Number one

Can you hear me?

Doojoon’s POV

“Lunch has turned into dinner, and dinner has turned into supper, and supper has become breakfast, and the cycle repeated itself five times, but my dear friend Iseul has still not met up with poor, starving Doojoonie yet.” I said over the phone.

Iseul laughed and then sighed.

“Sorry, Doodoo~” She apologized. I could picture her pouting.

“It’s going to be your treat already.” I said.

“I’ll buy you breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper for a week.” She said.

“HA! Then I shall prepare to starve.” I said.

“Why?” She asked innocently.

“Because you’ll never come! You’ll be so preoccupied with work you’ll just forget about me!” I said.

“Noooooooooooooo!!! I wouldn’t!!!! I’ll…. order takeout for you!” She chuckled.

“Aie~” I sighed.

“Awwww~ Come on! Don’t be like this! I’m sorry, but I really have to finish this. It’s not my fault they came with a complicated case like this, right?” She said.

“Yea, yea. It’s not your fault.” I said.

“Exactly!” She said.

We were silent for a while.

“I got to get back to work.” She said.

“So fast?” I asked.

“Yea. You want your breakfast, lunch and dinner, right?” She asked.

“And supper too.” I said.

“Yes, yes, how can we forget supper?” She laughed.

“Take a break, okay?” I said.

“You too.” She said.

“We really can’t talk for a little while more?” I asked.

“Erm….” She responded.

“Alright, I get it. See you soon.” I said, ending the call.

Just as I was about to put my phone away, it rang with a text message.

‘Is my Doodoo okay? Do I need to kill anyone? ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻’ Iseul texted.

I laughed out loudly. Fortunately, I was alone in the living room of our dorm. Everyone else has gone to sleep.

‘No, no <(-'.'-)>’ I replied.

‘No, no for no you are not okay? Or no, no for no I don’t need to kill anyone? (ÒДÓױ)’ She replied.

‘No, no for you don’t need to kill anyone.’ I replied.

‘Uh oh. So the other no is for you’re not okay?’ She replied.

‘ʘ‿ʘ I’m okay!’ I replied.

I received no reply from her after that. I went back to my room to lie down. I was feeling moody for no particular reason. I tossed and turn in bed, unable to fall asleep. I walked out of the room and went to sit on the sofa instead. I stared out at the night sky blankly and listened to the quietness that filled the house.

I almost screamed when I heard the doorbell. I took a quick glance at the time. Who was it ringing our doorbell at 1AM? I thought it might be some ridiculous kid playing a prank on people at this timing when the doorbell did not ring again, but my anger rise when it did.

“If you’re some kid thinking that your prank is really funny, you should start running now because the moment I open the door I’m going to twist your neck! You messed with the wrong person today!” I grumbled as I headed towards the door.

I opened the door roughly.

“Ahh~ So my Doodoo is really in a bad mood.” Iseul said as she pushed her way into the dorm.

“Iseul?” I asked, my jaw dropped.

“You have this camera here for a reason, you know. Use it. Who just grumbles like an old man and then open the door like a gangster at 1.07AM? If it was a robber or someone who is out to murder you, you’ll be dead by now.” She said as she settled two plastic bags on the table.

“Robbers wouldn’t ring the doorbell.” I said.

“Maybe he is polite.” She said.

She always had nonsensical reasons.

“Why are you here?” I asked.

“Supper?” She asked, gesturing to me to the table.

I looked at her, and then the food. She walk towards me and dragged me over.

“Work is important to me, but my best friend is still number one.” She said as she made me sit down.

“Should I be glad that I am above those dead bodies?” I asked.

“Sarcastic Doodoo is moody Doodoo.” She said.

“I’m not.” I sighed.

“Ah, right~ You’re just… not smiling, not laughing, not getting excited, not amused, not all the positive emotions in the world. You’re not moody. You’re just not those.” She said.

I laughed helplessly.

“”Yay! One point for Iseul for making Doodoo laugh!” She clapped.

“Shhh~ The boys are asleep.” I said softly.

She covered and peeked over to the corridor to see if anyone woke up.

“And no one point for you, only half. Because that was a helpless laugh.” I said.

“BUT I ABANDONED WORK AND BOUGHT YOU SUPPER!!!!!” She said loudly.

