Running

Sykotica Preview Layouts
VOLUME XLII: Running ~ Moonstone ~ 4
Cyndi almost had the winds knocked out of her. What was his problem? Did he see cops hiding in the bushes or something?

Cyndi looked him in the eye without blinking. His expression showed a mix of horror and disbelief. Cyndi was starting believe she had turned into a grotesque monster.

Hero was still in shock. Right in front of him was his dead sister. Well, not really dead anymore.

He didn’t make a move so she thought it wise if she run for it now.

Cyndi clutched the yellow diamond tightly to her chest and sprinted out. Her estate wasn’t that far away. As she ran back across the grass, her heart pounded against her rib cage. In all her years, she hadn’t felt this kind of excitement.

To make things more magical, the sprinklers went off and she was caught in the middle. It felt nice on her hot skin but oh no, her beautiful outfit! Cyndi gathered up her dress and cleared the low wall in front with ease.

Was he chasing after her? Cyndi glanced back but to her disappointment, no one pursued.

He wasn’t after her but why was she still running? Her feet seem to be moving on their own again. She couldn’t remember when they didn’t belong to her. Maybe she wanted to get back home before she got sick.

Cyndi reached the East Gardens walkway and found the hole in the hedge. She squeezed through and was greeted by the familiar cascading sounds coming from the central fountain. The gardener had put in new colored lights she had asked for. It gave off a beautiful turquoise hue. Very relaxing.

Cyndi walked briskly past the fountain and the white rose bushes towards the large building. She looked up. The illuminating light from her study room warmed her face. Cyndi came to a stop when she reached the vine-covered trellis.

She was about to climb it but… darn, her hands weren’t free. Cyndi still held the diamond. How was she going to get up with only three limbs? Cyndi stuffed the diamond in expecting a weird taste but it was surprisingly sweet like honey nectar. She had already started climbing... or else she would have taken the diamond out of , afraid that it might melt away.

Cyndi scrambled up quickly. She had forgotten how to be lady-like. With one leg over the balcony, she swung her other leg over as if performing a cart wheel. Once safely on the marble balcony, Cyndi removed the diamond. It sparkled brilliantly as usual. She exhaled in relief. Not melted.

“It’s about time you got her, sis.”

Her heart almost leaped out from her chest. The voice startled her for sure. She nearly dropped the diamond too!

It was the same man from before. He was leaning casually on the mantle. The fireplace cracked happily.

“You DO know that there is a shorter way to get from there to here, right?” He didn’t look so shocked as before. Actually, in the better light, he looked very well… maybe even a little bit happy to see her.

“You can’t have it.” The words came out. Of course, she was referring to the yellow diamond.

“I don’t want it anymore. It belongs to you anyway.”

“Then why did you come here?”

“I’m a little curious…”

“Of what?”

The door knob turned. Hero flew to the door in an instant. Once the door opened, he had his hand around the maid’s neck. Hero turned his wrist and her poor neck snapped.

The tray she was holding crashed on to the hard floor. The poor thing only came to bring some warm tea to her mistress.

“I don’t like others interrupting my conversations.”

He released her neck and the dead maid crumbled to the floor in a heap on top of her tray and the broken pieces of porcelain.

Cyndi gasped.

“Shouldn’t you be running over to see if she’s alright?” Hero stopped himself. “Oh wait… I almost forgot how heartless you are.”



Sykotica Notes: I made the gif from this music video starting at 2:49. She wouldn't run the whole way across the bridge (probably only one quarter of the way) so I had to cut and paste her across. Good grief. Hope you're happy.

XSYKOTICA