You are My Wish for the Future

So Similar Yet so Different

"Hey baby, wake up!" I heard a familiar voice whisper. I reached my hands out towards the direction of the sound and brought her head closer to kiss her. 

"I want to wake up like that more often." I said as my eyes slowly opened. 

It was dark already outside. We must've driven a long time after I fell asleep. Watching my environment, I couldn't make out where we literally were.

No light was shining outside besides the one attached above me on the car's roof that let me take a glimpse of the ground where we were situated. It was soil, no concreted nor paved ground. I rubbed my still heavy eyelids as Taeyeon leaned over to unbuckle my seat belt. Inhaling the inrushing air which came through the opened door from the outside, I noticed that it was fresh and untouched as well as the ground. It was different from the air in Seoul. 

"Let's walk for a bit." Stretching myself I took a short glance at Taeyeon who waited for me to get out, smiling really bright. 

I got out of the car and my girlfriend immediately threw the blanket over my shoulder as well as her arm around my waist. 

"Where are we?" I asked. 

"We are in Jeonju." Jeonju, that's her hometown. Taeyeon told me a lot about her life here even though she moved to China at a very young age. 

"And what are we doing here?" 

"We will spend the night here." She let go of me and rushed back to the car to get something. It turned out to be shovel wherefore I panicked a little bit. 

"Are you going to dig-" Taeyeon cut me off and gave me a wholehearted laugh. 

"Dig a hole to sleep in it? You are funny. Where is the girl who owns awards for her outstanding performances?" I glared at her as she slung her arm around me. 

"We will get something." I looked at her in confusion and asked myself what we would get when we had to use a shovel. It must be something good because she excitedly grinned and ... I would say rushed because she lightly yet forcefully pushed me towards the dark. 

"How can you see something? There is no light, Taetae, I'm scared." She immediately stopped to smile and looked at me with a serious expression in her face. 

"I have this..." Taeyeon said, holding up the long metallic tool.

"... And won't back away from using it if someone touches you." 

"And when someone touches my Taetae?" I said, linking arms with her. 

"You are going to protect me, aren't you?" 

"With my bare hands? Hell no! I need these hands and fingers for other things." Grazing the backside of my index and middle finger over her neck, I felt her shiver under my touch. 

"Fany, did you just see it?" I looked panic-stricken in every direction but couldn't see or catch sight of anything other than darkness. 

"W-hy? W-what?" Swaying my gaze to her, I was sure that I saw a little smirk on her face which was soon replaced by a straight line. 

"When you want to fool me you could at least try to be serious." I said as I chuckled. 

"Here, it is." She said as she looked in the darkness. But a moment later she switched on a flashlight, directing it towards a knee-high pole with the in black painted number 27.

"What's-?"

"Hold this." Taeyeon forced the flashlight in my hands and suddenly pulled out the pole after she had kicked against it. 

"Tae! That's damage of Jeonju's property!" I pushed her and yanked away the white piece of wood. 

I was about to stuff it back in the soil but I noticed something weird buried in there. In two different hand-written ways, which were both crooked, it said 'Tae-Ny'. Obviously a compound of our names. 

"W-what ... Taeyeon?" My girlfriend lightly pushed me aside and started to scoop the soil away that prevented her to take the thing out. It turned out that 'the thing' was a box. It was a squared box, a little bigger than Taeyeon's hand and colored in magenta, similar to the van but darker since some dirt was still covering the box and the slightly wetness of the material.

I didn't really know what it was to be honest but judging from Taeyeon's expression it must be something special and delightening  because her eyes sparkled and she didn't listen when I talked to her. Instead she talked to me ... Or herself without referring to what I had said.

"Taetae? Uh ... Hello?" I waved my hand in front of her eyes which then flickered between me and the wooden box. I never witnessed Taeyeon being like this. It was very odd for me to be confronted with an unknown reaction of her. 

"I-, I'm sorry, baby." She apparently got back to her senses when she shook her head and the box at the same time. 

"Let's go back." Taeyeon looked worried and relieved at the same time, expecting and surprised as well as energetic and calm. 

I took her free hand and intertwined them as I watched her. The entire way we walked in silence. Taeyeon seemed to be drowned in her thoughts so that I just kept quiet. Her calm aura was nice to look at, moments in which she wasn't playful, but that box couldn't possibly be so special that she had to look at it the whole time, right?

