Meeting an Acquiantance

So Similar Yet so Different

[JIYEON]

"Will she be okay?" Sooyoung asked us. 

"The doctor said that her vitals are stable again but..." Yuri started off and made a break in between the sentence as she looked outside the window.

"They still don't know what's wrong with her ... Her condition was very critical when we arrived here." I took Tiffany's hand and drew circles on it with my thumb. A strand of her was laying on her forehead so I gently moved it away and watched her breathing peacefully. The facial mask, which was connected to a medical ventilator, fogged up in every exhale but returned to its normal clearness a second later. I was glad that she was breathing normal again and the blood flow out of her nose stopped ... but once again I was worried because...

"Hello, I didn't introduce myself, right? ... I'm the head of the department of neurology Dr. Choi, Choi Eunhwang." I let go of Tiffany's hand and shook the doctor's. 

"I'm Park Jiyeon." I forced the corner of my lips upwards because obviously, it was not the moment to give a sincere smile. I thought he didn't mind when he started to speak up again. 

"So ... We found out what happened with..." Dr. Choi looked at his clipboard and flipped through the papers before he continued.

"...Ms. Hwang but I think I can just speak about it with..." Again he skimmed through the pages until he stopped at one certain page, searching for a name. 

"...Kwon Yuri. The submitted guardian is Kwon Yuri. Is she..." 

"Yes, I'm here." Judging from the gust of wind I felt hitting against my bare arm, I assumed that she turned around. 

"Can we go out for a moment?" He shook his head towards the door and was about to make a U-turn thinking that Yuri will definitely come with him but she told the doctor that it wouldn't be a problem if he told her in our presence. 

"So ... Where do I start ... Let's sit first of all." We walked over to the other bed that was in her room as well and sat down. 

"Was Ms. Hwang under a lot of stress these days?" We all nodded in unison which was followed by his nodding as he noted something down. 

"I see ... My colleagues and I thought about a heart attack but ... Since we didn't found anything odd in her blood and no arteries were blocked that would support this thesis we assumed another thing ... And now that you told me about the condition in which Ms. Hwang was exposed to stress I'm sure of it... Takotsubo cardiomyopathy. In other words stress-induced cardiomyopathy." All four of us looked at him puzzled because we didn't know what exactly it was. 

"You can say broken-heart syndrome." The trigger was pulled in our heads, more or less, and we could tell what it was about when we added one plus one together. 

"In the report it was stated that the patient suffered from shortness of breath and nose bleed. She didn't respond to anyone therefore she was unconscious. Additionally her heart rate varied sometimes high, sometimes low. I'm sorry to tell you this but Ms. Hwang suffered from a silent heart attack." I gasped and gripped Tiffany's hand again. I wanted to say something but Yuri was faster.

"Silent ... Heart attack?"

"Yeah. As a consequence of the Takotsubo-syndrome ... the death of a loved one , divorce, break up or simply physical separation, betrayal or romantic rejection can be reasons for the stress that effected her health and heart. The lower left heart chamber enlarged and can't pump well anymore. Someone who suffers from the syndrome over a long time in which he or she, in this case Ms. Hwang, doesn't notice her severe condition and does not search for help or get a check up on time, this can happen..." He pointed at Tiffany and didn't speak further. The room was filled with silence as we watched Tiffany. The only things we heard were the sound that the machine made every beat of her heart, the machine that kept her alive as well as her breathing. 

"When will she wake up...?" ...because Tiffany was in coma I was even more worried about her. Yuri, Jessica, Sooyoung and I were all shocked when another doctor had told us that she was in coma. My heart stopped for a moment as soon as I saw so many wires which connected her body and machines. The world stopped in the same time and made me question if I really took care of her properly. Actually, there was nothing odd that made me think about her health. Tiffany didn't tell me how she felt because it was obvious. I could see it in her eyes, even in her smile and hear it in her voice that she craved for Taeyeon ... That she loved her more than anything else in the world. 

Tiffany did not deserve Taeyeon. Even though Tiffany hurt me almost everyday I didn't dare to hurt her. I loved her in every respect. People didn't hurt their loved ones, right? Especially not over a long time. 7 days had past already. 7 days had past in which Taeyeon didn't respond to any of Tiffany's presents or messages. Throughout the 7 days Tiffany was sad. Throughout these 7 days Tiffany lay in her bed, got drunk several times and ended up crying whenever I mentioned her name. Taeyeon ought to know about Tiffany's state of mind therefore I asked myself: Taeyeon, why? Why are you doing that to her!? See, what you've done! 

"First, we need to wait until the doctor, in this case me, I say that she doesn't need the medication anymore. The stress and the heart attack left marks on her brain that would still affect her and get even worse when we didn't put her in an artificial coma. Until she wakes up it can take a few days..." Dr. Choi voiced out. In the next moment, all 5 gazes inverted to the door that opened. It was Tiffany's father, he didn't say anything but instead he gave us a greeting by giving us a short nod. We nodded back in response and followed him with our eyes as he approached his daughter. 

"Miyoung, what's wrong?" Ms. Hwang whispered before he sighed. Caressing her cheek gently, he put his other hand on his daughter's. It was hurtful to see her father like that. He didn't say much but I, and the other ones probably too, could feel his saddened mood. Everyone knew that it was not the right time to say anything and disturb the togetherness between sick daughter and worried father. Besides the doctor everyone kept quiet. 

"Are you Ms. Hwang's father? May I talk to you in another room? I'll tell you about her condition." 

"Yes, I am but can't I have some time alone with her? It's enough to know that my daughter was put in coma. I want to know about the details later." Mr. Hwang's voice got more silent throughout what he had said. He probably was on the verge of crying so I gestured vaguely to signal Dr. Choi not to say something anymore since Mr. Hwang's faced away from us. 

