Falling

Sykotica Preview Layouts
VOLUME XLVII: FALLING DOWN
Moonstone ~ Part Seven (Last Part!) Incomplete
XSYKOTICA
Hero looked back at Cyndi. His smile told too  much and too little at the same time. It was one of those ambiguous grins frequently used in diplomatic exchanges.

“I will see you in the morning, my little pet.”

Cyndi looked dumbstruck. Did he just call her a pet? Wait, shouldn’t she be relieved he wasn’t going to kill her? Why was she complaining?

Oh. Cyndi knew why. She didn’t want to be anyone’s pet. Whatever they were planning, the Hero guy and the butler, she wasn’t going to let it run smoothly.

“Ah, I almost forgot about the yellow diamond.” Hero unlinked the metal chain from his neck and released it. Cyndi was fully expecting a loud clang but the thing didn’t feel like obeying the laws of gravity… it was like magnetic or something. The chain flew straight towards her. Cyndi closed her eyes. Did he change his mind about killing her?

Cyndi felt the sudden weight change in the palm of her hand. She slowly opened one eye. The yellow diamond, now in her possession, had a chain linked to it. So it wasn’t going for her… it was attracted to the diamond. Wait, but why wasn’t it trying to get to the diamond when it was around Hero’s neck? Wait, why wasn’t she surprised that a chain just flew twelve meters and linked itself to a diamond?

Hero left them. She looked up to find him gone.

“Miss Cyndi… It would be in your best interest to rest befo-”

“Jonathan, don’t speak to me. I’m tired.”

She got up from the couch and almost fell back down. What’s up with her? Cyndi felt a little weak at the knees and the butler came to help. She thought about pushing him aside but decided against it. That would've taken too much of her energy.

Once outside in the hallway, her beloved staff surrounded Cyndi, quietly fussing over her.

“We need to get her back to the room.” One of them whispered.

“Which one? The Persian Wing or a better one for recuperation?” Someone else asked.

“Take her to the nearest prepared one. It looks like she’s going back to sleep for the second time.”

“Billy, carry her. She’s going to be out any minute.” A tall lady motioned for the young gardener.

Just like that, someone turned out the lights for Cyndi and she was sound asleep.

In the morning, Cyndi woke to the chirping of an exotic little bird. It bathed in the natural birdbath while singing a happy tune. Her pillow felt cool against her hot cheeks as she nuzzled her face against it. Birds chirping, cool pillows, fresh earthy green smell, she was definitely in the Garden Loft, one of her many naturally grown rooms. Cyndi rolled onto her side. What was this feeling in her arms and legs? She was aching all over. Usually she didn’t mind not remember what happened the night before but this time, she was curious. Why was her muscles so tense all of a sudden? She slowly sat up. The gates opened and the morning maids walked promptly in.

“Shall we prepare your shower, miss?”

“Did I do something crazy last night? My body isn’t usually this uncooperative after a good night sleep.”

“We had Persian Market Day. You did a little too much dancing with us.”

“And a little too much to drink because we were all having so much fun.” The other maid added.

They were all professional liars. Of course, they had to be. How were they supposed to perform their cos play acting duties without that particular skill?

“I see…”

“So shall we get your shower ready, miss?”

“I feel like taking a bath in the pond.” Cyndi pointed to the pond next to her bed.

“Very good, miss. I will go retrieve your robe and speak with the operator.” the maids disappeared through the hanging willow leaves.

The other stayed by Cyndi’s side to assist her.

“Where is Katherine? Why isn’t she here yet?”

“The stewardess caught a little cold last night and did not want to get you sick, miss. You can just tell us what today is and we will prepare it as usual.”

“Is she in the Room of Healing? If not, have her move over there. It has nice warm lighting and… it’s just so dear.”

“We will do as you wish. And today?” The maid patiently waited for her answer.

“Since we’re already in the Garden Loft, let’s make it Earth Day.”

“Perfect, miss. I will alert the others. They will be thrilled especially the gardeners.”

Cyndi smiled at the mention of her gardeners. They were awesome.

The other maid returned with a soft looking robe in one arm and a large woven basket in the other.

“Your bath, miss?”

Cyndi slid out of her bed. The maids helped strip her bare.  The pond was now transformed into a hot spring . She could see the steam slowly rising up from the surface. Cyndi slipped one foot in and then the other. The next moment, her whole body was submerged underwater. She could feel the bubbles massaging her aching body. It felt so good.

One of the maids tapped her shoulder twice to announce a message.

Cyndi came back up to the surface. Her long black hair covered her face. She inhaled deeply before sweeping the wet hair out of her eyes.

“The butler is at the gates. He wants to inform you that you have a guest.”

A Guest? Who could it be this early in the morning?

“Ask him who it is.” Cyndi squeezed the back of her neck. Her shoulders were still a little tense.

“Let me, miss.” the other maid offered.

She felt the cool soft fingers work their way into her neck and shoulder muscles.

“He says that your guest is the nephew of this estate’s former owner and- What?!” The last word was not meant for Cyndi. It was meant for the butler who was on the other line. Each staff member had a device similar to a walkie talkie except it was very small consisting of a nearly invisible ear piece and a tiny microphone that could be attached anywhere. In this case, the maid had it attached to her bracelet.

“What is it?” Cyndi asked.

“He’s coming to meet you right now…. What?!” Again, her outburst was meant for the butler.

“And?”

“He’s at the gates entering the Garden Loft as we speak!”

Sykotica Notes: Back in Cutouts, I said something about Shibasaki Ko's falling like Alice down the rabbit hole. Well, this is it. Sliced, warped, scribbled on, etc. This is the original with her whole body in tacted. Looking at it makes me feel like Dexter's nemesis in the first season (the guy who likes to bleed out his victims then cut up their bodies in nice clean measured chunks.) If you've never watched that show, you're missing out on the blood and the psychopaths.