Blessing in disguise

Can you hear me?

Iseul’s POV

Doojoon slept and woke up countless times, but each time he woke up, he looked even worse than before. I was starting to get worried about his condition but he kept reassuring me that he was okay and that he did not need to go to the hospital.

“But you’re hurting so badly.” I said.

“I’ll be fine tomorrow.” He said.

“I’m sorry.” I apologized.

“Stop it.” He frowned.

I pouted, and he laughed.

“I should go. You need to rest.” I said.

“Where are you going to go?” He asked.

I shrugged my shoulders.

“Somewhere. Anywhere.” I said.

“Stay here tonight. Tomorrow I’ll bring you to my place.” He said.

“Your place?” I asked.

He nodded.

“I don’t want to bother your parents.” I said.

“What do you mean? I meant my own place. You can stay there. I can stay with you if you like, but if you want privacy, the house is yours.” He said.

“You have an apartment? When?” I asked.

“You see, that’s why I told you not to be away for too long.” He chuckled.

“I didn’t know you were so rich.” I .

“Yea, I’m very rich. Do you want to marry me?” He asked.

I laughed and punched his shoulder, totally forgetting about his injuries. He let out a painful cry.

“I’m sorry!! I forgot! Are you okay!?” I asked quickly.

He squeezed his eyes shut, but nodded.

“Sorry, sorry.” I apologized again.

“It’s okay.” He smiled weakly.

“But… I can’t stay at your place without giving you anything in return. I’ll pay for rent.” I said.

He frowned and glared at me.

“At least… let me pay the bills then.” I said timidly.

“The best way to pay me is be healthy and well, for yourself and your baby. Don’t worry about anything else, okay?” He said.

I sighed and nodded, not like I have a choice.

***
“Are you okay?” He asked me.

I looked down, clasping both my hands together tightly in nervousness.

“I don’t know.” I mumbled.

“It’s fine. They’ll accept it.” He said.

I did not want to keep it from the Beast boys. They ought to know what was going on. Doojoon said to let him handle it, but I was still scared.

“Hyung, are you feeling better? Are you going to tell us what happened?” Yoseob asked.

Doojoon had called all of them into the room.

“What’s going on? We’ve been patient for the whole damn day.” Junhyung said grumpily.

He was frowning at me, as though he knew I had something to do with Doojoon being hurt.

“Doodoo, let me say it.” I whispered to him.

He looked at me with raised eyebrow.

“Please.” I pleaded.

He nodded, giving his approval.

“I…” I mumbled.

The boys staring at me made me even more nervous than breaking the news to my parents.

“I… I am pregnant.” I said.

They gasped and their eyes widened.

“Who… whose?” Dongwoon managed to choke out.

“Mine.” Doojoon said even before I could say anything.

“WHAT!?” They shouted in unison.

“How!? Why!?” Hyunseung asked.

“Because I said so.” Doojoon said.

“Hyung, but…” Dongwoon mumbled.

“I’ll take responsibility of the baby, and I hope all of you would protect her and the baby too.” Doojoon said.

I got nervous when they looked at me, as though judging me.

“So, is it… a girl or a boy?” Junhyung asked, breaking the silence, a small smile creeping onto his lips.

“It’s only two weeks old! Did you not go to school!?” Doojoon laughed at him.

“How would I know!? I’ve never been pregnant!” He protested as the rest laughed at him as well.

“Don’t worry, Iseul ah~ We’ll protect you, but on one condition.” Kikwang said.

Doojoon narrowed his eyes at him.

“What condition?” I asked.

“You have to share the baby with us! We want to be his or her Daddy too!” He said excitedly.

“Sure.” I smiled.

“Aigoo! Why are you crying!?” Yoseob asked, cupping my cheeks as he wiped away my tears that flowed without me knowing.

Is this what they call a blessing in disguise?

***
Hyunseung gave up his bed for me to sleep that night. I felt so sorry to occupy his bed since they were all very tired from practice and at night was the only time they could really rest, but he insisted. Doojoon initially wanted to let me sleep on his bed but all of us stopped him from moving.

“I can just sleep in Jun and Kiki’s room.” Hyunseung smiled.

“Thanks.” I said.

“Sleep well, Iseul ah~ And baby too~” He waved cutely at my stomach.

I turned to Doojoon who was already asleep.

“Thank you so much for everything.” I whispered to him as I covered the blanket over him properly.

I lied in bed, unable to fall asleep. I had so much on my mind; the baby, my parents, my job, and of course, Doojoon.

I glanced at the time. It had been a little over an hour since Doojoon fell asleep. I took his temperature and sighed when I saw the numbers; 37.9 degrees. But I had expected it, judging from all the wounds, he was bound to get a fever somehow, it is just a matter of it being high or not.

I headed outside to get a cloth and ice to sponge him. I the lights and almost screamed when I saw Junhyung on the couch, groaning as the lights hurt his eyes.

“Sorry, sorry! I didn’t know you were here.” I apologized, turning off the lights quickly.

“It’s fine.” He sighed as he sat up, turning the side light on.

“Why are you sleeping here?” I asked.

“Hyunseung is occupying my bed like a starfish.” He grumbled.

“Ahhh~” I laughed.

“Do you want to sleep on his bed then? I doubt I’ll be able to sleep tonight.” I said.

“Why?” He asked.

“Doo’s running a slight fever. I guess I gotta try lowering the temperature by morning.” I said.

He nodded, and then he went to the kitchen.

“What are you doing?” I asked as I watched him fill the bucket with ice and water.

“Taking care of my leader brother?” He said with a smile as he went into the room with me following behind him.

“I can do it.” I said.

“You’ll have a lot of chance in future to take care of him.” He said as he placed the cold towel on Doojoon’s forehead, gently hushing him when he groaned from the sudden cold.

I sat on the bed watching him. I always knew, Junhyung, despite his cold and quiet outer, he was actually really gentle and warm inside, but it was only today did I see exactly how gentle and warm he is.

“Why are you staring at me?” He asked.

“I.. I.. No..” I mumbled, embarrassed.

“The baby…” He said, looking up.

“Huh?” I was caught off guard by his question.

“It’s not Doo’s, right?” He asked.

I stared at him, not knowing what to say.

“Are you angry?” I asked.

“Angry? For what?” He asked.

“I… Because of my stupidity, I added more burdens to Doojoon when he already has a lot to handle.” I said.

He shrugged his shoulders.

“You’re not the only stupid one. But aren’t we all like that when in love?” He asked.

I looked down.

“You cannot undo what has been done, well, unless you plan on aborting the baby, but it’s not like you can live like he or she never existed. You can wipe away all the bad memories, but really, all you’re doing is just pushing it aside. What is important is the present and what is going to happen in future. You cannot alter the past, but you sure can alter the present and the future. It’s up to you.” He said.

“But what do I do now? I… I don’t know.” I said, burying my face into my palms.

“We are all learning, Iseul ah~ It’s okay to make mistakes. Some mistakes are graver than another, but it’s okay. It’s not the end of the world. Just because you made a mistake doesn’t mean you’re going to die.” He said.

“I really don’t know.” I looked up at him.

“You’ll know when you’re supposed to know. Just bear in mind, whatever happens, you have us, and Doojoon especially.” He said.

“Thank you so much.” I said.

He smiled and continued to sponge Doojoon while I watch.

“Doo loves you a lot, Iseul ah~” He said suddenly.

“I know. I love him too.” I said.

“You don’t love him the way he loves you.” He said.

“What?” I asked.

“Just… treasure him.” He said.

“Of course.” I said softly.

Junhyung let out a small smile, but it seemed like it meant more than just a simple smile.