Nothing is wrong

Can you hear me?

Doojoon’s POV

“Are you going for your part-time job or coming back with us?” Junhyung asked after we finished our practice.

“What part-time job?” I asked.

“Babysitting.” He laughed.

I punched his arm lightly.

“Iseul is new to this baby thing. She needs help, especially at night.” I said.

“Whatever you do is your choice, but you got to remember something.” He said.

“Eun will never be mine.” I said quietly.

“I wasn’t going to say that.” He said.

“Or else, what?” I asked.

“I was going to ask you to remember that you’re human too and you need to rest. You can’t work twenty-four hours a day.” He said.

I smiled and nodded.

“And Doo,” He stopped me before I could go.

“It doesn’t matter whether your blood flows in Eun’s body or not, because your love and care does.” He said.

“Thanks.” I smiled.

I went back to Iseul’s place, excited to see my little princess. It’s been a week and it still seems very magical that she is already born. Iseul’s parents come in the day to take care of the baby while I take care of her at night. Iseul only does the cuddling part with Eun. Perhaps you can call me bias, but I willingly let her slack off.

“Stop letting this stupid girl take advantage of you, Doo! It’s her baby!” Iseul’s mom said when she saw me.

“It’s okay. I enjoy taking care of Eun.” I smiled, waving to the tiny being.

“Say hi~” Iseul said, raising Eun’s hand, waving it gently.

“You are making her have the wrong idea that parenting is all fun.” Her dad said.

“But it is fun. Am I right, my sweetheart?” She turned to Eun, giving the baby a peck on her nose.

My heart fluttered at the sight.

“It’s fun because you’re enjoying all the happy moments while everyone else is doing the tough part for you.” He said.

“Iseul carried Eun for nine months. She deserves a break.” I said.

“You see! Doodoo understands and loves me the most.” Iseul said.

“Then why don’t you love him back?” Her mother said, startling both Iseul and I.

“I’ll… go shower.” I hurried into the toilet, feeling embarrassed.

“Don’t sprout nonsense.” I heard Iseul say.

My heart ached a little. Loving me is considered nonsense?

***
“Aigoo~ You drink so well~” I said to Eun as I fed her.

“Does she? How come she drinks so slowly when I feed her?” Iseul asked, sitting down beside me, making faces at Eun.

“Because she wants to spend more time with you, that’s why she drinks slowly on purpose.” I said.

“Really?” She asked with raised eyebrow.

“Yea. You can ask her.” I said.

“Look at how your Doodoo is already defending you.” She said, poking Eun’s feet gently.

“She’s so small I can keep her in my pocket.” I commented.

“That sounded erted!” Iseul laughed.

“Sorry.” I chuckled.

“Come, I’ll burp her.” Iseul said after Eun was done drinking.

I handed Eun to her, watching the baby girl almost fall asleep as Iseul burped her.

“Such a sleepyhead.” Iseul laughed.

“Sleep all you can now, princess. Enjoy your time as a baby and don’t grow up too fast.” I said.

Eun started crying loudly when Iseul tried to put her down in her cot.

“Princess, be good.” Iseul said, rocking the girl back and forth before trying to put her down again.

“I can’t be carrying you all night, you know.” She pouted.

“I’ll do it.” I said.

“What?” She asked.

“I’ll just cradle her in my arms.” I said.

“You’ve been doing that for the past nights. She’s being spoiled.” She said, putting Eun down in the cot, letting the girl cry.

I could not watch Eun cry. She had this extremely pitiful look I just have to give her whatever she wants. I picked her up and hushed her.

“Why do we need a cot when you’re just going to let her sleep in your arms every night?” Iseul asked.

“That’s right, we don’t need a cot then.” I said.

“She just a week old and you’re letting her control you already.” She said.

I smiled, holding Eun close to me.

“Look at how Doodoo allows you to bully him! Naughty girl!” Iseul scolded Eun.

Eun let out a small smile which melted my heart.

“Did you see that!? Why are you sooooooo cute!?” I asked Eun, squeezing her a little.

“Oh goodness~” Iseul shook her head.

***
Iseul’s POV

I was shocked awake by Eun’s loud cries. Usually I would not hear her cries because Doojoon would be so quick to run to her that she would not even awake me, but today, it seems like she has been crying for a long time. I jumped out of bed and hurried to her room just in time to hear the crying stop. Doojoon was cradling her in one of his arm while he worked on preparing milk with his other.

“Did she wake you? Sorry, sorry.” He apologized.

“No, it’s fine.” I said.

He looked a little confused. His cheeks were slightly flushed and he had beads of perspiration flowing down his neck.

“Are you alright?” I asked.

“Yea, yea. I just didn’t hear her on time. I’m sorry.” He said.

I saw his hand shook when he put the bottle at Eun’s mouth.

“Your hand is shaking.” I said.

He clenched his fist and let out a sigh before proceeding to feed her. I could tell he was trying to control himself.

“Why not I feed her?” I said, trying to take the bottle from him.

“No, no, no. I can do it.” He said.

“Why are your hands so cold?” I asked, feeling his hands.

“It’s nothing.” He said.

“Doo, tell me.” I said.

“I said it’s nothing!” He raised his voice slightly.

I was surprised by his attitude.

“I’m just tired, but I’m okay. Don’t worry, alright?” He said.

I nodded quietly. I waited for him to be done with feeding Eun.

“You know, we could take turns to feed her.” I said when we were outside.

“Huh?” He looked at me.

“I should do my part as her mother too. We can take turns to feed her. You don’t have to wake up so many times per night. You’re not getting enough rest.” I said.

“I’m okay.” He said.

I knew I could not outtalk him.

“Alright. Good night then.” I said.

He nodded, walking back to the living room. I felt bad for letting him sleep on the couch, but there was no other room in this house. Eun and I occupied both rooms. I asked him to sleep with me, but he refused. I had no idea why. It is not as if we have never slept on the same bed before.

I walked out of my room to get a cup of water. I checked on Eun before heading to the kitchen. I was surprised when I saw Doojoon awake.

“Doodoo, are you okay?” I asked when I saw him with his eyes shut and looking like he was in pain.

“Doo?” I called out as I headed over to his side.

He was shaking and his body felt cold.

“Doodoo!!” I shook him, trying to get his attention.

He opened his eyes awhile later, looking at me tiredly.

“What’s wrong!?” I asked worriedly.

He shook his head, and then lied back down onto the couch.

“Doo! Don’t tell me nothing is wrong! You were shaking and looking like you’re in pain, and your body is so cold.” I said.

“It’s really nothing.” His voice came out raspy.

I made him something warm to drink.

“Are you feeling unwell? Do you want to see a doctor?” I asked as I helped him to sit up.

He shook his head, sipping on the warm drink.

“I’m just having a little bit of headache. Nothing to worry about.” He said.

“Are you sure? Why not you sleep with me tonight?” I asked.

He waved his hand in refusal. I almost argued with him about it, but his facial expression told me he was too tired to even talk.

“Alright, alright. You rest then.” I said, covering the blanket over him.

I sat next to him, watching him fall into a deep sleep before heading back to my room.

Doo, you are really okay, right?