My version of the ending; Liar

Can you hear me?

Iseul’s POV

“Never mind.” Doojoon muttered, turning away from me.

“NO!” I yelled, hugging him tightly from behind.

“Let me go.” He said coldly.

“No, no, no!” I cried into his back.

“Please. I don’t wish to hurt you.” He said. I could feel the sadness in his voice.

I kept telling myself not to let go, because once I let him go, I would never have him back, and I was not going to allow that to happen.

“No.” I said firmly.

“Iseul, please.” He said again.

I felt droplets of water drip onto my hands. Was he crying? My arms around his waist loosen.

“Thank you.” I heard him mutter.

I stare at his back as he walked off. I knew I should be going after him, but I could not seem to be move my legs. Iseul, what have you done?

The next few days were horrible. I could not sleep, eat or do anything. Doojoon’s backview from that day occupied my mind. I tried calling and texting him but he ignored me totally. I was on the verge of giving up, but I knew I could not.

So, although he did not answer my calls or reply to my text messages, I texted him everyday, asking him if he was doing fine and if he was eating well. I sent him photos of Eun because I know he would be missing her even it was just a few days he did not see her.

I got no replies from him, but I know he has seen it all, and hopefully Eun would be able to put a smile on his face. I know she definitely would.

Doojoon’s POV

“What are you waiting for?” Hyunseung asked as he sat down next to me.

“Nothing.” I muttered.

“You’re staring at your phone. You’re waiting for something.” He said.

“I’m not.” I said.

“Yes, you are. You’re waiting for Iseul’s text.” He said.

I looked at him, and then away. Indeed, I was waiting for her text.

Although I was upset with her, I still love and care for her. And her texts are the only way I could know that she is not working herself to death.

“I’m just waiting for Eun’s photos.” I said, which was partially true. I miss Eun so much.

“I see~” He said with a smile.

“What’s with that smile?” I asked.

“I can’t smile?” He asked.

“Smile for all I care.” I said.

I quickly grabbed my phone when I saw it flash, but I was disappointed when it turned out to be an advertisement instead.

“Aye~ Just call her if you’re worried.” Hyunseung nudged me.

“Who says I’m worried? I don’t care. She doesn’t love me. So why should I be bothered about her?” I said.

But in fact I was pretty worried. She would usually text me around the same timings, but today, she was an hour or so late.

“Whatever. Sleep early, Doo. It’s a long day tomorrow.” He said before retreating into the room.

“Tomorrow.” I mumbled to myself.

Tomorrow I would have to go to court and face that guy as well as everyone else present and I would have to tell in front of everyone what happened that day. I had not thought about it until now. I was preoccupied with being upset with Iseul that I almost forgot about this.

I stared at Iseul’s contact on my phone, my thumb at the call button, but in the end, I threw my phone aside.

***
“Wake up! You’re gonna be late!” I felt someone shake my shoulders.

I opened my eyes to find Junhyung staring at me.

“Wha… what?” I asked. Did I fell asleep on the sofa?

“Why did you sleep here?” He asked, rubbing my cheeks to wake me up.

“I… I don’t know.” I said, feeling pretty disorientated.

“Never mind. Go wash up. We got to go.” He said.

“Go? Where?” I asked.

He stared at me with dropped jaw.

“To the court. Have you forgotten?” He asked.

“Oh.” I muttered.

On my way to the bathroom, I glanced at my phone, and still no messages from her. Has she given up on me already?

***
I honestly did not feel any nervousness until I was seated alone in the room. I felt like a pig waiting to be slaughtered. I had no idea what was going to happen out there, neither did I know what the outcome today would be.

I poked on my phone while waiting, tapping random numbers until I found the number so familiar. I had unconsciously tapped Iseul’s number. Did I subconsciously want her to be here with me so much? I guess I did. If Iseul was here, she would be able to calm me down.

A knock on the door snapped me out of my thoughts. I turned to see the police officer walking in. Why is it not Iseul?

“How are you feeling today?” He asked as he took a seat in front of me.

“Good.” I said quietly.

“Please know that we’re all on your side.” He said.

“Thank you.” I smiled.

There was another knock on the door, revealing a lady. She said something to the police officer before smiling at me and heading out.