"Do you remember it?" She asked but immediately answered it by herself. 

"Probably not, looking at your expression." 

"What should I remember?" Taeyeon's facial expression turned from neutral to a disappointed one for a moment but went back to its normal state like I used to see it. Friendly and loving.

She didn't say anything after that until we arrived at the van again. 

"Where are we going to stay? I didn't see any hotel ... Not even other people." Taeyeon let go of me and walked towards the backside of the car as I folded my arms in coldness.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you but ... This ... Is where we are going to sleep." She opened the back doors so that I finally could see what's behind it even though she told me that there were 'just' our bags. 

"Tae- Tae-" 

"I'm sor-" I literally threw myself at Taeyeon and put a sensual smooch on her lips as my arms automatically slung around her neck. She stumbled backwards in reaction of the sudden impact but hugged me and responded to my kiss. 

"You are really- I don't know what to say. That's the sweetest thing someone ever did for me." I looked at the interior of the car and was amazed at the numerous pictures that were attached at the 3 walls. I tried to look at them individually but I was so keen that I didn't know where to start. When I tried to look at one picture, my attention immediately inverted to the one next to it and so forth. My gaze swayed from the left side, to the right and then to the top to at least catch a glimpse of them. A mattress as well a thick red blanket with pillos in the same color covered the colled metallic bottom of the van.

"Why-" 

"Your face is freezing." Taeyeon cut me off and caressed my cheeks with both her thumbs. This moment was when I realized that I shed some tears. 

"Why are you crying? Is it too much, don't you like it?" 

"Taetae, that's the most perfect and sweetest thing you have done for me. The best thing I've ever seen in my life." 

"So you like it? Do you think it can get better? 

"Will it get better? Taeyeon ... You don't have to do this. I love you already for who you are." My girlfriend took me in her embrace and  held me so tight that I couldn't free my arms to respond to the hug. Instead I rested my head on her shoulder and nuzzled my nose against her neck. 

"Let's sit. I want to open the box." Taeyeon let go of me and lead me by the hand in the van. I felt weird and strange things in my stomach when I looked at the pictures which surrounded us. It seemed like 500, no 800 photos to be honest! I grazed my finger in a line from one wall to another as I looked at them. In those 5 months we've been together, it was impressive to see almost every moment we've spent together. But it was even more impressive that she stored them somewhere without my knowledge.  I knew what was on Taeyeon's phone, her camera even her laptop but all I saw was just a few pictures she kept with the reason 'I like them the most so far.' 

"I actually hoped you would remember. I hoped you would be as excited as me but I can't blame you, right?" Taeyeon fiddled with the lock which held the lit closed but rummaged in her pocket afterwards when she realized that she couldn't  open it easily. 

She took out her bunch of keys and past the keys, one after another, until she found the smallest of them. 

"Got it! Even after almost 2 decades it still works." Giving me a triumphant smile, I grinned  at her cuteness and sat sideways to her. As soon as the lit opened I peeked in the box in curiosity and tried to remember what it could be. 

A piece of paper, a stack of photos and something shiny were the things that I could make out under the dim moon light but I was still clueless about the content's meaning that I tried hard to remember unsuccessfully. 

"When you remember tell me, alright?" I knew that question would come. Whenever I felt insecure about something, I kept quiet but Taeyeon always came and said the right words. She would say that I can tell her everything and didn't need to be afraid about her reaction. She would be understanding and caring about my thoughts as if she knew about them. 

I nodded as she took out two pieces of paper and finally started to enlighten me. 

"When I was 8 ... My grandparents told me that we would leave soon. At first they told me it was just a vacation but when my dad started to talk bad about you and your family, I knew it wasn't just a vacation. I-I-" 

"Tae. You don't have to tell me if it's difficult for you to talk about it." I reassuringly said as I wiped away the first tear which rolled down her cheek. 

"But, but I want to. You need to know about that." Taeyeon sobbed, wiping away her second teardrop. I stared at her and took the strand of her hair which fell in her face and tucked it behind her ear. 

