Bang Bang Bang

Sykotica Preview Layouts
XSYKOTICA
VOLUME XLVIII: Bang ~ BIS Collection ~ Final Clutch Kick
VOLUME XLVIII: Bang ~ BIS Collection ~ Final Clutch Kick
“I trusted you… I gave her to you…” “Cyndi… please let me explain…” “Just… just don’t say anything. You know I couldn’t take this road by myself and still…” “Jae… I knew you couldn’t quit.”

•••••••

She was right. He couldn’t quit. Without knowing, he watched her face slowly fade away in his rear mirror. Even with the image of her gone, she still haunted his every waking moment.

The only thing that kept him sane was the smell of burning rubber. It was like a medication for his sickness. It was like a pain reliever for his suffering. He lost sight of her. He lost the sound of her voice but he could never lose the feeling she gave him when they were together.

He had taken her presence for granted. He couldn’t understand the importance of Cyndi in his life until she had left it. Jae had become nothing but an empty shell, abandoned ever since the day she went away. This was what made him a dangerous opponent. He didn’t fear death… he was a death teaser.

Out of all the drivers he had versed in the past, she was the only worthy rival. He had always envied her. She raced with her heart. He raced without it. She never won against him but she challenged him like no other and every time, he failed to her miserably.

•••••••

“How much does she owe you?”

“More than you can pay in cash, babe.”

“Try me.” Cyndi suppressed her urge to rip the man apart with her bare hands. He had caused enough trouble. There was no end to it.

“No… I think watching them torture your sister would be more entertaining than all the riches in the world.”

“You wouldn’t dare! I swear, you lay another hand on Jolin and I’ll kill you!” She lost it.

He smiled at his own cleverness. He had found her Achilles’ heel. She was now at his mercy.

“Of course… I could spare her if you enter the Over Ground Drift tomorrow night.” He watched for her reaction. She looked at the floor, avoiding his eyes so he couldn’t read what was written in them.

“I left that world five years ago. I’m rusty. I can’t win the race for you. Find a better driver.”

“I don’t need you to win the race. All I ask is you enter it. Once you do, most of the competitors will back out on their own account.”

“It will never be like old times. Jae and I… it won’t work.” She couldn’t find the right words to describe it. There was nothing there anymore. Everything was just kicked-up dust in the past.

“It is your choice, princess. 10 PM tomorrow night. Over ground. If you don’t show up, there will be consequences. Wow, I'm already looking forward to hearing her scream.”

Cyndi watched his back as he turned to leave her apartment. How could a man be so heartless? It didn’t look like he gave her a choice. She loved Jolin very much. Even though she was the younger of the two, Cyndi was always the one protecting Jolin and watching her back. Jolin was like a child, she needed Cyndi’s motherly care.

Damn.

She had to face Jae tomorrow night. Looking into the mirror, she saw her own reflection. Aged with worry, changed by time, would he still recognize her? She felt herself grow sick just by the mere thought of him. What would happen to her if she actually saw him again?

•••••••

“Hey… did you hear the news?”

“What news?”

“She’s back!”

“You can’t be serious. She can’t be back.”

“Well she’s back. You better believe it.”

“Even when HE is here?”

They both glanced in the direction of “him.”

He was dozing off in his car again. As each day pass, he grew more and more lifeless and yet, he always had the energy to drive like he does.

“Do you think he knows about it?”

“I don’t know, man, but I’m out. Only a fool would take to the road at night with the two of them together. I love life too much. And as much as I love to feel the cliff of death drawing near, I’m not ready to jump.

•••••••

Cyndi was sitting in his car. She was sitting the driver seat and she felt like crying as she held on to the small, well balanced steering wheel. Memories came storming back as everything in the car reminded her of their days in the sun.

Cyndi had switched cars with him for this final race. She didn’t tell him why but he agreed. He would have agreed to anything.

-

“Under one condition… if I win, I hope you will reconsider giving me a second chance. I’ll take care of Jolin like I promised you. I won’t make the same mistake again.”

“Fine with me… but if I win, you must promise to quit and live a dull, happy life.”

Jae was agreeable. “Okay but... Are you sure you know how to steer her on the narrow turns?” he didn't look too sure.

“Of course… how hard could it be…?” She gave him an arrogant smile to reassure him.

-

Cyndi had a feeling this was the last time she would ever see him again and of course, she was right.

Cyndi was always right.

•••••••

“What is it, Tim?” He watched the man stumble in.

“It’s Cyndi. She swapped cars with him and she is clutch kicking! She must have known you used her as a distraction so Jae wouldn’t notice you tampered with his brakes!” The man was out of breath.

“How could she… Quick, try to stop them before they make it to the 4th tunnel.” The man rushed out quickly, tripping over the loose rug.

He was worried. How could this possibly be happening? He just wanted Jae out of the picture but not Cyndi. This was not how he had planned it. And now, he had endangered her. So foolish…. So damn foolish.

He sat there and waited. He knew Jae would come for him.

•••••••

Jae came and it was all over…

Sykotica Notes: I find myself laughing at this layout after I've finished it. Why is it so funny?! All you physicists out there... not a word from you. Yes, especially YOU. And now that I think about it, I should've made the targets move before getting shot. Oh god, I'm looking out of my workplace and the snow is really coming down. That means traffic. More than usual.