Old Paint

Sykotica Preview Layouts


VOLUME XVI: Old Paint ~ Pygmalion


Do you know the story of Pygmalion?

It’s an an ancient myth about Pygmalion, a skilled sculptor. He fell in love with the beautiful ivory sculpture he carved and asked Venus, the goddess of love, to make her human.

Did something go wrong? Did the gift turn into a curse?

No… nothing like that. Pygmalion’s wish was granted. He married her with Venus’ blessings and they lived happily ever after.

Why am I tell you this story? You should know why.

I’m about to tell you another story about a wizard, a princess, and her doll. How these two stories relate, you will tell me after, won’t you?

Once upon a time, there lived a beautiful princess, Darissa. She was the rage of the land. Many suitors came to seek her hand in marriage but her demand was too great.

What was her demand? It was a rather simple one. Bring her favorite doll to life. The rich suitors contracted alchemists but no one was able to satisfy the princess. She was getting bored of her old doll but it was her favorite.

Though beautiful, she was a gloomy girl. No one was able to make her smile.

Who ever can make her smile will win over the princess. Those words spread across the land like a wild fire.

It reached Pygmalion fortress where the wizard Hero lived. He had longed set his eyes on the princess through his looking glass. She was the fairest of them all. Ventured down to the princess’ castle, he did. Hero had his audience with her. She looked bored but still beautiful. Her golden curls framing her lovely face. Her eyes a beautiful shade of green. In her lap, she cradled the doll.

Oval face.

Round eyes.

Pink lips.

Jet black hair.

Hero bowed to the princess and announced that he would make his return very soon.

She waved him off like all the other suitors and he was gone.

Once inside the walls of his fortress, he went to work on the doll that would sing and dance for the princess.

First the torso, slim.

Next, the oval head.

Then, the delicate arms and legs.

He stood her up and examined his work.

He had forgotten her long black hair. Hero immediately went to work again with the details. In the end, she was the image of perfection. She only came up to his shoulder so he had to bend his knees. Hero was face to face with his creation. It was time to give her life.

Unlike his other dolls, he gave her his own essence so that she would not fail the princess.

Her lashes fluttered. The brown eyes were so round. She was his best work yet.

“What’s your name?” He asked her.

“I don’t know.” She answered in a sweet voice. He was glad of the magpie and nightingale mix.

“I almost forgot. She’ll give you a name once we get to the castle.”

“Who?”

“The princess. You will do all that you can to make her happy.”

“Yes, I will do all that I can to make the princess happy.”

“Good. Now, do you know how to sing and dance?” Hero already knew the answer but he wanted to keep her talking. She had such a  pleasant voice.

“Shall I show you, master?” She stood tall on her toes with her arms out on both sides like butterfly wings.

Master? Did she just call him that on her own?

“The floor is yours.”

Hero heard her sing and saw her dance. It came natural to her. After all, she was born that way. He was hypnotized. She was the most wondrous creation ever.

A knock on the door brought him back to the room.

“Come in.”

The door opened and in stuck an old man’s head.

“Master, ye bin in h’er f’er two days wit no real food an wat’r in ye bellie.”

Hero only then realized he had lost track of time. He looked back at her still dancing and humming.

“Stop.” He ordered her. She obeyed his command.

“We will set off for the castle immediately.” He told her while scooping her up in his arms.

“Let us get you prettier clothes so you may be presentable to the princess.”

She looked down at her white tunic and smiled.

Once the princess saw her new life-sized doll, her eyes shone with a new light making her even more beautiful than before. Everyone was shocked to see her smile.

Hero took the princess home with him. He had won her at last. The princess gave her doll a name, ‘Cyndi.’

He left Cyndi in the care of the princess. He was glad to see her smile when Cyndi sang and danced for her.

Hero went back to his room. No sooner did he forget about the princess and her doll. That was his working habits.

One day, he went out for a bit of fresh air. To his horror, he found a foot on the walk way. The rest of the body was no where in sight.

Hero recognized the foot. It was Cyndi’s. He searched around in the bushes and behind the hedges. There, he found the rest of her.

She had lost both of her feet but nothing else seem to be missing. From head to toe, she was covered in slash marks.

“Who did this to you?” Hero lifted up her head and placed it on his knee.

Cyndi opened but no coherent words came out. Her tongue had be ripped out.

Hero carried her to his room and fixed her up until she was as good as new.

Again, he asked her, “Who did this to you?”

She didn’t answer him but instead, “I’m sorry, master. I couldn’t make the princess happy.”

“It’s okay. I’ll make her new dolls.”

That was exactly what he did. Hero made hundreds of other dolls to entertain her but nothing made the princess happy.

Cyndi became his assistant after that. She went out to gather ingredients and flowers every day.

“Where is my Cyndi?” It was the first time the princess had entered his private room. Hero was surprised.

“I can make you other dolls if you are bored with her.”

“I don’t want any other doll. I want my Cyndi.”

Cyndi entered with her basket and the princess smiled.

“Let’s go play! I’ve missed you so much!” She ran to Cyndi who had dropped her basket.

Hero could see a painful expression on Cyndi’s face when the princess dragged her out of the room. She went in silence though. After all, he had told her to obey the princess.

All that night, Hero was uneasy. He had to go and check up on the princess and Cyndi.

He went down the hallway. Hero had not quite made it to the princess’ quarter when he heard her talking.

“How about pouring the tea again, Cyndi. If you don’t do it right this time, I’ll chop off your hands.”

Hero appeared at the door, “Stop it.”

Both the princess and Cyndi looked towards the doorway at him. Cyndi seemed happy to see him. The princess, on the other hand, seemed rather displeased with a butcher knife in one hand and Cyndi’s hair in the other.

“I’ll make you another one. Just leave this one alone.”

“But I still want to play with my Cyndi. Why are you being so cold to me?” The princess looked angelic only from the shoulder up.

“We’re having fun, aren’t we Cyndi?”

Cyndi nodded obediently but it was obvious she was in a lot of pain.

Hero was puzzled. She could feel pain? But how?

Her expression seem to be screaming, Help me please!

Hero crossed the room and took a hold of the princess’ wrist (the one holding the butcher knife).

“That’s enough, Darissa. I won’t hold you prisoner anymore. You can go anytime you want.”

“But I don’t want to go anywhere.”

“Then I will go.” Hero had enough.  He could not share the same roof as this monster. He flung the princess’ hand so that the knife flew into the corner of the room.

“I’ll be taking her with me.” Hero took Cyndi’s hand.

“You can’t do this to me! Cyndi is mine to do as I will!” The princess jumped on Hero and knocked him over to the ground. She had her hands around his neck. He tried to get her off but she had a good grip on him. Her eyes belonged to a mad woman.

Hero struggled. He couldn’t breathe. Then, a miracle happened. The princess loosened her grip.

Cyndi had taken the teapot and cracked it over the princess’ head.

“I’m sorry, master. I couldn’t make the princess happy.”

Hero looked from Cyndi to the princess. He checked her pulse. She was still alive. Hero pushed her off, stood up, and pulled Cyndi away.

“Let’s leave this place first.”

“But I must do all I can to make the princess happy.”

“No, You will do all you can to make yourself happy.”

“What does that mean?”

“You have a choice, Cyndi. You can come with me or leave on your own and explore the world.”

You should all know her choice and how this ends… with a happily ever after.

Sykotica Notes: The layout is inspired by a can of retro paint. The story is inspired by a sidestory in "Tarot Cafe" manhwa by Park Sang-Sun.
XSYKOTICA