Memories pt. 2

So Similar Yet so Different

[Tiffany-9 years old]
"APPA WHERE IS TAEYEON? I CANT LIVE WITHOUT HER!" Tiffany cried out loud in front of her mum and dad.

"Please calm down miyoung. She is just on a vacation with her parents." Tiffany's mother said as she the back of her daughter's head.

"Vacation? Do you need to pack everything in the house just to go on a vacation?" Her mother looked at her husband with a helpless expression in her face. 

It was 2 weeks ago since Tiffany saw Taeyeon the last time. At first Tiffany's parents told her that Taeyeon is just unwell and needs to rest at home but Tiffany visited Taeyeon's house against her parents will and found out that her best friend isn't just sick. She would ask everyday where the latter is and why she didn't say anything. 

Throughout the weeks the younger one became depressed and it showed when she refused to go to school, didn't wash herself and didn't eat anymore. She refused to eat because it was her way to punish herself because she thought it was her fault that Taeyeon left. She wanted to die painfully like she deserved it. With Taeyeon she had a lot of friends but Tiffany cut any social contact after her disappearing. She didn't talk with anyone not even the teachers and the only thing she talked with her parents wa about Taeyeon's whereabouts. Her parents were so desperate that they ordered a therapist.

After many consultations with the therapist there was no change besides that she at least ate a little and went to school every once in awhile.

One day her parents noticed that their daughter didn't come home when the school already ended 1 hour ago. Tiffany had no friends who she would spend time with so she was always 20 min after school at home. On cue her father became a call from the hospital that their daughter jumped in a river but was rescued by someone and brought to the hospital. It was a safe option for Tiffany to die since she couldn't swim. 

Mother and father worriedly drove there and in no time they stood next to the bed where Tiffany was connected with a generator that helped her to breath. Both of them were shocked. They couldn't get any word out. But her mother interrupted the silence when she broke down in tears hugging her bruised daughter. 

"Miyoung-ah why are you like this? Just because of Taeyeon?"

"Just because of Taeyeon?!" Her dad yelled at his wife. 

"Don't you realize that she was Stephanie's only real friend?" He continued.
"Taeyeon took a big part of her life just like us. Tiffany knows her as long as she knows us. It's reasonable that she is like that." 

"Reasonable? We passed already one year it's not reasonable anymore."

"How can someone be-" he was cut off when a stranger entered the room.

"Is your daughter okay?"

"Are you the one who saved our miyoung?" He nodded and smiled a little at miyoung who obviously didn't die. 

"Thank you, thank you! We are so thankful, we owe you our lives! Please say what you want and we will get it! I can't express how thankful I am." The parents both bowed multiple times.

"First, may I introduce myself? I'm dr. Oh, oh wanghee. I think it's enough to I know that miyoung is stable again but thanks for the offer." He bowed 90 degrees. 

"h wait, there is one thing I would like to ask..." 

"Anything. Just say anything."

"I'm psychologist from this hospital and on the way to work I saved your daughter and brought her here. The doctors told me that she was already here last year because of her depression that led to anorexia." The 2 elders look in guilt to the floor because they thought they were bad parents who couldn't take care of their own daughter. 

"I 'cured' depressive adults with hypnosis and I want you to give me permission to try this on your daughter since I never did it before on kids." He smiled at the elders and then to the right where Tiffany laid. 
Her parents looked at each other worriedly only speaking with their eyes if they give permission or not. 

"What exactly will you do and what's happening with her when you enable hypnosis?" The friendly psychologist explained to them briefly that he will let her forget everything that was happening in a certain time and told them the only hitch was that it is possible that she will be remember again at sometime when she is an adult since her brain is still developing so it's not 100% safe that she will forget it forever. When their parents ask wherefore she would remember again the doctor answered the married couple that she could remember suddenly when she saw something related to the time, like pictures. Tiffany's dad told him the story with Taeyeon followed by the question if it would be a trigger to remember for Tiffany too if she saw Taeyeon ever again.

"In my opinion no because her friend will be changing too in her looks, growing up and all this. If that friend would look like now in 10 years then it will be most likely that she will remember faster but I think that won't happen. She will just forget tae...yoon?"

"Yeon... Tae.yeon." 

"Yeah right Taeyeon. She will just forget her. When you agree with the therapy I recommend you to destroy or store every picture from that time and she won't remember. If she will it can have fatal consequences. She will feel like that time again and a second hypnosis won't work. These are just assumptions from my side since I didn't do it on kids so actually it's unpredictable if she'll ever rememeber again. I will take full responsibilities if something wrong happens. Here is my card." The couple and the psychologist exchanged numbers and agreed on the hypnosis. They arranged a date in the near future and then he left. 
-
"So let's start. Miyoung, please lean back and feel comfortable, do you want sweets?"

