Hear me

Can you hear me?

Iseul’s POV

I sat on the bed next to Doojoon, watching him sleep. Even in his sleep, he looked like he was in a lot of pain. There was an almost permanent frown on his face and he would wince whenever he tries to turn or move his body. I took his temperature hourly to make sure he did not get a fever.

He opened his eyes with a sigh after two hours of sleep.

“Why are you up?” I asked.

“Can’t sleep.” He said softly.

“Drink some water.” I said, helping him up.

“Thanks.” He smiled weakly at me.

“Are you hungry? Want anything to eat?” I asked.

He shook his head, leaning back against the pillow.

“How are you feeling?” I asked.

“I feel like… I fell into a food processor… and got all grinded up.” He chuckled.

“You think it’s funny!?” I asked, but cannot help but laugh as well.

“It really hurts, but it doesn’t hurt as much as you keeping it from me.” He said.

“Keeping what?” I mumbled, looking down.

“Why didn’t you tell me you are pregnant and that he left you to fend for yourself?” He asked.

“How do you want me to tell it to you? Call you up and say ‘Doodoo, I’m pregnant, and you’re right, he’s an .’ You want me to do that?” I asked.

“You sure could.” He said.

I grabbed my phone and dialed his number. He stared at me quizzically when he saw my name flash on his caller ID.

“Hello?” He answered it, looking at me.

“Doodoo, I’m pregnant.” I said.

“Who’s the father?” He asked.

“Him.” I said.

“And where is he?” He asked.

“He ing left.” I said.

“Excellent. You don’t need a man like this in your life, and the baby don’t need a father like this. Where are you? Let’s go celebrate.” He said.

I had no idea what to say. I stared at him, crying openly. He ended the call and hugged me tightly.

“You’ll be okay. I promise you.” He said.

“Why the hell are you so nice?! I thought we weren’t friends anymore!” I cried.

“What do I do? You think it was easy trying to un-friend you?” He laughed.

I punched his chest lightly.

“You and the baby will be my responsibility from now on.” He said.

“You can’t do this. It’s not fair!” I cried.

“You know what is even more unfair?” He asked.

I looked at him.

“Giving the baby a jerk for a father and letting yourself live with an for a husband. That’s even more unfair.” He said.

“Doodoo….” I cried into his chest.

***
After I calmed down, we both lied in bed silently.

“After that night he came and created a scene here, after I screamed at him, he became really nice, you know?” I said.

“Mmm hmm~” He responded.

“He apologized and all, telling me how sorry and insensitive he was. I actually thought that because of that incident we could get closer and better. I naively thought we could last.” I said.

“It’s not naive.” He said.

“And then last week… when I told him I think I am pregnant… he just…” I could not seem to continue.

“It’s okay.” Doojoon said, pulling me closer to him.

But I felt the need to tell him. I had so much to tell him.

“All he said was ‘Oh’, and then he disappeared. When I say disappear, I meant like really, really disappeared. His phone number changed, he moved out of his house, the hospital said he got a transfer. I mean… I was not even planning on getting him to take full responsibility or what .” I said.

“Don’t curse. The baby will learn. I’m sure you don’t want the baby’s first words to be ‘’, right?” Doojoon said, covering my mouth.

“When I confirmed it, I was so scared. I had no one to go to.” I continued.

“You have me. You always had.” He said.

“I thought you didn’t want to see me.” I said softly.

“Am I really like that to you?” He asked.

“You were so angry that day.” I pouted.

“You don’t know me well enough. I’m disappointed.” He sulked.

“I’m sorry.” I apologized.

“Just teasing you.” He smiled, poking my cheek.

“I had no idea who to talk to. For one whole week, I was so confused. You know how I could never keep anything to my parents. I decided the best way out was to tell them. I just… I didn’t expect such an outcome.” I started crying again.

“Shhh~ Don’t cry~” He hushed me.

“They are in shock, and when we are lost as to how to react, we do it this way.” He said.

“But why did you come? How did you know?” I asked, recalling his sudden appearance.

“Your mom called me.” He said.

“She did?” I mumbled.

“She called me and asked me to come rescue you.” He smiled.

“She told you I am pregnant?” I asked.

He shook his head.

“You mean you only knew when my mom said it in the house!?” My eyes widened.

He nodded.

“AND THEN YOU SAID SOMETHING LIKE THAT!? ARE YOU CRAZY!?” I smacked him.

He groaned in pain.

“HOW COULD YOU SAY SOMETHING SO RECKLESS!?” I shouted.

“Are you shouting at me now? You think it’s reckless?” He asked.

“If it’s not reckless, then what is it!?” I shouted.

“Reckless or not, I said it not without thinking! I said it not with the intention to regret it a few days later! I am not ing 18 anymore!” He scolded.

“I said what I said not entirely for you! It was 30% for you, 40% for the baby and 30% for your parents! I figured that at least if your parents think the baby is mine, they‘d feel at peace enough to hand their stupid daughter to me! They’ll also feel less disappointed not knowing they’ve raised someone as blind as you! I know I should not be saying this but I ing told you! I ing told you to get away from him because he is an ! You were so blinded by love! What are you!? 16!? If you wanted to stay with him then at least be sensible enough not to get pregnant with his child!” He shouted at me.

I glared at him, tears flowing down my cheeks.

“If you are planning on having the baby, then you better wake up and think about how to be a better mother for the baby, because it is already really unfortunate for the baby that his blood is running in his or her veins. Don’t make it worse by being a horrible mother. You brought this upon yourself, so ing take the responsibility. And you call me crazy? Who is the crazier one? Who is the more reckless one? Who is the brainless one!?” He continued to scold me.

I bit on my lower lip, looking away angrily. How hurting is it to hear him tell me off like that, but what he say is painfully true. I am stupid.

Doojoon’s POV

I wanted to hug her after saying all those mean stuff to her but my body hurt so much. It hurt even more after being so angry. I let out a groan unconsciously.

“Are you okay!?” Iseul asked immediately.

I nodded.

“Come here~” I said, inviting her into my arms.

She leaned against my chest, her tears soaked my shirt.

“Sorry for the mean words.” I apologized.

“No. You’re right. I am stupid. I did nothing ever since knowing I am pregnant except whine and blame the whole world but myself. I even blamed you when you tried to help.” She cried.

“Stop crying already.” I said.

“But Doodoo, you really don’t have to do this.” She said.

“I am serious when I say I’ll take responsibility. I want your child to grow up nicely. I don’t feel good letting you bring him or her up. You’re not good enough.” I .

She pouted at me.

“You’re stupid.” I said, poking her nose.

“I sure am.” She smiled.

“But why, Doodoo ah? Why?” She asked.

“Because I love you, Iseul ah~ I love you.” I said.

“I love you too, Doodoo~ You’re my best friend.” She said.

“Now, get off me. It hurts.” I said.

She jumped off hurriedly.

“Where hurts!?” She asked worriedly.

“Teasing you.” I chuckled.

“Tsk!” She frowned.

“But I am tired.” I said.

“Sleep then. I’ll just be here.” She said.

I nodded and closed my eyes. Despite the silence, I could hear her words replay in my head: I love you too, Doodoo~ You’re my best friend.

It is me who is deaf, not you. But why can't you hear me? I love you, Iseul ah~ Can you hear me?

***
tumblrmkrgu3cm0y1qhnykb.gifDoojoon: Are you shouting at me now? You think it’s reckless?