jung Shik guy look familiar to you?"

He shook his head. "I've never met him before." 

"Have you met Tae Hee's father before? I know you've met her mother." 

"Why are you asking about Tae Hee?" He frowned. 

"Answer me." You pouted. 

"I've met her step-father. I never met her real father because he lives abroad. Or at least did. Maybe he's back, I don't know." Hakyeon shrugged. "She has divorced parents. They divorced when she was very little."

"Yah, did I ask for her life story?" You grumbled. Good. It's not Tae Hee's father. Anyways, now I just got to deal with whatever chick I'm stuck with. I will refuse to call her a step-sister. Never will I accept her as a sister. 

Hakyeon smiled at you randomly. "____-ah, I'm glad we're together. I'm also glad that you don't still treat me like an idol. Or the boys for the matter. You accepted us all, I like it."

"Duh." You smiled as well. "Should I scream Leo-oppa or N-oppa everytime I see you guys?" 

"Well, you did when you first met me." He mocked. "'N... Oppa? You're N-oppa?'" He imitated your voice with an annoying high pitched voice. 

You hit his shoulder as he burst out laughing. "YAH! I don't sound like that! And so what? I called you oppa, so what?" 

"You don't call me oppa now." 

"Why would I?" You hit him again. "Annoying brat." 

"Brat?" Hakyeon laughed again, looking up slightly and growing silent, his smile fading. 

You looked at him oddly. "What?" You turned and saw a familiar figure standing in the hall just outside the living room. "Tae Hee?" You widened your eyes, standing up quickly. 

"Tae Hee-ah!" Your mother scurried through the living room and hugged Tae Hee. "How nice to join us! This is ____, my daughter. And that's her boyfriend." 

Tae Hee started laughing, your face screwing up in anger. What the hell does she think she's laughing for? "That's your daughter?" Tae Hee gasped between laughing. "That boyfriend snatcher?" 

You glared at her. "Boyfriend snatcher? Since when?" 

Hakyeon stood up and grabbed at your arm but you shook it off, Tae Hee watching you two as she stopped laughing. "Have you lost your memory?" She pointed at her head as she spoke. "Or are you just dumb?"

"Was he your boyfriend when I even met him? No, he wasn't. Was he your boyfriend when we started dating? No, again, he wasn't." You warned. "I'm warning you... I will hit you if you call me that again. I didn't steal anyone from anyone."

Tae Hee acted scared as her father came in and ran over to him. "This is my sister? Don't you remember how I told you my boyfriend broke up with me? It's because of her! Look, that's my boyfriend and she has him now." 

"Ignore her. She wants attention." Hakyeon whispered in your ear. "She lies to get what she wants."

Your mother stared at you, confused, and Tae Hee's father watched you as well, just as confused. "Just for clarification. Tae Hee was the one that cheated on Hakyeon and Hakyeon ended it a while ago. We started dating long after they broke up." You spoke through a clenched jaw. 

Your mother seemed to understood and nodded slightly. Jung Shik was still confused but just shrugged. "Tae Hee, I'm sure you have people confused. I met your boyfriend a few weeks ago, remember?" 

This time you burst out laughing. "You have another boyfriend and you're still trying to get Hakyeon back? What a..." Hakyeon covered your mouth with his hand quickly, stopping you from finishing your sentence. 

Tae Hee grew frustrated. "Dad, that was more like 2 months ago, we're already broken up. It didn't work out." 

He nodded, stepping back into the kitchen and your mother sighing. "You two seem to have a bad relationship." Is all she said before she went in the kitchen to talk with Jung Shik. 

Tae Hee stared at Hakyeon and you for the longest time before getting frustrated and disappearing into the kitchen as well. 

"You told me her father lived abroad." You snapped, moving his hand away from your mouth. 

"That's what she told me when we were still in high school. How would I know now?" He shrugged. 

"This is not happening." You growled. "I was already hurt that mom remarried and that I had to let dad go but now... Tae Hee is supposed to be my sister? No, no, no. That will not happen. I'll kill her before it happens." 

Hakyeon sighed. "Just don't think about Tae Hee, okay?" 

You nodded, snatching his hand. "You don't think about Tae Hee either, okay? I have no problem killing you."

He laughed and nodded, letting you lead him into the kitchen and sitting a crossed from Tae Hee as your mother and Jung Shik put on the food and side dishes. Hakyeon tried to let go of your hand to help them but you held onto it with a steady smirk a crossed the table at Tae Hee. 

You treated him poorly in the past. How are you human? Hakyeon gave you a confused look as you finally let go of his hand and put your hand on the table, clearly showing off the couple ring you had. 

She glared at your hand before smiling at her father. "This meal smells good, thank you." 

Hakyeon nodded in agreement but you didn't say anything. 

This will be fun. Tae Hee has reentered my sight and seems as if she'll be here a while. 

And she won't be getting Hakyeon. If she runs to the media or even runs to him, she's not going to last against me. 

I won't believe any of her lies.

 

Thanks for subscribing and thanks for reading! It's a short update this time, sorry about it! Look forward to Tuesday's update! <3 ~PandaBiscuit~