Binary Code C

Sykotica Preview Layouts
XSYKOTICA
Sykotica & BleedLikeMe
VOLUME LXX: Binary Code C ~ Youth and Innocence
Shadows of light were forever moving on the forest floor as a gentle breeze weaseled its way through the thick foils. The kind breeze played with her curls and tried to tickle her face but Hye felt none of it. Her hands were preoccupied with the flower crowns and her eyes were busy watching them from afar. Jun and Ki were still talking about something. By the looks upon their faces, it was still that talk about how evil the castle was. She knew that living there changed her but… she was still Jun’s princess and Ki’s Hye. That couldn’t have changed. Could it?

Suddenly, a gust of cold wind washed over her, sending shivers down her back. The shade was no longer as inviting as it had first appeared. Hye wanted to find the sun again. Even if it burned her, she wanted to feel that warmth. She wanted it to chase away the frosty loneliness that slowly crept into her heart. Her need to leave the shade was urgent and so she focused on finishing the flower crowns for her two most important people in the world. She didn’t feel like making one for herself. She never felt like it. Flowers crowns were meant for them. Not her. Jun and Ki never asked why she never made one for herself. Hye wanted to keep it that way. She didn’t want to tell them that when they were sleeping in the forest that one day, she saw their pretty fairy wings. Even though she never saw it again, to her, they will always be the two fairy princes from a far away land.

With one flower crown in each hand, she slowly creep behind to surprised them but as usual, Ki had to ruin it all. He seemed to always know when she was up to no good.

“I caught you sneaking.” That was what he said.

Hye offered him a fake smile and a curtsy, “Thou art all too knowing, oh wondrous Ki.” With that, she plopped the crown on his head. It slid forward and covered his eyes. Hye smiled at the silly sight.

Jun reached over and straightened the crown for Ki. “Your head must be getting smaller,” he laughed.

Ki grabbed the other flower crown from her hand and threw it on Jun’s head, “It seems that your head had gotten bigger, brother.”

Hye clapped happily. Everything was alright now that she was with them again. The loneliness she felt a minute ago disappeared.

Ki gave her an odd look, “Hey, Jun. Did we do something or is she crazy?”

Hye stopped clapping and smiled cheerfully, “I am quite sane, thank you very much.”

“With that kind of smile, it is hard to believe.” Jun poked her.

“I’m feeling energetic-“

“Looks like her feet doesn’t hurt anymore,” Ki whispered.

“Let’s go deeper into the tunnels this time.”

“Sound like an adventure.” Jun glanced over to Ki.

Hye automatically walked off in the direction of the tunnel’s opening. She knew exactly where it was as well as how far it was.

Ki stood up and motioned to Jun, “Let’s go then.”

Jun pulled him back down. He had that serious look in his eyes.

“Princess, we’ll be right there. Ki and I need to gather our things…” He said it loud enough so she could hear.

“Be quick…” was what they heard but the rest was lost in the bushes with her.

Ki watched the bushes for a moment then turned around, “What is it, Jun?”

“Give me your amulet.”

“You can’t mean-“

“Give it to me!”

Ki had never seen this side of Jun. The change frightened him. He unclasped the chain around his neck and Jun did the same. For a second, their necks felt so uncomfortably bare.

It was as if a part of them were missing.

“Here, take mine and wear it.”

Ki’s hands were hesitant. Jun’s hands were firm. They traded and the world turned up-side-down.

“You know, Jun. We never removed-“

“I know. That is how we will get pass Hye.”

“She’ll find out sooner or later.”

“When she does, it will be too late.”

“What?”

Silence.

“You will persuade her to keep this a secret when it comes to that.”

“Give me your clothes, Jun.”

“Why?”

“Your clothes are mine now. I’m the new ‘Jun,’ am I not?”

“Right. And you should stop calling me Jun.”

“Alright, Ki. I won’t call you by my name anymore.”

“You should also lighten up a bit.”

“I know you inside and out. I’ll be fine.”

“Sure, Jun. Sure you will…”

“Let’s get going before the princess gets into trouble.”

“You called her princess.”

“Isn’t princess what I always call her?”

“Yes, Jun. You’re always spoiling her.”

The world had completely flipped.

When they got to the clearing, Hye was crouched over something on the ground. She was smiling to herself, the genuine kind.

“What are you looking at?” Ki broke the silence.

“Oh, you two are finally-“

She looked up and her smile suddenly turned into a frown. Something was not quite right. She could sense it.

“Don’t frown like that, princess. That smile from before suits you best.” Jun crouched down next to her and patted her on the head like he would a pet.

Ki looked at him with surprise.

Hye pushed all of her uncertainty aside and smiled once more. “Look, Jun.” She pointed at a pair of feathers on the ground, “What do you see?” Hye looked eager to hear his answer as if her life depended on it.

“Hmm… Looks like an angel had lost her wings.”

It was what she wanted to hear from Jun. It was exactly what she imagined him to say. “That’s right. She must have lost them when she came down here to visit us.”

Ki chuckled at the thought, “Stop being such a child. They really did change you into a doll, Hye. There are no such things as angels. Besides, all the drawing of angels we have seen, there is not one mini-angel. How can those two dirty feathers be wings?”

“The wings, they are-“

“Don’t worry about it, princess. He is always like that.” Jun tried to comfort her.

But… she could not be comforted.

Sykotica Notes: A distant relative of Ticking Away and Source Code. Just try not to stare at those binary codes for too long and you'll be fine. This DFC set might be my all time favorite.