Venetian

Sykotica Preview Layouts
XSYKOTICA
VOLUME LXXVII: Venetian ~ Fairytale Castle
Hye bent down to place the flower circlet on top of Ki’s gravestone. The ribbons attached to the crown fluttered in the wind. She had made one for Jun and one for Ki like she frequently did for the past nine years. Even when she knew neither one of them would wear it. Perhaps it was because she missed how they all were before when the forest was their home. It was where they were free to laugh, play, and poke fun at Ki for being so cynical. Those days will never come again. With one brother dead and the other not all there, it was the impossible.

Hye was trapped within these cursed walls and Jun wasn’t even close by to comfort her (not that anything possible could offer her closure). Jun probably didn’t care about them anymore. He was busy with the affairs of state and family. Every time she walked pass the study room, Hye would steal a glance inside. Jun was always at his fine, mahogany desk reading or writing something. There was one time when she entered the room to speak with him. Jun told her that after he was done with his work, he would call for her.

He never did.

She wanted to think that he had merely forgotten about it. But of course, she wasn’t that dim-witted to truly believe such a thing.

Although it appeared to everyone that Jun hated Hye, in reality, he loved her very much but he would never admit something like that even to himself. Jun thanked his brother for faking his lack of intelligence when they were young. Now, the whole castle thinks that he is somewhat slow. They didn’t question why it took him so long to write a short letter to the village leader nor did they make a fuss about him spending too much time studying the family book.

It only took Jun a minute to finish writing and sealing the letter. The rest of the time was used to devise a plan to send Hye away from the castle. The reason was not because he wanted her as far away from him as possible… rather; it was for her own well being. Although he didn’t know what the cause was, he knew she was suffering inside.

It was the castle’s fault. It had to be this damned fairytale castle.

Hye took a short walk to the place where no one in the castle ever came. It was a little hidden grove past the rubbles (which was once the northwest wall). She sat down on the bench and watched the grass wiggle under her feet.

Green leaves started shaking.

Jae appeared out from the green hedges behind her.

Hye gave a sigh of relief when she saw the familiar long brown hair and black clothes, “Good. It was just you, Jae.”

“Who did you think it was?” Jae was curious. He wondered if she was waiting or hiding from someone.

“I thought you were my mother.”

Jae laughed even though she spoke seriously, “Your mother would pop out of the bushes? That is a bit too much, don’t you think?”

“I suppose.”

“So, how fares our princess on this wonderfully windy morning?” Jae took a crooked bow which made his long hair fall to one side revealing his torn ear.

Hye had the sudden urge to touch his old wound but refrained from doing so. If it was a few years back, she would have touched that scar of his, braided his hair, and wiped away that annoying lipstick on his pink lips. Now was different. She couldn’t allow herself to touch him so freely. Hye was afraid that he could see through her if they made contact. She was afraid he would see her scars.

Hye envied Jae.

He had nothing to hide while she had everything to hide.

“Is there something wrong?” He took a small step towards her but they were already so very close.

“I’m fine.” Hye immediately responded in a composed manner. “I was just thinking about the wind.” She added.

“What about it?” Jae laid down on the grass in front of the bench she was seated on and looked up at the blue sky through the leaves.

“The wind travels to so many places. If only it had a voice… then I would know about the outside world. How big it really is…”

Jae couldn’t help smiling, “Don’t I bring you enough trinkets from outside to know? I think I’ve spent countless hours telling you stories about the different places I’ve been to.”

“How do I know you’re not making this up and bring me little things that fit your stories?”

“You’ll just have to trust me then, princess.”

“Of course… I must. It would be a shame not to believe those wonderful stories.” Hye stood up to leave.

She stepped carefully around him.

“Wait. Are you annoyed with me?” Jae grabbed the hem of her white dress and that was when he saw them, the menacing lines that glared down at him from under her dress.

“No, I’m not annoyed. Good day, Jae.” Hye pulled the fabric out of his shaking hand and slightly quickened her pace.

Jae unfroze and scrambled to his feet. He easily caught up with Hye and and took her wrist from behind. Jae pulled her so she faced him. He searched her face for answers but he was only able to glimpse a hint of sadness before it quickly disappeared. It passed by so fast, Jae couldn’t even tell if he imagined it all.

“Please let go of my wrist, Jae.” Her tone was indifferent.

“What are those marks I just saw… It looked like you were…” Jae couldn’t utter it out loud.

“Let go. You’re hurting me.”

“I’m not letting go until you tell me what is going on!” Jae tightened his grip and she winched under his sudden strength. His eyes were wide open. Hye could clearly see his black eyeliner as she looked directly into his eyes.

“There is nothing really going on, Jae. Please let go of me.” She said with a straight face.

Jae held her wrist so tightly that he could feel the blood pumping in her veins. He released his grip reluctantly.

Jae spoke but this time, softly, “You can tell me, Hye. Is someone hurting you? Are you-“

“What has gotten into you, Jae-“

“It is you who is acting strange. I can’t describe it. It’s like you’re treating me like everyone else!”

“I must go now. We will talk again another day when you’re not emotionally unstable and you can tell me a new story. You know the way out.”

He didn’t like the feeling of not know. Her scars didn’t look like they were caused by an accident. It was definitely deliberate. But she… she refuse to tell him and that drove him crazy.

When he finally got back his senses, she had already disappeared away from the secret shelter of thick trees and shrubs.

There was nothing else he could do but leave with a heavy heart.

If she refused to tell him the next time they meet then, he would have to find out himself.

Hye’s heart was beating fast as she walked towards the side entrance to the inner castle and away from that mess.

Things couldn’t get any worse…

But of course, it did.

Her mother was at the entrance waiting for her.

“I heard voices… who were you talking to?” She looked stern.

“I was talking to the birds.” Hye said.

They both knew it was a lie.

“Since you enjoy nature so much, why don’t you take a walk in the garden.” She motioned for one of the guards behind her, “Show Hye to the ‘flower bed.’ It has been much too long since her last visit to the flowers