Talking Bubbles

Sykotica Preview Layouts
XSYKOTICA
VOLUME LXIV: Talking Bubbles ~ Following the Rules

“We need to get some news out there!” the publicist screamed at the top of her lungs.

Everyone wanted to stick stuff in their ear as she went on with her Hilter-like speech but of course no one dared to.

“It’s been way too quiet. We need to put the drama name out there. We need to hype them up! This is the best way to rake in the rating when we start broadcasting.”

“Can’t we just wait until the promotions and-” a very brave soul voiced out their opinion.

“Why wait until promotion when we can do it now? And will you shut up while I’m speaking?!”

And the brave soul was shot down just like that. Someone should fire the woman. She was too much of a dictator. But no one fired her… because she always got the job done. As long as nothing gets out about verbal abuse, everything was fine.

“Mike. Xin Ling. I need you two to put on a show so we can get on the entertainment news stream. I will contact a few paparazzi and drop a little hint here and there. They will take the bait like a band of hungry sharks.”

“What do you want us to do exactly…” Cyndi asked, wanting the she devil to get quickly to the point. Cyndi was one of the brave souls. Everyone looked at her with sparkly eyes. She was worthy of admiration when it came to straightforwardness.

“It’s simple. Have a little date after work. Go to the movies. Ride in the same car. That is all I ask. It’s ambiguous. The media likes it. The people likes it. They will blow it up like a hot air balloon.” She was a woman of many words.

“If it will benefit everyone working on this project. Work is work and I will do my best.” Cyndi said this while turning to Mike.

“Uhhh…” He didn’t have an answer yet. He was still thinking but it was obvious everyone wanted to hear his response to the whole plan right now.

“Can I have some time to think it over? I kind of… yeah.” Mike remembered something. It was a very important something that involved muscular guys and the gym.

There were whispers among the staff. Was he this shy? Not like brave Cyndi at all. Does he hate Cyndi that much that he is unwilling to take part in this stunt? Does he have a secret girlfriend that might get mad if he did this?

There were some truth in the last question… he did have a friend that might get mad… a guy friend… that’s where muscular guys and the gym comes in.

“Let me just make a quick phone call. I… I’ll be right back.” Mike looked around nervously before racing off to hide in some dark corner.

What’s up with him? He definitely has some secret girlfriend.

Not.

“Hey. Hero?” Mike was sweating a little bit when he heard Hero’s voice on the other line.

“Hey bro, what’s up? I’m a little busy right now with the boys. Can I call you back later?”

“It’s about Xin Ling.”

There was a moment of silence and then Mike could hear Hero telling “the boys” he’ll be right back to pose for his photos a little later.

“What happened to Ling Ling?” Hero was back on line with Mike.

“Nothing happened. It’s just that-”

“Then why the heck did you have to scare me like that?”

“They want us to go to the movies together for publicity.”

“Wait wait wait… who is us?” It was obvious Hero was blocking out the idea that Mike and his Ling Ling was “us.”

“Xin Ling and…” Mike hesitated for a moment before continuing “… and myself.”

There was another moment of silence on the other side. Did Hero blow up? What was his face like? It scared the hell out of Mike just thinking about those veins popping out of Hero’s neck.

“And this is for work?” Hero finally spoke.

“Yes, purely for work. We’re just going to the movies and riding home in the same car, I think.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa… did you just say riding in the same car? Hold on for a moment.”

Hero gave him another moment of silence. It was really killing Mike. Was he going to get beat up and receive the excuse that it was just a rough messing around at the gym?

“Okay… if it’s for work. I guess there is nothing else that can be done. I’ll see you tonight at the gym.”

“But it might have to be tonight the-”

“It better not be. See you tonight, Mike… or else!” It sounded like a mean desperate girlfriend.

“Okay, I’ll tell them not tonight. I’ll-”

“Ugh, this whole business messed up my make-up. This blows.”

That was the last thing Mike heard before Hero hung up. Mike slugged back to the others and told them it was an okay except he had something to do tonight so it couldn’t be tonight.

“Is something bother you? I can always try and persuade Ms. Dictator to find something else…”

“No, it’s fine. I just can’t do it tonight, that’s all. Got plans.” Mike answered.

