AFF Power On

Sykotica Preview Layouts
XSYKOTICA
VOLUME XIV: AFF Power On
  
New Sykotica
      Chapter Seven
Finally. The fall took so long. It was like someone deliberately slowed her. But why would anyone want to do that? As soon as she reached the ground, the bubble popped and she was greeted by the smell of warm fresh bread. There were giant holes everywhere in the side of the well or was it a well at all. Cyndi stood there for a moment watching the scenes of each hole pass by. one had people walking back and forth, stall to stall. It looked like a market place. Another was filled with birds chirping. A very green forest. She turned to the other side and saw a hole leading to a very long hallway lined with pictures, paintings, and tapestries.

After observing a few more “holes” she decided to go with the market place. More people meant more chances of getting answers. She walked through making sure not to bump her head. The basket, sack and its content was left forgotten on the floor. Cyndi was too focused on finding a way back. As she stepped into the market place, the sound and aroma claimed her. There were many things to see especially since she had never been there before or was it here. If only she knew a way to get back, Cyndi would have been content to stay here a while longer and explore.

She weaved through the crowd of buyers and sellers. People were starting to stare at her but only for a split second before turning their gaze downward and scurrying away. She could tell they were whispering to each other too. Were they all going to be as rude as the checkered umbrella man in the white suit? Cyndi sighed. Maybe it was bad after all.

Cyndi managed to stop a little lady.

“Excuse me. Can you tell me where this is?”

The little lady squinted up at her.

“Oh dear heavens, the end has come so soon?”

Cyndi ignored her outburst and repeated the question.

“This is New Sykotica… but you’re not suppose to be here.”

“Well, I’m lost.”

“I bet you are… and that just means our doom.”

“I’m from Sykotica. Never knew there was a New Sykotica.”

“That’s the point. You’re not supposed to know.”

“Well do you know how I can get back? I don’t think I want to stay here. Everyone has been looking at me strangely and avoiding me.”

“As well they should. I don’t even know why I’m talking to you. Shouldn’t get involved. I’m growing old and forgetful. Not thinking straight.” And she too hurried away like the rest. Cyndi cringed. She still didn’t know how to get back but at least she knew the name of this place or was it just this market place that was “New Sykotica” or were the other holes “New Sykotica” as well?

Someone bumped into her and the bag of goods they held went flying.

“Sorry, miss. I was in a rush and didn’t -” The man stopped mid-sentence letting the last word hang in the air as he gasped.

“By golly. It’s the end, isn’t it….” He didn’t bother to pick up his good and sprinted out of sight.

“I’m getting no where with this.” Cyndi looked down at the ripped bag he left and found a colorful scarf sticking out. He wouldn’t mind if she made use of it, right? She pulled it out and wrapped it carefully over her head letting the rest cover her lower face. The only thing people could see now was her long bangs covering her eyes. She looked a little bit more like them now that her attire gained excessively more color thanks to the scarf.

She stopped a middle aged woman holding a little boy’s hand.

“Hello. Sorry to bother you but I’m a little lost. Can you help me find my way back to Sykotica? If you can kindly point me in the right direction…”

“Hi big sis.” the boy looked up at her with his mouth open.

“Don’t speak to her, Timmy. She’ll be the death of us. Come!” She pulled the boy away.

Not again… Cyndi had to be persistent this time. She followed them through the crowd down a narrow alley full of piled up crystals and sparkling gems.

“I’m not leaving until you help me, woman!” Cyndi was obviously running out of patience. The longer she stayed here, the more uncomfortable she felt.

“Bis sis is crazy, mama!” The boy yelled as he almost tripped on a loose crystal.

“Don’t look back, Timmy. Just follow me closely.” His mama replied.

Cyndi sprinted up front and blocked their way.

The woman grabbed her heart and stopped abruptly causing the little boy to run right into the back of her leg.

“Just tell me where I can find answers about this place… this country or whatever it is. Please. I’ll never bother you again.”

The woman gave in and quickly pointed to the left, “Go that way and you will see a gigantic castle. Just go right now and leave us in peace.”

Cyndi smiled. “Thank you! I didn’t meant to be so rough and-”

“Please, just go.”

Cyndi immediately left the alley and searched for the castle. It was hard to miss. The green towers shot up high into the clouds above. The woman wasn’t lying when she said gigantic. Cyndi wasn’t even up close and it was already massive.

-

In the castle’s courtyard, Hero woke up on a bench. The sun was a little too bright so he squinted and took in his surrounding. Everything was in vivid colors. They were almost as bad as the sun’s glare. Wait a minute, sun? He was actually in the sun? Usually he was only able to see the sun through his mother’s glass shards… He was definitely not in Sykotica, right?

Something next to him moved.

“Hi.” it said.

Hero jumped at the voice and fell off the bench. It belonged to the man nudging him with his head.

“What are you doing?” Hero pushed the man away.

“Waking up. Went down hole after fire girl and fell asleep.”

Oh no, was this man his dragon? It was… it had to be.

What happened to you?

The man cuddling at his side didn’t respond. Was he ignoring the question or was the connection between them severed?

“What happened to you?” Hero ask out loud.

“What happened to me?” The dragon didn’t seem to see what was wrong with him.

The dragon responded to his question so that meant they couldn’t think what they wanted to say anymore.

“Dragon, you look like a human.”

“WHAAAAAA …. HUUUUMMMAAANNNNN?!?!?!” Dragon went crazy. He ran up and down the garden and even tried to climb a small tree. He did all this while making weird panicky snorts. Hero found a safe corner in the courtyard and sat down to think. What was happening here? Wait… where was here?

Sykotica Notes: Yes. LOL @ AFF Power Up. Did anyone notice the layout makes a face at the marketplace? It's the "not funny" face. Nioce. And P.S. This layout is hella messed in moblie version so if you like having mobile version on, don't even.