Suddenly, the door opened again. It was a middle-aged woman and behind ... Taeyeon. She looked very enraged but at the same time worried, I would say. What a good thing that I sat on the bed with Yuri and Jessica standing in front of me.  I didn't think that Taeyeon was enraged because I was there because I was sure that she didn't see me ... there was another reason to be angry. It must be something with Yuri when I heard her saying 'I need to talk with Yuri, omma, please excuse us for a moment.' Then I saw Taeyeon gripping on Yuri's wrist and pulling her away from our circle. I turned away so that she doesn't see me and well, she didn't see me. I waited for the door to be opened and shut again before I turned around. 

"That's Taeyeon." Jessica told me. 

"I know. I-I gotta go now." I got off the bed and took my coat afterwards I gave Tiffany's cheek a .

"Why? Where are you going?" Jessica held my wrist and frowned.

"I don't think I should be here..." Before I wanted to yank away my arm, Jessica held it even tighter and spoke up again. Her expression was kind of mad and cold but her voice was rather calm. 

"I think you should be... You are her friend, right? and I'm sure Taeyeon would be very grateful for you bringing her here. Let's go and let me introduce you to her." Jessica pulled me towards the door but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to formally introduce myself without getting a beating. 

"I'm pretty sure that she does not want to know me .." I glanced over to Tiffany and then the doctor who stared at us. His face said it all. Dr. Choi was baffled at our odd conversation by raising one brow. Wasn't it rude? First, he interrupted the silence between daughter and father and now he gave us a look as if he was something better than us.  Sooyoung on the other hand was kind of helpless, being in such situation. 

-----
[Taeyeon] 

"YURI! Why didn't you tell me about Tiffany???" I yelled at first but calmed down after I noticed the doctors looking at us.

"I- we didn't- I mean- do you want to go back to her? Just like that? Are you a gold digger or something? After she spend over 500$ for you, you are going back to her?" 

"It wasn't the numerous presents she sent me that convinced me but instead it was her message behind all that!" 

"..." 

"I would be next to Tiffany now if you have had let me go ... I would've brought her here and tell her that everything will be alright." 

"Someone else brought her here on time ... She was about to bring her here but Jessica and me met her and helped." 

"Who? Who is she?" It was probably evident that I was jealous. I hoped for Hyoyeon or Sooyoung to be the answer but instead I was met with an unknown name. 

"Jiyeon?" I asked. In my mind I tried to match a face to that name but nothing. Was she maybe...? Did Tiffany try to move on? Just like that? I didn't want to imagine the faceless girl caring for Tiffany or making her laugh because I was the one who did that for her. Did Tiffany replace me with some who couldn't possibly be better than me? What was I even thinking ... Eventually, it was my fault. It was my fault after all that I didn't take Tiffany back. If I didn't let her wait for so long, she wouldn't need to look out for a new girlfriend who will do the same things with her we did together.

"I don't know who she is ... She just told me her name was Jiyeon and that's it ... She ..." 

"She ...?" 

"She seemed to be close to Tiffany..." 

"Maybe she is just someone who works for Tiffany ... Nothing more." I tried to convince myself otherwise than I first thought ... I didn't want to feed the thought that Tiffany actually found someone else. Of course I knew that my - ex? - girlfriend didn't love her like she loved me. At least one thing that relieved me a little bit.

"Would a worker look at her boss like she is some goddess or touch her like she is ... Some goddess???" I closed my eyes and clenched my fists to keep my composure. I could flip tables with the anger that build up inside me. So eventually it was true that Tiffany found someone else. 

"Besides you of course." Yuri tried to reassure me by saying that no one can ever take my place. I was sure that no one would but still... I needed to come up with something so Tiffany will come back to me instead of falling for that Jiyeon girl. 

"She is in the room... Didn't you see her?" Yuri asked. 

"No, I didn't because I was to busy to ask myself WHY YOU DIDNT TELL ME EARLIER THAT TIFFANY IS IN COMA INSTEAD I GOT TO KNOW IT WHEN MY MOTHER TOLD ME! SHE HAD TO OPEN MY DOOR AND I HAD TO COME UP WITH A STORY WHY I WAS LOCKED IN MY OWN APARTMENT!" I yelled. Well, I didn't yell actually. I was whispering but like angry-whispering. 

"Do you want to see her?" 

"Who? Tiffany?" 

"I meant Jiyeon... But Tiffany too." 

"I do want to see Tiffany." 

"Then let's go in..." Yuri took my hand and we made our way back from the waiting room to Tiffany's room. I had an odd feeling inside me ... I didn't think I would see Tiffany after a long time in such state in which she didn't even know that I was there. I imagined it like I come home and she is standing in the kitchen burning food like usually. Her face, I imagined, would be shocked and relieved. She would say nothing and run into my arms before I cupped her cheeks to kiss her. I would've been the happiest person - after Tiffany - at that moment. 

I opened the door and my eyes immediately fixed on Tiffany, fading out everything else. I slowly walked towards her and observed her slimmed down and pale face. Before I realized it, my hand caressed her cheek grazing my thumb over her present cheekbone. 

"I am here, Fany." I said as I adjusted her hair. She still looked like a goddess but it was pain to see how much her condition worsened after I've seen her the last time. I still loved her the same, I still had the same feelings before I left her. The craving for her warmth, kisses and the softness of her voice. All that she couldn't please ... The only thing I could do is feel her skin against mine and get used to the feeling again I've missed for so long. I lead my hand along her body towards her hand with the wires that drip fed her and the clip that monitored her heart rate. When I was about to intertwine her fingers with mine someone spoke up to me, breaking in my thoughts. 

"It's enough, isn't it?"