“Are you ready?” The police officer asked me as he stood up.

“Yea.” I muttered, standing up as well. But, am I?

I was led into a room filled with people. It was only at this moment did my anxiety started building. I could feel myself getting dizzy at every step I took. I glanced around the room and I saw the boys. They smiled at me and mouthed encouraging words.

“Sit down.” The police officer whispered into my ear.

“Oh.” I sat down as I was told. I was feeling confused and nervous. It was like everything was coming down at me.

I was not paying attention during the trial. My mind was wandering and I could not seem to absorb anything.

“Yoon Doojoon ssh?” I heard a voice call me. It was only then did I snap out my thoughts.

“Ye… yea?” I answered, looking up.

A man stood in front of me, looking at me as though he was ready to tear me into pieces whenever he had the chance too.

“Yoon Doojoon sshi, are you paying attention now?” He asked.

“Yes.” I said.

“Very good. Listen well then. You said that this man behind me, my client, is the guy who you?” He asked, gesturing behind me.

The guy stared into my eyes and smirked at me. He looked exactly like how he looked when he me. I would never forget that face.

“Yes.” I said firmly, digging my nails into my palms to calm myself down.

“How sure are you? You were beaten up badly that day, and I believe you had just woken up from passing out. You were disorientated. So how could you be so sure that it was him?” He asked.

“It is him. I know it is him.” I said.

“I don’t care what you know. I just want to know how do you know. Answer my question, Yoon Doojoon sshi. How could you be so sure that it was him? In a state of confusion, did you even manage to see who it was?” He asked in a threatening voice, his face inches away from mine.

“It’s him. I just know.” I said. I could feel myself shaking with fear, but I tried to control myself. Iseul, where are you? Where are you?

“What you are saying is just surface words with no concrete evidence. You said you are sure it is him but you are unable to tell me how come you’re so sure. In actual fact, you do not know who it was that day who you. You accused my client of it because he is the most familiar face you’ve seen. Am I right to say that!?” He slammed his palms on the table, startling me.

I was about to say something but he interrupted me.

“Do you know it is a crime to lie in court? You’re a liar.” He pointed at me.

“NO! I’m not! It is him! I’m very, very sure! I’ll never forget his face!” I yelled.

“Then tell me! Tell everyone present here today! Tell us how sure you are it is him! Present us with evidence! Who was your witness!?” He asked.

I was lost for words. I had no witness that day. It was only Eun.

“All you had that day was the baby girl and nothing else! You’re talking from the memories of your confused state of mind. You’re accusing an innocent man!” He shouted at me.

“I AM NOT!!! I SWEAR!! HE ME!! I’LL NEVER FORGET HIS FACE!!! IT’S THIS SMIRK!!! HE SMIRKED AT ME LIKE THAT!!! IT HAUNTS ME EVERY NIGHT! HOW COULD I NOT REMEMBER!?” I yelled as I pointed to the . He was laughing and shaking his head.

I could feel tears stain my cheeks. I tried not to cry, but it was useless.

“ANYONE CAN SMIRK LIKE THAT! IF YOU WANT TO MAKE UP A STORY, AT LEAST MAKE UP A BETTER ONE!” He shouted.

“I AM NOT LYING!!! I’M NOT!!!!” I cried.

I was losing myself. My head hurt and I just wanted to get out of here. It suddenly did not matter whether the guy was sentenced to jail or not. I did not care anymore.

“STOP IT! STOP DOING THIS TO HIM!!!” I heard a familiar voice shout.

I turned to see Junhyung going crazy. The boys were trying to pull him to sit down but he was struggling. The other boys were looking at me with a pained expression too. Were they disappointed with me?

“I’m not lying. I’m not. I swear I am not.” I cried.

The police officer had an angry look on his face. Was he angry at me? Did he think I was lying too?

“SHOW ME EVIDENCE THAT YOU AREN’T LYING!” The lawyer shouted into my face.

He kept shouting into my face words I could no longer make out. I felt nauseous and giddy.

‘LIAR! EVIDENCE!’ These were the only words I could hear.

Everything felt like a mess until everyone diverted their attention to the door.

“Iseul! I’m not a liar!!” I broke down completely when I saw her walk in.

She looked at me, and then away. Did Iseul not trust me too?