Black & White

Sykotica Preview Layouts
XSYKOTICA
VOLUME LXXIX: Black & White ~ Chances
Sykotica Notes: No images used. Be aware that there is a fairly noticable white gap at the bottom of this layout
“Have you seen the princess lately?”

“I saw her in the morning, yesterday, at young master Ki’s grave but I haven’t seen her ever since then.”

The two girls were cleaning the spiral stairs in the northeast tower as they talked.

“I heard she wanted to see the garden. Perhaps she stayed out too long and caught a cold.”

“That must be it. She is such a delicate girl.”

“I’ve only seen her a few times but she has the sweetest smile.”

“Don’t forget her fair skin and her bright brown eyes.”

“Have you heard the princess sing or play the piano? She is like a heavenly song bird and she plays beautifully.”

“The princess is also very clever. Yesterday, before her daily visit to young master Ki’s grave, she made a sturdy handle out of grass for my buckets.”

“She goes to visit that gravestone every day. I wonder what kind of relationship they had before he died and what kind of person young master Ki use to be…” The girl looked up and saw that they had only finished less than a quarter of the stairs.

“Maybe they were lovers. He must have been as handsome as Master Jun since I heard they were identical twins.”

“How could that be? The princess was only ten years old back then-“ the girl put down the dirty cloth and started counting her fingers,” it was nine years ago when young master Ki died and the princess is now nineteen.”

“Well, I still think the princess would have matched-“

“What is the meaning of this?” A cold voice interrupted their conversation. “Gossiping so early in the morning?” She was the stewardess in charge of all the castle servants. Giving the girls a stern look while walking down the stairs towards them, she continued, “I will pardon your insolence once but if this happens again, you will both be punished.”

They were fairly new maids who had yet to discover how sever the punishments were. In fact, the reason why they were brought here was because the castle was short on servants. A few of the regular maids were taken to the “Flower Bed” but they never made it out alive. Those girls did not have the princess’ strength.

The stewardess knew how horrible it was in the room underneath the flower garden. She had been taken there twice before and barely kept her sanity intact. But the princess, she had entered that place so many times, it was hard to keep count.

Being the stewardess, she was entitled to know the princess’ true whereabouts. The other servants, even the ones who had served the family for as long as she, had no idea that the princess experienced their pain and a handful more.

The princess was still in the “Flower Bed.” It must have been painful as usual. She would without a doubt stay there for a few days more until she could walk out with her head held high. Strong and proud, Hye Sun was indeed the high princess of all princesses.

-

Jun went out to stretch his legs (and perhaps catch a glimpse of Hye) but unfortunate for him, she was nowhere to be found. She must be in her room or in another part of the castle, he thought.

When he returned to the study room, the candles had gone out, every single one of them. Cautiously, Jun moved into the dark room towards the center of the room. He felt around for the candle on his desk and re-lit it. Jun released a sigh and sat down. In front of him, on his messy desk, was the family book. Oddly, it was open. Jun was sure he had closed it when he left the room. He was about to re-close the book when a word on the page caught his eye. Jun leaned in closer and continued reading.

This was it.

This was what he had been searching for. Jun was shocked and overjoyed at the same time. It was all going to be alright but then, something still bothered him. Who was it that entered into his locked study room and opened the family book to this particular page? Whoever it was must have meant no harm. They had helped him. They had helped Hye. Before he could carry out his plan, Jun had to convince all the elders as well as the witch. He had to persuade them to allow the union between Hye and himself. After they agree, which he was sure they would after listening to what he had to say, Jun could finally send Hye away from this place.

He wanted to speak to the elders immediately but that would have to wait until Easter Sunday when everyone was present at the castle. Jun decided to celebrate by grabbing a drink or two down in the village below. It was possible he might be lucky enough to run into his most trusted friend (maybe his only friend). It had been four years since their first encounter. After the first meeting, there were many other times when they bailed one another out coincidently. It was as if they were meant to be each other’saviors.

When Jun got to the marketplace, he came upon two people arguing in front of the bakery stall:

“I forgot my coin pouch on my motorcycle. I’ll go get it and pay you double.”

“How can I trust you won’t run away?! You even said ‘motocyle’ to confuse me.”

“How should I say this… a motorcycle is like the better version of a horse...Hmm… How about you come with me to get it?”

“”You know I can’t. Look at all the customers I have.”

“Then you will have to trust me.”

“Trust a person as strange as you? Look at those clothes and that face and-“

“Okay…okay… How about I work here for a couple of hours to pay it off? I mean, how much is it? Not that much, a loaf of bread.”

“What can a fool like you possibly do?” The baker was about to smack the odd looking person with the tray but before it went crashing down, Jun was able to hold the baker’s arm back.

“Why don’t I just pay for my friend here and trouble you no further.”

The baker raised an eyebrow, “This clown is your friend? I mean, sir. You are respectable and-“

“He may look like a creep but I would trust him with my life.”

The odd looking person just smiled as Jun took out his coin pouch and paid the man.

When they were both far away from the bakery stall, one of them spoke, “Fancy seeing you out here again, Ki.”

Jun almost forgot he had told his friend that ‘Ki’ was his name.

He felt a little guilty but it wasn’t really a lie.

“Let me guess, you don’t really have the money to pay the man.”

“Don’t be so serious all the time.” He poked Jun’s shoulder playfully.

“What do you do with all your money, Jae? I always find you in these situations.”

Jae played with his ruby earring (on the ear that wasn’t torn), “Well, you know… I put it here and there… but mostly there. I have a thing for buying little objects that remind me of the outside world. This place is like a huge bubble. Sometimes I can’t stand living in this old fashioned place. I want to watch TV again.”

Jun wanted to laugh at him for being such a fool but he suppressed it and kept his straight face, “Why haven’t you left this place yet? It sounds like you have a problem living here.”

“Not everything is bad here. I mean, I got to befriend you and her…” Jae’s voice lost its usual bounce. He looked rather upset as if he was recalling some sad memory.

“You were all pumped up a minute ago, what happened? Who is this ‘her’?” Jun ruffled his hair.

Jae removed Jun’s hand from his head, “I’ve got to go, Ki… got something I have to do.”

Jae left Jun standing there.

“So much for buying him a drink,” Jun mumbled to himself.

In all four years of knowing him, Jae had never left without a proper goodbye. This wasn’t like him at all but he’ll be alright. Jae has always been alright.

•••
•••