"I was sure it wasn't just a vacation when I saw men putting our furniture in a big truck. My dad was telling me to distance myself from you and your family ... Especially your father and you so that I won't end up like our families. I didn't know what he meant and I neither asked because when I did he would just say that you are bad people. My grandparents were the same just like him but not in that extend. They would tell me things but I knew they were all lies."

"Taeyeon, what does that have to do with that box?" I rested my head on her shoulder and grazed my thumb over the lit's bottom edge.

"Let me explain it. They forced me not to tell 'nae dongsaeng' (a/n: my little sister) about the vacation otherwise I would hurt you and I didn't want to do that because you were 'nae dongsaeng.' Literally. At the same time I didn't know that I would hurt you if I just left without any notice.Even though I was just 9, I did notice that our families had a dispute, I thought I'll come back to you soon so I decided to do something memorial with you. I remember it like yesterday ..." 

-----
Flashback [No one's pov]

"Your hand writing is so pretty, Miyoung." Taeyeon said to the younger girl as they did their homework.

"Why do you always call me Miyoung? I don't like that." Tiffany put down her pen.

"Because your American Name is difficult. Ti- ste- pany?" Stuttering her American friend's name, Taeyeon put her pen down just like the former. 

"My mom calls me Tiffany." She said. Taeyeon was amazed by that clear pronunciation and immediately tried it too. At first she started to mirror Tiffany's mouth movements when she said her own name and then attempted to actually use her voice. 

"Ti-Tip-Tippa-" the younger one cut her off and corrected Taeyeon, slow enough so that she can perceive and repeat her name in the right way. 

"Tiffany. Tif-fa-ny." 

"Tiffany?" Both girls were excited and clapped in success as they laughed at each other. 

"I have an idea!" Taeyeon said energetically yet calmly. 

"What is it Tae?" 

"Here..." The latter started as she gave her best friend a piece of paper. 

"...write down your wishes for the future. I'll do the same. When you are finished then fold it so I won't see it." Tiffany compiled, as well as Taeyeon, and started to write without questioning the older one's intentions

"Alright!" After 10 minutes, Tiffany happily said, folding the paper. 

"What took you so long?" Taeyeon asked. 

" A lot of them contain you. I have a lot of wishes with you but I wrote down the most important." The smaller but older girl looked down in sorrow and subconsciously gave her friend a heartbroken gaze. 

"What's wrong, Tae?" 

"What? Nothing? Let's continue..." Taeyeon took the two pieces of paper and went out of the room to get something. 

"... Last week when you were not in school we learnt about a time capsule." She came back with big photo album and a little wooden box.

"Time capsule?" Tiffany tilted her head like a puppy and listened attentional to the explanation. 

"We put things in a box and bury it safely. After a long time we will get back there and look at the things." 

"That's cool! Let's do it!" 

"And then we will see if our wishes fulfilled." She opened the photo album and took out some pictures from the first time they've met to the day when they were in the amusement park. 

"Won't our parents scold us?" 

"No, I'll handle it somehow." Taeyeon answered as she put the things in the box. 

"Give me your ring." The latter demanded as she slid her plain golden jewelry off her finger. 

"But, but we got them from your mom ..." 

"You'll get it back soon, Miyoung. You'll lose it probably in the next time so let's save it in here."  Anxiously, Tiffany did the same what her fellow did a moment ago and put it next to the other ring. 

"The box is ugly, Tae." Tiffany rested her small hand on the closed box and grazed her thumb over the rough yet smooth material. 

"Do you want to paint it?" The older one asked. 

"In pink!" The pink-lover yelled in excitement. 

"But I want blue..." Both girls looked at each other and were clueless on what color they would paint the box but after a moment of silence Taeyeon came up with the idea to mix their favorite colors together.

The latter got out her painting utilities and put a blob of each color before mixing them together with a wet brush. 

Taeyeon and Tiffany had a lot of fun painting the box. They laughed a lot and ended up with color on their faces, dirtying themselves. It was the last time they had so much fun together. It was the last time they saw each other. While Tiffany left the house, Taeyeon was the next to leave the country. 

-----
[TAEYEON]

"We sneaked out with the pain still on our faces and buried the box at the 27. That day my shirt got the number 2 printed on and yours 7. That's why it says Tae-ny. 2-7. It was your idea to name us TaeNy." I explained to Tiffany. 

