Cogs and Thorns

Sykotica Preview Layouts

VOLUME XXVIII: Cogs and Thorns ~ Dance of Death - 4
VOLUME XXVIII: Cogs and Thorns ~ Dance of Death - 4
XSYKOTICA
Cyndi knew the call would come eventually and it did right before she decided to leave for her vacation.

“Boss, where are you? You’re off the map.”

“I’m taking my long overdue vacation.” Cyndi replied.

“Vacation? What’s going on?”

“If you’re having problems, go to my fill-in and complain.”

“You mean that guy? He has no clue what he’s doing. And why is the real death taking a break? Are you even allowed breaks?”

“Karen, there is no real or fake death. There’s just Death. It’s very simple.”

“Great.”

“Anything else before I fly out to the Bahamas?”

“No… I’m just watching this half wit stand around wondering what to do. You know him. The one you trusted this whole Death operation to.” Karen was always so sarcastic. There was no one who could match it. Cyndi was already use to it.

“You can go and show him the ropes instead of just watching from afar. I’m not forbidding it.”

“Great.”

“You know Karen, it doesn’t hurt to hear a ‘Great, boss! I’d love to give him some tips!’ once in a while. You know how our job can get a little gloomy sometimes. You just have to add to it, don’t you.” Cyndi teased.

“Great. Well, enjoy your break as best as you can boss because when you get back, there will be a lot of mopping to do.” Karen, one of her many employees hung up.

Cyndi was hoping Sydney had called her instead. Karen wasn’t one to “talk” much but Sydney, once you tell her a secret, it was sure to reach everyone’s ears before the sun went down.

“Oh well, the rest of them will have to find out the hard way.” She slid out her phone and silenced it.

Finally free, Cyndi looked at herself in the mirror. It was time for some sun bathing. Her complexion desperately needed it.

Meanwhile, Hero stood on the sidewalk full of people exactly where she had left him. Maybe he should have told her the whole truth but then again, who would believe him. Besides, she didn’t seem like the very understanding type so it wouldn’t have mattered.

“Ouch.” The ring just shocked him. What the heck?

“It does that when you’re late, I think.” The woman wore her black hair in a pony tail. She was casually dressed in a white tee shirt and blue faded jeans.

“Umm… excuse me but are you talking to me?”

“Who else am I talking to? Her?” She pointed at a random woman passing by.

“I’m here to help you out because it is painfully obvious you have no clue what you’re supposed to do as Death.”

“So you’re like her. Sorry, I’m kind of new to this, …”

“Karen. You can call me Karen. And no, I don’t think I’ll need to know your name. I’ll just call you boss.

“Boss?”

“We’re not like Death. Well, I mean others like me. We’re Death’s underlings. I don’t really know what you are. New temp boss? I’ll just call you boss.”

“Wait… I’m confused. What do I do, I mean you, no, I mean we do?”

“Not much to it, really. Find the person on the list and give them the touch.”

“Ouch!” The ring shocked him again. “What the hell am I supposed to do? It keeps doing that.”

Karen shook her head, “We need serious help.” She took out her phone and texted another Death underling.

“I’m here! I’m here! What is it?” A petite bubbly girl popped out of nowhere.  She had on a cute vintage curtain… cross that, it looked like a curtain but really it’s supposed to be dress.

“Karen, you called me! Look, I got your text message right here. Usually you don’t text me but I got your text.”

“Actually, I texted your twin but it looks like…” Karen exhaled. “Nevermind. You’re here already.”

“Yeah, twinnie is kind of busy right now so… but I’m here. What can I do for you?”

“I’m actually trying to explain to the new boss about what he needs to do but obviously I’m not being clear enough.”

“Uh huh.” Tiara, the petite girl, nodded as if she was listening very intently.

“Maybe you’ll do a better job since I’m not getting through to him.” Karen looked at Hero who was still in a state of shock. She looked back to Tiara to find her gone.

“Great. That’s why I texted the twin instead.”

Karen approached Hero and grabbed his hand.

“Okay, you touch here.” Karen pointed at the ring.

“What?”

“Touch this part of the ring now!”

Hero did what he was told and a list appeared.

“Okay, so we start from the top and work our way down the list. SHIFT.” The scene warped and they were in another place. It looked like the same city but just a different block. Hero didn’t get a good look at the list back there but now that he had some time before Karen issued another order, he saw a familiar name at the top.

“Calvin?”

Sykotica Notes: If you have trouble applying the layout, refer to Marketplace Layout How-to. There should be step-by-step instructions for each layout including Cogs and Thorns. This layout was drawn by the wife again (the flower and thorns). I think with bamboo graphic tablet and brushes. I added in the cogs and arranged. O. And the bloody speckles lol in the same style as In Her Eye and In His Eye.