Corpse

So Similar Yet so Different

[TAEYEON]
"It's enough, isn't it?" I turned around to the person who had pulled me away slightly and didn't expect her at all. I clenched my jaw and tried hard not to punch in her face. Was that the girl Yuri was talking about? Jiyeon who brought her here and touched my girl more than she should be? It can't be, right? But it turned out to be true when I looked around the room in hope that I'll see someone else who might be Jiyeon. No other stranger shared with me the room besides a young man with a doctor gown. I remembered seeing Tiffany's father sitting next to her but he wasn't there anymore as well as my mother. 

"Jiyeon, right? May I talk to you privately?" it wasn't easy not to hit her when the others are around. That girl who was with Tiffany when I wasn't, that girl who touched Tiffany is the same girl who kissed her. 

Her face looked kind of tensed but dominant as if she tried to look down on me. But I didn't care whatever she thought of me because apparently Jiyeon was just an unnecessary acquaintance in my life who tried to steal, not anyone's girl but my girl. 

We walked outside and as soon as the door closed I pushed her against the wall with a big thud, hitting the wall next to her face. 

"What. The. . Are you doing here?" She pushed me by my chest and answered like she had no fear but I knew she was a little scared. 

"Because you, incapable , can't take care of her..." Jiyeon sternly said as she pointed at my face. 

"Because of you! She got a heart attack! She was put in an artificial coma! I was the one who tried to make her happy and not YOU!" Whenever she said it was because of me she took a step forward making me back up until I bumped into the other wall. What she had said seemed for me like a lie ... What was she accusing me of? That I almost killed Tiffany? 

"YOU ALMOST KILLED HER!" Jiyeon yelled in my face as if she read my mind. Just like me a moment ago she hit against the wall next to me wherefore I twitched.

"What did you just say? Say it again!" I demanded as I mirrored her action earlier. Pushing her I felt how much strength she actually had. Honestly, I kind of got scared since I was facing a person who committed a kidnap ... I didn't know and didn't want to know what she was capable of when I provoke her even more. 

"You. Almost. Killed. Her." Her voice that reached my ear sent shiver down my spine in which I closed my eyes for a short moment to gain a confident composure. What made it even harder to concentrate was her warm breath which hit against my cheek. I was so scared of her and the words she had said were so credible that I believed it by myself already. Saying it the second time was enough to make me believe that I was at fault for Tiffany's condition. 

"I-I didn't do anything that could've killed her." I replied, trying to stay tough. 

"Do you want to hear what she did because of you?" She shifted her weight on one foot and crossed her arms. 

"Let me think ... There were so many things she did because of you..." Jiyeon started as she looked above, remembering what 'I did'. Luckily, she calmed down and didn't use that scary voice anymore that made me feel threaten as soon as I heard the first tone of it. 

"Writing a letter in the middle of the night, bawling her eyes out all at long, drinking at least 8 soju bottles in the past few day, running through the rain just to get you the sweets you like ... What else is-" 

"That's enough. Just stop." I held my flat hand in front of her face, an obvious sign to stop. 

"Ah some days the only thing she said was: I love Taeyeon, I love Taeyeon bla bla bla." Even though I told her to stop she spoke further wherefore I couldn't hold it anymore and just slapped her cheek with all my might. 

"Did you... *gasps* ... I ... Okay, it's okay..." Fanning herself, she tried to calm down after my slap had left a scratch on her left cheek. 

"Oh blood." Jiyeon said as she rubbed the blood between her thumb and middle finger.  

"Honestly? I haven't planned on telling you this but you are asking for it, right?" I pushed her aside but was stopped when she pulled me back by my wrist. After that Jiyeon captured me in between her arms, supporting herself on the wall before she spoke up again. 

"Tiffany does not deserve you. You are a horrible person. A ing horrible person. Do you know why? Because you broke her heart. Because you took advantage of her love for you. Because you wanted her money. Am I right? I am right. Tz tz tz. I'll get going now ... I want to get rid of that dirt in my eyes called Kim Taeyeon. Your level is too low for me." Before Jiyeon left, she poked my forehead with her index finger in which the back of my head hit the wall behind me. 

"I'll come up with a surprise. Just wait for it!" Jiyeon yelled through the hallways, gaining weird looks of doctors and nurses as well as patients who were strolling around. 

"I'm capable of everything, Kim! Besides drawing ... I can't draw!" Voicing out about her abilities, she laughed like a crazy girl afterwards and left behind the corner. 'What a dumb girl.' I thought as I rubbed the back of my head. Fortunately, before I went back in Tiffany's room I noticed my tear stained face when I touched my face to feel my blood rushed cheeks. With my sleeve, I tapped it dry and took a deep breath. 

------

2 days later. The doctor said that Tiffany still needed time for her recovery so there was still no sight of her 'awakening' and Jiyeon either - but that's another topic. However they'll stop the medication earlier than they've planned because of fortunate circumstances he said. Today I was alone with Tiffany. It was very nice ... I could talk with her without any person interrupting me and asking what I was doing. Whether it's a slight hand movement or a full sentence (very doubtful), I just wished she would answer me somehow and show me that she knew about my presence. A day before I read a lot about coma. People in coma can't perceive their environment like touches or voices like we, conscious people, do, because her brain swelled, it pushed down the brain stem which is responsible for arousal and awareness. 

I silently came in and walked over her after I put down a bag with some things I brought for her. 

"Hey baby." I said. 

"It has been a while since I called you that, right?" I paused and took her hand that lay next to her body. Invading the scent of her, I remembered all the happy moments we had together. The moment she confessed to me in the theatre, our daily cuddling sessions in which I drowned in the scent of her crown, our mixed laughs that filled the air and much more. 

