Bothering

Can you hear me?

Iseul’s POV

I am into the first month of my pregnancy and I was still feeling normal. I saw online how people have all sorts of weird cravings and morning sickness, but should I count myself that I was still feeling okay? Doojoon was being really attentive by checking on me all the time despite his busy schedule. I felt so apologetic to him. The baby was not even his.

“You sound even more tired than I do.” I said to him on the phone.

“I’m not tired.” He said.

“Yes, you are. You’re so dead tired. I can tell just by listening to your voice.” I said.

“Hahaha! Alright, maybe I am a little tired.” He said with a yawn.

“Anyway, how’s the baby? You went to the doctor today, right? I’m so sorry I could not come with you.” He continued.

“It’s fine. You don’t have to come. I rather you sleep. The baby is good.” I said.

“Does the baby look like you?” He asked excitedly.

I laughed loudly.

“What!?” He asked.

“Are you really that clueless!?” I was still laughing.

“Clueless?” He asked curiously.

“How is it we can tell how the baby looks like now? It has just been a month!” I said.

“Ouh~ I was curious! Aish!” He grumbled.

“But really, Doodoo ah, you don’t have to do all these.” I said.

He remained silent.

“Doodoo?” I called out after awhile.

“Hmm?” He responded finally.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“Do you… not like it?” He asked.

“Not like what?” I asked.

“Me treating you like that. Do you not like it? Am I annoying you?” He asked.

“N.. no, no! You’ll never be annoying to me!” I said quickly.

“But..” He mumbled.

“It’s just.. you’re so tired, you don’t get enough rest, I don’t wish to tired you out even further.” I said.

“I enjoy doing this.” He said.

“But each time I see you so tired, I feel so sorry.” I said.

“I’m not tired. Even if I am, it’s the good kind.” He chuckled.

“Good kind, huh?” I asked.

“Very good kind.” He said.

“Have you eaten dinner?” I asked.

“Nope. Do you want to cook for me?” He asked.

“Why not? Drop by my place and I’ll cook you dinner.” I said.

“You’re at home?” He asked.

“No. I’m at work.” I laughed.

“Didn’t I tell you to take a break off work?” He asked, sounding disappointed.

He had been wanting me to take a break until I give birth because he feels that my job is too scary and unhealthy for the baby.

“I can’t just take a nine month break, can I?” I asked.

“Why not?” He asked.

“What am I going to eat!?” I asked.

“You’re just worrying about the money? That’s simple.” He said.

“What? Rob a bank and pray hard I don’t get caught?” I asked sarcastically.

“Why rob when I’ll willingly give it to you?” He asked.

“You’re crazy.” I muttered.

“I’m serious. If money is all you’re worrying about, then it’s not a worry at all.” He said.

“No, alright, Doo? No. I’m not going to take a break off my job. I would when my due date is near, but that’s months later. I can’t afford to just stay at home and let you take care of my needs.” I said.

“Why not?” He asked.

“Doo, we’re friends. I am not your wife.” I said.

“Oh.” He replied softly.

There was an awkward silence over the phone.

“I… erm… I need to go. Back to practice.” He said.

“Sure.” I answered.

“Take care. Bye.” He said, ending the call quickly.

Did I say something wrong?

I knocked off slightly later than usual that day because of a sudden case that cropped up. When I arrived home, it was around 9.30PM. I opened the door and got a shock when I saw that the lights were , as if someone was here all along.

“I didn’t even turn on the lights this morning.” I mumbled to myself.

I should be freaking out, but I was unusually calm and just really curious. But my curiosity was answered when I saw a familiar looking pair of shoes messily placed at the side. Doojoon’s~

I thought after what happened just now, he would not come.

“Doo?” I called out as I walked around, looking for him.

His bag was on the floor and he had left his clothes on the couch. Was he taking a shower? But there was no sound of running water.

“Doo? Are you inside?” I asked, knocking on the toilet door.

No answer.

“Doo?” I called out again, knocking on the door harder this time.

Still no answer.

“Doo!?” I raised my voice as I turned the doorknob. To my surprise, the door was unlocked. This must be a norm in their dorm.

“DOO!!!” I yelled, my heart almost stopping when I saw him almost submerge into the tub of water. Did he faint or did he fall asleep?

“DOO!!! DOO!!!” I shouted as I ran towards him.

I must have shocked him with my loudness because he jumped and slipped into the water. I pulled him up quickly. He was a coughing mess.

“Are you okay? Huh?” I asked worriedly as I patted his back.

He nodded, still coughing but not as bad as before.

“Are you hurt anywhere?” I asked.

He shook his head.