“Shhhhhhhhhhh!!!” I covered , glaring at her.

The boys were very tired and I did not want them awake for no reason.

“Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry.” She kept apologizing.

“Zero points for you.” I said.

“Aww~” She stuck out her lower lip.

I pinched her lips and smiled at her cuteness.

“Where did you manage to buy all these at such an ungodly hour?” I asked.

“Just shut up and eat.” She said, stuffing a piece of chicken into my mouth.

We ate in silence, occasionally looking up at each other and exchanging smiles.

“Aigoo~ Our Doojoonie eats so well~” She said, wiping the corner of my mouth.

“I’m not a baby.” I laughed.

“You’ll always be a baby to me.” She said.

“I’m older, mind you.” I said.

“Okay, old baby.” She stuck out her tongue.

“Thanks for supper.” I said.

“Are you tired?” She asked.

I shrugged my shoulders.

“Up for a car ride?” She asked.

“You’re not going home or going back to work?” I asked, surprised.

“You weren’t listening to me just now? I said my best friend is still number one. How can I leave with you still sulking?” She asked.

“I’m fine.” I said.

“Yea, fine. My ~” She said.

“Oh my god. Mind your language, little girl.” I said.

“Not so little anymore~” She winked at me.

“You don’t have to do this. I’ll just go and sleep. I’ll be fine tomorrow.” I said.

She waged her index finger at me.

“Wait for me here.” She said, patting me on my head.

I cleared up the empty food boxes while waiting for her to come out.

“Okay. Let’s go.” She said.

I turned to find her holding my blanket, bolster, a soft toy and my jacket.

“What are you doing?” I asked, eyes widened.

She said nothing. She smiled at me as she put on my jacket for me.

“Hold this yourself, would you?” She asked, making me hug the soft toy.

“What are you doing!?” I asked again when she linked arms with me, literally dragging me out of the house.

“Shhh~ So noisy. Trying to wake the whole neighbourhood?” She frowned playfully.

She pushed me into the passenger seat of her car, and then adjusted the seat for me to lie down. She took off my shoes and pulled my legs up onto the dashboard. She made me hug the bolster before covering the blanket cover me.

“What’s this!?” I asked when she got into the driver’s seat.

“Shhh~ Close your eyes and sleep.” She said.

“EH?” I looked at her, surprised.

“Shhh~” She smiled and patted my chest lightly as she drove off.

She drove slowly along the empty streets. I stared out of the window. There was absolutely no one at all, but all the streetlights were on.

“Aren’t the streetlights lonely?” I asked.

“Sorry?” She asked.

“Aren’t the streetlights lonely?” I asked again.

“Are they?” She asked.

“They are all , but they light for no one.” I said.

“Who said they light for no one?” She asked.

“There’s no one around.” I said.

“Aren’t me and you around?” She asked.

I turned to look at her. She returned me with a smile.

“It doesn’t matter how many people are around, even if there is no one, the streetlights would still be lighted up.” She said.

“It’s a waste of energy.” I said.

“And so? Just because it seems like it’s a waste, they don’t light up?” She said.

She stopped the car suddenly, and then pointed outside.

“Who said the streetlights are lighted for nothing?” She asked as she pointed to a homeless man on the street.

“There are many things we don’t see but it does not mean it is not happening. Just like there are people who don’t say it, but they look up to you and appreciate you.” She said.

I frowned at her.

“I’m not saying anything. It’s just an example.” She smiled before continuing to drive.

“Iseul ah~” I called out.

“Hmm?” She responded.

“Do you want to die young or old?” I asked.

She stepped onto the brake suddenly, and then turned to look at me.

“What?” She asked.

“Do you want to die young or old?” I repeated my question.

“You mean, if I had a choice?” She asked.

I nodded.

“What is an appropriate time to die?” I asked.

“Don’t you realize that the moment we are born, we are actually already embarking on our journey towards death? We’re all dying here, Doodoo.” She said.

I stared at her, not knowing what to say.  

***
tumblrmk1xpba4hm1qed9kg.gifDoojoon: ʘ‿ʘ I’m okay!

tumblrmkbfx7jsjq1qed9kg.gifIseul:  We’re all dying here, Doodoo.