"Yeah, I want." She said as he rummage in a box full of candy. He handed her some candies and the 3 adults watch her eating them happily. 

Tiffany munched on the toffee and asked what they will do. 

"Miyoung please swallow before you eat." Then she swallowed the big chunk and waited expectantly for an answer as she looked at the Doctor.

"This is a game. Do you want to start the fun game?" She nodded happily and leaned back like he said in the beginning.

"It's not difficult. Just look to the ball up there and follow it with your eyes and when you not focus on the ball you lose okay?" He pointed at the hanging sphere on the ceiling and began to let it swing to and fro. 

"I'll tell you something but you don't need to listen." He wrote something down on his clipboard and said that Taeyeon never existed and there is no need to remember her that she should forget everything that had to do with her best friend. 

"The next time you'll wake up there is no memory of her and this hour. Live your life freely miyoung." And in no time Tiffany closed her eyes and fell asleep.

------------------------

"She wakes up guys!" I heard a familiar voice say. My head hurt and my sight was still blurry I couldn't really recognize the people that were standing around me. 

"Tiffany! Thank god! What exactly happened?" I rubbed my eyes and slowly gained conscious. Yuri, Jessica, Hyoyeon and Sooyoung. All of them were looking down on me. I touched my head and felt a bandage around it. Still confused why I was in the hospital I let my gaze roam the sterile white room. When I found in the corner next to the door someone dressed in full blue who slept on an armchair I stopped since it was really odd. 'The person is sleeping in my room while I wake up?'

The arms crossed on the chest, the head hanging low. I rubbed my eyes again in disbelief. I felt my eyes tearing up. 

"T-Taeyeon?" I wanted to stand up but the numerous wire that were connected with my body and a computer prevented me to do so. Jessica pushed me back on the bed and said:

"What the..? Tiffany you need to rest and the only one you care is her or what?!" I yanked my hand away from her what gained shocked and surprised faces from the other 3.

"TAEYEON YOU ARE BACK!" I didn't care if she wakes up. I started to cry and yelled at Taeyeon that she should wake up before the same person who pushed me pressed her hand in front of my mouth. I tried to rip off the wires when Hyoyeon and Yuri stopped me.

"Tiffany stop it! What is wrong with you!" When she said that I saw Taeyeon stirring up from her sleep looking at me all sleepy. 

"Why are you so loud Tiffany?" She stood up from the armchair and limped to me. When she was in front of me I looked at her in disbelief and cried again. 

"Taeyeon you are back! Why did you leave me? I cried everyday because you left, aren't you happy to see me too?!" I pulled Taeyeon closer to me and hugged her so tight that she couldn't leave me again. 

She responded non verbal as she hugged me back and my back up and down. 

A husky cough came closer to us and said to the women that he needs to speak with them. 

"Appa! Taeyeon is back! I missed her so much! Can you believe it?" He hugged me too and patted my head  after Taeyeon let me go. He said that he is happy that I'm happy although of what happened yesterday.

 I was left alone in the room, not caring what they need to discuss. I was so happy that Taeyeon was here. I hugged her coat that she left on my bed and sniffed her scent that soon became addicting and familiar.

After 10 min all of them came back with an expression I couldn't describe. It was different from the one they had before they left the room. Especially Taeyeon, her eye were more swollen and red as they were before already. 'Did she cry?' Then I realized that I was at the hospital and my head was bandaged. I could imagine why I was here but to make sure I asked them. 

"Don't you remember?" Taeyeon responded with a question.

"I think I fell because this." I pointed at my head. All of them look at each other not knowing what to answer. 

"Do you really not remember? Please think Tiffany." My father said. I leaned back in the bed and thought about it for a while. When I looked at Taeyeon the trigger was pulled. My head hurt again as the memories flooded back. The other ones noticed how I felt when I furrowed my brows and brought up my hands to squeeze the pain away. 

They called a nurse and moments later she came and connected me with an infusion to kill the pain. The whole room was silent as the infusion began to operate. I laid in the bed with my eyes closed processing what memories came back. 

"I'm confused." I said looking at the 6 people who stood around me. 

"We know miyoung." My father said. 
"I have something to tell you." Then he told me the whole story with the hypnosis back then and Taeyeon who left me 17 years ago but came back last year already. 

"She didn't come back just now miyoung-ah." He whispered as he took my left hand and the knuckles with his thumb. I was even more confused. I thought about it until I realized that every thing he said made sense. I could remember how I put Taeyeon's table in my room and her flirt with Siwon and her cocky and smug comments in my car. Even the incident where I was almost but saved by her.

I didn't know how to feel. Many emotions were mirrored in my face. Cold, amused, angry, keen, insecure but especially frustrated and worried. I could feel how my expression changed from happy smiling to mad frowning and then from neutral to confused again.