Winter Death

Sykotica Preview Layouts
XSYKOTICA
VOLUME XCVI: Winter Death
VOLUME XCVI: Winter Death
VOLUME XCVI: Winter Death
VOLUME XCVI: Winter Death
The Forgotten ~ Epilogue
The Forgotten ~ Epilogue
The Forgotten ~ Epilogue
The Forgotten ~ Epilogue
It was not Death who held her gently in his arms. Jae was still alive. He was never dead to begin with. The stranger that roped him had not killed him. To kill was not the objective. He was specifically ordered to separate Jae from Hye and that was all. On his cheek was the mark of shame, the four leaf clover.

The only real person who died that day… was Jun.

Five Years Later

The castle buzzed with activity. Girls ran through the courtyards with long garlands of colorful flowers. Their sweet laughter rang clear down the many hallways. The older women talked happily among themselves as they washed the linens at the convenient stream that ran right through the castle grounds. The large kitchen was crowded with maids and chefs as they rushed to prepare for the feast.

Tonight was Suffer’s first birthday celebration. Everyone in the castle was excited. They wanted to see the princess again and Suffer, her little baby girl. She, her husband, and her daughter arrived early in the morning and now they were resting in the chamber prepared weeks before their arrival.

“Is he the princess’ knight?”

“He must be. He looks so handsome.”

“She is so lucky.”

“Isn’t he lucky as well? She is beautiful and accomplished. I don’t think I’ll ever met another lady like her in this lifetime.”

The maids whispered to one another as their eyes followed the man walking down the hallway towards the master’s study room. His long brown hair was loosely braided. His black jacket and the cream colored ruffles complemented his fair complexion.

When he reached the door to the study room, he knocked and a familiar voice answered.

“You may come in.”

He opened the door and saw the master of the castle sitting behind his desk. He seemed to be studying an old manuscript.

“Have you been hiding here this whole time, Ki?”

“Jae, it is you.” Ki looked up to reveal a beautifully scarred face. The lines running down his face were barely visible in the poor light… but they were there.

“Really… do you have to call me that when everyone else knows me by Jun? They will think something is wrong with the princess’ prince charming.”

“You think I would have been fooled forever? What kind of friend would I be if I couldn’t recognize you?”

Ki laughed, “A gullible one.”

“Not as gullible as you think.”

“How is Hye and Suffer?”

“Hye still doesn’t remember anything from that night. She doesn’t remember ever knowing a Jun either… and she still doesn’t remember… you.” Jae was rather worried when he spoke that last phrase.

“I guess it is better that she never remembers me and this castle’s secret. It would be troublesome if she remembers… then she would remember Jun and…” Ki changed the subject in mid-sentence, “So what brings you here? Missed me so much you couldn’t wait for tonight?”

“Ahh… that reminds me… I have a letter for you. Ki, do you remember what happened five years ago?”

Ki shook his head, “I don’t think I could forget even if I wanted to.”

Jae walked up to his desk and handed Ki the folded parchment.

“The man with the four-leaf clover on his face from that night gave it to me while Hye, Suffer, and I were making our way to the castle.”

Ki opened it. The letter was from Jun and it read:

To My Dear Brother,

Perhaps you have forgotten me but I must tell you the whole truth. To stop the cruel ways of our “family,” I had to get Hye outside of the castle. As long as she stayed within the castle, the torture chamber would stay as well. It was a tradition to punish the daughters of the family. There were no boundaries to their punishments. Sometimes, it even resulted in death, just like the girl before Hye.

Because the daughters of the family were punished in this way, it only made sense to treat all who were below her rank in the same way. Do you know how many people fall into that category? All because of some superstition… I couldn’t just look away. Luckily I found a person who thought the same way as I did within the castle. Do you still remember the Baroness who accused you? We had both planned it together. She agreed that this family tradition must be put to an end and she was willing to give up her life. It was all planned for the sake of future generations… the accusation, the baron’s death, the baroness’ death. Only then could I ask you to switch places with me so I could continue planning outside the castle walls. Perhaps you are wondering why I didn’t tell her to accuse myself… then we wouldn’t have to switch places. I had to take that unnecessary step because of you. With that personality of yours, how could you possibly earn Hye’s love and trust? When we switched, I gave you the image I had so carefully developed over the years. She trusted you when you told her it was okay to leave the castle because you were Jun and not Ki.

Do you still remember the family book? I had a good man open up the book to that particular page for you. He use to be a servant in the castle before he, his lover, and her unborn child were brought to the torture chamber. The woman and her child never made it out of there. He was branded with the four-leaf clover and set free. To live the rest of his life after seeing the woman he loved and their unborn child beaten to death, that was his punishment.

If this letter has found its way to you, then that good man must still be alive.

As I was writing, if Hye left the castle, the torture chamber would leave with her. Without a daughter in the family, there was no need for such harsh punishments.

I am sorry for hurting you. It was the only way I could prove you had a caring heart because the castle would need someone like that to rebuild it. You didn’t disappoint me, did you?

Ki, I could have just killed Hye and be done with it… That would have been so easy. I had imagined it all in my mind countless times before but I couldn’t do it. There had been so much death in the castle already.

No one will die by my hand.

Please do not blame Hye for my death. I am very happy. Gambled with my life, I did and won.

She is truly no longer a doll. Hye is truly set free from the horrors she had suffered now that I’m dead.

I have no doubt that you will raise the castle from its black ashes.

Here is my proper farewell to you:

Good bye, brother.

~ Jun Sun



Sykotica Notes: For Winter Death, I animated this rose wallpaper.

Layout Reference: #56 Crown Rings