[HYEJEONG X MINA] - Kissing The Rain

AOA One-Shot Collection

 

 

 

Characters: Shin Hyejeong, Kwon Mina

Genre: Angst

Word count: 1984

 


 

 

 

 

This story won't have a happy ending. No. If you don't like sad endings please leave. I'm already warning you.

 

-

 

It rained cats and dogs outside. As you usually know, rainy weathers are perfect for people to hear sad songs or read sad stories to make it even sadder. Or maybe you could cry out of a sudden because of remembering someone you miss or know. You could just sit on bed alone, not be able to go anywhere because you're just too lazy. You could just eat your hot mac n' cheese while watching TV. Or maybe you're experiencing REAL sadness? Your sadness gets deeper because of the rain? Well, Shin Hyejeong experienced the same thing as you. But her story is a bit different from yours.

 

-

 

Hyejeong sat on the hospital bed, she huffed and puffed due to the nervousness. She'll be getting a heart surgery. She has a heart disease which attacked her since the last two months. Well, her family is marked wealthy, so her father is able to get her only daughter for a high-class treatment in the hospital. Hyejeong's happy about it, but the only thing she's worrying about is how is she gonna live. She doesn't want to die. She can just cry about the disease she's having. If she died, the things she'll miss will be her parents, and a very precious best friend - Kwon Mina.

 

The raindrops ticked against the window, making the atmosphere gloomy. The girl can't move but just stay on bed and hearing the heartbeat machine beside her beeped. She plopped her head on the headrest, and let out a sigh after. 'I wish Mina was here..She will make everything better just by me looking at her bubbly face.' Hyejeong thought. Her mom was gone to buy food and her dad was downstairs purchasing some medicines for his daughter.

 

Hyejeong turned over to grab her phone on the table nearby. She immediately tapped on Mina's number. There's so much hope in her heart as the phone beeped. Her mood brightened up as Mina's familiar voice can be heard. -

 

"Yes, Hyejeong?" Mina answered Hyejeong's call.

 

"Mina-ya.." Hyejeong said breathlessly.

 

"I know your heart hurts. Everything is gonna be alright! Trust me!" Mina encouraged and it made Hyejeong smiled weakly - but that isn't enough to calm her down.

 

"N-No..It's not about it..It's--I miss you." the tall girl pouted.

 

"I miss you too. I think of you everyday. I wish I could just visit you. I wish I could just hug you despite all my work as a student." Mina's tone got lower as her mood sadden up.

 

"I'm getting a surgery soon.. please pray for me." Hyejeong said.

 

"I'll always pray for my Hyejeong. Always. Remember that I love you, OK?"  Mina said, making Hyejeong couldn't help but tear up.

 

"Aww..you're making me tear up.." Hyejeong said in a trembling voice, wiping her tears.

 

Mina chuckled, "I love you my Hyejeong. I wish you all the best for you surgery. Once again, I love you."

 

"I love you too. And if I die..will you always remember me?" Hyejeong said, making the other girl confused.

 

"You're not. Gonna die. Believe that you're gonna live a happy life after. I'm sure. I gotta go now, my schoolwork is getting on my nerves." Mina excused, ending the call soon.

 

"Bye~ Gonna miss you." Hyejeong said, feeling a bit dissapointed. She pressed the 'End Call' button after that. 'Damn, just talking to Mina made me so happy.' Hyejeong muttered before putting the phone down, realizing that she'll have to go back to reality. Her mind flies off to nowhere but then came back as her dad creaked open the door. "Dad..my chest aches.." Hyejeong whined, clutching on her chest tightly. After putting the medicines on a table, her dad checked up Hyejeong's heartbeat on the heartbeat machine. It's racing. It's fast. After a few minutes of thinking, they were both startled by the opening door sound. It was Hyejeong's mom and the doctor.

 

Her mom approached her daughter together with the doctor, checking up on her condition. By looking at the doctor's solemn expression, Hyejeong could tell that he's thinking seriously. "Mr and Mrs.Shin, Hyejeong must get the surgery now. We need to check up on her." the doctor stated. The Shin family became nervous, especially Hyejeong. "I'll call the nurses to get her to the operating room." the doctor said again, making the Shin family did nothing but hope for the best for their one and only daughter, Shin Hyejeong.

 

Meanwhile, at Mina's apartment..

 

Mina has lots of things piled up in her mind. The most important is about her loved best friend, Hyejeong. Altough she was concentrating on school stuff, Hyejeong never got off her mind. That girl made her life feels much more complete. Everything about her - her wide smile, her tall posture, her brownish hair, her eyes - just by Mina seeing them makes her happy.

 

She held a pen to an assignment due by tomorrow. She clenched her teeth, held the pen and closed her eyes tightly, trying to not to get too much Hyejeong in her mind. Helding it too tight, the pen flew off her grip.

 

"I must visit Hyejeong." Mina thought to herself. "There's no way I'm gonna forget about her.". She changed her clothes, packed important stuff into her average-sized backpack, took her apartment keys, turned off the lights, and leave her apartment for a while just to get her mind off schoolwork.

 

Since her school is at Busan and Hyejeong is at Seoul, it would be simple to go there just by train. Mina went to a nearby underground train station and bought a ticket to Seoul. by this, she would be able to see Hyejeong soon.

 

-

 

At the hospital..

