Framed

Sykotica Preview Layouts

VOLUME LXVIII: Framed ~ Jun, Ki, and Hye

Summer’s heat pounded on them as the three children made their way towards the cool shade casted by a forest of green trees. The smoldering gravel path leading into the woods stung Hye’s feet and forced a whimper out of her. Ki, the boy who walked a little bit ahead of her, stopped first. He gave her a disapproving look and said in an irritated tone, “You should have worn better shoes, not those thin, girly slippers.” Hye felt like yelling out in anger but of course, she did not. A lady never yells and so she spoke in a clear and calm manner, “Mind you, I was in the middle of lesson when you two apes burst in. How should I have known you wanted to drag me along on your fishing trip?”

At the sound of Hye’s voice, the other boy, who was holding two fishing rods and a basket, turned around. “Did Ki do something wrong again?” Hye wanted to say that it was nothing but Ki replied to him first, “Hye can’t walk anymore. She needs her white steed.” he paused then added, “Pony Jun.” Hye shot Ki a cold look which made him grin.

Jun trotted back and immediately, without any warning, threw the things he was holding to the surprised Ki. “May I?” was what he said to her but before she knew what he was asking permission to do, Jun had already scooped her up in his arms. “Let’s move quickly, this kind of sun will burn us alive.”

Hye wanted to muster some kind protest for being carried like a baby but in reality, she was very thankful. Her feet felt like they were blistering. One way or another, the maids will see her poor feet and tell on her. Then, she’ll get in trouble. Hye felt like there was a heavy boulder in her stomach just by the thought of it. When mother scolded her, it was always a long lecture about being lady-like and family tradition and about how bad the two boys were. She could imagine hearing her mother’s high voice saying, “Those two low little imps only set bad examples for you. Stay away from them. They are the spawns of the devil.”

Lord have mercy on her nerves.

Jun and Ki were her cousins. How “below her” could they be? Even before arriving at the castle, they were already together all the time like a fork, a knife, and a spoon. Back then, the three of them lived in an old house inside the forest not far from the castle. Although it was not far in distance, it was the complete opposite of each other. The old house had only one “servant” and she was old, fat, and lazy. She barely made the house livable. The trio had to fend for themselves most of the time. Jun and Ki would go fishing in the river and Hye would pick berries and dig up roots for food. Living like this, the forest became their backyard. They knew the place like the back of their hand. Even the secret tunnels running under the forest were no secret to them. Gifted with a picture perfect memory, Hye had a permanent map of the intricate underground passageways in her head.

When the baron of the castle came for them, it was quite unexpected. They no longer needed to rely on the forest for food and shelter. It was now prepared for them. Cold hard beds were replaced by warm fluffy ones and goose feather pillows. It was a dream come true… for a while. There were things they could have made off with like streams of lessons. For Jun and Ki, it was history, politics, economics, writing… fencing (the list can go on forever). For Hye, it was etiquettes, music, art, dancing, stitching… embroidering. It wasn’t just the lessons. They were expected to act a certain way and there were rules for everything it seems. The change was too much and they found themselves wandering back to the forest. There were some hard times in the past but they felt so much happier.

Nothing beats freedom. That was what they thought.

Jun, Ki, and Hye finally entered the forest and the cool air felt refreshing against their skin after such malicious heat. “Jun, please put me down now. I can walk on my own.” Hye said it clear enough but it didn’t seem like he heard her. Jun was already enveloped in his own little world. Ki poked his head out from behind and whispered to her, “Don’t waste your breath. He’s gone.” They both knew that he would be back to normal once the three of them reach the river. No more words were exchanged until they reached their destination. Jun gently dropped Hye down on the river bank and proceeded in removing her slippers. She felt embarrassed and turned red. When he finished patting the cold water on her feet, Jun looked up at her and saw it. “Why are you like this? The princess was never like this before-”

“It is that cursed new home of ours. We’ve been molded like clay. Hye got the worse of it. She’s like a mindless doll now…”

Hye didn’t want to hear any more of what Ki had to say. It made her feel weak and she didn’t like it one bit so she excused herself. “I’m going over there to pick flowers. It’s been a long time since I made flower crowns.” Jun looked a little relieved to see her leave.

When she was out of earshot, Jun pulled Ki down next to him. His hand was cold… not just from the river water.

“Ki, I’ve heard them talk about you.”

“What is it?”

“They’re going to exile you because they feel threatened.”

“Like I give a-“

“We will be separated!”

Silence.

“So what do you want me to do, Jun? After that crazy baroness sprouted lies about me being the downfall of the entire family, everyone sees me as the enemy.”

“They only think this because the baron died and after that, she hung herself in our room. Lord! You could have at least looked a little bit disturbed by it-“

“Jun. I wouldn’t do such a thing. You’re the faker, not me. I know you didn’t feel a thing when you saw her body hanging above my bed.”

“We wouldn’t be in this mess if you would just-“

“Don’t talk about it anymore.”

“I have to say this. We need to switch places.”

“What?”

“I’m saying that the one they exile should be me. I want you inside the castle with Hye.”

“Why?”

“Ki, just trust me. I may deceive the world but I can’t keep anything from you. Ki… you alone can see through my mask. You have to trust me.”

Silence.

“I can’t pretend to be you… I wouldn’t do-“

“You have to do it.”

“Even if I can pull it off, I can never… Hye…”

“You care more for her than I do and we both know that.”

“She’ll see through me.”

“I have faith in you.”

“But I can’t… I hate her… I hate her.”

Jun smiled. Ki’s “hate” sounded a lot like “love.”



Sykotica Notes: This layout is another one without images. O, we ran out of her old stories and I'm a failed hack so we'll continuing on with my old Lee Junki story. This should last for another 20 layouts.