“Get out of the water.” I said, covering his shivering body with a towel.

It was only when he stood up did I remember he was totally .

“WOAH!” I covered my face in embarrassment.

“Huh? !” He turned around, covering himself.

“Sor.. sorry.” I stuttered as I hurried out.

He came out shortly with the towel wrapped around his hip.

“Are you okay?” I asked when he did not look good.

He nodded and sat down on the couch, rubbing his temples.

“Put on your shirt.” I said, helping him.

“Did you fall asleep or did you pass out?” I asked.

He shrugged his shoulders.

“Do you know it’s really dangerous? You could have drown.” I said.

“I’m sorry.” He muttered.

I said nothing, letting him cool down. He must have gotten quite a shock himself.

“I think the water was too hot, and I was sleepy too.” He said finally.

“Did you not know how to use the tap?” I asked, not trying to sound sarcastic.

“The hot water was so comfortable.” He said, curling up on the couch.

“Didn't I say you’re tired, and you denied?” I asked, massaging his head.

“Ahhh~ That’s nice~” He smiled.

“If you ever want to take a life risking scorching hot water bath, please do it when someone is at home. You scared the hell out of me just now.” I said.

He frowned.

“There’s no hell in you. Only baby.” He said.

I rolled my eyes, cannot help but laugh.

I let him lie on my lap while massaging him.

“I thought you wouldn’t come.” I said.

“Didn’t you say you want to cook me dinner?” He asked.

“Yea, but…” I muttered.

“But what?” He asked.

“This afternoon…” I said softly.

“This afternoon… You were right.” He said.

“Huh?” I responded.

“Maybe I am bothering too much. I’m sorry.” He said with a slight smile.

“No, don’t be. I know you’re concerned and all, but Doodoo, I’m more worried for you than I am for myself. You’re the one who is always on the verge of working yourself to death.” I said.

He laughed loudly.

“It’s not funny!” I laughed, smacking him.

“Owww~ Sorry, sorry~” He giggled.

“Are you hungry?” I asked.

“Extremely!” He exclaimed.

“Okay.” I said.

I shifted his head from my lap to the pillow.

“Rest here while I go cook.” I said.

“Let’s just order.” He said.

“No. I’m cooking. Take a nap or what! I’ll call you!” I said before hurrying off into the kitchen.

I cooked a simple meal because it was late and I guess he must be really hungry. When I came back out to inform him dinner was about ready, I saw him asleep. I sat down next to him, watching him sleep. He was snoring softly, his mouth opened slightly; an indication that he was in a very deep slumber. All was good until his stomach growled loudly, startling both me and him.

“What was that sound!?” He snapped out of sleep.

I pointed at his stomach, giggling to myself. Did he just technically shocked himself out of sleep?

“What?” He asked.

“Nothing. Come on. You’re hungry. Let’s eat.” I said, pulling him to the dining table.

“Wah~” His eyes brightened at the food.

“Dig in.” I said.

He nodded excitedly. He held onto his chopsticks and look at the food, perhaps wondering which to eat first.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“Which should I eat first?” He asked.

“Anything!” I laughed.

“It’s a tough decision. Everything looks so good.” He said.

“Doodoo, don’t exaggerate. There’s only three dishes.” I rolled my eyes.

When I looked up again, he was stuffing his mouth with food hungrily.

“Eat slowly. It’s all yours.” I said.

He nodded, but still ate the same way. I let him be, just as long as he does not choke, I guess it is okay.

“Thank you for the meal!” He grinned after he was done eating.

“You’re welcome.” I said.

“Isn’t it nice to have homemade food?” He said, rubbing his tummy.

“It sure is.” I said, remembering how I went home every night in the past and have dinner waiting for me on the table. It has been almost a month since I saw my parents. I wonder if they miss me.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

“Yea.” I forced a smile.

***

“Iseul~” My colleague called out.

“Yea?” I asked, looking up from my work.

“Your boyfriend is here.” She smiled cheekily.

I am three months pregnant now and it was starting to show slightly. I did not want to keep it from my colleagues so I broke the news to them, but of course leaving out the part where Jaehyun was being an .

To my surprise, they not only did not judge me, they started taking extra care of me. They made sure I had my meals on time and made sure I did not have to stay back after work. I was thankful, but at the same time, sorry.

“My boyfriend?” I asked.

Did Jaehyun decide that he wants to appear now after so long? I did not want him in my life. I do not want him to know about the baby. What does he want from me? 

***
tumblrml3rxokpwk1ryeo7p.gifIseul: Doo, we’re friends. I am not your wife.

tumblrmlxgf4bnm11qgzy3o.gifDoojoon asleep on the couch