Newspaper Cut

Sykotica Preview Layouts
XSYKOTICA
VOLUME XXV: Newspaper Cut ~ Dance of Death - Chapter Three
Cyndi’s phone started to vibrate, hardly unusual.

Hero rushed past her as if she was invisible. Calvin was still over there prancing around like he had to go take a piss. She looked at her watch. Time was on her side. He usually was. She moved to the ledge and sat herself down. The giant rod on the other side looked like it wanted to tip over but it didn’t. It must be a part of his new death contraption, Cyndi thought.

She continued to watch the hysterical scene on the adjacent rooftop. Calvin had finally stopped hopping and clumsily found his way to the stairway door. If he kept this up, he’ll be at the top of her List in no time.

Cyndi’s phone vibrated again. She slipped it carefully off the clip on her belt. The rectangular screen displayed a name instead of a number.

“What is it, Yen?”

“We got a problem, boss.”

“Speak.”

“The sub-list has been jumping people like crazy. They seem to be coming from Gwen and Ben’s sub-list along with others. I tried to contact them but there’s no response. Something might have happened to them.”

“The List is fine, I don’t see any sudden changes. Tell me, who is next on your list?”

“It frequently changes and fast, that is what I’m trying to tell you.”

Cyndi stood up on the ledge and started walking back and forth.

“Let’s just focus on one area. Look at it now.”

“A black blob of ink… oh wait… Cyndi Wang…. no… Jay Williams…. no, it’s the black blob of ink again… and now-”

“Stop. Don’t pay any attention to the black blob, I will take care of that. Go collect Jay Williams’ soul. As we speak, he’s probably crossing the road without looking at the lights again.”

“Okay boss, we trust you.”

She hung up the phone.

“It’s time to pay Cyndi Wang  a visit.” She stepped off the building and landed in the reception area of a hospital. The place was well lit. She had to let her eyes adjust. Cyndi took in her surrounding in one breath. This place was just too happy looking for a hospital.

Cyndi changed scenes and now stood next to a hospital bed. It must have been really serious burns. They wrapped her up like a mummy. No one else was in the room. Hero must have been stuck in traffic. And the doctors… Did they give up?

I was waiting for you.

Cyndi wasn’t surprised to hear those words. “Many people wait. Most of them want to back out at the last second.”

But not me.

The mummy seemed to be thinking the same thing she was. There was a total calmness about her that felt unnatural.

He’s waiting for you, you know.

“Really… who?”

The one who is destined to help carry your burden.

“You speak of destiny? I know Destiny personally and this is the first I’ve heard about my so called destined one.”

Destiny doesn’t tell you everything, hun. It doesn’t work that way.

Cyndi began to wonder whether that Angel had anything to do with this.

“Shall we finish up here?” Cyndi reached out her hand towards the mummy.

Yes, I’ve had my fill. Thank you.

The heart monitor went flat. Cyndi quit the room soon after. She didn’t wait to see the doctors rush in and declare Cyndi Wang dead at 3:06 pm. She didn’t wait to see Hero’s reaction to the death of his wife. One death was not going to stop her from doing what had to be done but she did need some time to think.

Cyndi walked down the hallway between wheelchairs and hospital beds.

“Hey you!” Someone suddenly shouted, “The one in all the gothic and super high heels.”

Was that meant for her? She turned around to see a tall man dressed in white with a clipboard in his hand. It looked like he worked there but he didn’t. The man had no expiration date written on him.

“So you decide to visit me in person. I’m honored.”

“How’d you know it was me?” The Angel of Destiny smiled at her. He was always so happy. Cyndi found him hopeless.

“Why are you here? Does it have something to do with this Cyndi Wang I just sent away?” He was now beside her rubbing his chin. Was he thinking of an answer?

“If you pushed a wheelchair and a hospital bed down the stairs… which one would go faster?” Cyndi wanted to smack him on the head. He was so annoying. She just stared him down with her “not amused” gaze.

“Not interested in the answer? Okay then… back to your question. Some what but not quite.”

“Forget you. I don’t even know why I bother.” She left him to his wheelchair pushing.

But he wasn’t finished with her. “Just focus on your job for now. You might want to check up on your employees. Some of them disappeared recently.”

Cyndi spun around ready to demand the details but he was gone. The clothes and clipboard laid neatly on the wheelchair he was playing with.

Once outside of the hospital, she  looked up towards the sky half expecting it to fall down on her. Where had all her people gone to? No wonder Yen called. Nothing like this ever happened before. Why did it start now?

“Cyndi! Wait!” Hero had chased her down. Why wasn’t he with his dead wife? Why wasn’t he sad or crying?

“Finally decided to die?”

“You’re Death, right? Can’t you just let my wife off this one time? Maybe because she looks like you and let her off?” He was still huffing.

“I don’t do returns.”

Cyndi wasn’t sorry. There were thousands of others dying. If she stopped to feel sorry for each and every one of them, where would she be?

“It must be easy as turning a finger for you. I’ll do anything. I’ll even trade places with her.” Hero pleaded.

“You think this job is easy? How would you like to try my job, hmm?”

“Will you return her if I did?”

“I’ll think about it.”

“Then I’ll do it. I’ll do whatever it takes.” Hero seemed determined.

“Why are you so quick to make up your mind? I said I’ll think about it. That doesn’t mean-”

“I don’t have anything else. Your offer is the last hope.”

Humans… thinking they can change their own fate.

It wouldn’t hurt to give him a try especially when he won’t die. “I do need more collectors right now. You’ll have to work overtime.” Cyndi plucked a strand of hair from her head.

“Give me your hand.”

Hero was confused but he did what she told him to do. Cyndi wrapped the strand of hair around his index finger. Once she was done, it turned stone black. Hero looked at it and gasped. It turned ice cold. The feeling spread from his finger to his whole body.

“That’s a sub list of souls you are to collect. Remember, you are to gather every soul without fail or there will be consequences. No one can see you unless they are meant to. Take off that ring and you are done for.”

Cyndi disappeared leaving Hero along on the side of the street.

What was he supposed to do again?