I intertwined our fingers and stared at the girl who broke my heart by cheating on me. But when I looked at her, laying in that bed, not able to respond to any of my and other people's action my broken heart fixed little by little even though she hurt me a lot. Call me pitiful but her face, that I tried to avoid because of my pride, let me forget about it pretty much. 1 minute was enough to make me think that it never happened. 1 minute was enough to vanish away all my frustration and anger. 1 minute was enough to make feel loved again even if she didn't do anything other than laying in that bed.

"I can't believe I'm doing this. I wanted to avoid you, never see you again (if possible) but if I had known that you are so heart broken, probably even more than me, I wouldn't have let you wait for so long. I'm sorry, Miyoung. I've been missing you a lot. Maybe you thought I didn't but I did. Why? you ask?" Even though she didn't ask, I wanted to build up a conversation somehow. 

"Because I love you Miyoung-ah. I love you, do you still love me?" I waited for an answer despite I knew, or expected, no answer would come. 

Seconds went by in which I stared at her that I didn't notice the machine going wild. I got up from the chair as my gaze swayed to Tiffany and then to the machine and again to Tiffany. A moment later the door opened and 3 doctors rushed in. 

"Please get the bag valve mask and  an injection type II!" One doctor said, pushing me aside. 

"Here." The machine's sound which monitored her heart rate suddenly started to get faster and faster until the injection operated. After he had  inserted the syringe following with the injection of the liquid it didn't take long and soon her heart rate went down to the normal frequency. 

"You did it again Miyoung." The doctor said, patting her arm before he turned around to me. 

"Does it happen often?" He nodded and sighed in relief.

"Anyeonghaseyo, I think we didn't meet before. Let me introduce myself ... Dr. Oh Jeremy." He stretched out his hand and smiled brightly. I didn't want to be rude or anything so I shook his hand and introduced myself by courtesy.

"American?" I asked since, obviously, his name wasn't Korean.

"Yes, I am." I felt uncomfortable when he winked at me flirtatious after the other doctors had left. 

"Do you possibly know her?" Dr. Oh took a glimpse at Tiffany before he nodded again. Because he didn't speak further I gave him a questioning look. 

"I- when we were in high school, she was my first love. For a couple of month we were an item but I think I wasn't her first love when she broke up with me." Again he looked at her with a sad expression in his face. Honestly, I was somewhat jealous. Who knew if he still had remaining feelings for Tiffany. I was sure that she wouldn't jump off the bed any second, trying to make me understand what's going on and in addtion there was actually nothing to worry about since they were each other's past and not future ... I was Tiffany's future. 

"I just met you and you immediately tell me about the story of your life?" 

"People who are close to the patient are the only ones, besides the doctors and nurses, who can enter the rooms. I assume that you are her friend or something ... I have nothing to hide, I can openly speak about my past. You are her friend, right?" 

"No, I'm-"

"I'm sure you don't belong to her family either..." 

"I'm her girlfriend." I answered which gained widened eyes from his side. 

"G-g-girlfriend?" This time I nodded before I intertwined my with Tiffany's fingers. 

"That would explain why she always stared at other girls during our relationship..." He spoke to himself as he looked down on the floor, fidgeting with the sharp instrument.

"...never mind..." He continued.

"What happened before that?" Dr. Oh asked, changing the topic. He held up the empty syringe and put it in a bowl beside Tiffany's bed. 

"I-I don't know ... I just talked to her and then ... Then you suddenly came in." 

"Oh, right. It happens sometimes that when coma patients hear their partner's voice their heart literally flutters or when they hear something exciting it happens too. It has its good sides but also bad. The former would be that the patient recovers faster but sometimes the heart beats so fast which will give more pain to the patient even though she doesn't feel it. The recovery will take longer when we have to give her more medication. You can be relieved though, because it rarely happens ... Referring to the latter." I gasped in relief and clutched onto my heart. I was so impatient to hear Tiffany's voice again that I was shocked  that the awaited moment will be delayed.

"Talk to Miyoung. I'm sure she likes it. Her family and friends should do the same. The more you speak to her the sooner we are going to stop the medication." 

-------

1 day later. "Today, I was eating American with my brother. I ordered fries and Jiwoong took a Cheeseburger."   I wrenched the rag, which I used to wash her, and dipped it again in the warm water.

"It's a nice place where we ate. We should visit it some time too. I'm sure you will like it, baby." Bringing the cloth up to her face, I started to clean it. First her forehead, along the bridge of her nose and then her jaw. Following with her neck, I tucked down the hem of Tiffany's gown to give myself more access to her chest. 

"What did you eat?" It took me one moment to realize that Tiffany was drip fed. Every time I said something I felt like she would answer me. I didn't know how or if I'm just paranoid but in my head I could make out what she would be saying if she were conscious. 

"Oh, my bad..." I brought the bucket full of warm water away and came back with dry towels. 

"You look pretty, baby." Drying her body, I noticed that her bracelet was still attached on her wrist. I asked myself if they didn't take it off since she was hospitalized. I took it and tried to take it off, just in case, but I didn't even find the clip to open it. 

"Huh?" I turned it and turned it until I noticed that the clasp was welded. Welded, so that it was impossible to open it unless you cut it apart. 

"What are you doing Tiffany?" I asked her. That was probably the reason why they didn't take it off ... Because it wasn't possible. 

"You are really sweet. Why didn't I appreciate your love more? Did you really have to do that just to show me how much you love me?" I kissed her forehead and caressed her cheek afterwards.