“Oh, I see. Well, see you tomorrow.” After bidding him farewell, Cyndi went off to the lot where she parked her Benz.[/CONTENTID2]

Mike got to the gym early and found Danson and Dylan already there blasting rock music across the room.

“Whoa, Mike. It’s been awhile. Didn’t expect you to show up so soon after the last time.” Dylan came over and gave him a whack on the shoulder which rattled his bones.

“Yeah…” Mike replied. “It’s nice seeing you too.”

“You look a little pale. Is everything alright?” Danson asked.

“Well I came because… I don’t know how to put this. It’s about Xin Ling and-”

“Stop there! Did you say Xin Ling?” Danson came over to Mike and sat him down.

“Don’t tell me you got a crush on her and Hero found out.” Dylan ruffled Mike’s hair.

“Dude… you do not want to go there. I repeat, you do not want to go there!” Danson seemed serious.

“I still remember the last time you brought it up. You remember?” Dylan was looking at Danson with a grin.

“How can I forget? It scarred me for life!” Danson replied.

“What happened?” Mike forgot about his current situation. This was getting interesting.

“This dude right here thought it would be funny to tell Hero that he was in love with Cyndi.” Dylan pointed at Danson who just nodded.

“And he nearly killed me.  And when I told him it was a joke, he nearly killed me again.”

“It was hella scary at that moment but it’s pretty funny now when we’re not actually in the moment.”

“Yeah,” Danson said knowingly. “Seriously…”

“Shut up. He’s coming.” Dylan’s ability to hear the footsteps over the loud music was superb.

Hero entered.

“Yo, what’s up?” Danson greeted Hero.

“I need pen and paper now.”

Dylan and Danson looked at each other. What did Hero need those for?

Hero did not look at Mike once as if the guy was invisible.

They got him the pen and paper and Hero got to work writing stuff down at the counter.

Mike felt the sweat run down the side of his face. Was it extra hot in here or what?

Dylan and Danson continued their workout at the far corner. They were whispering to each other while Mike sat there waiting for his sentence.

Hero stood up and handed the sheet of paper to Mike. He was finally done.

“I trust you with my life, bro.” He slapped Mike’s back a little harder than what was necessary.

Hero went to join the others while Mike looked down at the sheet of white paper now filled with black ink.

“Rules to Follow” it read.

1. Must bring at least 2 or more people (and at least one other female or else I will kill you).

2. Walk in front at all times or I will kill you (don’t want you looking at her from behind… that’s a no no).

3. Stay at least a meter away from her at all times or I will kill you.

4. If someone must drive, let Cyndi drive (can’t trust you to drive her yet, can’t predict where you might take her after the movies).

5. Do not sit next to Cyndi at the movies or in the car. Sit in the back seat if you must.

6. If another guy is with her, keep an eye out for her. Make sure that guy doesn’t do anything funny. I say keep an eye out for her but don’t look at her too long or I will kill you.

7. Keep your phone on at all times so I can contact you with more rules via text.

Although there were only seven rules, it was quite a list. Mike appreciated the little detailed doodles he did for each and every one of the “I will kill you's.  It was quite creative.

All he had to do was follow the rules, right? How hard could it be?

The night of the stunt went rather smoothly except Mike
was looking over his shoulder constantly wondering if Hero was following
them and if he was doing a good enough job of following the rules.
Please be proficient. Please be proficient.

Mike also got a few text from Hero that night… 22 to be exact. Not bad…
not bad at all. Let’s just hope he would never ever have to do this kind
of thing again.

Sykotica Notes: Yes, me and expanding bubbles.
Again. It looks like CONTENTID3 is right after CONTENTID1 but no, it is
ordered numerically 1, 2, 3, and 4. So after CONTENTID1,
CONTENTID2 will follow. If you don't fill the bubbles all the way across
they will do this fun floating thing. There are a few ways to float it:
straight across (a few words per bubble), 2x2 (SHIFT+ENTER, less than
50% width), diagonal (SHIFT+ENTER, less than 100% width but more
than 50% width), or a fat column straight down (type all the way across).
Marketplace shows the first option, straight across. This preview shows
the other two, half&half.