"Why are you crying, princess?" Wiping away her tears that she shed, I couldn't help it but tear up too as she rested her head on my lap.

"I don't want you to cry one that special day." 

"Special day?" Tiffany asked as she  indulged the feeling of my hand against her soft and warm face. I hinted my proposal but fortunately, she didn't notice anything of it when I changed the topic to the box's content. 

"Read out mine and I'm gonna read out yours, alright?" I suggested while I held the piece of paper marked with my name in front of her, waiting until she took it. 

Tiffany started with my list and immediately smiled at the first wish. 

"... I wish Miyoung, her and my family to be healthy." I nodded and awaited the next point. I still remembered all my wishes. I still remembered what I felt every thought when I wrote down my wishes. 

"I wish Tiffany to find a good friend." Tiffany's smile vanished in seconds. She stared at the square piece of paper and hesitated to read out the next. 

"I want to get good grades."

"I wish Fany to happy." When I watched her reaction she didn't look sad nor happy. I couldn't judge whether she was happy about my caring thought or sad because we both knew why I wrote that.

"Please be happy even without me. I'm sorry for leaving." Reading out my last wish, or more like demand, it was hard for both of us to hold back our tears. Well, for me it was a little bit easier but Tiffany on the other hand let her tears flow like a waterfall. 

"Tiffany. I'm sorry for not telling you." I tried to reassure and soothe her. It wasn't difficult to bring her down from that state of sadness, the only thing I had to do was to be there for her and say nice things. 

"Please stop crying. I don't like it to see my beautiful princess turning to an ugly one." At my last sentence she immediately shoot her head up and hit my shoulder as she laughed through her shower of tears. 

"It's ... It's not like you should apologize. Now that I'm older I appreciate the time when we were younger. How caring you were, how nice and perfect you wer and still are. I asked myself if I really deserved someone like you." Tiffany confessed to me as she slowly calmed. 

"You are the only person who deserves me. No one else can put up with my beauty besides you. Shouldn't I be the one who asks myself if I deserve you? Stop thinking so negative let's move on with your list. Do you remember what you wrote?" Tiffany shook her head and sat up from my lap. 
 
I opened it and immediately read out the first point without hesitation. 

"Tiffany's wishes: Everyone I love should be happy and healthy." I smiled at her hand writing because I remembered how I envied her and the patience she had to put a heart instead of a point on every 'i'. 

"Especially my best friend Taeyeon. God bless her.  Please give her all the jelly that exists on earth." Just a moment ago we were both crying but now we laughed at Tiffany's younger self. 

"... You deserve to be forever happy and receive love from everyone."

"I hope you marry someone who deserves your love and can make you happy. If you don't find someone just let marry each other! <3" I smiled at the piece of paper like an idiot but swayed my blank gaze to her when I realized what I've read. 

"What wrong, Taetae?" 

"It's not what I have planned..." Without her knowledge I felt for the little velvet cube in my pocket to make sure it was still there. 

"What do you mean?" 

"You wished for me to marry someone who makes me happy and deserves my love, right?" I witnessed how her eyes widened little by little as I got up from the car's trunk, grinning at her excitedly.

"Well, you deserve my love and you make me happy." I stood in front of her and smiled brightly that it felt like my corners were touching my ears. 

"Taeyeon..." She straightened her back and turned towards me as her feet where hanging down. 

"Miyoung, I'm not really dressed up and this event is not as special as I imagined it but here I'm telling you in my hometown where we made our wishes for the future and the wish you made for me in coincidence. In this magenta van full of pictures of us, I want to make more memories and expand all this. Memories, we can look back in happiness. Nothing that would bring us back to something bad..." I kneeled in front of her and fiddled in my pocket for the red box.

"...Tae." 

"Let's be together for the rest of our lives. Let me be together with you until I die. I want to promise you my eternal love..." Revealing the jeweled golden ring with a shiny diamond on top, I locked my eyes with hers that were beautifully mirroring the glistening of the moonlight and diamond, I couldn't look away and even lost myself in her brown orbs but soon came back to reality so that I wasn't going to miss Tiffany's answer. 

"Taeyeon, I can't..." 

____________________

[germany- 01.20 am] oh shoooot what a cliffhanger :( tell me what you think about this chapter!