 

Mr. and Mrs.Shin were waiting outside the operating room. The atmosphere was full of hope and nervousness. Mrs. Shin was just crying the whole time worrying about their daughter. Altough himself was crying inside, Mr. Shin comforted his wife the whole time and telling her to calm down.

 

An hour later..the doctor came out of the operating room. Like usual, the parents immediately approached him. After breathing out a sigh, he said "I'm sorry to say this, but..Hyejeong is in a coma now." Before he could even finish his words, Mrs. Shin cutted, "What else, Doc???" she asked worriedly. "..And she needs a heart donor. We'll be moving your daughter back to the ICU." he stated and called the nurses again. With puzzled looks and teary eyes, Mr and Mrs Shin were baffled that Hyejeong needs a heart donor.

 

The next day, Mr and Mrs Shin tried to donor their heart to Hyejeong. After taking the donor test, their heart isn't suitable for a donor to Hyejeong. That made them lose hope. Magic happens the next day.

 

-

 

"Ma'am, I'm Kwon Mina. I'm Hyejeong's best friend. I came here to visit her. May I come in?" Mina excused politely infront of Hyejeong's room. As the parents hear, Mrs.Shin opened the door and revealed an innocent, short girl wearing a furry beige coat, broken white shirt and short denim jeans. "O-Ohh, Mina.. and yes, you may come in." she opened the door a little wider for Mina. "Hello, sir. I'm Kwon Mina. I'm here to visit my best friend which is your daughter." Mina bowed as soon as she saw Mr.Shin. "Ahh, yes. We'll be going out for a while so you can spend time here." Mr.Shin said. Mina smiled, "Thank you! I promise to not to do anything to her." she said before the parents went out.

 

She looked at Hyejeong, who was still in a coma since the last 2 days. It made her sad yet happy just to see her.

 

Sound track for more feels!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zdmFHf4Wkk

 

Mina began to tear up, being the sensitive girl she is. "Hyejeong..do you remember me?" she approached closer, holding Hyejeong's cold hand.

 

"I came here only for you.." Mina held the older girl's hand tighter. Tighter that her tears began to flow. She looked at Hyejeong's expressionless face, and remembered all the flashbacks. The flashbacks about her being with Hyejeong all the time. 

 

"You remember when we used to play in the rain all the time? You remember when it's raining at school, you'll always be there protect me? You remember when you confessed to me when it rains? You remember when we were always for each other? You remember when we kissed in the rain?" Mina asked Hyejeong questions even though she isn't able to respond. Mina's eyes started to flow out fresher tears when it started to rain outside. "Look, Hyejeong. It's raining outside. And I'm happy I'm together with you." she said in a trembling voice. Mina's tears landed on Hyejeong's cheek, making her looked like she's crying, too.

 

"Just..let me kiss you. For the last time." Mina said, leaning in closer to Hyejeong's face. She closed her eyes and put her shaking lips against Hyejeong's lips. Mina kissed her for a few seconds before she broke the kiss. "That was the last one. I love you." she said before hugging Hyejeong tightly. Altough more tears flowed, she's still happy she's able to see Hyejeong. She took out a pen and wrote a short letter to give it to Mrs.Shin.

 

After that, she wiped her tears, went out and gave the letter to Mrs. Shin. "Ma'am, this is for Hyejeong. Give it to her when she wakes up." Mina commanded politely. And Mrs. Shin approved. By that, Mina leaved with new tears flowing again.

 

A few minutes later, the same doctor came in running. He approached Mr and Mrs Shin excitedly, "Mr, Mrs, Hyejeong has got the perfect donor for her heart. We aren't allowed to tell you who because the donor told us to not to." he announced. "Really???? Yay!! Honey, our daughter got a donor!! He/She must be an angel from the heavens." Mr.Shin cheered and Mrs.Shin got happy, too.

 

The next day, Hyejeong must undergo a surgery again in order to get a new heart donor. Happy, nervous and hopeful were mixed up when her parents waited infront of the operating room.

 

And indeed, the surgery went successful.

 

-

 

"Mom, who was the donor for my heart?" Hyejeong asked, feeling happy that her heart is now healthy, altough herself is still staying in the hospital for a few more days.

 

"I'm sorry dear, but..someone wrote this for you." Mrs. Shin handed a small piece of paper.

 

 

Hyejeong cried so hard when she read it. It says:

 

Hi Hyejeongie :)

i am sorry.. i'm the one who gave my heart for you.

i am in heaven now. thank you for everything you gave me in my life i'll always treasure it in my heart. remember when i say you're gonna live a happy life once you recover? it came true right? :D

i hope you'll live  until you got old,  even  without me.

your smile is always in my heart, our laughs, our inside jokes, our moments, our first kiss.

i love you and i always will, hyejeong.

 

-Kwon Mina, your best best friend.

 

-End.

 

 

Epilogue:

 

2 years later..

 

It was raining lightly.

 

Hyejeong walked up to Mina's grave, carrying a bouquet of flowers. She smiled slightly when she saw Mina's name. She crouched beside her grave, putting the flowers gently on it. "Mina-ya. I lived even a healthier life with the heart you gave me. Altough my loss of you left such a deep pain for me. But, thank you." Hyejeong said, carressing Mina's tombstone. Without her realization, Mina's spirit came behind her, altough she isn't able to feel. "I love you, and I always will." she said, as the rain ticked down her lips, as she's kissing the rain.

 

Mina's spirit approached her and slowly backhugging her. She whispers -

 

I love you too, and I always will.